PDA

View Full Version : Plumber reccomendations

voodoomedman
12-30-2005, 01:19 PM
Is anyone or does anyone know a good plumber that is reasonably priced in the Chino area??? Bought a water softener for the new house from Sears and the contractor they sent out wants almost $800 to install the darn thing. The havasu house was free installation after rebates for the softener and reverse osmosis. Of course the houses are preplumbed for softeners in Havasu but 800 snappers seems kinda high.

MAINEVENT
12-30-2005, 01:21 PM
You dont need softners in so cal......... but anyway 800 bones sounds about right depending on how much plumbing and pipe is needed good luck man

HOOTER SLED-
12-30-2005, 01:22 PM
The Flying Vees. Altar Girl might be able to make a house call. :D :devil: :devil: :devil:

Kilrtoy
12-30-2005, 01:51 PM
The flyin vee's are the best....

voodoomedman
12-30-2005, 01:56 PM
You dont need softners in so cal......... but anyway 800 bones sounds about right depending on how much plumbing and pipe is needed good luck man
I know you don't need it but I prefer it. The difference in the water at home and at the Havasu house is big. The crap in the water sometimes makes me itch a bit. The other big plus besides the advertised ones is I freaking hate all the hard water buildup in the shower. We squeegee when were done showering but the stuff still stays in the corners and cracks and on the fixtures and.......

voodoomedman
12-30-2005, 02:01 PM
If 800 bucks is the going rate I'll pay it as I want it done right but I just don't want to get hosed on the price because it's subcontracted by Sears. I would also rather give the money to someone I know or a fellow boater.
We just ordered a custom built in entertainment center and the guy we chose was because the price they quoted was the total price and they were cool and honest and came to the house to measure and weren't pushy. Another guy says one price and then after talking and about ready to leave says plus tax plus delivery and install... The price is pretty much the same. Maybe even 50 bucks higher with the other guy but I am getting honest work. I hate being taken advantage of.

GOFSTSUMDAY
12-30-2005, 02:24 PM
$800 to cut one pipe, sweat on two elbows and (2) 3' - 4' sections of 3/4" copper w/ male threaded ends to attach braded hoses to. You buy me the plane ticket, I'll do it for free. Getting pretty cold here in Illinois this time of year. All things said, it's about going rate. Just high as hell!!!

voodoomedman
12-30-2005, 02:45 PM
$800 to cut one pipe, sweat on two elbows and (2) 3' - 4' sections of 3/4" copper w/ male threaded ends to attach braded hoses to. You buy me the plane ticket, I'll do it for free. Getting pretty cold here in Illinois this time of year. All things said, it's about going rate. Just high as hell!!!
7 ft of 1 1/4 in pipe to the main $83.93
P-Trap $40.00
Air Gap $49.99
32 ft 1/2 in pvc $255.68
install $315.00
Hole in Wall $37.50
Grand Total $782.10
Being price gouged Priceless

jayd_jr
12-30-2005, 03:06 PM
P-Trap $40.00
Air Gap $49.99
32 ft 1/2 in pvc $255.68
install $315.00
Hole in Wall $37.50
Grand Total $782.10
Lets all remember they are they to make money. There is alot of details people dont think about when asking for services. Insurance, tax and alot of other costs just ask the flyn v's. I would just get another estimate. Most plumbers rates are in the 65 to 80 dollar an hour range. 2 guys 3 hours your there.... Just in labor. materials have skyrocketed. I do side jobs (plumbing) all the time and I feel bad charging the prices for material as it is so high now.
You can PM me I will hook you up with someone that can do it cheaper if you need. Jay D.
Jay D.

NorCal Gameshow
12-30-2005, 03:18 PM
P-Trap $40.00
Air Gap $49.99
32 ft 1/2 in pvc $255.68
install $315.00
Hole in Wall $37.50
Grand Total $782.10
pvc pipe has really gone up.. :rolleyes:

My Man's Sportin' Wood
12-30-2005, 06:27 PM
Funny I thought the same thing. $255 for 32 feet of PVC? Now the insurance, truck, time, etc is understandable. Insurance being the biggie.

YeLLowBoaT
12-30-2005, 07:07 PM
Funny I thought the same thing. $255 for 32 feet of PVC? Now the insurance, truck, time, etc is understandable. Insurance being the biggie.
So Ture... as of the 1st of the year my INS is going up $400 :cry:
255 for 32 feet of 1/2" pvc... maybe if it had about 50 elbows in it.
I would bet if you shop around you can find some 1 willing to do it for 5 or 600.
GL

77charger
12-30-2005, 07:17 PM
might be copper pipes too.that is pricey right there.
Labor charge i see 315 bucks.Sounds right to me(considering expense cost of bus) but the parts list is what adds up.
I do alot of stuff myself and cant believe how much i spend on materials for a minor job wheter it is house,yard,boat,bikes,etc.

hoolign
12-30-2005, 07:18 PM
Get Mrs Flyin V..once the job is done she makes no issues about reachin in and ticklein the ol prostate! ...just plumbin she says! :D

Rexone
12-30-2005, 08:18 PM
At those prices I think I need to start selling copper and pvc pipe. :rolleyes:
1/2" pvc is only a few bucks a stick, pvc fittings are really cheap and 1 1/4 copper even if type K (which this likely isn't) should be $40 or so for 10 ft stick.

voodoomedman
12-30-2005, 10:31 PM
It's all pvc. The big part is for all the materials is running the pvc through the outside wall and 32 feet back to the cleanout for a drain. Everything else will be right there at the unit. Yes they will have have to cut into the drywall to get to the main and hook it up and I wasn't debating those costs. but 255 bucks for pvc. I guess I was just thinking it would be between 3 and 4 hundred and now that I realize about the draining more around 5 but damn near 800 just seems high. Maybe it's because Sears takes their cut. I actually thought it would be more reasonable with them as Sears would control the pricing. I guess not. I have done countertops through Home Depot before and while it does suck going through a middle man I have to say that the pricing was very reasonable.

Rexone
12-30-2005, 11:00 PM
Based on the "material" prices I think you're getting boned. Labor seems ok. 1/2" pvc can't be more than 5 bucks a 10 foot stick if that. 4 sticks and a few fittings for a buck or two each doesn't equal $255 on my calculator :D.
I can pvc a whole damn yard for less than that. I'd keep lookin.

Rexone
12-30-2005, 11:02 PM
If all PVC and not copper that one is grossly high too.
I guess the plumber thinks no one ever been by Home Depot or bought a piece of PVC lol.

voodoomedman
12-30-2005, 11:08 PM
I guess the plumber thinks no one ever been by Home Depot or bought a piece of PVC lol.
Exactly. I live at Home Depot. If I can do something myself I usually do providing I have the time and the cost savings is worth it. And I can't hate doing it either. I will never freaking lay tile anymore cuz I can't freaking stand it. On the other hand it was enjoyable laying all the wood floor. I simply do not have all the tools to do this plumbing job. It would cost me at least the 800 bones to do it myself. Oh well I will find someone who does a good job to do it for less money. Something reasonable. I'm not looking for unlicensed garbage but I'm looking for value.

YeLLowBoaT
12-30-2005, 11:17 PM
maybe that price inculdes the $80 permit...... :crossx:
I mean really, these guys didn't even ask if you wanted lube... Its ppl like this, that make it hard for the honest contractor to earn the homeowners trust...
Just a idea... you could have then do the job... then force them to show inoves/receits for the material they used.... if they fail/refuse to show them....then your lawyer could make them wish that he had used lube...

voodoomedman
12-30-2005, 11:22 PM
maybe that price inculdes the $80 permit...... :crossx:
I mean really, these guys didn't even ask if you wanted lube... Its ppl like this, that make it hard for the honest contractor to earn the homeowners trust...
Just a idea... you could have then do the job... then force them to show inoves/receits for the material they used.... if they fail/refuse to show them....then your lawyer could make them wish that he had used lube...
I think I'm just going to stand at the South Windsor Ramp with a Stainless Steel Prop and sell it to Kilrtoy for 800 bucks when he wrecks his on a rock. Hell if he busts both props I can actually be ahead. :D

superdave013
12-31-2005, 06:41 AM
If you don't want to pay the do it yourself.
You said you don't have the tools but tools for PVC are cheep. Cheepo cutter and some glue are pretty much all you need. Some soder and a cheep torch for the copper.
But.........................
You will make more then 2 trips to home depot and spend 4 times as long doing it. So, how much is a COMPLETE weekend of F'in with it worth to you?
Another thing to look at is even if you go to someone else you didn't buy the softner from them. That's like buying parts online at Summitt and asking your local high performance marine shop to install them for you. Of course you'll pay more.
I had the flying V's do some stuff at my house. After I spet so much time under it saving money doing my own wiring I got over the plumbing and called them out.

voodoomedman
12-31-2005, 10:11 PM
If you don't want to pay the do it yourself.
You said you don't have the tools but tools for PVC are cheep. Cheepo cutter and some glue are pretty much all you need. Some soder and a cheep torch for the copper.
But.........................
You will make more then 2 trips to home depot and spend 4 times as long doing it. So, how much is a COMPLETE weekend of F'in with it worth to you?
Another thing to look at is even if you go to someone else you didn't buy the softner from them. That's like buying parts online at Summitt and asking your local high performance marine shop to install them for you. Of course you'll pay more.
I had the flying V's do some stuff at my house. After I spet so much time under it saving money doing my own wiring I got over the plumbing and called them out.
I hear ya. I've just never tackled this particular thing before and in this instance I would rather pay to have it done. That's not what I'm asking. I'm asking if there is a reasonable price. I may be wrong but 800 just seems a bit high. Especially when you look at the itemization. As far as Summit goes... This is not Sears doing it. It is an independent contractor. I think that maybe it costs more because Sears takes their cut.

FMluvswater
01-01-2006, 01:32 AM
The flyin vee's are the best....
I don't even live in the States and by rep alone I KNEW that! :smile: The Flyin Vees are good people and that makes for good service. :smile:

Tinkerer
01-01-2006, 01:50 PM
If you agree to have them do the job and then ask to see the reciepts.
If they say NO ( I would say no ) you don't have a leg to stand on in court.
You agreed to the job and thus the price.
It doesn't matter what the costs are compaired to the job quote if you agree to the job price.
I too agree the price is very high.

NorCal Gameshow
01-01-2006, 02:08 PM
If you agree to have them do the job and then ask to see the reciepts.
If they say NO ( I would say no ) you don't have a leg to stand on in court.
You agreed to the job and thus the price.
It doesn't matter what the costs are compaired to the job quote if you agree to the job price.
I too agree the price is very high.
Going to court? I think he just wants to know if it's a fair price... ;)

Throttle
01-01-2006, 02:14 PM
I used to know a plummer... he did more than the plumming, well I guess its still plumming! lol!

voodoomedman
01-01-2006, 10:02 PM
Going to court? I think he just wants to know if it's a fair price... ;)
Your right but I think he was referring to someone elses post advising me to ask for receipts for materials cost after the work is done since apparently PVC is now up to 10 bucks a foot.

Tinkerer
01-02-2006, 01:35 PM
Your right but I think he was referring to someone elses post advising me to ask for receipts for materials cost after the work is done since apparently PVC is now up to 10 bucks a foot.
I was not defending the high priced plumber.
I was just stating that NO business is going to show you the actual cost of materials. I sure wouldn't and I don't mark materials up very much ( I don't have to.)
It doesn't matter how much you think you are getting screwed after the fact.
If the contractor has a signed contract and the job is done you must pay him the contract amount.
If you decide to fight it in court YOU WILL LOSE.
YOU AGREED TO THE PRICE WHEN YOU SIGNED THE CONTRACT...

KineticoH20
01-02-2006, 06:45 PM
Since i own a water treatment co 25 yrs now, i'll comment, $800 is to much for a basic install, also you shouldv use copper for the hook-up, the drain can be in pvc. Sears equipment made by ecodyne is the worst equipment on the planet,trust me i know. Water softening equipment is absolutley needed in southern calif, the hardness levels range from 12 grains per gallon to over 25 both numbers are very hard water.

bullseye
01-02-2006, 07:30 PM
voodoo
e mail me your ph # i do some plumbing on the side might be able to help you out jpriggs56@verizon.net :rollside: