PDA

View Full Version : Nevada Watercraft reg question?

2Driver
08-29-2005, 03:08 PM
Anyone know how NV handles ownership paperwork for boats & trailers?
I am now looking at a boat in NV since the seller of the Lavey craft I WAS buying decided to keep his.
In know in CA there is a title like a car for the boat and trailer. In AZ there is a Title only for the trailer and a nonsense certificate only for the boat. I want to be sure I am looking at a clean title with no liens.
Thanks,

2Driver
08-29-2005, 03:36 PM
WE HAVE ours reg(boat)in nev 75$(ut 600$)and the trailer in ut 40$ a year,fish & game handles it
THanks, but do you get a "title" that shows liens or do you have one of those watercraft certificates like AZ that really shows little info and requires no Lien info or notary?

kingmismo
08-29-2005, 03:53 PM
As I recall there is a title for the boat and one for the trailer. The boat is registered through Fish and Game and the trailer through DMV. If the trailer was last registered out of Nevada it needs to have a VIN check at the DMV.

Sleek-Jet
08-29-2005, 05:35 PM
Everything has a title, I think you're thinking of the registration.
Boats don't at least not in Arizona. AZ issues a registration/certificate of ownership all in one. It looks like a postcard. Evidentally in AZ all the liens are recorded on the trailer, not the vessel.
CA issues a certificate of ownership that liens and what not can be registered on, but the word "title" appears no where on the paper.

2Driver
08-29-2005, 05:41 PM
Boats don't at least not in Arizona. AZ issues a registration/certificate of ownership all in one. It looks like a postcard. Evidentally in AZ all the liens are recorded on the trailer, not the vessel.
CA issues a certificate of ownership that liens and what not can be registered on, but the word "title" appears no where on the paper.
That is true and the basis for my concern. A lot of hanky panky can take place with a AZ boat seeing it is so loose. No liens are recorded to the boat and you don't need a notary to change ownership. If you were to buy a boat or ski with no trailer there is will be no record of a lien on the combination registration/title. In essence you could be buying a craft with a big lien on it and the reg/title would not tell you. In addition, the owner possesses the reg/title even if there is a lien...weird
If anyone knows for sure how NV handles it I would appreciated it. Thanks

2Driver
08-30-2005, 07:35 AM
Not trying to be a smartass, but I would look into that a little more closely. There's just no way that you could be allowed to place that fast and loose with a $100,000+ boat.
I know your not trying.. :rollside: I've lived here for 20 years and been through 11 boats and 6 stand-ups It is all true about how AZ handles it. THe post card registration is the title and list no liens or needs a notary. I could reach in any boat grab the registration post card, forge the seller signiture then walk down to game and fish and put the boat in my name and turn around and sell it to you the same day....
That's AZ but I just need some info on how NV handles boat titles, regs and lien info on the title or is it like AZ ...... if anyone can help?????

voodoomedman
08-31-2005, 02:56 PM
I know your not trying.. :rollside: I've lived here for 20 years and been through 11 boats and 6 stand-ups It is all true about how AZ handles it. THe post card registration is the title and list no liens or needs a notary. I could reach in any boat grab the registration post card, forge the seller signiture then walk down to game and fish and put the boat in my name and turn around and sell it to you the same day....
That's AZ but I just need some info on how NV handles boat titles, regs and lien info on the title or is it like AZ ...... if anyone can help?????
That always did kinda worry me. But I only have it on the boat when we are on the boat. Otherwise it is hidden away in the alarmed house away from the boat. They'd have to find it the same way they'd have to find my pink slip for my california registered stuff. I think if someones going to steal your boat they are just going to steal it and not mess with trying to get it registered in their name because it would leave a trail back to them and you'd be able to prove that you did not sell it to them.

spectratoad
08-31-2005, 03:55 PM
You get a title for the trailer. That goes through DMV (Dep. of Motor Vehicles) and you get a title for the boat from the Nevada Division of Wildlife. You register the trailer through DMV and register the boat through NDOW.
If they are currently titled outside of Nevada you will have to take trailer to DMV for VIN inspection and the boat to NDOW for hull ID inspection to register or title in Nevada.
Hope that helps. :D
Nevada titles do have a section showing if there is a lien on it, providing one was filed. The lien holder will also have to sign title to release the lien. :cool: