View Full Version : Oil Filter blowing oil

Wet Dream
05-18-2003, 02:20 PM
It appears that I'm blowing oil from the area of the filter. There is a little oil on the upper lip of the filter, but there is also oil on my motor mounts and on the stringers. It even reached the gunnels. The oil pressure seems fine, 55psi cold, 40 hot. Anyone want to take a stab at it?

Thunderbutt
05-18-2003, 03:03 PM
Wet Dream:
It appears that I'm blowing oil from the area of the filter. There is a little oil on the upper lip of the filter, but there is also oil on my motor mounts and on the stringers. It even reached the gunnels. The oil pressure seems fine, 55psi cold, 40 hot. Anyone want to take a stab at it? The fly wheel will put oil in places you have never seen. When you put the filter on did you seal the top with oil? Is the filter cracked?

TahitiSteve
05-18-2003, 04:08 PM
Based on the amount of oil I got when I did it a week or so ago this probably isn't your problem, or your post would have read "HOLY SHIT oil flying EVERYWHERE HELP!!!!" But is there a chance the gasket from your last filter stuck to the block, and not the filter when you removed it and you now have 2 gaskets there?

Wet Dream
05-18-2003, 04:17 PM
Tahiti, thats one thing I always check for. 2 seals aren't twice as good :D It didn't do it last year, and this is the same filter, so I'm wondering if there might be a crack in the seal.

wideopen545
05-18-2003, 06:11 PM
bill do you have the lines plumbed the right way just a thought
hey we got some more door prizes give me a call this week at home not the cell after 8.00 pm tim

Wet Dream
05-18-2003, 06:25 PM
No, the water is plumbed, not the oil yet. I'm thinking it might be a cracked seal on the filter. I didn't notice it until it was back on the trailer, but buying a new oil filter is useless since it won't be used with the new coller system. It takes a different filter.

OMEGA_BUBBLE_JET
05-19-2003, 04:25 AM
oil filters are cheap insurance. I suggest buying a new one and if it solves the problem great if not you are only out a few bucks. Keep it simple.
Omega

carreraboat
05-19-2003, 05:39 AM
should you cool the oil then filter it or filter it then cool it or does it mater

Thunderbutt
05-19-2003, 04:29 PM
carreraboat:
should you cool the oil then filter it or filter it then cool it or does it mater I don't think it makes any differance. On my boat the water goes into the cooler first. I couldn' cool the oil after the filter, so I'm confused.

Wet Dream
05-19-2003, 05:14 PM
Mine is actually going to be cooled before filtering. Nothing like Cold Filtered Beer...I mean oil. Same principal right?
Cold filtered beer = happy people
Cold filtered oil = happy engine

Fired Up
05-19-2003, 10:25 PM
couple of things here:
1. what brand of oil filter are you using. get rid of the fram or pennzoil junk.
2. check your filter adapter. had one crack and break on me. leaked only after tightening the filter. remove it and inspect it.

Wet Dream
05-20-2003, 06:02 PM
Using a Wix, and the adapter isn't hook up yet.