PDA

View Full Version : I got mad today!

OGShocker
08-27-2005, 02:57 PM
Today I had a visit from a MAJOR customer of ours. I have know this guy for 10 or so years. I took him into our shipping department to show off our latest products. We get to the bench where my S&R clerk had set up the demo units and the radio is on and a commercial was playing. Then some HipHop "beat the biatch" type song comes on and my customer gets that "NICE SONG" look in his eye and pushes to end our meeting sooner than we had planned. I am sure I have told S&R guy to make sure that his radio is to be tuned to a non-offending station, 10 times, since we have walk-ins all the time. My customer leaves a little while later and I go off on my little tantrum.
I walked out to my metal rack and found a piece of 1.5" aluminum bar stock four foot long. I grab my production manager and the S&R guy and go to the offending radio. I pulled the radio from its place and SMASHED the living sh*t out of it. I hit it so hard my hands were buzzing from the blow 20 minutes later. I am not sure, but I think I made a lasting impression. I am just not sure what that immpression is. ;)

Rock-A-Bye-Baby
08-27-2005, 02:58 PM
i love that!!!
if they can't get what your saying by the third time, take it upon yourself to get it done!!!!

djunkie
08-27-2005, 02:58 PM
Today I had a visit from a MAJOR customer of ours. I have know this guy for 10 or so years. I took him into our shipping department to show off our latest products. We get to the bench where my S&R clerk had set up the demo units and the radio is on and a commercial was playing. Then some HipHop "beat the biatch" type song comes on and my customer gets that "NICE SONG" look in his eye and pushes to end our meeting sooner than we had planned. I am sure I have told S&R guy to make sure that his radio is to be tuned to a non-offending station, 10 times, since we have walk-ins all the time. My customer leaves a little while later and I go off on my little tantrum.
I walked out to my metal rack and found a piece of 1.5" aluminum bar stock four foot long. I grab my production manager and the S&R guy and go to the offending radio. I pulled the radio from its place and SMASHED the living sh*t out of it. I hit it so hard my hands were buzzing from the blow 20 minutes later. I am not sure, but I think I made a lasting impression. I am just not sure what that immpression is. ;)
So I take it you don't like rap music? :p

spectratoad
08-27-2005, 02:59 PM
Did you give him his radio back in a bag with his last paycheck stapled to the bag??? :boxingguy :mad: :mad:

ROZ
I think that's called a lasting depression.... on the boombox and workbench,,, :D

LAFD
fricken crazy person. haha j/k. i would have hit the s&r guy....

OGShocker
08-27-2005, 03:00 PM
So I take it you don't like rap music? :p
Only when I've been drinking, wearing my boxers and leaning on your work truck relaxing! :D

LAFD
08-27-2005, 03:01 PM
Only when I've been drinking, wearing my boxers and leaning on your work truck relaxing! :D
haha. and pressure washin his rims.....

topless
I walked out to my metal rack and found a piece of 1.5" aluminum bar stock four foot long. I grab my production manager and the S&R guy and go to the offending radio. I pulled the radio from its place and SMASHED the living sh*t out of it. I hit it so hard my hands were buzzing from the blow 20 minutes later. I am not sure, but I think I made a lasting impression. I am just not sure what that immpression is. ;)I bet they thought "WOW., his hands will be buzzing for at least 20 minuteas"! :2purples:

djunkie
LOL!!!! ****er :hammerhea :D

SHAKE-YO-AZZ
mmmmmmm I guess no 50 cent huh LMAO, I feel your pain there is a time and a place for all music

Essex29
08-27-2005, 03:02 PM
Maybe you should talk to someone for these anger spurts. :)

ahhell
08-27-2005, 03:07 PM
I was in our storage facility at the hospital I work at and some teens had a rap station tuned in....WHAT THE HELL...I find myself to be a laid back guy , but the lyrics on these songs were amazing at best...graphic descriptions of sex acts all through the song,s not to mention profanities and and inuendoes (sp)....That shiat aint right, or Im too old
and I wonder why the youth of today have no morals... :confused: :confused: :confused:

jbtrailerjim
08-27-2005, 03:08 PM
My guys in my shop are all Mexican. They always have that shit mariachi(sp) music playing. Nothing pisses me off more than if I have a customer come over and I walk them out in the shop and they have that shit blasting. I usually give one of the guys that look and they go turn it off.
Smashing the radio though, sounds like a lot more fun! :D

Mrs. HOOTER SLED
08-27-2005, 03:08 PM
Go home and take it out on the wifey in a good but strong way!!!! :D

08-27-2005, 03:17 PM
I know exactly what you went thru. My wife and I own a Deli and a couple of the employees would put that crap on when she wasn't there and had it cranked up loud enough for the customers to hear the words clearly. We made it known to them if its ever on again the radio goes and you will be looking for another job. We didn't need to get as dramatic but I wouldn't have thought twice to do what you did.

cxr133
08-27-2005, 03:26 PM
its ok...
i guess an even trade one radio for all the shit ive already stolen outta the shop.
plus i bet his hands hurt for like 20 min afterwards

Essex29
08-27-2005, 03:26 PM
At your advanced age, it probably wouldn't hurt for you to consider the switch to graphite. :D
Nice golf humor :cool:

MOBrien
08-27-2005, 03:29 PM
I walked out to my metal rack and found a piece of 1.5" aluminum bar stock four foot long........I pulled the radio from its place and SMASHED the living sh*t out of it. I hit it so hard my hands were buzzing from the blow..........
That is focking hilarious!!!!!!! Nice work. Totally reminds me of the "stairway" scene in Animal House when Belushi ripped the guitar from the hands of that weird poet dude and smashed the fock out of it against the wall and steps. Please tell us you have vid surveillance in that area and can come up with the tape. That'd be friggin funny to see....especially the look on S&R dude's face. Duuhuhuhuuuuuude..... my radio. You broke it. :hammerhea
classic!

hoolign
He he sounds like what I would do :D Shoulda give your client a set of safety glasses and let him do it :D

MagicMtnDan
I'm sympathetic (I work with customers too) but I'm just curious why you didn't avoid that altogether and let them know to turn the focking radio off before you took the customer our there?
By the way, your employee will probably have a lawsuit on your desk next week. Smashing their personal property is probably against 4 or 5 laws here in Taxifornia. :D

hoolign
08-27-2005, 03:31 PM
Dude..I didnt need that visual :D just out of morbid curiosity...why are you impaired in your underwear.....leaning up on his truck??? :D

OGShocker
08-27-2005, 03:32 PM
I'm sympathetic (I work with customers too) but I'm just curious why you didn't avoid that altogether and let them know to turn the focking radio off before you took the customer our there?
By the way, your employee will probably have a lawsuit on your desk next week. Smashing their personal property is probably against 4 or 5 laws here in Taxifornia. :D
Ahh, there's the rub, it was MY radio...

OGShocker
08-27-2005, 03:34 PM
Dude..I didnt need that visual :D just out of morbid curiosity...why are you impaired in your underwear.....leaning up on his truck??? :D
I was trying to hold the truck up and I am sure you need a visual now and again.. :D :notam:

PowellScooter
08-27-2005, 03:36 PM
"I walked out to my metal rack and found a piece of 1.5" aluminum bar stock four foot long. I grab my production manager and the S&R guy and go to the offending radio. I pulled the radio from its place and SMASHED the living sh*t out of it. I hit it so hard my hands were buzzing from the blow 20 minutes later. I am not sure, but I think I made a lasting impression. I am just not sure what that immpression
:sqeyes: self control :sqeyes:

HOOTER SLED-
08-27-2005, 03:37 PM
Temper temper Mark. :D I didn't know you were a cuctom audio guy too. Can you hook me up with my car stereo?? LOL

Mike.A
08-27-2005, 03:39 PM
No comment :jawdrop:
Must be my post count :confused:

OGShocker
"I walked out to my metal rack and found a piece of 1.5" aluminum bar stock four foot long. I grab my production manager and the S&R guy and go to the offending radio. I pulled the radio from its place and SMASHED the living sh*t out of it. I hit it so hard my hands were buzzing from the blow 20 minutes later. I am not sure, but I think I made a lasting impression. I am just not sure what that immpression
:sqeyes: self control :sqeyes:
I exhibited GREAT self control, I was going to use my 12 gauge! :supp:

Biglue
Have you considered anger management courses?

OGShocker
08-27-2005, 03:40 PM
I am normally a pretty calm guy. :eek: :wink:

ROZ
08-27-2005, 03:42 PM
OGShocker, there are 2 side to the story... You may have broken your radio but you have not broken my spirit. Tomorrow I will bring in my own radio, and ship non of your pruduct. And I'm taking Monday and Tuesday off desgretionry as stress leave, so you can forget about your end of the month push! :D

Biglue
08-27-2005, 03:42 PM
I am normally a pretty calm guy. :eek: :wink:
It's very apparent :D
We have a pretty tight crew her at work and they police themselves about that kinda crap. They know when it needs to be shut down.
If they start lacking in this regard, I'll post your first post in the thread on the employee bulletin board. :D

Water Romper
08-27-2005, 03:45 PM
I think there may be an un-employed, wanna-be truck driver who does not listen to management around…maybe he can come take the radio AND the idiot rap listener away for you… :crossx:

Mike.A
08-27-2005, 03:46 PM
Lmao

Daughter
08-27-2005, 03:46 PM
I think I will work on getting you that job... :)

dimarcobros
08-27-2005, 03:48 PM
Don't you have boats that need to be done for the weekend? :D Back to work.
DMB

OGShocker
08-27-2005, 03:49 PM
When I am done here I am going to buy an ice cream truck in Alaska.

SnakeWrench
08-27-2005, 03:50 PM
Sweet. That's what I was waiting for!!! Yeah, now he really thinks your nuts. Hehe! I love it. Good job. I for one am sure my boss would love to beat me about the head with a long stick, but I bet if I had a radio at work, he'd a done kilt it by now!! :hammerhea

BADBLOWN572
08-27-2005, 03:51 PM
When working at the boat shop, the guys always listened to Rap (Crap that I hate). I got tired of it so one night I changed the station to country music and filled up the tuner with resin. Never heard rap out of that radio again. :p :cool: :)

SnakeWrench
08-27-2005, 03:52 PM
NOPE, JUST MORE CHEAP BOOM BOXES!!!

Havasu47
08-27-2005, 03:52 PM
LMAO!!! First time you did it with a 2 x 4 and now aluminum. What's next...... dynamite??? :D
Next time you come to my shop stay the F*ck away from my stereo!!! :D :D

OGShocker
08-27-2005, 03:53 PM
When working at the boat shop, the guys always listened to Rap (Crap that I hate). I got tired of it so one night I changed the station to country music and filled up the tuner with resin. Never heard rap out of that radio again. :p :cool: :)
Sure now you tell me, after I beat the s**t outta my own radio... :wink:

Havasu47
08-27-2005, 03:53 PM
Don't you have boats that need to be done for the weekend? :D Back to work.
DMB
Boats..... what boats???
Don't you need a new Dimarco????? :rollside:

OGShocker
08-27-2005, 03:55 PM
LMAO!!! First time you did it with a 2 x 4 and now aluminum. What's next...... dynamite??? :D
Next time you come to my shop stay the F*ck away from my stereo!!! :D :D
GREAT! Now the whole HBF is going to think I am nutz! This is the second time this has happend. The last time was more like a line drive as opposed to a crushing blow.

hbpdub
08-27-2005, 03:56 PM
Your s&r guy probably thinks your fcking Pyscho. But at least he knows your serious when you tell him to do something.

Havasu47
08-27-2005, 03:57 PM
[QUOTE=OGShocker]GREAT! Now the whole HBF is going to think I am nutz! QUOTE]
What's different now?????

OGShocker
08-27-2005, 03:59 PM
[QUOTE=OGShocker]GREAT! Now the whole HBF is going to think I am nutz! QUOTE]
What's different now?????
You do have a point. Now get back to work before Dane goes medieval on you.

Havasu47
08-27-2005, 04:01 PM
You do have a point. Now get back to work before Dane goes medieval on you.
Are you nuts??? Oh yeah, you are.
It's hot out there!!

Jrocket
08-27-2005, 04:04 PM
Sounds like you and Mike A. need to go in on a partnership or something. :D

ROZ
08-27-2005, 04:09 PM
Sounds like you and Mike A. need to go in on a partnership or something. :D
Maybe he can hire Mike A's delivery guy for his S and R :D

uncle larry
08-27-2005, 04:15 PM
go mark go

BoatFloating
08-27-2005, 04:24 PM
Sounds like what a manager did at my work a few years back... :confused:
Long story short... The manager got fired and sued for creating a hostile work envoriment by the employee that he smashed the radio of. You got to remember what state you work in..... The employee walked away with about $500K. I hope your employees don't have a good laywer.... :jawdrop:

Havasu Hangin'
08-27-2005, 04:27 PM
Sounds like what a manager did at my work a few years back... :confused:
Long story short... The manager got fired and sued for creating a hostile work envoriment by the employee that he smashed the radio of. You got to remember what state you work in..... The employee walked away with about $500K. I hope your employees don't have a good laywer.... :jawdrop:
No kidding. I wish the owner of my company would do that to me...
..I do have a good lawyer.

Norseman
08-27-2005, 04:40 PM
Then he can't say much, can he. Of course I'm sure he thinks your one CarzY MOFO!!!! :devil: :devil:

Mrs.Racer277
08-27-2005, 04:47 PM
I walked out to my metal rack and found a piece of 1.5" aluminum bar stock four foot long. I grab my production manager and the S&R guy and go to the offending radio. I pulled the radio from its place and SMASHED the living sh*t out of it. I hit it so hard my hands were buzzing from the blow 20 minutes later. I am not sure, but I think I made a lasting impression. I am just not sure what that immpression is. ;)[/QUOTE]
OMG!!! Remind me never to piss you off. :D

mbrown2
08-27-2005, 04:56 PM
So as a manager you are supposed to create an example by leading with self control and by not losing your cool...
Well, I guess there is tomorrow to maybe start fresh, cause you today your stock with your workers went to about $0.
You can beat all the stereos you want, but I don't think that is the way to keep people productive and committed to the work at hand...
My .02 :coffeycup

Havasu Hangin'
08-27-2005, 05:09 PM
So as a manager you are supposed to create an example by leading with self control and by not losing your cool...
Well, I guess there is tomorrow to maybe start fresh, cause you today your stock with your workers went to about $0.
You can beat all the stereos you want, but I don't think that is the way to keep people productive and committed to the work at hand...
I just spent a few days at a Servant Leadership seminar given by James Hunter. Basically, it teaches that there are two ways to lead- power and authority.
A power leader is one who rules by force (or title). Examples are Hitler, etc.
An authority leader is one who rules by serving. A good example would be your mom. You do what she says because recognize her authority based on how much she has served you (unless your mom was Napoleon).
All the great leaders in history were servants to thier employees. Most consultants agree that great leadership is defined by character- this is not a new concept. What most folks don't grasp is that all employees are volunteers. That's the reason power leaders do not keep good employees- they volunteer somewhere else.
"Good to Great" by Jim Collins is good reading, too.

SnakeWrench
08-27-2005, 05:09 PM
ROFLMFAO!!!!!!!! OMG,, THAT'S FUNNY AS HELL!!!! STOP IT MAN, ,YOUR KILLING ME!!!!LMAO

Havasu Hangin'
08-27-2005, 05:12 PM
Everyone down at the Quik-E-Mart will appreciate your new style. :D
I need to get a couple promotions before they let me work the Slurpee machine, though. :D

Bense468
:D

Rexone
Alternative to beating radio with aluminum bar: Walk up calmly with a pair of wire cutters, unplug subject radio, calmly cut cord off at radio and proceed to cut into 2" pieces and leave it laying on bench. Point made.
Alternative 2: Calmly walk up and unplug radio, carry over to band saw and slice it in half, return it to bench, cut cord off to protect the idiots from plugging in half a radio. Point made.
Not that I'd do either of those. I'd have actually used 2.5" bar stock. Doesn't take quite as much swing to smash subject electronic device and hands only tingle approx 5 minutes. Less swing can be interpreted as less hostile too. :)

moneypit
08-27-2005, 05:18 PM
LIke the words from the great composer "Ice Cube".....
"Today was a good day" :D :D :D

SnakeWrench
08-27-2005, 05:19 PM
My uncle had this thing about shooting tv's. Hmmmm :idea:

Redneck
08-27-2005, 05:22 PM
way to put it down

mbrown2
08-27-2005, 05:28 PM
"Good to Great" by Jim Collins is good reading, too.
Good book..

mbrown2
08-27-2005, 05:43 PM
ROFLMFAO!!!!!!!! OMG,, THAT'S FUNNY AS HELL!!!! STOP IT MAN, ,YOUR KILLING ME!!!!LMAO
Glad you like the show...make sure you tip your waitresses... ;) :D ;)

Havasu Hangin'
08-27-2005, 05:44 PM
Good book..
Since I didn't inherit my dad's company, I actually had to learn how to read.
You too?

2Driver
08-27-2005, 05:46 PM
High end protection and monitoring for pipeline equipment I think you are in? I would guess you have some high-end customers, so why a demo in your shipping dept set by a shipping clerk????
Don’t those demo's get done in a controlled environment that are set up to impress and win the cutomer for that very reason :cool:

mbrown2
08-27-2005, 05:47 PM
You too?
Yeah...I actually went to work for the family bus right out of High School...worked for 3 months.....did not like breaking my back having to work my way up and learn the ropes and talking shop every night with my dad (ie: never leave the office).....so I got the Fock out...

2Driver
08-27-2005, 06:14 PM
."Not yet. I promote the team concept here. I will gather all the information and we as a comittee will decide the best option. I like Utah, but most areas have an unemployement rates that are too low. We need to draw from the 6% to 7% area. Nevada is business friendly but, I hate the evils of gambling. Texas and Tennesee are WAY too f'ing humid. Arizona is becoming a mini cali. Lastly, Oregon. IT RAINS ALL THE TIME!! "
:D :D :D

phebus
08-27-2005, 06:22 PM
Note to self- Do not park my boat next to OGS at OP6, or at any time for that matter. :hammer2:

Man-de-lone
08-27-2005, 06:36 PM
OG, I think you have done alright. If you are normally patient and polite with the employees, and they see an occasional outburst its probably not a bad thing.
I do the same around our shop. 99.99% I am calm, understanding and forgiving. I try to educate and instruct, demonstrate and persuade by intelligent means. But occasionally you need to let them know you have some of that nastiness in you. They need to see that you do get upset.
Doofus workers are like little kids. They will push to see where the limits are. Today they found your limit. You made a lasting impression on them and I bet you won't have a radio issue for quite a while to come.
I would suggest you make a written rule and post it that any radio play needs to be at low volume and tuned to a station you have approved.
Man---->fellow Arcadia grad<----delon :)

76ANTHONY
08-27-2005, 07:08 PM
ok, post a picture of djunkies neighbor and tell them he dances to rap naked. problem solved :devil: :cry: :notam:

OGShocker
08-27-2005, 09:59 PM
OG, I think you have done alright. If you are normally patient and polite with the employees, and they see an occasional outburst its probably not a bad thing.
I do the same around our shop. 99.99% I am calm, understanding and forgiving. I try to educate and instruct, demonstrate and persuade by intelligent means. But occasionally you need to let them know you have some of that nastiness in you. They need to see that you do get upset.
Doofus workers are like little kids. They will push to see where the limits are. Today they found your limit. You made a lasting impression on them and I bet you won't have a radio issue for quite a while to come.
I would suggest you make a written rule and post it that any radio play needs to be at low volume and tuned to a station you have approved.
Man---->fellow Arcadia grad<----delon :)
I am a calm team builder most of the time. Our employees are some of the finest people I know. 99% are hard working and dedicated to our goals. I bought this company from my father (God rest his soul) 5.5 years ago. I have been an employee of the company for 28 years. In all this time, this is the first time I snapped.
MBrown. Since you took it upon yourself to assume you knew the first thing about me or my style of management let me tell you, what you do not know could fill a book. My.02
HH, Since 1995 I have run the day to day operations of small privately held company. I am proud that a man of my fathers character and keen business sense would entrust the thing he loved the most to me, this says more about me than you could ever know. Not that I give .02 about your opinion, I do care what my friends here think of my dad. I was given nothing in this world other than a chance and great coaching. Those who knew my dad will be the first to tell you, he was a hard nosed sonofabitch who cared more about the survival of his company than he did about anything else. To say he would give his "baby" away to anyone is to spat on his memory. That sir you may not do.
As for the book of the month club try Execution
http://images.amazon.com/images/P/0739302752.01._AA240_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

SummitKarl
08-27-2005, 10:33 PM
OG this seemed to fit
<embed src="http://sounds.wavcentral.com/movies/austin/evil_angry.mp3" autostart="true" loop="false" width="0" height="0"></embed>

Havasu Hangin'
08-28-2005, 05:23 AM
HH...Not that I give .02 about your opinion, I do care what my friends here think of my dad.
Hey...I never mentioned your dad. :confused: However, there are a few good books on anger management out there, as well.
It's your company...you can run it however you want. If you want to go around smashing things, by all means, go ahead. Since you don't want my .02, don't read this:
If you warned the guy once, fire him. I would think that calmly firing someone (that you don't want working there, anyway since he doesn't listen) would send a better message to the rest of your employees.
If firing him isn't enough, you could just go smash his car, so he has to walk home.

Man-de-lone
08-28-2005, 06:21 AM
HH you are assuming that the workers have the same sensibilities and knowledge as you. I bet they don't. :rolleyes:

SummitKarl
08-28-2005, 06:56 AM
Hey...I never mentioned your dad. :confused: However, there are a few good books on anger management out there, as well.
It's your company...you can run it however you want. If you want to go around smashing things, by all means, go ahead. Since you don't want my .02, don't read this:
If you warned the guy once, fire him. I would think that calmly firing someone (that you don't want working there, anyway since he doesn't listen) would send a better message to the rest of your employees.
If firing him isn't enough, you could just go smash his car, so he has to walk home.
by my own experiance here (MAJOR SHORT FUSE)...........more Havasu time is required.......it cured me of grey hair and serious "assholeisum", not to menton just flat out saved my life.......destressed me........
so you beat up a radio and vented a few choice words here "NO BIG DEAL"
no one was hurt......and the thing that stands out to me here is that you did warn your S&R person (several times!!!!)...most likely you will get a better NEW employee out of the deal. besides I would be upset too, if I was let down in front of one of my old friends/customers
Deligate, Deligate, Deligate..... I am sure you have a HR person of sorts.....deligate and take the load off yourself, you will find most people will do the job asked of them. I think the way you feel about continueing to care for your Fathers dream is VERY COOL!! (being I now have lost both my parents) I can understand somewhat.....don't let that feeling/pride consume you!!!...and SERIOUSLY!!! don't over anyalize this one out burst...........
now load up, head out, and get on the water :D

Havasu Hangin'
08-28-2005, 07:07 AM
HH you are assuming that the workers have the same sensibilities and knowledge as you. I bet they don't. :rolleyes:
The problem that I see all the time is when something like this happens, then the remaining employees either:
a). Leave- because there are other places to work where you don't have to feel phisically threatened.
or...
b). Stay- because they they have nowhere else to go (or don't care).
Either way, it's not good. Do you really want your company (or department) to employ people who are mediocre at best? I guy I know once joked, "if you want to make yourself look good, surround yourself by idiots."
"Doofus workers" are plentiful. I think everyone knows that motivated, loyal, hard-working employees are tough to find. What separates good companies from great ones is the ability to find, keep, nurture, and encourage great employees. Believe me, it's not always about compensation, either.
Remember, I'm just an idiot with a keyboard. I really know nothing insightful about leadership, so please just ignore these posts. :D

H20skier
08-28-2005, 07:09 AM
Alternative to beating radio with aluminum bar: Walk up calmly with a pair of wire cutters, unplug subject radio, calmly cut cord off at radio and proceed to cut into 2" pieces and leave it laying on bench. Point made.
Alternative 2: Calmly walk up and unplug radio, carry over to band saw and slice it in half, return it to bench, cut cord off to protect the idiots from plugging in half a radio. Point made.
Not that I'd do either of those. I'd have actually used 2.5" bar stock. Doesn't take quite as much swing to smash subject electronic device and hands only tingle approx 5 minutes. Less swing can be interpreted as less hostile too. :)
Too funny...

OGShocker
08-28-2005, 09:51 AM
You too?
Sorry if I miss read this. It is the second (not so veiled) reference. The first was HERE (http://www2.***boat.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1316007&postcount=6) when I was trying to sell our coach.
Next, my crew is on the bus and in the right seats. For a company of our size to be ISO 9001 : 2000 certified.... we have to be.

Havasu47
08-28-2005, 10:11 AM
Sorry if I miss read this. It is the second (not so veiled) reference. The first was HERE (http://www2.***boat.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1316007&postcount=6) when I was trying to sell our coach.
Next, my crew is on the bus and in the right seats. For a company of our size to be ISO 9001 : 2000 certified.... we have to be.
Interesting how people can judge someone they know nothing about. This post was for entertainment purposes as are most posts. I do know OG and I also know the circumstances that surround this S & R guy. I got a laugh when read the first post then it turns to sh!t as usual. "Politically correct" management works in a perfect world only. :coffeycup :coffeycup

Havasu Hangin'
08-28-2005, 10:35 AM
For some reason, you keep bringing up your Dad. If someone inherits a leadership position, it doesn't necessarily make them qualified, is my point. One quality that makes a good leader is a good listener. To do that, sometimes it is tough to check your ego at the door, and accept criticism.
I myself have many flaws, including a lack of patience. I have to work very hard to make myself into something that goes against everything I have built up over the years.
There are many others, but I don't feel like getting writer's cramp. It's also funny how much of these leadership principles apply to our family lives, too.
Next, my crew is on the bus and in the right seats.
Good for you. Let's hope that they stay that way.
"Politically correct" management works in a perfect world only. :coffeycup :coffeycup
The other thing that is interesting is how management often deflects blame to "bad employees". Like OGShocker mentioned, it's your bus, and you are responsible for everyone on it. You allow them on, so take some responsibility for them. If they are bothering the other passengers...get them fixed, or get them off.
Hey...this shit is entertaining to me.
PS- Once again, please disregard my .02 that I posted above. I am just an internet idiot who "judges someone they know nothing about."

Havasu47
08-28-2005, 11:09 AM
For some reason, you keep bringing up your Dad. If someone inherits a leadership position, it doesn't necessarily make them qualified, is my point.
Hey...this shit is entertaining to me.
Inherited????
[QUOTE=PS- Once again, please disregard my .02 that I posted above. I am just an internet idiot who "judges someone they know nothing about."[/QUOTE]
Well spoken :D

OGShocker
08-28-2005, 12:05 PM
Interesting how people can judge someone they know nothing about. This post was for entertainment purposes as are most posts. I do know OG and I also know the circumstances that surround this S & R guy. I got a laugh when read the first post then it turns to sh!t as usual. "Politically correct" management works in a perfect world only. :coffeycup :coffeycup
I know you? :notam: STOCKER!!!!

INSman
08-28-2005, 12:10 PM
I know you? :notam: STOCKER!!!!
Did you mean " Stalker " ??

OGShocker
08-28-2005, 12:14 PM
Did you mean " Stalker " ??
He is an engine builder. I spelled so he would understand... :D

INSman
08-28-2005, 12:15 PM
He is an engine builder. I spelled to he would understand... :D
Ahh, I see... You in town next weekend ??

Havasu Hangin'
08-28-2005, 12:59 PM
Inherited????
More deflecting. :D

OGShocker
08-28-2005, 02:08 PM
Ahh, I see... You in town next weekend ??
We'll be in Fontana for NASCAR. Our next trip will be on the 9th 10th and 11th. Bobby is going to be at our house next week. Stop by for some ruffies, he'll have plenty there. :220v:

Boozer
08-28-2005, 03:19 PM
I hope you took that bar home. It would probably rid you of pesky people using your driveway to turn around their over sized vehicles. Seeing as how you don't whistle loud enough to get their attention maybe the banging of their fender will?? :confused: :eek:

coolchange
08-28-2005, 03:46 PM
Good job. Every once in a while you gotta shake it up. Had a laborer that would come on the job go in the house change the channel to that umpah crap and go outside. Someone would turn it down and change it and he'd do it again. Finally I asked whos radio it was and no one knew, so I went over and shot it up with the nail gun. He came back in and the place ws quite with everyone watchin and me standin there with the finish gun in my hands. He had this look like he was gonna do something but he wasn't quit sure of my mind set at that moment. Never had another problem with the radios.

Tom Brown
08-28-2005, 03:51 PM
Good job. Every once in a while you gotta shake it up. Had a laborer that would come on the job go in the house change the channel to that umpah crap and go outside. Someone would turn it down and change it and he'd do it again. Finally I asked whos radio it was and no one knew, so I went over and shot it up with the nail gun. He came back in and the place ws quite with everyone watchin and me standin there with the finish gun in my hands. He had this look like he was gonna do something but he wasn't quit sure of my mind set at that moment. Never had another problem with the radios.
You should have set the station and volume you wanted and then nailed the tuning and volume knobs in place. :D

Man-de-lone
08-28-2005, 03:58 PM
The problem that I see all the time is when something like this happens, then the remaining employees either:
a). Leave- because there are other places to work where you don't have to feel phisically threatened.
or...
b). Stay- because they they have nowhere else to go (or don't care).
Either way, it's not good. Do you really want your company (or department) to employ people who are mediocre at best? I guy I know once joked, "if you want to make yourself look good, surround yourself by idiots."
"Doofus workers" are plentiful. I think everyone knows that motivated, loyal, hard-working employees are tough to find. What separates good companies from great ones is the ability to find, keep, nurture, and encourage great employees. Believe me, it's not always about compensation, either.
Remember, I'm just an idiot with a keyboard. I really know nothing insightful about leadership, so please just ignore these posts. :D
I think you ought to add C). on your list. C). Shape up and pay attention cuz the boss really IS paying attention.
I run my own business with a dozen or so workers. They are in nearly constant contact with our customers. There is no way to know how they are going to act in every situation. Sometimes the get it right, sometimes wrong. As one in charge of hiring, you can only use your judgement and watch to see what happens. If they do well, you promote and give more responsibililty, if not, well, they may need to look for other employment opportunities. In the mean time you ask, explain, discuss, suggest, require, cajole, demonstrate and whatever else it may take to get them to understand. If it takes an occasional outburst......I don't see the harm. OG showed he was upset. I am sure the guy would rather keep his job and not have the pleasure of the boss' radio, instead of getting fired.
Having a hothead boss all the time would be a good reason to quit. But having one who shows emotion once in a while doesn't mean he's out of control.....
Mediocre is what you get sometimes......I have several guys who have been with me for over 10 years.....in construction......not an easy feat. I hire and fire as needed. I don't get too upset very often, but they know it happens. You'd be amazed how effective throwing an occasional tool or breaking something can be. :D

Tom Brown
08-28-2005, 04:05 PM
...having one who shows emotion once in a while doesn't mean he's out of control.....
Beating the fu(k out of a radio so violently that your hands are buzzing for 20 minutes is showing emotion? :D
You'd be a great gang banger defense witness. :cool:
The boys were just showing a little emotion to that little old lady, judge.
Personally, I think there is a bit of coolness to the whole scene, as described, but if someone did that to get employees attention at my shop, I'm confident they'd be fired or taken to court. Our organization fired a guy at the VP level for a comment that seemed threatening.

Man-de-lone
08-28-2005, 04:09 PM
I bet they only buzzed for 10 minutes :D
You guys need to get out of your cubicles more often. ;) In the real world we can do fun stuff without fear of the thought police.....
In my business we get to take out our aggressions on people's kitchen cabinets....it is very theraputic to beat a tile countertop into submission. :D

HighRoller
08-28-2005, 04:40 PM
I can just imagine OG standing there with his pipe as the pieces of the radio are still falling. Chest heaving, eyes wild with insanity like Jack Nicholson...turns to his employees and says:
"I hope I wasn't unclear on my policies for music in the workplace....Carry on, and good job."

Rexone
08-28-2005, 04:54 PM
You should have set the station and volume you wanted and then nailed the tuning and volume knobs in place. :D
A few 16's in the wall next to the radio out of my Senco at 30 feet in rapid fire mode normally calms things right down around here. I even look towards the air hose now and the radio is playin the preferred Rex Marine tunes.

Tom Brown
08-28-2005, 05:04 PM
...the preferred Rex Marine tunes.
Turtles medleys?

Rexone
08-28-2005, 05:11 PM
Turtles medleys?
Yes and Time has come today by the Chambers Bros. By the end of an 8 hour shift of these though things are getting a little tense in the warehouse. That's when I break out my more modern Beatles and Foreigner CD's to lighten the mood.

HighRoller
08-28-2005, 05:27 PM
Hopefully OG won't take my new sig too seriously. I'd hate to see what his pipe would do to my new computer :jawdrop:

OGShocker
08-28-2005, 09:12 PM
Hopefully OG won't take my new sig too seriously. I'd hate to see what his pipe would do to my new computer :jawdrop:
If you've read "Good to Great", you'll love "Bad to Broken" by OGShocker. A top level manager shares his secrets on "breaking through" to stubborn employees and how to "Make an Impact" as a leader
That right there is funny.... See you tomorrow. :crossx:

My Man's Sportin' Wood
08-28-2005, 09:37 PM
That is funny High Roller.
Note to self: Do not piss Old Geezer Shocker off. :D
Saw a quote from Will Rogers today that fits this scenario. Something along the lines of "It doesn't matter how much you pay your employees, it's how much they cost you."

BoatFloating
08-29-2005, 08:50 AM
OG, I think you are missing the point and letting emontion cloud your vision. I too thought it was a funny story but with that said what you did could cost you your company. It could of also lead to your arrest. 1. When you picked up the pipe and beat up the radio said employee could consider that assault and could of called the cops. 2. Every employee in Calif is entitled to a workplace free hostile work enviorment and I think you violated that. Someone said politcally correct manager. This has nothing to do with a hostile work enviorment. CA labor law is really employee friendly and the sooner you realize that the better off you'll be. This incident might not bite you in the ass now but in the future I'd be more careful.....

INSman
08-29-2005, 09:09 AM
We'll be in Fontana for NASCAR. Our next trip will be on the 9th 10th and 11th. Bobby is going to be at our house next week. Stop by for some ruffies, he'll have plenty there. :220v:
I am on to you guys now, have fun at the races !!!

mbrown2
08-29-2005, 07:35 PM
MBrown. Since you took it upon yourself to assume you knew the first thing about me or my style of management let me tell you, what you do not know could fill a book. My.02
OG, I did not assume anything...and I did not try and point out your style of management...I only pointed out what impact I think that particular behavior may have on your staff.
Great to hear about your management book; hopefully it is void of the radio bashing stuff. :smile: :idea:

purrfecttremor
09-28-2005, 07:10 PM
I think it has something to do with You'r zip code!!!!

Debbolas
09-28-2005, 07:11 PM
OG?
Will you hire me?
;)

76ANTHONY
09-28-2005, 07:12 PM
I NEVER GET TIRED OF READING THIS THREAD :D :D

Debbolas
09-28-2005, 07:15 PM
seriously, I have been thinking about getting another job............
..........do ya think ***boat is hiring? :D (they would probably make me spell correctly.... :notam: but there is always "Spell Check" :D )

gottaminute?
09-28-2005, 07:46 PM
My guys in my shop are all Mexican. They always have that shit mariachi(sp) music playing. Nothing pisses me off more than if I have a customer come over and I walk them out in the shop and they have that shit blasting. I usually give one of the guys that look and they go turn it off.
Smashing the radio though, sounds like a lot more fun! :D
i solved that with one sentence..... mexican station = paycheck in pesos..... done deal

BiggusJimbus
09-28-2005, 08:09 PM
..........do ya think ***boat is hiring? :D (they would probably make me spell correctly.... :notam: but there is always "Spell Check" :D )
Clearly, you have not read hot boat.
Spell checking and grammar seem to fall far down the list of priorities.

Debbolas
09-28-2005, 08:10 PM
Why do they have a magazine? lol :rollside:
well.................I still need a job ;)