PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions for NJBA

Jetboatguru
08-27-2005, 12:43 PM
Why don't they cut down the number of classes and combine a few? It will build a bigger pot for payouts. The number of classes that NJBA is huge. Why not have just 5 bracket classes and the rest pro classes?

lucky
08-27-2005, 01:14 PM
Why don't they cut down the number of classes and combine a few? It will build a bigger pot for payouts. The number of classes that NJBA is huge. Why not have just 5 bracket classes and the rest pro classes?
yea and put a turn flag at the end !

BUSBY
08-27-2005, 01:54 PM
We've spoke about that ... but for our racers ... (most of the guys running the brackets are jets) ... it's hard to make whole second classes. To get a jet to pick up .5 in the 1/4 is huge. It would make it unfair for the guys running the .5 brackets $$$ wise.
Did I explain that right? I hope so ... some would have to spend a lot of money to step up ... and everyone knows no one would want to slow down ... even though it would be better for their budget if they couldn't afford it.
thoughts?

sdpm
08-27-2005, 02:09 PM
Hi Brian, I agree with Tony. It works for IHBA. Those classes are always full and only about 1/2 of them can run the number but they run anyways. Take alook at the boat counts in each bracket and see how it looks. How many run in the middle and are they close to that 1/2 sec. index. Who likes to go to a race with only 2 or 3 boats in your bracket?
Are you comming down to San Diego?

BUSBY
08-27-2005, 03:00 PM
yup ... not to run though ... I have to keep my engine together for the next two races to win the points championship in the TAH class & 7.0 bracket ... all I have to do is get registration points and qualify during both ...
so I need to take it easy and make as few passes as I can.
you going?

BUSBY
08-27-2005, 03:04 PM
Hi Brian, I agree with Tony. It works for IHBA. Those classes are always full and only about 1/2 of them can run the number but they run anyways. Take alook at the boat counts in each bracket and see how it looks. How many run in the middle and are they close to that 1/2 sec. index. Who likes to go to a race with only 2 or 3 boats in your bracket?
True ... I can see your point ... but there seem to be more in the .5 brackets than in the .0's ... so they would have to pick one I guess (faster or slower) ...
Well it has to be mailed in as a request. An active member has to suggest the rule change. So who's stepping up and mailin' it in?
Any others? Care to bring up ideas?

BUSBY
08-27-2005, 03:06 PM
Oh and thanks Tony ... for bringing it here for a positive spin. :boxed:

sdpm
08-27-2005, 03:26 PM
Yes, we will be there and racing. Come on buy and say hi.

Jetboatguru
08-27-2005, 03:45 PM
Brian, this is where the whole Sandbagging thingy comes into play. If it were allowed, people wouldn't have to spend a bunch of money to speed up.
Come by the K5 pit Brian.

BUSBY
08-27-2005, 03:54 PM
Okay guys ... I'll see you there.

BUSBY
08-27-2005, 05:19 PM
Yup ... the sandbaggin thing would be a huge factor ... I know cause I run a 7.0 to 7.1 every pass ... if I were runnin' a 7.60 boat ... I could lift
So, ??????????????????
No eliminating the sandbaggin ... right?

Bense468
08-27-2005, 05:20 PM
i say RUN IT

bp
08-27-2005, 08:02 PM
Brian, this is where the whole Sandbagging thingy comes into play. If it were allowed, people wouldn't have to spend a bunch of money to speed up.
Come by the K5 pit Brian.
i submitted another proposal on that one, hopefully it will make it. also hopefully, a little clearer than last years.
i will be there too. jbg, i still wanna shirt!

Willis
08-27-2005, 09:01 PM
bp,
:argue:
I sent your request to Jim G.
and he has to bring it to the board, however, it can be voted down at the sept meeting.
:boxingguy
Let the games begin
:messedup:
Will keep you posted
Willis

bp
08-27-2005, 09:10 PM
bp,
:argue:
I sent your request to Jim G.
and he has to bring it to the board, however, it can be voted down at the sept meeting.
:boxingguy
Let the games begin
:messedup:
Will keep you posted
Willis
thanks willis. i also sent a copy along to roger with my sep registration. all i can ask is that it's considered.
the second proposal should also be considered by the board and rescue for adoption, as it's related to safety.

Sleek-Jet
08-27-2005, 09:19 PM
Yup ... the sandbaggin thing would be a huge factor ... I know cause I run a 7.0 to 7.1 every pass ... if I were runnin' a 7.60 boat ... I could lift
So, ??????????????????
No eliminating the sandbaggin ... right?
Maybe a break-out rule then... or is there one already???

steelcomp
08-27-2005, 09:55 PM
i say RUN IT
Bense...that signature pic of yours is some sick sick shit. I don't for the life of me get it why someone could think that was "cool" to put under their name and be associated with it. Staged or not. F*cked up, dude.
Sorry for the hijack, but that just sucks.

BUSBY
08-27-2005, 11:15 PM
Bense...that signature pic of yours is some sick sick shit. I don't for the life of me get it why someone could think that was "cool" to put under their name and be associated with it. Staged or not. F*cked up, dude.
Sorry for the hijack, but that just sucks.
Scott ... I agree ... no matter if you need more shoe or not ... not a cool sig IMO.

BUSBY
08-27-2005, 11:27 PM
Maybe a break-out rule then... or is there one already???
Yes there is, a break out rule ... that is why there is a big disagreement about the sandbaggin' issue ... 1/2 say keep it because you should be under power the entire 1/4 mile ... the other 1/2 say to get rid of it because it's not possible to be accurate enough to tune your boat effectively by "the lift/pop off/down plate/ignition retard/fuel enrichment/whatever method"
I agree ... to both. They both have valid points ... Ideally, you should run the bracket you can ... under power running the number you can. However, I have been eliminated for sandbaggin' for saving my engine and idling through when my competitetion didn't start. I fu*ked up ...due to the rules in place today ... and accepted it, but it still sucked.
That's why I like running the pro classes better ... it doesn't matter either way ... if I lift, it doesn't matter ... if I cross first, I win ... no matter what.
To sum it up, there are pro's and con's to both having sandbaggin' rules and not having them ... but it's a never ending arguement ... and we don't need to start it up here (again) ... we'll have to send it out (again) in a more simple format on the ballot and see what the members vote for. It's that simple ... whatever the majority votes for will prevail ... so NJBA members ... start lobbying now! :D

Sleek-Jet
08-27-2005, 11:37 PM
So what happens if both boats breakout??? :confused:

Squirtin Thunder
08-27-2005, 11:48 PM
So what happens if both boats breakout??? :confused:
The way it used to be was the one who broke out the least won. Not sure how it is now.
Just say an 11.0 dial in
racer #1 runs 10.90
racer #2 runs 10.50
Racer #1 wins !!!

NELSON#109
08-28-2005, 02:31 AM
i submitted another proposal on that one, hopefully it will make it. also hopefully, a little clearer than last years.
i will be there too. jbg, i still wanna shirt!
BOB, YOUR MY HERO... I'LL BACK YOU ON THAT ONE ALL DAY. THAT WORD SHOULD'NT EXIST IN THIS SPORT... IT'S TOO VAGUE... PEOPLE ARE STILL DOING IT IN OTHER WAYS... IT'S RACING!!!!!!

NELSON#109
08-28-2005, 02:46 AM
Ooohhh Yeeeaaaaaa... I Say Get A Gosh Danged Beer Booth... I Know Why We Dont Have One, But I Dont Like That Reason. Im Not Sayin This Just Because I Like To Partake In A Little Good Old Fashioned Drunkery... We All Know I Keep It Respectfull Untill The Racin Is Done, And The Tubin Begins... But The Simple Fact Is, Beer Brings People To The Track... Im Getin Tired Of Beating Cs19, And Theres No One There To Share My Excitement... It Seems Like Im The Only One That Realizes That My Boat Is Much Faster Than Chris Starkweathers Boat. I Mean Seriously... If More People Showed Up, More People Would Tell Him Its About Time He Made His Boat Fast Enough To Keep Up With All That Speed The #109 Boat Is Throwing At The Water. You Would All Be Suprised At What Beer (when Taken Excessivly, Yet Some What Responsibly), Can Help Occomplish(sp)..... One More Thing "beat It"... Oohh Yyeeeaa.. If There Aint No Beer Booth, Ill Be Forced To Take My Tube Else Where For That Wekend.... Nelson#109

Jetboatguru
08-28-2005, 07:01 AM
Squirtin Thunder,
You are incorrect. Before, if both boats red lit or broke out they would both be eliminated. Now how stupid was that. This was the rule up until just 2 years ago. They finally made the change and now the lesser of 2 evils is the winner.
Brian, if we showed up to the meeting with 30 people and voted against the current sandbagging rule, is there still a chance that we would lose?

steelcomp
08-28-2005, 07:03 AM
Ooohhh Yeeeaaaaaa... I Say Get A Gosh Danged Beer Booth... I Know Why We Dont Have One, But I Dont Like That Reason. Im Not Sayin This Just Because I Like To Partake In A Little Good Old Fashioned Drunkery... We All Know I Keep It Respectfull Untill The Racin Is Done, And The Tubin Begins... But The Simple Fact Is, Beer Brings People To The Track... Im Getin Tired Of Beating Cs19, And Theres No One There To Share My Excitement... It Seems Like Im The Only One That Realizes That My Boat Is Much Faster Than Chris Starkweathers Boat. I Mean Seriously... If More People Showed Up, More People Would Tell Him Its About Time He Made His Boat Fast Enough To Keep Up With All That Speed The #109 Boat Is Throwing At The Water. You Would All Be Suprised At What Beer (when Taken Excessivly, Yet Some What Responsibly), Can Help Occomplish(sp)..... One More Thing "beat It"... Oohh Yyeeeaa.. If There Aint No Beer Booth, Ill Be Forced To Take My Tube Else Where For That Wekend.... Nelson#109
Great post, Nelson...at 3:46 in the morning. Got BEER??? :D

steelcomp
08-28-2005, 07:05 AM
Squirtin Thunder,
You are incorrect. Before, if both boats red lit or broke out they would both be eliminated. Now how stupid was that. This was the rule up until just 2 years ago. They finally made the change and now the lesser of 2 evils is the winner.
Brian, if we showed up to the meeting with 30 people and voted against the current sandbagging rule, is there still a chance that we would lose?
With the current sandbagging rule, who's to determin who's sand bagging, and how do they enforce it?

BUSBY
08-28-2005, 08:38 AM
Well Scott, unfortunately ... that would be me. That is why I would love the members to get rid of that rule ... too many "grey areas". And usually, I become the assh*le to one of the two who ran.
Tony, I'm sure it will make the ballot ... so not need to show up. THE MEMBERS JUST NEED TO MAIL THEIR BALLOT BACK IN TO HAVE THEIR VOTE HEARD! Sorry for speaking loudly (trying to get everyones attention)... I think there was a lack of votes for eliminating the rule last year ... that is why it is still in place, not due to most the fact that everyone likes it so much ... but because 1/2 of the members didn't respond. :hammer2:
The best thing about this forum is we can talk about stuff like this BEFORE the ballot is made and BEFORE the ballots go out.

BUSBY
08-28-2005, 08:46 AM
With the current sandbagging rule, who's to determin who's sand bagging, and how do they enforce it?
To be a little more clear ... as soon as a protest is made, the tower contacts me. I call to stop racing. At that point I have to contact 2 other board members, the Tech team member from 1/2 track & rescue. We meet up to review the pass via video. We also ask resuce 1 & 2 Boat Captians what they had seen & heard.
Usually the video shows what happened pretty clearly. It makes it harder when Redding Video is not present ... I don't usually like going off of other's opinions ... it leaves too large of an opening for interpertation (sp) ...
During all of this drama ... the guys on the rope have to wait. A load of crap IMO. But I do not make the rules ... I'm only the guy who is seen as the assh*le who makes the final decision. The decision that the members are forcing me to make ... so guys, please vote to get rid of this grey area rule!

BUSBY
08-28-2005, 09:00 AM
So enough with sandbaggin' ... we know what needs to happen ... lets move on to other areas of suggestions ... suggetions that members can mail in within the next 3 days to Jim Guthrie or Rodger Roadstrom ... their address' can be found here:
http://www.njbaracing.net/contact.php
PLEASE REMEMBER ...ALL SUGGESTIONS THAT YOU WOULD LIKE TO MAKE FOR RULE CHANGES MUST BE POSTMARKED BY SEPT 1st! IF NOT THE WILL NOT MAKE THE ADGENDA ... MAIL THEM OFF ASAP!
No one can say "I didn't have enough time, no one told me". We sent it out via regular mail and I posted it here at the beginning of the month:
http://www2.***boat.com/forums/showthread.php?t=88405&page=1&pp=25

bp
08-28-2005, 09:18 AM
I agree ... to both. They both have valid points ... Ideally, you should run the bracket you can ... under power running the number you can. However, I have been eliminated for sandbaggin' for saving my engine and idling through when my competitetion didn't start. I fu*ked up ...due to the rules in place today ... and accepted it, but it still sucked.
:D
and this is one of the most significant problems with the implementation of this rule, as it currently exists. by rule, the other guy sandbagged first. as stated: "anything to slow the boat down, either mechanical or non-mechanical during a run is considered sandbagging.
consequently, if the other guy doesn't leave the rope, forgets to turn on his fuel pump, stops in the middle of the course, does ANYTHING that prevents engagement in the lights, he has sandbagged FIRST.
so, essentially what you have done, is reward the FIRST sandbagger by advancing him/her to the next round, and disqualified the SECOND sandbagger for easing out because the FIRST sandbagger FAILED TO ENGAGE IN A RACE! this backward interpretation is why disagreements, arguments, and fights occur, and why people just say the hell with it and don't come back.
sandbagging can only occur when two boats are fully engaged entering the lights, and one boat knows he has too much (like you brian, running the 10s). you know you have to back off, so you do, but how much?
at chowchilla in june, john rodgers ran 9.60s both passes on saturday, first round sunday we left almost identically. he put his bow three feet behind mine all the way down; he could have easily passed me, but didn't know what i'd do, would i ease out? run it through? it makes a drivers race out of it.
as far as not being able to tune? that's total bs. in may, i ran an .07 against phil sparks at ming, under power the whole way, no tricks. in june, an .01, then tuned to an .08 when needed. at chow, an .02 against john.
at marble falls, in 4700' of air, an .03, and the next morning a .02. in marble falls, there were 4 flats ahead of me with .00s. don't tell ME that can't be done - those numbers aren't shots in the dark. roznos does the same thing.
and even running decent numbers, we can all be beaten if someone is willing to do the work. just check out september ***boat (yes, the magazine) dragboat results. the roost on the other side of rick's hydro is mine :hammer2:

BUSBY
08-28-2005, 10:36 AM
(like you brian, running the 10s).
So I don't get my ego too crushed ... that's .10's right Bob? Not 10.0's. :D
And you stated that very well ... that is why we need it (Sandbaggin' rule) to go away. IMO.
Brian

Cs19
08-28-2005, 02:21 PM
If the rules get changed, will the half sec. classes get tossed also? Or will that be a seperate decision?
I think its a good idea (no 1/2 sec brackets) so the other classes will pay out..Im all for it, but Im concerned the boat count will drop significantly.Like busby said, to find another 1/2 sec in most boats = lotsa $$$ and im afraid some will just say fawk it, no more racin'.The 8.50 class is one of the most stacked brackets, what will all those guys do?

steelcomp
08-28-2005, 03:01 PM
Isn't it true that a smart racer would always run the next slower bracket so he would always have room to work with his numbers?? Say a boat will run 9.50's at it's best, but will consistantly run in the 70's and 80's, no matter the conditions. Wouldn't it be more fun, and better racing for that guy to go ahead and run in the 10.0 class working on his consistancy and driving rather than try and move up to the 9.0 class (given that the .5 classes are eliminated) Isn't that what bracket racing is supposed top be about? I think it might bring a sigh of relief to some guys who can't run the faster "0"hs. That is if they really want to keep racing. If it's just about sheer performance, isn't that what the classes are for?
Forgive my ignorance here. Just trying to learn.

bp
08-28-2005, 04:03 PM
If the rules get changed, will the half sec. classes get tossed also? Or will that be a seperate decision?
I think its a good idea (no 1/2 sec brackets) so the other classes will pay out..Im all for it, but Im concerned the boat count will drop significantly.Like busby said, to find another 1/2 sec in most boats = lotsa $$$ and im afraid some will just say fawk it, no more racin'.The 8.50 class is one of the most stacked brackets, what will all those guys do?
only my opinion, but i feel that as long as a class is "healthy", it should run. the halfs should still be offered, and as long as there are plenty of boats, they should run the class. on the other hand...
the glitch, as i see it, is with the qualification rule. say you come out to run the 8 second class, qualify with an 8.12, only to find that you are the only boat in the class. you've paid your entry, now what? there's a 7.50 class and an 8.50 class. with the qualification rule the way it is, you automatically get zapped into the 7.50 class, where you have no chance to compete. your only chance is if the competition breaks, redlights, or falls asleep, which is not racing. on the other hand, if you were allowed to back up to the 8.50 class, you may not know where your boat is with respect to the breakout, but you'd at least have a fighting competitive chance. now, the people running that class that seldom run better than 8.70, and cannot run the number are initially gonna be bawlin like crazy. but, if they think for a second, they will realize they still have an advantage, and if they want, will work to run the number.
at the end, i don't really think it matters whether it's a whole number or a half; people will gravitate to where the competition is, as long as the rules allow for it.
the example of forcing that 8.0 guy into the 7.50s was only that; an example. but it can very easily happen, and has happened in the past, and if a person doesn't feel that he's getting a fair shake in competition, he'll stay home.

sdpm
08-28-2005, 05:36 PM
So I don't get my ego too crushed ... that's .10's right Bob? Not 10.0's. :D
And you stated that very well ... that is why we need it (Sandbaggin' rule) to go away. IMO.
Brian
Just think of all the parts you won't break running the 10.00 class. :D

bp
08-28-2005, 07:27 PM
o c'mon neil.. if there's a will, there's a way.. and brian trys awful hard :D :D

BUSBY
08-28-2005, 07:29 PM
Dude ... that's what I'm talkin' about ... I could gear down and run 5% under! Wouldn't that be nice ... 1 motor per year ... oh the thought of it! :D :D :D

sdpm
08-29-2005, 07:41 AM
Your right Bob, he does try probably way to hard. He always seems to get the job done though. I hear that there might be a few more PGH's comming out next year? If that is the case, we might be back to play. I really do miss running at Bakersfield. See you in S.D.. Neil

BUSBY
08-29-2005, 08:05 AM
o c'mon neil.. if there's a will, there's a way.. and brian trys awful hard :D :D
THAT'S RIGHT! :D My Dad always told me ... "If you're going to do something ... NEVER do it half ass!"
So when it comes to blowing up engines ... I am great at it! Not doing it half ass! :D

sdpm
08-29-2005, 08:17 AM
Brian, check your PM's

Moneypitt
08-29-2005, 09:10 AM
So the brackets are not brackets at all, but indexes. The start is not staggered to reflect the boats "dial in", but are just an et index........without staggered lights, NHRA style.........MP

bp
08-29-2005, 11:13 AM
this is kind of a mixed bag, so i'll try to respond to it as best i can.
So the brackets are not brackets at all,
not necessarily true. the "index" that you are referring to, would be your breakout. but, the "bracket" that you fall into would be 7.50-8.0, 8.0-8.50, or in other organizations 8.0-9.0. some organizations name the brackets, i.e., 8.0-9.0 is pro eliminator.
but indexes.
an "index" such as in super comp (nhra) or pro comp eliminator (ihba), or comp eliminator (nhra) is an assigned number. in pce or ce, that number is based on a record. there is no "bracket", but one number, and there is no "breakout". with super comp, again there is one number and there is a breakout, but there is no bracketting.
The start is not staggered to reflect the boats "dial in"
njba lights do not have staggered start capability. ihba does, and does run pce based on indexes, and also runs river racer and a second chance gambler based on driver selected "dial in", with staggered start. interesting to watch a jet ski run a pro-mod!
but are just an et index........without staggered lights
it IS an et index, but the indexes are aligned in "brackets"? hope that makes sense.

BUSBY
08-29-2005, 11:21 AM
Bravo Bob ... I got it ... and while you have to jump around to follow ... it all made sense. (to me at least) ... good job.
Brian

BUSBY
08-29-2005, 11:23 AM
did you guys know that the 6.50-6.99 bracket is still in place in NJBA?
:idea: Hmmmm ... makes me think ... :D

BUSBY
08-29-2005, 11:25 AM
Brian, check your PM's
Got it and replied ... :cool:
Brian

roostwear
08-29-2005, 11:27 AM
Is there a 16.0 bracket? If I have the bimini up, is that sandbagging? :eek:

Moneypitt
08-29-2005, 12:47 PM
My point was if NJBA went to a staggered light tree you could compress several "brackets" into 2 or 3 total....Handicapped starts and driver dial ins. This would especially work in a class simular to the river racer deal..........MP

BUSBY
08-29-2005, 03:45 PM
14.99 + :D

BUSBY
08-29-2005, 03:48 PM
My point was if NJBA went to a staggered light tree you could compress several "brackets" into 2 or 3 total....Handicapped starts and driver dial ins. This would especially work in a class simular to the river racer deal..........MP
We are set up for striaght up racing, no indexing.
We cannot stagger the lights, therefore the .5 second brackets ... it's about another $15k for the setup to stagger (or index) ... and revenues will not accomodate that at this point (at least with NJBA, unless people start helping the club out w/o complaining about small fees ... :jawdrop: )

BUSBY
08-29-2005, 03:49 PM
Sorry ... couldn't resist ... let's drop it as CS19 (Chris) said. :D

Nucking futs
08-29-2005, 04:33 PM
We are set up for striaght up racing, no indexing.
We cannot stagger the lights, therefore the .5 second brackets ... it's about another $15k for the setup to stagger (or index) ... and revenues will not accomodate that at this point (at least with NJBA, unless people start helping the club out w/o complaining about small fees ... :jawdrop: )
On another note to staggered lights, the first boats wake will play havick on the last to leave. Not good.

bp
08-29-2005, 05:44 PM
On another note to staggered lights, the first boats wake will play havick on the last to leave. Not good.
i've seen lots of gambler racing, lots of pce racing, seen a 15+ second jet boat run against a pro-mod. the pro-mod didn't seem to mind, as it was a photo finish. there's a lot worse conditions that we run in from time to time, than one wake to deal with. just check the pics from marble falls.. we can either choose to run or not, but mostly, i choose to run.
moneypit, those ideas have been tossed around, but as brian said, the cost is about 15k, which is about what it cost cdba to upgrade theirs a year or two ago. having a dual system does open up a lot of possible combinations.

mj680
08-29-2005, 08:15 PM
Thats a great idea :idea: I have been telling this to NJBA for 5 years. But its a IHBA deal,so it does't get much consideration from the old timers. :D :D

mj680
08-29-2005, 08:20 PM
This doesn't happen at IHBA or SDBA races. :confused: :confused: :confused:

BUSBY
08-29-2005, 08:39 PM
Thats a great idea :idea: I have been telling this to NJBA for 5 years. But its a IHBA deal,so it does't get much consideration from the old timers. :D :D
No ... I don't think it's an old timer deal ... it's a $$$$ deal ... do you want to sponsor the funds to convert the system to make it happen? If so ... I'll make sure that I let the club know about your generosity ... :idea:

BUSBY
08-29-2005, 08:42 PM
Everyone needs to remember that changes cost ... and with your reccomendations ... you should come up with ideas to fund them ... all changes cost ...

Moneypitt
08-29-2005, 08:47 PM
What about the "Radio Shack" NJBA.......Let then supply all your related needs and name the race series after them!!...Wow, how'd did I come up with that? MP

bottom feeder
08-29-2005, 08:48 PM
Busby,
What timing system does the NJBA use?

BUSBY
08-29-2005, 10:28 PM
Busby,
What timing system does the NJBA use?
NJBA gives a 1/4, 1/8 and reaction time ... do you need more?

bottom feeder
08-29-2005, 10:31 PM
I was thinking more like brand. Ie Compulink or Something elese?

bp
08-30-2005, 04:59 AM
it was a "brand name" company (not compulink) that built cdba's new lights.. can't remember the name at the moment, if i did a search, i'd find it, maybe jim d will mention it. anyway, there are a number of companys that make timing systems, just not for water, and they have to be adapted for water use, and dragboat starting. but it is a fairly significant cost.

mj680
08-30-2005, 05:07 AM
No ... I don't think it's an old timer deal ... it's a $$$$ deal ... do you want to sponsor the funds to convert the system to make it happen? If so ... I'll make sure that I let the club know about your generosity ... :idea:
Use the IHBA staggert start lights and make it a co-sanctioned race.
You would get the lights and all the DIV 1 Boats.Somebody should talk to Charlie.Now that a old timer deal for sure. :D :D

BUSBY
08-30-2005, 08:33 AM
Use the IHBA staggert start lights and make it a co-sanctioned race.
You would get the lights and all the DIV 1 Boats.Somebody should talk to Charlie.Now that a old timer deal for sure. :D :D
You have a point there ...

Norseman
08-30-2005, 09:06 AM
True ... I can see your point ... but there seem to be more in the .5 brackets than in the .0's ... so they would have to pick one I guess (faster or slower) ...
Well it has to be mailed in as a request. An active member has to suggest the rule change. So who's stepping up and mailin' it in?
Any others? Care to bring up ideas?
Not to be a smart ass, but if you have more boats in the .5 brackets then set those up as the classes.......

BUSBY
08-30-2005, 09:10 AM
To answer your question ... something else ...
The system we have currently is an evolution in itself ... (the system was IHBA's original system and is updated every year)
It started off as a white light system, then moved into infra-red and currently is a vis-red system.
It was the first system that offered dual lane timing (gave the oppertunity to eliminate "pairing" starts) and reaction timing capabilities.
The system was built by Jack Podesto and engineered by Rowland Harper. It was built as a singular system and isn't adaptable to any other system. Rowland is now getting very old and is in poor health ... so changing anything is going to be very hard as he is the brains behind the whole system.
I have been working with Alan Doerr (our starter and timing light guru) over the last two years to document as much as possible about the system/setup and how/why changes are made when they are.
It (IMO) is an awesome system ... and will have the capabilities of staggering lights in the future ... not right now though, we have to write the code in the operating system to make it happen ... all of the signals are there, it just takes time to make it happen ... and, since we are all volunteers doing this in our extra time, it makes it kind of hard.

BUSBY
08-30-2005, 09:13 AM
Not to be a smart ass, but if you have more boats in the .5 brackets then set those up as the classes.......
:idea:
Good point ...
but they still need to mail their request in to make it a subject to be spoken about ...

Norseman
08-30-2005, 09:20 AM
Only if you put it up at 1/2 track!! :sleeping:

bottom feeder
08-30-2005, 09:31 AM
Thanks for the replie. In my short life I have see time and time agin that the system is dependant upon a few dedicated people. Does not matter if it is a timeing system, or the lady that comes around to collect camping fees. With out one the others need not show up. Just the view from here.
Best regards
Brian

hellman2u
08-30-2005, 12:37 PM
Bob to answer your question , the company is Race America I believe. Even with the new system , there is some old technologies involved in the programming which make it time consuming and a huge learning curve to make it work in a timely fashion. Tony works very hard at it , but as Brian said in a volunteer capacity its tough. The club will be working on the system hard this winter to work on some bugs. Index is now being used in our second chance buy in fun rounds and IHBA co sanctoined R/R class. $$$$$ are always the biggie when working on this stuff. Jim DeBoard CDBA #439