PDA

View Full Version : I have Water in my gas

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
07-20-2003, 06:34 PM
I opened up my pepcock on the water seperator and a little water cam out(about 5 ounces). I checked my carbs and I seen water in the bowls. I then pulled the waterseperator off and it was half full of water and half full of av gas. I pulled the fuel filter(looks like the water seperator but its just a fule filter) off and it was half full of water and no fuel. Why is this happening? How do I fix this? I have brand new gascaps. Where can the water come from?

Sangster
07-20-2003, 07:15 PM
Where are you buying your gas at .....

GofastRacer
07-20-2003, 07:18 PM
Do you have vented caps or do you have vents out of the side of the boat??. If you vent out the side of the boat, that's where the water in the tank is coming from!... :confused:

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
07-20-2003, 11:37 PM
Sangster:
Where are you buying your gas at ..... Falcon field airport!

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
07-20-2003, 11:38 PM
GofastRacer:
Do you have vented caps or do you have vents out of the side of the boat??. If you vent out the side of the boat, that's where the water in the tank is coming from!... :confused: No vents on the outside of the boat. The caps are the regular ones like what most jets have. You push them down the latch it. I dont know if the are vented caps.

Rexone
07-21-2003, 02:15 AM
Water in the gas sources:
Through the vent in the cap (you'd have to take a shitload of water over the deck several times for this to take on as much water as you indicate you found). Typical vent holes are small.
From the gas station (not likely at an airport)(common at an on water marina though)
Accumulated condensation (hot days, lots of humidity, around the water). yes it happens.
Or the accumulation of any of these over time by not checking your filters often.
did I miss any?
Oh, your pissed off neighbor pouring water in your gas tank (this one's not good).
:)

GofastRacer
07-21-2003, 04:46 AM
396_WAYS_TO_SPIT:
GofastRacer:
Do you have vented caps or do you have vents out of the side of the boat??. If you vent out the side of the boat, that's where the water in the tank is coming from!... :confused: No vents on the outside of the boat. The caps are the regular ones like what most jets have. You push them down the latch it. I dont know if the are vented caps.
396 Those are vented caps, but if they are old the rubber gaskets may be brittle and cracked from the heat and not sealing anymore, may want to check those?. :confused: