PDA

View Full Version : What kind of oil

sifocalpoint
08-28-2005, 01:55 PM
casale 10 deg what kind of oil is reccomended??

olbiezer
08-28-2005, 02:38 PM
i hear casale recomends redline syn oil for em.....lots of opinions out there though......

beaverfab
08-28-2005, 04:02 PM
Redline MTL good stuff. j.j.

Beer-30
08-28-2005, 05:02 PM
Torco Racing Trans Fluid (around 75W gear lube).
http://www.torcousa.com/assets/gfx/list/rtf_racing_trans_fluid_list.gif

V-DRIVE VIDEO
08-28-2005, 05:03 PM
Torco Racing Trans Fluid (around 75W gear lube).
Beer 30,
Do you have a v-drive?

dmontzsta
08-28-2005, 05:05 PM
Personally, I have always used Redline, also used Lucas before with no problems.

Beer-30
08-28-2005, 05:28 PM
I am sure all of the brands are just as good for this application. I personally saw Torco stand up to an overdrive unit that cooked all other brands we tried. After that, I had first hand experience that it worked and worked excellent. I have not heard of any Redline failures.

Beer-30
08-28-2005, 05:32 PM
Product Description:
RTF is specifically engineered to reduce fluid drag for increased power efficiency without compromising component durability. It is made from a combination of specially selected 100% synthetic Group IV/V base oils proving superior shear resistance and extreme temperature stability. RTF is specially formulated to exceed the load-carrying and extreme pressure wear protection properties of higher viscosity GL-5 or GL-6 gear oils. RTF provides anti-score protection for high speed, high load and high torque shock-loading conditions, while allowing smooth operation of synchronizers. Features & Benefits:
Group IV/V 100% Synthetic Formula
Maximizes power throughput
Reduces gear box temperatures
Superior level of shock load, EP and wear protection Typical Uses:
Recommended for manual transmissions, transaxles and marine outdrive units where an SAE 75W90, 80W90 or 90 is specified. Also replaces SAE motor oil 10W30, 30, 10W40 or 40 where specified for transmissions. Commonly used in circle track (Winston Cup, Busch, modified, stock), road racing, formula, open wheel (Champ Cars, IRL Cars), off road, drag racing, sports compact street and domestic performance street applications. Highly recommended for achieving maximum power efficiency. Excellent for dry sump and fluid drive gear cases. Note: RTF is specifically recommended for Richmond Gear Racing Transmissions. Meets Or Exceeds:
API GL-6

dmontzsta
08-28-2005, 06:29 PM
Beer-30 I think what VDV is getting at is...Have you ever had experience with Torco in a V-Drive? Alot of people on this board will run with what they hear. If this guy goes out and gets Torco and it jacks his shit up, wont you feel a little guilty? not to say Torco is garbage, but if there is no experience with it in a V-Drive please dont give the guy mis-guided or proven info. :)

DUECE'SDAD
08-28-2005, 06:42 PM
Damn I lost here. Did some one ask for ideas/opinions or not ? ? ? ? The torco shet sounds good to me, I might try it, my v drive seems to heat up alittle more than one i like, I've tried 90wt and 75w140 syn its a gear box any gear oil WILL work, it's just what does it the best (least heat, least foaming, least breakdown). I guess next time i ask for sinfo i will ask from only those that are "athourity" on said subject. All this and $1 will get you a soda though, take mine for all its worth, unless it stinks ! ! ! ! ! !

dmontzsta
08-28-2005, 06:46 PM
Damn I lost here. Did some one ask for ideas/opinions or not ? ? ? ? The torco shet sounds good to me, I might try it, my v drive seems to heat up alittle more than one i like, I've tried 90wt and 75w140 syn its a gear box any gear oil WILL work, it's just what does it the best (least heat, least foaming, least breakdown). I guess next time i ask for sinfo i will ask from only those that are "athourity" on said subject. All this and $1 will get you a soda though, take mine for all its worth, unless it stinks ! ! ! ! ! !
Deuce he did ask "WHAT KIND OF OIL IS RECCOMENDED". I am sure this guy wants to put something in that is "reccomended" for a V-DRIVE and not be a guinea pig for some oil not many have tried. Who knows, you might try it and it might work well, then everyone will know it works and start using it. For now he should use what the manufacturer "reccomends".
Happy Boating. :)

sifocalpoint
08-28-2005, 07:21 PM
i appreciate the responses, i may give the lucas a try being that the local Napa carries it, Is there non foaming gear oils available?? What weight is sufficient?

dmontzsta
08-28-2005, 07:26 PM
I usually buy all my gear and trans. fluid through this place.
www.myoilshop.com
What a coincidence they are in Pittsburgh also, just noticed that, they could be near you. Great prices and service also.

the real k-boat king
08-29-2005, 06:52 AM
Beer-30 I think what VDV is getting at is...Have you ever had experience with Torco in a V-Drive? Alot of people on this board will run with what they hear. If this guy goes out and gets Torco and it jacks his shit up, wont you feel a little guilty? not to say Torco is garbage, but if there is no experience with it in a V-Drive please dont give the guy mis-guided or proven info. :)the k-69 boat only ran torco syn gear oil in its v-drive and never had a faliure. took it back to drew a casale every year and he said it looks brand new. plus mercury only uses torco in the # 6 drive to.

dmontzsta
08-29-2005, 07:27 AM
the k-69 boat only ran torco syn gear oil in its v-drive and never had a faliure. took it back to drew a casale every year and he said it looks brand new. plus mercury only uses torco in the # 6 drive to.
There is some experience we have been looking for.
;)

Beer-30
08-29-2005, 07:34 AM
No, I have never ran a V-drive. Like previously mentioned, a gear box is a gear box. The thing is to find the best oil for the speed and load of the gears. The issue with the overdrive unit is very similar to V-drive boxes. Gears meshing under high load and spinning fast. Bottom line is, none of the oils mentioned could hurt the gears or bearings.

Kurtis500
08-29-2005, 07:49 AM
30wt motor oil in the race boats, and 90wt gear lube in the lake boats. Never a failure.
OMC along with some others sell a non foaming gear oil for use in the upper and lower units without vents.

V-DRIVE VIDEO
08-29-2005, 08:09 AM
No, I have never ran a V-drive.
I was just curious... I run the Torco as well. :cool:

Beer-30
08-29-2005, 08:10 AM
:D I was just curious... I run the Torco as well. :cool:

kielbasa
08-29-2005, 11:13 AM
well then what would you guys recommend in my 1970 vintage paragon vdrive gearbox...I was told by the local paragon guru to run automatic trans fluid (he claims that's what they were factory filled with), I mentioned modern synthetic gear lube and just scoffed, he says it needs to be a thin oil to get up the the ujoints in the housing between the trans and gearbox....

76BARRON
08-29-2005, 12:42 PM
They do have a Synthetic ATF or blend out now that may offer a bit more protection if your runnin ATF.

Beer-30
08-29-2005, 06:19 PM
They do have a Synthetic ATF or blend out now that may offer a bit more protection if your runnin ATF.
Yes, they do. If you could see how thin the RTF is, you would see it would do the trick. This stuff that replaces 75-90w looks and pours like 10-40. Smoother shifting, though.