PDA

View Full Version : truck starter help.....please

OC-PARTYCAT
12-06-2002, 12:06 PM
got in my truck last night and it wouldnt start..I checked the strater..it was ok
checked the tumbler...ok
Im thinking it is the relay?
where is the starter relay on my truck?
its a 93 GMC dually 4x4 454
I have a friggin wire going from my selenoid into the cab and im jumping it off my fuses right now
any help would be appreciated. thanks

Hotcrusader76
12-06-2002, 12:15 PM
Is it behind the glove box? :confused:
Chevy/GMC has installed them in the weirdest places. At least when Ford's crap out their relays are within drinkin distance, I mean hands distance.
I am looking through an ole'manual right now... idea2

OC-PARTYCAT
12-06-2002, 12:22 PM
i tore out the glove box last night. there where (i think) 4 relays back there. When I turned the key to start, three of them "click" but. when I put a test light on em... they turn off, instead of on??? I know one of them is for the blower. is this some kind of postitive ground system? do you know whick relay is the starter? thanks

Hotcrusader76
12-06-2002, 12:30 PM
If they are all the same type, just pop them out and swap them around. Number them so you know which ones go where when your done. But make sure they are the same type before you start swapping. I can not find the relay location...

Oldsquirt
12-06-2002, 12:34 PM
Are you sure that your truck uses a starter relay? My first suspicion would be the neutral/safety switch at base of steering column. Check to see that the purple wire is hot while cranking....

OC-PARTYCAT
12-06-2002, 12:37 PM
Thanks for your input. Ill probably go by pep boys and pick one up. Ill plug it into each one and see which works.

OC-PARTYCAT
12-06-2002, 12:39 PM
not sure if its the safety switch or not. When it is in park and I turn the key to start it turns everything off (blower, etc..) does this still happen when the switch is out?

Oldsquirt
12-06-2002, 12:43 PM
That would be a function of the igniton switch. In the "crank" mode only the IGN and Start circuits should be active.
Note: I've been in a Toyota dealership so long that some of my earlier knowledge is fading.....
[ December 06, 2002, 12:43 PM: Message edited by: OLDSQUIRT ]

Oldsquirt
12-06-2002, 12:45 PM
This could also be a bad ignition switch, which should also be mounted near the base of the steering column. Just check all those purple wires.

OC-PARTYCAT
12-06-2002, 12:50 PM
Ill check the purple wires and switch the relays around behind the glove box. I think that would pretty much cover everything between the key and starter right?? whoever is right will receive a case oh beer on me (if i dont drink it while performing the tests)....thanks again

Hotcrusader76
12-06-2002, 01:18 PM
I think hes right.....I don't know of a relay, maybe that's why its not in the manual...hmmm idea2

Blown 472
12-06-2002, 02:08 PM
I have the same problem with my truck, tried jumping across the posts at the starter and nothing.

MikeF
12-06-2002, 03:55 PM
OC, What happens when you try to start it in neutral?

460 jus getn it
12-06-2002, 10:02 PM
partycat, sounds to me that your ignition switch on the coloum is bad. do your ligths turn on your dash turn off when you try to start, are you getting power to the starter besides from the positive cable :confused: :confused:

OC-PARTYCAT
12-09-2002, 09:02 AM
Still nothin.. I guess Im going to bend over and have someone fix it?
Doesnt start in nuetral...
Power to starter from batt only... nothing else
When I turn the key to crank.. the dash lights and fan turn off.

1stepcloser
12-09-2002, 09:36 AM
More than likely it's an ignition switch that has failed, or a problem with the connection in that area. As Old Squirt has said.

MikeF
12-09-2002, 10:03 AM
OC, Do you have a repair manual for your year truck w/ electrical diagram for all systems?

Oldsquirt
12-09-2002, 06:56 PM
OC-PARTYCAT:
Still nothin.. I guess Im going to bend over and have someone fix it?
Doesnt start in nuetral...
Power to starter from batt only... nothing else
When I turn the key to crank.. the dash lights and fan turn off.It is normal for the warning lights and fan to be off while cranking(I just verified that on my 2001 GMC) to eliminate unwanted draw on the battery.
Did you find the neutral /safety switch and ignition switch on the column? If so, were you able to test them using test light? The circuit is pretty simple but the components are in awkward places.
I'd be more than happy to "talk" you through this. E-mail me for my phone# if interested.
Craig

Kindsvater Flat
12-09-2002, 07:48 PM
Is this an automatic or manual trans?
I have all the tech manuals sitting in front of me and I need a little more info. If you want I can post a wiring diagram of the circuit. I might even post both pictures.

shockwaveharry
12-09-2002, 08:21 PM
My gut feeling (from this side of the computer screen anyway)is that it's a bad starter. How did you check the starter? If you have a helper, have them hold the ignition in the "start" position while you crawl under the truck with your test light. Probe the small terminal on the solenoid (or if there's 2 terminals, the one that is closest to the block marked with an "S") and see if you have power. If so, it's probably the starter. Try rapping on it with a hammer while the key is in the start position. 90% of the time it'll crank.
If you found no power at the solinoid "S" terminal, look at the neutral switch, then the ignition switch. Don't forget to check your battery terminals for corrosion. That'll cause the same problem too. A fuseable link could be bad. I believe they're located on the firewall behind a plastic cover where the timing connector is.
It's probably the starter though.

Kindsvater Flat
12-09-2002, 08:34 PM
here is the wiring diagram for both the manual and automatic trans of your vehicle.
Well I tried posting the pics here but it didn't work. They are in the gearhead section under other equipment. diagram (http://free.***boat.net/cgi-bin/imageFolio.cgi?action=view&link=Gearhead_Garage/Other_Equipment&image=wireB.JPG&img=&tt=) diagram 2 (http://free.***boat.net/cgi-bin/imageFolio.cgi?action=view&link=Gearhead_Garage/Other_Equipment&image=wireA.JPG&img=&tt=)
[ December 09, 2002, 08:41 PM: Message edited by: Kindsvater Flat ]

Blown 472
12-10-2002, 12:13 PM
I think it is my starter, we tried putting a starter button from the pos cable to the s post and no cranky, so I will be dropping it out now that the weather is up to 40.

shockwaveharry
12-10-2002, 03:40 PM
Blown 472
[QB]I think it is my starter...[QB]One down, one to go... smilespi

Kindsvater Flat
12-10-2002, 03:49 PM
I posted the wiring diagram so it should be real easy from there.
Any other info you need I can more than likely produce. I have 40gigs of foreign and domestic in the laptop. :D

SchellSchock
12-12-2002, 03:50 PM
Solenod operated starter. No relay. If starter button does not cause the starter to crank, the solenoid at the starter is bad, (Assuming you have the button hooked up to the large battery pole and the CORRECT small terminal. If in doubt try the other small one). If the button does cause the starter to crank it is most likely the FUSIBLE link. This is on the red wire that feeds the small terminal and usually gets fried in the area close to the block or the exhaust. Hope this helps.

MikeF
12-21-2002, 08:29 AM
OC, Did you find the problem? Kinda curious of the outcome.

shockwaveharry
12-30-2002, 05:48 PM
I'll bet it was the starter... wink

Hotcrusader76
12-30-2002, 05:49 PM
Yeah whatever happen? Did he part it out on Ebay? :D
Ya know it's always the small lil-cheap part that kicks all of our asses on here...

OC-PARTYCAT
12-31-2002, 08:59 AM
my lazy ass still hasnt fixed it... Ive been tinkering around with it when I get time. Ive checked everything that was suggested but its still not working. I wired the starter up to my fan switch to hide the wires but still havent fixed the problem. I guess when I have some time this weekend Ill climb uder the hood with the test light and follow the starter wire back till I find something. Or maybe when Im out at the lake this weekend... I might accidently leave it in neutral on the launch ramp...
[ December 31, 2002, 09:01 AM: Message edited by: OC-PARTYCAT ]

Blown 472
12-31-2002, 09:12 AM
That is a great idea, oh shit tha river is frozen.