PDA

View Full Version : Starting problem??????

Aqua Boogie1
10-09-2003, 09:34 AM
Ok heres the problem..........I was out at the lost isle and lost the keys to the boat. Yeah I know....hide-a-key, but any I had to hot wire the boat to get home. But halfway home the engine stalled on me. I tryed to hot wire it again and no juice to nothing. I replace the starter switch, the solenoid and still no juice to the starter. But I can jump the motor from the solenoid. Question????? Do you guys think its just the wiring from the starter switch to the solenoid, cause the wires still look unburned or what else could it be??? :confused:

OMEGA_BUBBLE_JET
10-09-2003, 09:49 AM
Aqua Boogie1:
Ok heres the problem..........I was out at the lost isle and lost the keys to the boat. Yeah I know....hide-a-key, but any I had to hot wire the boat to get home. But halfway home the engine stalled on me. I tryed to hot wire it again and no juice to nothing. I replace the starter switch, the solenoid and still no juice to the starter. But I can jump the motor from the solenoid. Question????? Do you guys think its just the wiring from the starter switch to the solenoid, cause the wires still look unburned or what else could it be??? :confused: check for a blown fuse under the dash. chances are if you hot wired and left the hot wire dangling it might have grounded on something and blown the fuse. should be an inline bus fuse. usually in the middle of the bird's nest of wires. Good luck
Omega

Hustler
10-09-2003, 09:50 AM
Stupid question but do you have main breaker that might be triped? what kind of boat is it? and what kind of motor package?

Aqua Boogie1
10-09-2003, 10:57 AM
Omega, haven't found a inline fuse,so I figuring and burnt wire I can't see. I will check again. Thanxs
Hustler, My boat is a 78 marlin with a 403olds. so You can imagine what the wiring looks like. So I guess I have a wiring job for the off season. Thanxs for the help guys!!!!
Doug

OMEGA_BUBBLE_JET
10-09-2003, 11:47 AM
Aqua Boogie1:
Omega, haven't found a inline fuse,so I figuring and burnt wire I can't see. I will check again. Thanxs
Hustler, My boat is a 78 marlin with a 403olds. so You can imagine what the wiring looks like. So I guess I have a wiring job for the off season. Thanxs for the help guys!!!!
Doug the ignition should always have a fuse on it. As Hustler mentioned look for a circuit breaker under the terminal block on the back of the engine. Do all your guages and switches work otherwise? If so you may just have a dead switch. Invest in a test light and get stabbing. I hate wiring... :(
Omega

Aqua Boogie1
10-09-2003, 12:23 PM
Yeah I have a test light and I will check for that breaker. I hate wiring also!!!!! Yes The gauges work, but I will check for that breaker switch.
Thanxs......Aqua

OMEGA_BUBBLE_JET
10-09-2003, 12:33 PM
Aqua Boogie1:
Yeah I have a test light and I will check for that breaker. I hate wiring also!!!!! Yes The gauges work, but I will check for that breaker switch.
Thanxs......Aqua if everything else is working it's not the circuit breaker. got to be the switch or a fuse or a burnt wire. more likely it's a bad switch or a fuse.
Omega

Maxey
10-12-2003, 08:15 AM
Aqua,
You may have a burnt "fuseable link" . It would look like a short wire spliced into the main feed from the battery or sometimes at the starter to
the rest of the electrical system. It may "look"
good externally, but be open. Use a test light to
verify.
Maxey

powerplay230
10-12-2003, 04:42 PM
Is there a safety kill switch? maybe it shorted?

Aqua Boogie1
10-14-2003, 02:37 PM
Thanxs guys......I will check all of those things and let you know the result.