PDA

View Full Version : Rebuilding my 1992 Mercruiser 454. What do you think of this?

Waveline24
06-01-2002, 10:30 PM
It is completely stock right now. I have it down to bare block right now.
The 100+ horse increase for $1100 seems to be a good deal.
What do you think?
http://www.westechperformance.com/pages/Marine_Kits/thunder1.html

DEEZ NUTTS
06-01-2002, 10:46 PM
If you have the motor down that far its mandatory that you do something to make more hp. Its in your brochure! 1100 bucks for that kit if it really comes with that Sea Demon sounds good to me. Try to get the specs of that cam and price your own kit. Should probably have new springs to match cam.

BOFH
06-02-2002, 08:19 AM
Should you do "something?" Hell yes! However, I saty away from "kits" where the specifics are not published... Who's cam? Who's chain? Also, have you heard the old saw "a chain is only as strong as it's weakest link?" Old saws stay around because they are true.
You need to design the engine you want and then match all of the components. Start with "where do you want power" which will pick your cam. This will also give you flow to pick other components. You budget will dictate how efficient you can make your engine. (Compression ratio, coatings...)
If you design and build a solid engine they can last 10 years making gobs of power. If you slap on a cheap ill-thought out kit it can last 10 days.
Just my 2 cents...

Waveline24
06-02-2002, 11:51 AM
Well,
I was hoping that this kit woudl be the answer for an upgrade. I don't know a LOT about HP motor building. Thats why the BOLT ON caught my eye. I have assembled motors and have no problem following spec. directions. I however don't know enough to figure technical issues like cam selection and compression ratios.
So do think THIS kit is a NO NO? I thought since it was tested and designed for my particular application, it would be the way to go.
Bummer.
I am on a budget and the $1100 sounded good.
Maybe I should just put it back together with stock specs?

DEEZ NUTTS
06-02-2002, 12:24 PM
BOFH is right on about knowing what you want. Your budget will determine what you can actually get. I am an example of this. I started with wanting a higher compression high reving motor, and ended up low compression with a blower. Added about 6000 to what I told my wife it would cost. She is pissed, credit card is still smokin' but I smile everytime I walk in the garage.

Waveline24
06-02-2002, 10:42 PM
If I can get the SPECS on this kit, do you think you guys could give me some more opinions?
Thanks

Havasu Hangin'
06-03-2002, 07:13 AM
Originally posted by Waveline24:
If I can get the SPECS on this kit, do you think you guys could give me some more opinions?
Hey Waveline24- if you know your way around a wrench and are looking for marine recipes, I would recommend this book (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/1557882975/ref=pd_sim_books/102-9015494-6943327) to help you with your decision.
Sometimes, they won't publish the specs on "kits", because you may be able to go out & buy it yourself (like from Summit (http://www.summitracing.com/)) and install it yourself for cheaper. Usually, the guys who don't ask about the specs can't put it in themselves...if you know what I mean...
http://www.planetsmilies.com/smilies/happy/happy25.gif

Waveline24
06-03-2002, 07:41 AM
Thanks,
I have that book already. GOOD BOOK.

BOFH
06-03-2002, 08:04 AM
After looking at the page again, I doubt you can find the specs! Lets start with what they DO say... Big power difference with dry headers. That means they flow a lot, and probably rev high. This can make for a tough boat to drive if you have an aggressive cam, and no low end!
So, lets back up a bit. What kind of boat do you have? What kind of driving do you do? What do you like, holeshot or top speed? How often can you work on it? How often will it be driven vs. setting up? Forget the engine, and the kits for a second. What kind of performance do you want?
Just to give you a clue where I am going, I helped a friend repower his wakeboard boat. He had a "custom" engine in it for power. When we rebuilt it it had 75 LESS hp. He loved it! The reasone was it now had torque where he needed it. It would jump on plane with a boarder, and had a higher top speed. There are a lot of knowledgeable people here, so if you say what characteristics you want, we can tell you how to best spend your money.

Waveline24
06-03-2002, 03:26 PM
Hi,
Well heres a pic of my boat. Its a 1992 24ft American Waveline. They were produced out of Oregon for a about 3 years as I have been told.
I don't really car about holeshot. But I do LOVE hittting TOP SPEED. Thats my FAVORITE thing about it. The motor as I was saying is stock and I have had the boat since 98. It had no problem getting up to 70 GPS before. I was just hoping for a few more miles an hour like up to 75.
I have 3 props 21, 23, 25 All Quicksilver
I use the 25 all the time. I hit the 5000 redline with the others.
Any suggestions if I can do any mods for about $1000?
Othewise I would just go stock again.
http://www.astrosafari.net/otherimages/waveseattle640.jpg
[This message has been edited by Waveline24 (edited June 03, 2002).]
[This message has been edited by Waveline24 (edited June 03, 2002).]

jordanpaulk
06-04-2002, 09:27 PM
I am a little late to chime in, but I would be careful on any "kit" for a big block for only $1100. Big blocks are notorious for going way over that. I had the heads done on my 454 in a jet boat, nothing fancy, just good solid parts and was at $1200 very fast. Bottom line, you get what you pay for, just make sure it's what you want, ie. horsepower where you can use it.
jordy

Waveline24
06-05-2002, 12:03 AM
Well,
After all the helpfull replies. I am now planning to just go stock for now. I don't feel comfortable yet with calculating cam/carb/intake combos. Hence, my interest in a KIT designed for my application.
My motor is bored 30 over. Should I at least do a cam?
Thanks guys

BOFH
06-05-2002, 08:36 AM
We can give you a "kit." :-) First, raise the compression to 10 to 1. This is about as high as you can go on pump gas, per an informal survey I did here a while back. $100 - gain %5 to %15 depending on your compression to begin with.
Next, any mods you do will break the EFI you have now, so a new intake and carb. (Low RPM manafold, not a high rise tunnel ram. Edelbrock Torquer II is nice) Talk to the guy who will be working on you boat! Pick the system he likes, as he will have to tune it! $750 to $1000 with a %5 to %10 gain.
Headers! Stainless Steel Marine have a 5 year warrentee. They make good power, and are trouble free! About $1300 just for these. About a %15 gain, and they sound nice... Out the transom, of course. :-)
High ratio rolller rockers. Cheap free power. Between $150 and $500, and a %5 to %10 gain.
Later if you want to change the cam, it is not a killer, but this should give you a %25 to %30 boost in power for about $2000 to $3000 in parts. Also, your boat will drive the same but you will ned to jump up a prop size or two. :-)
Yes, I know it was more than $1100, but in reality, so was the kit. You can also just do some of it... Budget bump is the compresion, and the rockers.