PDA

View Full Version : Anyone have heating problems with the Ford 6.0 turbo deisel

GBLASER
08-29-2005, 07:55 AM
Just wondering if anyone is experiencing the same thing. I have an 05 F250 6.0 Deisel. When towing and climbing the hills on the way to the river, the temp gauge will climb to just below the "H". The fan kicks on and it goes down but it seems odd since my boat only weighs 4000 lbs. It never has gotten close the red and normally runs right at the half way mark. Maybe this is normal?

cola
08-29-2005, 08:14 AM
I was talking to a friend yesterday about his Ford. It does the same thing. We were thinking if he opens up the exhaust it might help. ???
Late, Mike

mmered8299
08-29-2005, 08:15 AM
try dieselstop.com for your answer

GBLASER
08-29-2005, 08:48 AM
Mine never gets to the point that I should stop but none the less it climbs up.

Woodster
08-29-2005, 09:39 AM
I have the same truck and the same problem. Ive done some research and was told by a Ford tech that the gauge cluster is overly sensetive, and it needs to be changed out. When the gauge hits right below the "H", the thermostat opens up and thats why the engine cools down so fast( along with the fans kicking in) My truck goes back to ford next week to get fixed.But I was told not to be to concerned about it..I just towed my Trailer last weekend ( 14k pounds loaded) through 105 degree heat and the fan and temp gauge was all over the place. But I didnt have any problems.

INSman
08-29-2005, 09:52 AM
A good buddy had the same problem, apparently just a gauge issue and told not to worry about it

riverroyal
08-29-2005, 09:55 AM
05' 6.0...first time i towed with it pulling my 5th wheel ii made it to temecula and it hit the H a few times,service advisor at Ken GRody said dont worry about it,they all are doing it.

JB in so cal
08-29-2005, 09:59 AM
05' 6.0...first time i towed with it pulling my 5th wheel ii made it to temecula and it hit the H a few times,service advisor at Ken GRody said dont worry about it,they all are doing it.
Comforting

riverroyal
08-29-2005, 10:06 AM
its not a big deal,its not getting hot enough to be a issue,it can be fixed i guess,the fan can come on sooner or something,,,its under warranty,the temp gauge goes form the middle to the H in about a 300 yards,it scared the shiat outta me,only on hills,only towing big weight,wont do it towing the boat,just the trailer.

JB in so cal
08-29-2005, 10:10 AM
I'd get a new one if I was you! :idea:

riverroyal
08-29-2005, 10:11 AM
twin turbo.By the way Im still full from dinner

JB in so cal
08-29-2005, 10:12 AM
chicken pot, chicken pot, chicked pot piiiiiiiiiiiie!

BigDoug
08-29-2005, 11:27 AM
My 03 6.0 has zero issues towing anything, maybe i got lucky :)

Woodster
08-29-2005, 12:00 PM
Its only with the 05's..(faulty gauge cluster)

boater72
08-29-2005, 04:16 PM
Just traded in 03 that was doing the same thing for a 06.But not just for this problem. We tow the 5th wheel race car trailer which weighs a lot and the ford tech said it is the weight. Some of the answers we all get from some of the ford dealers are out of this world as I have been in this field a long time and can smell B.S. I myself think it was the tranny getting hot as the tranny cooler lines run through the rad also. Been towing for two year with that truck all over the wester states and never had a problem untill comming home from Sonoma last month and hit the Grape vine going south only. She (temp gauge)went right up quick and dow as quick as soon as we were done going up the hill.

Sportin' Wood
08-29-2005, 05:33 PM
Mine's doing it also.Guess we should all call photoglou. :)

shadow
08-29-2005, 07:52 PM
I have the same truck and the same problem. Ive done some research and was told by a Ford tech that the gauge cluster is overly sensetive, and it needs to be changed out. When the gauge hits right below the "H", the thermostat opens up and thats why the engine cools down so fast( along with the fans kicking in) My truck goes back to ford next week to get fixed.But I was told not to be to concerned about it..I just towed my Trailer last weekend ( 14k pounds loaded) through 105 degree heat and the fan and temp gauge was all over the place. But I didnt have any problems.
Ahhhhhhhhh Bullshit!(sneeze).EGR is cooled through the coolant.Poor design and the exhaust gas is heating up the coolant.
Got a couple of them in our shop with blown head gaskets.Tell you dealer to dig a little deeper,tell them to run oasis and contact the hotline.

My Man's Sportin' Wood
08-29-2005, 08:01 PM
Sounds like a recall is in order.

J540
08-29-2005, 08:39 PM
I have an 05 4X4 Excursion and I had an 03, an 04 and my boat is 5800 lb's not counting all the shit in it and in the truck. None of them have done that, Going to the river one day it was 117 and the temp gage go's to the top of the little thermoneter pic,.

SurfOnH20
08-29-2005, 09:04 PM
6.0 problems never seem to go away. I have 2 friends who have nothing but problems with theirs. One of the 2 trucks were bought back by Ford due to the lemon law. As for me I have an 02 7.3 and never had a problem. when Ford lowered the displacements in the 6.0 and tried keeping with new EPA laws, thats when the problems began.

boater72
08-29-2005, 09:05 PM
Ahhhhhhhhh Bullshit!(sneeze).EGR is cooled through the coolant.Poor design and the exhaust gas is heating up the coolant.
Got a couple of them in our shop with blown head gaskets.Tell you dealer to dig a little deeper,tell them to run oasis and contact the hotline.
Got to go with this one. As I said I thought tranny for the same reason. This truck we had didn't do it for the first two years we towed with it. Just the last two trips to Sonoma for the Div race and the Nationals. So this was why I was thinking tranny was getting hot as it had some tuff miles on it.