PDA

View Full Version : How many turns on the gate valves..?

Hollis
08-29-2005, 03:06 AM
I just installed two gate valves on the water intake to the manifolds because one manifold was getting more water than the other. How many turns to close them up a bit.? I think four revolutions may be half way.

jrork
08-29-2005, 06:50 AM
I have a gate valve on my dump line and measured it before I installed it.
2 turns = 1/2 open
4 turns = wide open

Moneypitt
08-29-2005, 07:15 AM
You're going to have to experiment with your set up. There is no "standard" for gate valves unless you are comparing exact twins. Even at that, your requirements are probably going to be different, and it will take some adjustment to get yours just right. If you have a difference between the 2 sides try to find out why. One side may be restricted and the gate valves may not solve the problem...........MP

Duane HTP
08-29-2005, 07:35 AM
There isn't a standard number of turns or notches that will work for every gate valve. The ramp rate of the threads that make the valve go up and down is not the same for every make or brand. Trial and error. Like the post above says, find out why the flow rate is different from one side to the other. iT SHOULD BE THE SAME IF PLUMBED RIGHT. Check all hoses, fittings, and manifolds for restrictions. Sometimes it can be as simple as a hose that has come apart on the inside and causing a restriction, or that the hoses are not the same length from the Tee.