PDA

View Full Version : Blown 496 HO Gromet??

roln 20s
05-07-2006, 05:16 PM
Has anyone else had any blown gromets between the heat exchange and cooling system on the 496HO??
I have now blown 2 in 3 weekends--first time I noticed it in the channel, this past time it happened pulling into Topack for breakfast. I'm not mechanically inclined, but with the help of E502 was able to pull out the damaged Gromet and use a mechanics best friend - "duct tape" which actually worked and got us all the way back to the trailer without any issues.
Now, back to Lakeland Marine. Thanks Miguel for helping me out with the shop delivery :) Drinks on me next time I see you :) :D
Roln 20s
http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data/500/1404grommet-800.jpg

CMATT21
05-07-2006, 05:42 PM
ROLN 20's no problems with our new 496HO. We just broke it in last week. I will keep an eye on that. I will be needing to get some more Hot Sauce from you. Your Products are unbelievable. I cleaned three boats and they all came out awsome. The Vinyl cleaner is off the hook. I really need something good for the gibson exhaust tips though. I had to clean the boats beacuse the shop you are taking your boat to never put my cover back on after $6500 worth of work and a wash and they wouldn't give any refund. I will never be back.
Anyway, I was the guy at the boat show who lost the phone and you guys helped me get it back. Again a BIG THANKS
Later
MATTO

rrrr
05-07-2006, 06:09 PM
only on the dcb's :cry: J/K maybe the part it fits into is bad?
Izzat Duct tape Cause it's Broken? :D :D

phebus
05-07-2006, 06:54 PM
I rememer a thread on OSO on that issue. Do a search over there, and see what you find.

phebus
05-07-2006, 07:10 PM
Here is a post from Ray at Raylar in regards to the issue:
Mercury Marine had some problems with the grommets under the heat exchanger on the 496's developing leaks after sitting and use. I believe they had a recall through the Mercury dealers to repair them with new grommets. Check with your local Mercury Marine dealer or your boat builder. Hope this helps.
Ray @ Raylar
But, then again, you already know this :)
Was it opposite sides, or the same side Lakeland already replaced?

roln 20s
05-07-2006, 07:32 PM
Here is a post from Ray at Raylar in regards to the issue:
Mercury Marine had some problems with the grommets under the heat exchanger on the 496's developing leaks after sitting and use. I believe they had a recall through the Mercury dealers to repair them with new grommets. Check with your local Mercury Marine dealer or your boat builder. Hope this helps.
Ray @ Raylar
But, then again, you already know this :)
Was it opposite sides, or the same side Lakeland already replaced?
Thanks Rick-- I'll get this info over to them just to verify. Yes, it was the same Grommet--very unusual.
Roln 20s

fourspeednup
05-07-2006, 08:26 PM
Well looks like you've got some good info...but now on to the important issues.
Like how was the Cinco de Milfo weekend? :D :D :crossx:

vmjtc3
05-07-2006, 08:31 PM
Never mind the gromet we want pics already :)
Also I need some Hot sauce. If you meet up with Dan next week can you send some back with him? I will call him this week and see if he can grab it for me. :boxed:

Jordy
05-07-2006, 09:13 PM
I really need something good for the gibson exhaust tips though.
CLR is the juice of choice for exhaust tips. ;)

riverroyal
05-09-2006, 05:21 PM
it leaked,also my water pump,plus a bunch more coolant leaks

dicudmore
05-09-2006, 05:30 PM
Never mind the gromet we want pics already :)
Also I need some Hot sauce. If you meet up with Dan next week can you send some back with him? I will call him this week and see if he can grab it for me. :boxed:
he hasn't sent me any pics yet either but I can arrange pick up on the Hot Sauce...
Patrick, thats a big hint on sharing those pics :D
I KNOW THERE ARE SOME GOOD ONES

AZJD
05-09-2006, 06:22 PM
Has anyone else had any blown gromets between the heat exchange and cooling system on the 496HO??
I have now blown 2 in 3 weekends--first time I noticed it in the channel, this past time it happened pulling into Topack for breakfast. I'm not mechanically inclined, but with the help of E502 was able to pull out the damaged Gromet and use a mechanics best friend - "duct tape" which actually worked and got us all the way back to the trailer without any issues.
Now, back to Lakeland Marine. Thanks Miguel for helping me out with the shop delivery :) Drinks on me next time I see you :) :D
Roln 20s
Wait I see the problem, it's right there in the background.....That DCB sticker.....496's are not official KoolAid member approved! j/k
Sorry bro, can't offer any help, just bustin' your balls!

riverroyal
05-09-2006, 07:25 PM
Wait I see the problem, it's right there in the background.....That DCB sticker.....496's are not official KoolAid member approved! j/k
DCBs only take blue motors and up,never black

slowinhavasu
05-09-2006, 07:25 PM
Hey baller....you should get an extra to keep on the boat till your sure it's fixed.....

98 Vector 21
05-09-2006, 08:17 PM
Looks like a broken condom to me! Was this the MILF weekend? There ya go thats what happend!

dicudmore
05-09-2006, 08:19 PM
Looks like a broken condom to me! Was this the MILF weekend? There ya go thats what happend!
I can neither deny nor confirm that statement... :idea:

Raylar
05-10-2006, 06:29 AM
Roln20
Did this grommet come from the side with the thermostat or the left side where there is no thermostat under it??
Ray @ Raylar

desertbird
05-10-2006, 11:06 AM
Check this out:
http://www.***boat.com/forums/showthread.php?t=77516
I posted the same problem over a year ago! I then had Teague Custom Marine change it while doing other work, but it still leaked!!! :mad: I was pissed at them, but Mario kicked down a new pair for me to install myself. :argue:
Guess what, my install leaked too. :rolleyes: I apologized to them and have since just learned to live with it. Never had one "blow" In fact, I notice that it never leaks under pressure, and only will leave a little orange puddle in my bilge after it sits for a while. I did nont know anything about the Merc recall. Ray, was there a P/N change to the grommet/donut? Material change?
Why doesn't Merc send letters to registered owners about this stuff? Hell, I still get letters from Ford recalls on a Ranger I sold 10 years ago!

AZJD
05-10-2006, 05:23 PM
Roln 20s
You know whats funny, if you just glance at that picture it looks like your bilge full of water!