PDA

View Full Version : Sheriff Checkpoint

boxscore
08-30-2005, 06:51 AM
Anyone have the good (or not so good) fortune of running into the checkpoint at the I-40 bridge in Topock on Saturday? I came through just before dark and they were packing up for the day, processing tents, canopies, gobs of cops, etc.

Not So Fast
08-30-2005, 07:11 AM
Which agency was it, SBSD or Mohave??? NSF

JetBoatRich
08-30-2005, 07:12 AM
wonder how they did :jawdrop:
I read in the local paper, Palmdale ran a checkpoint and out of 400 cars two arrest were made for DUI

Not So Fast
08-30-2005, 07:13 AM
I also heard that they would have check points on the water this weekend, dont know how that would work thou, maybe at the ramps???? :notam: NSF

boxscore
08-30-2005, 07:21 AM
Might have been multi-agency... I saw San Berdo boats, and they were camped out on the AZ side , south of the bridge.

Captain Dan
08-30-2005, 07:41 AM
It was multi-agency and were only stopping boats going north at the time we went through at about 4 pm.

Not So Fast
08-30-2005, 07:42 AM
Might have been multi-agency... I saw San Berdo boats, and they were camped out on the AZ side , south of the bridge.
I'm a little confused I guess, you're saying you saw the check point from the bridge and it was on the water?? Wow, if they do that this weekend can you imagine the results, I will get the lowdown on this for sure :squiggle: NSF

Havasu_Dreamin
08-30-2005, 07:51 AM
Wow, if they do that this weekend can you imagine the results, I will get the lowdown on this for sure :squiggle: NSF
Probably why they did it this past weekend.

rivercrazy
08-30-2005, 07:56 AM
We also noticed the OUI checkpoint just below the I-40 bridge on Saturday. They were setting it up around 1pm or so. At least 7-8 boats, a couple of OUI checkpoint bouys and a very large contingent of law enforcement on the beach waiting to take away offenders.
Anyone know how many peeps got busted?

boxscore
08-30-2005, 08:01 AM
I heard about it while in Park Moabi... Made a hasty but prudent decision to head North. Hung out at Avi (donated some $$$ to the Indian Craps Fund), then headed back to Havi about 7pm. That's when we cruised by while they were breaking down camp. It made for an interesting moonless run thru Topock and onto Havi for us. Thank goodness it was a sausage weekend, otherwise my wife wouldn't have enjoyed the night run through the gorge.

mbrown2
08-30-2005, 08:30 AM
I heard about it while in Park Moabi... Made a hasty but prudent decision to head North. Hung out at Avi (donated some $$$ to the Indian Craps Fund), then headed back to Havi about 7pm. That's when we cruised by while they were breaking down camp. It made for an interesting moonless run thru Topock and onto Havi for us. Thank goodness it was a sausage weekend, otherwise my wife wouldn't have enjoyed the night run through the gorge.
That run sounds a little nerve racking through the gorge....no moon out makes it definitely interesting...

rivercrazy
08-30-2005, 08:33 AM
When we noticed the OUI checkpoint we did an about face and rolled into Moabi and warned a few peeps. Then headed up river to stay away from the potential traffic jam.
I wasn't worred about my own personal alcohol consumption but being tied up to a sheriff boat in a high traffic area with very rough water was not my idea of fun! :D

TOHIPTOSLIP
08-30-2005, 09:20 AM
I Was There Sat Got Hit For No Safty Cushion

rvrhlic
08-30-2005, 09:34 AM
We went through it on Saturday afternoon. I don't drink when I am driving the boat so it was no big deal. Ended up talking to one of the Sheriff's on a jet ski and he just did a quick follow my finger thing and let us go through without having to pull up on shore and do the whole ordeal.
There was a few tow boats in the area so I assume that several people got popped. We were on our way up to the bar at topoc and warned some people there.

voodoomedman
08-30-2005, 09:39 AM
Why does everybody say that the warned everybody in Moabi or Topac or whatever. I mean if it's for them to avoid congestion I can see it, but... If it's for them to avoid getting a DUI then screw that. Let them get popped. I'd rather see them in jail than hitting me and endangering my life and my families life.

Debbolas
08-30-2005, 09:46 AM
Why does everybody say that the warned everybody in Moabi or Topac or whatever. I mean if it's for them to avoid congestion I can see it, but... If it's for them to avoid getting a DUI then screw that. Let them get popped. I'd rather see them in jail than hitting me and endangering my life and my families life.
What he said.......... :cool:

ACCEPTENCE
08-30-2005, 09:50 AM
How they did???
That depends weather your a boater or a cop. From a L.E. perspective they did very well.
It was a multi agency special detail.
Only looked at boats & watercraft headed upriver.
M.C.S.D., S.B.S.D., & A.Z.G.& F. was involved.
Rumor has it, it could happen again, and there is no gittin around it when you come up on it.
;)

Havasu_Dreamin
08-30-2005, 09:50 AM
I agree, but the warning can also let those that are not in any shape to drive that maybe a sober friend should drive or they should wait it out and sober up before they go anywhere. I don't drink alcohol while out on the boat so I'm just playing devils advocate here.

voodoomedman
08-30-2005, 09:55 AM
I agree, but the warning can also let those that are not in any shape to drive that maybe a sober friend should drive or they should wait it out and sober up before they go anywhere. I don't drink alcohol while out on the boat so I'm just playing devils advocate here.
My point is that they should do that anyway. If they only do it because there is a checkpoint then don't warn them so that way they get busted and the consequences are a big fine and jail time and will hopefully deter them instead of the consequences being living with the fact that you killed someones family. Good for you for not drinking. I don't either. If I have any beers (2 or 3) while out then we sit long enough (hours) for me to be completely sober before I drive and I drink plenty of water. Or my father-in-law can drive my boat if I decide to drink. Otherwise I wait til I get back to the house to let loose.

Debbolas
08-30-2005, 09:58 AM
Gentlemen, please tread carefully, we have people on this form HARDCORE activists for each side....and some folk here have lost people to DUI......so please be carefull.

voodoomedman
08-30-2005, 10:02 AM
Gentlemen, please tread carefully, we have people on this form HARDCORE activists for each side....and some folk here have lost people to DUI......so please be carefull.
Yes please. By all means drink and have a good time. Just don't drive while impaired. Have a designated driver or just don't drink.

Havasu_Dreamin
08-30-2005, 10:06 AM
Uh, yeah, I know, this aint exactly my first post here. :p

Debbolas
08-30-2005, 10:09 AM
Uh, yeah, I know, this aint exactly my first post here. :p
:p

ACCEPTENCE
08-30-2005, 10:11 AM
Tread carefully???
I'm a little confused here???
Do we have HARDCORE advocates for OUI.
Or advocates for warning people.
Not sure what to make of that???

Debbolas
08-30-2005, 10:14 AM
sorry
I'm recovering from surgery and not "all there yet"
What I meant was to be carefull because there are folks on this form who have lost people to drunk drivers and other people that feel anyone who tells them NOT to drink and drive is a facist.
I just get sick of the argument back and forth
thought another one was starting and was trying to slow it down
never mind
IMO
you should not drink and drive ;)

ACCEPTENCE
08-30-2005, 10:18 AM
IMO
you should not drink and drive ;)
I agree :D

Debbolas
08-30-2005, 10:23 AM
:D

rivercrazy
08-30-2005, 10:36 AM
I gave Kilrtoy a heads up when rolling through Moabi. Why anyone would want to tie up to a sheriff boat in 2-3 boat chop and risk their custom gelcoat is beyond me. Especially a DCB.
It all boils down to treat others as you would want to be treated. Common courtesy kind of thing.

syke-o
08-30-2005, 10:38 AM
I gave Kilrtoy a heads up when rolling through Moabi. Why anyone would want to tie up to a sheriff boat in 2-3 boat chop and risk their custom gelcoat is beyond me. Especially a DCB.
It all boils down to treat others as you would want to be treated. Common courtesy kind of thing.
well said.. a heads up never hhurt anyone :cool:

voodoomedman
08-30-2005, 10:42 AM
That's what I was asking! I think that's a valid reason. I don't think it's a good thing to tell people just so they don't get a DUI though. Just my opinion. But then I just love my family way too much.

Deano
08-30-2005, 11:00 AM
That's what I was asking! I think that's a valid reason. I don't think it's a good thing to tell people just so they don't get a DUI though. Just my opinion. But then I just love my family way too much.
Too much to warn a guy that you are assuming is drunk and might get into an accident while on his way to the check point to get burned?
Example: "hey look at that guy all fkd up getting into his boat. Im not going to say anything to him and let the LE pop his ass......oh, there he goes...almost there....what, whats this? a boat full of young children? oh shit! he just ran em all the fuk over!! Wow, I guess I should have said something to him."
I think it is a perfect oportunity for someone to speak up and tell someone the LE are going to pop his ass. Maybe his sober buddy will take the helm and make him think twice about driving drunk again. And just maybe you saved him or someone else from getting hurt.

rivercrazy
08-30-2005, 11:06 AM
A case can be made that the warning of a checkpoint could have saved lives or reduced the chance of an accident.
Bottom line in my particular case is I saw somebody I know and gave them a heads up. I would hope a friend would do the same for me. Also in this case the guy I warned did not appear look like they were drinking at all.
For heavy drinkers that drink and drive often, karma will catch up to them anyway.

voodoomedman
08-30-2005, 11:21 AM
Too much to warn a guy that you are assuming is drunk and might get into an accident while on his way to the check point to get burned?
Example: "hey look at that guy all fkd up getting into his boat. Im not going to say anything to him and let the LE pop his ass......oh, there he goes...almost there....what, whats this? a boat full of young children? oh shit! he just ran em all the fuk over!! Wow, I guess I should have said something to him."
I think it is a perfect oportunity for someone to speak up and tell someone the LE are going to pop his ass. Maybe his sober buddy will take the helm and make him think twice about driving drunk again. And just maybe you saved him or someone else from getting hurt.
Good point. I didn't think of it that way. Bottom line is don't put other peoples lives in danger.

Debbolas
08-30-2005, 11:37 AM
and you have a beautiful family

voodoomedman
08-30-2005, 11:39 AM
and you have a beautiful family
Thank You! You guys are great too. It's good to see you back and some of the trouble makers gone. Hope we can meet up at the river soon.

28Prowler525
08-30-2005, 12:59 PM
I was in a friends boat and we got sent to the beach. No big deal as whoever has there boat out for the day in our group does not drink. He did get ticketed for no throw cushion.
I asked the 2 cops we were dealing with if they are going to do this every weekend and they told me it will be "random but often".
I also asked if they are checking every boat and was told that when the beach gets full they let boats pass instead of filling up the area with floating boats. This must be true as the last boat to get to the check point in our 3 boat group was waived through because it was full on the beach.
I watched 2 boat drivers and 1 wave runner driver get cuffed in the 15 minutes we were on the beach.
I did not see anyone tied up to a cop boat, but that doesn't mean it wasn't happening.
IMHO I think the check points are great, and should be put in place more often. They don't bother me as I don't drink on the water whether I am on my boat or a friends.

Supultlbich
08-30-2005, 01:20 PM
Sounds like a great ride!! Glad to hear it went alright.

Supultlbich
08-30-2005, 01:26 PM
Very well put, could not have said it better!!!!!!!!!

rvrhlic
08-30-2005, 02:38 PM
They weren't tying any boats together that we saw, everyone was being directed to the beach.

J540
08-30-2005, 06:49 PM
OOPS here it is sorry for starting up a new thread on this .

Kilrtoy
08-30-2005, 06:58 PM
Lets get something straight here
I was not drunk and far from being close to a .08.....
I left about a hour after that. But what did happen is after RIVERCRAZY said this word spread down the beach like wild fire.
So perhaps he did save some one from getting arrested, but then again he may have saved someones life......
All the boats that were at Moabi were heading south and they were only stopping NORTHBOUND boats....
Thanks for the warning, not that I needed it or did any of the others that were with me....

cc322
08-30-2005, 07:05 PM
My friend got arrested sat in that spot on a sea do, BUI first time to the river and spent the night in jail, I believe it was a random check. He was very bumbed. :frown:

KACHINA KEN
08-30-2005, 07:08 PM
I Was There Sat Got Hit For No Safty Cushion
You mean your class 4 throwable?

KACHINA KEN
08-30-2005, 07:11 PM
Lets get something straight here
[SIZE=5][B]I was not drunk and far from being close
You cant get drunk on MGD anyhow.

Havasu Hangin'
08-30-2005, 07:15 PM
You cant get drunk on MGD anyhow.
http://www.handykult.de/plaudersmilies.de//happy/roflmao.gif

KACHINA KEN
08-30-2005, 07:16 PM
http://www.handykult.de/plaudersmilies.de//happy/roflmao.gif
Thank you Thank you, you've been a wonderful audience tonight.

Havasu Hangin'
08-30-2005, 07:17 PM
Thank you Thank you, you've been a wonderful audience tonight.
:notam:

Huntingtonbeach
08-30-2005, 07:18 PM
I don't post much but reading this thread had me thinking something very different then the comments made about saving someone from a OUI...
Like its been said, driving impaired catches up to you at some point. So my take was more along the lines of "hey, they have a check point set up so you might want to do something else insted of wasting your time going through it."
Funny when you dont drink on the water while driving or hang with a group that follows the same rule, you can forget that there are others out there that could careless about what "could" happen... It's nice to know that other HBer's are looking out for each other, not to stop a OUI but to make a weekend more enjoyable!!!
For the record we got stoped Sat. 4:15 ish.... took about 15-20 to pull up on the beach, get a full field test, go through a boat check, and relaunch. Only complaint was we were in a V-drive that doesnt beach... Would have been nice to know is all I'm sayin'
My .02 :smile:

KACHINA KEN
08-30-2005, 07:27 PM
:notam:
Tough crowd

THOR
08-30-2005, 07:34 PM
I have been tested several times (knock on wood) and given field sob. tests while boating and passed. It is a simple matter of being smart and/or staying parked if you have had too many. Last time I was tested I blew a 0.00 and the ahole rookie cop went to teh rig to get a new breathalizer because he thought his was broken because I didnt register. What a f'n tool.

ThongMagnet
08-30-2005, 10:49 PM
I don't see a check point in the middle of no where a big deterent to the problems that the City of Lake Havasu has on the weekends. Its pretty easy to spot an unsafe boater without the check point. There are more drunks that pass over the I-40 Bridge then under on any given day.
I thought Random searches were found unconstitutional? L.E. is trying to say that they are searching everybody, but yet I here from this thread, and personal experience that not all were search equally. If I were an attorney, I'd get as many of those arrested and form a class action lawsuit (yes even those who failed to have the proper safety equipment aboard). A good attorney could back up the courts for years. Looks like a lot of loop holes. Did you see the guy video taping? I'm sure there is alot of evidence on those video tapes to back up my claim.
Now back to the subject of Drinking and driving. Is it legal to have open containers in Lake Havasu? If the problem is drinking then I say no open containers. Easy to enforce, but yet in a town like Lake Havasu, not politically correct. Could you imagine Lake havasu with a "no open container law"? Over half the boating tourist would go somewhere else. Property values (property tax reveune)would fall. L.E. budget could be cut by 75%. No drinking in public unless it is a license bar or restaurant. No open containers in the boat...just like a car. if its zero tolerance for the car, it is only reasonable for a powerboat.
I say we push for no open containers, and stop the unconstitutional practice of randomly selecting boaters to search.
PS, I do not drink anymore on the lake (Just cold Ice Tea) and the double shot before I retire for the evening. I just hate it when a town becomes a tourist trap.

Wicky
08-31-2005, 02:36 AM
It's all about the MONEY!!!!!!!!
If it was .10 BAC, I would have a different opinion.
I need a beer,
Wicky

JetBoatRich
08-31-2005, 03:57 AM
My friend got arrested sat in that spot on a sea do, BUI first time to the river and spent the night in jail, I believe it was a random check. He was very bumbed. :frown:
sounds like he made a poor decision :sqeyes: his first trip there

Not So Fast
08-31-2005, 08:35 AM
I don't see a check point in the middle of no where a big deterent to the problems that the City of Lake Havasu has on the weekends. Its pretty easy to spot an unsafe boater without the check point. There are more drunks that pass over the I-40 Bridge then under on any given day.
I thought Random searches were found unconstitutional? L.E. is trying to say that they are searching everybody, but yet I here from this thread, and personal experience that not all were search equally. If I were an attorney, I'd get as many of those arrested and form a class action lawsuit (yes even those who failed to have the proper safety equipment aboard). A good attorney could back up the courts for years. Looks like a lot of loop holes. Did you see the guy video taping? I'm sure there is alot of evidence on those video tapes to back up my claim.
Now back to the subject of Drinking and driving. Is it legal to have open containers in Lake Havasu? If the problem is drinking then I say no open containers. Easy to enforce, but yet in a town like Lake Havasu, not politically correct. Could you imagine Lake havasu with a "no open container law"? Over half the boating tourist would go somewhere else. Property values (property tax reveune)would fall. L.E. budget could be cut by 75%. No drinking in public unless it is a license bar or restaurant. No open containers in the boat...just like a car. if its zero tolerance for the car, it is only reasonable for a powerboat.
I say we push for no open containers, and stop the unconstitutional practice of randomly selecting boaters to search.
PS, I do not drink anymore on the lake (Just cold Ice Tea) and the double shot before I retire for the evening. I just hate it when a town becomes a tourist trap.
Not being in L.E. I may be wrong here but I believe the law reads something like this, The Colorado River is a Federal waterway and subject to many LE agencies which have the right to pull you over at thier discretion for equipment checks, registration, insurance papers, unsafe operation, ect. While doing this they can say they smell alcohol and go from there with the tests. And the part that scares me is that ANY of these agencies have that authority, Fish & Game, State rangers, BLM rangers, Park Rangers ect. You may not believe in the "wanabe theory" but I've seen this go on thats why I say this. check it out, maybe I' wrong, any LEO's out there ? :idea: NSF

Not So Fast
08-31-2005, 08:44 AM
:D a little birdy says they may test at the launch ramps PRIOR to launching and when you come in after your day of boating :( :( ya'll have fun at the zoo...............
Before you launch, NO problemo, test as the boat is being picked up, BIG problemo!!! :D I dont think LHPD has enough manpower to book and transport the offenders that would be busted at say, between 5 or 6 pm plus it would ruin the local spectators fun :cool: NSF

Kilrtoy
08-31-2005, 10:08 AM
Before you launch, NO problemo, test as the boat is being picked up, BIG problemo!!! :D I dont think LHPD has enough manpower to book and transport the offenders that would be busted at say, between 5 or 6 pm plus it would ruin the local spectators fun :cool: NSF
Sure they do, and i'm sure one day they will prove it....

locogringo
08-31-2005, 05:25 PM
Kilr, wish I knew you guys were up at Moabi, so were we. Would have come over and introduced myself.
This weekend we'll be there also.

Boatcop
08-31-2005, 05:35 PM
I hear some comments about Lake Havasu City this and Lake Havasu City that. As far as the Lake is concerned, Lake Havasu City only has jurisdiction within the Channel and in the immediate area of the shoreline.They have no say or control about anything that happens out on the Lake, up through the gorge, or anywhere else out side of City Limits.
They had nothing whatsoever to do with the Checkpoint at the I-40 bridge. It was a joint operation with AZ GAme & Fish, Mohave County Sheriff, San Bernardino Sheriff, with maybe some US Fish and Wildlife thrown in.
As far as it being "out in the middle of nowhere", there have been several multiple fatal collisions in that area. All with impaired drivers.
When people don't have a lot of contact on the water with Law Enforcement, they tend to get complacent about things like drinking and driving. The purpose of checkpoints like these are to raise awareness of the problem, and deter drunk drivers. Not just to hassle the boaters and make arrests.
I've said it many times before. The most successful checkpoint is one where no arrests are made, and everyone's sober. That means that we're accomplishing our main mission.
And for all you armchair attorneys out there, there is case law, established by numerous US Supreme Court and lower Federal and State Court decisions, that uphold the legality of operations such as these. Especially when it occurs on Federal Waterways.
When is everyone going to get it through their thick alcohol fogged skulls that drinking and driving a boat (or car, or truck, or golf cart, etc.) KILLS!

riverroyal
08-31-2005, 05:39 PM
only play 9

77charger
08-31-2005, 06:34 PM
Damn!
people complain when others boat drunk then they complain when multiple agencies set up sobriety check points.Quit the crying if you boat sober like you guys say you do you aint got to worry about a thing dont'cha.Then one says there are rights violated etc.you are either guilty or you are not plain and simple if you fight it all you do is spend more money.If just plea it cost alot less and same punishment(yes i do speak from experience i took option C) plea bargain :)
Well i am off to drinking my beer at home then might grab a bag of micro popcorn :)

voodoomedman
08-31-2005, 07:04 PM
I for one Thank You for that!
I hear some comments about Lake Havasu City this and Lake Havasu City that. As far as the Lake is concerned, Lake Havasu City only has jurisdiction within the Channel and in the immediate area of the shoreline.They have no say or control about anything that happens out on the Lake, up through the gorge, or anywhere else out side of City Limits.
They had nothing whatsoever to do with the Checkpoint at the I-40 bridge. It was a joint operation with AZ GAme & Fish, Mohave County Sheriff, San Bernardino Sheriff, with maybe some US Fish and Wildlife thrown in.
As far as it being "out in the middle of nowhere", there have been several multiple fatal collisions in that area. All with impaired drivers.
When people don't have a lot of contact on the water with Law Enforcement, they tend to get complacent about things like drinking and driving. The purpose of checkpoints like these are to raise awareness of the problem, and deter drunk drivers. Not just to hassle the boaters and make arrests.
I've said it many times before. The most successful checkpoint is one where no arrests are made, and everyone's sober. That means that we're accomplishing our main mission.
And for all you armchair attorneys out there, there is case law, established by numerous US Supreme Court and lower Federal and State Court decisions, that uphold the legality of operations such as these. Especially when it occurs on Federal Waterways.
When is everyone going to get it through their thick alcohol fogged skulls that drinking and driving a boat (or car, or truck, or golf cart, etc.) KILLS!

Focker
08-31-2005, 07:48 PM
For Boatcop
I Read On A Thread Today That One Guy Was Ticketed For Being Short One Life Vest. The One The Officer Should Have Had. If This Is True That Is A Bullshit Ticket. Make Sense To You?
I Agree With What You Said Earlier In This Thread. I Would Rather Drink Light In The Channel, Let That Wear Off And Head Off With Gatorade

Boatcop
08-31-2005, 07:55 PM
That never would have happened.
Anyway, the guy who wrote that said it happened to a friend a while back, not during this check point.
Just a River "legend", like the guys who go to jail for an OUI after one beer, and a .02% BAC. Make up stories, so they won't look so bad, and it's always the a$$hole cop's fault. Never them.
Besides, every agency patrolling the River requires their Officers to wear PFDs while on the boat, so they would have had it on before the stop was made.

98 Vector 21
08-31-2005, 08:08 PM
Random search's should be a way of life on the road on the water even in the air....thats all now wheres my beer?

HM
08-31-2005, 08:12 PM
That never would have happened.
Anyway, the guy who wrote that said it happened to a friend a while back, not during this check point.
Just a River "legend", like the guys who go to jail for an OUI after one beer, and a .02% BAC. Make up stories, so they won't look so bad, and it's always the a$$hole cop's fault. Never them.
Besides, every agency patrolling the River requires their Officers to wear PFDs while on the boat, so they would have had it on before the stop was made.
This one time, at band camp.......

ThongMagnet
08-31-2005, 09:38 PM
What's the percentage of boating fatalities related to alcohol. I'm sure if ask LE, somewhere around 100%. But, if you break it down to boating experience, 98% were related to inexperience (either drivers or there guests).
How many hours, of "behind the wheel experience" of a boat does it take, before a driver of a 28' Eliminator, is skilled enough to blast up the colorado river at 70-80mph, weaving through slow boat traffic, but still maintain the proper distance between boats. Better yet, two Eliminator's racing up the river at 70-80mph. Yeah, you'll never convince me that alcohol is the problem. Speed Kills Innocent People (SKIP), Alcohol kills stupid people. Where should Law enforcement focus, excessive speed in the gorge.
So, you have a boat accident. Boat 1 is occupied by 4 drunk men, floating down the river because they ran out of gas, and boat 2 you have 4 guys in an Eliminator in great shape, sober, traveling 70-80 mph upriver. The two boats meet, and soon all are dead. Autopsy report shows boat 1 all were drunk, boat 2 all sober. Who is at fault if there are no witnesses. Who cares, its just another alcohol related boating accident :crossx: :crossx:
Speed Kills Innocent People (SKIP), Alcohol kills stupid people.

C-2
08-31-2005, 10:43 PM
What's the percentage of boating fatalities related to alcohol. I'm sure if ask LE, somewhere around 100%. But, if you break it down to boating experience, 98% were related to inexperience (either drivers or there guests).
How many hours, of "behind the wheel experience" of a boat does it take, before a driver of a 28' Eliminator, is skilled enough to blast up the colorado river at 70-80mph, weaving through slow boat traffic, but still maintain the proper distance between boats. Better yet, two Eliminator's racing up the river at 70-80mph. Yeah, you'll never convince me that alcohol is the problem. Speed Kills Innocent People (SKIP), Alcohol kills stupid people. Where should Law enforcement focus, excessive speed in the gorge.
So, you have a boat accident. Boat 1 is occupied by 4 drunk men, floating down the river because they ran out of gas, and boat 2 you have 4 guys in an Eliminator in great shape, sober, traveling 70-80 mph upriver. The two boats meet, and soon all are dead. Autopsy report shows boat 1 all were drunk, boat 2 all sober. Who is at fault if there are no witnesses. Who cares, its just another alcohol related boating accident :crossx: :crossx:
Speed Kills Innocent People (SKIP), Alcohol kills stupid people.
:hammerhea :hammerhea :hammerhea

Boatcop
09-01-2005, 05:30 AM
Who is at fault if there are no witnesses.
The person who violated the Navigation Rules and caused the accident is at fault.
If someone is drunk and involved in a collision that's determined not to be their fault, they will probably be charged with OUI, but that's it.
Has happened many times.
Who cares, its just another alcohol related boating accident
We care. We have an obligation to the families to find out exactly what happened. It's called "investigation".

ACCEPTENCE
09-01-2005, 06:58 AM
The person who violated the Navigation Rules
NAVIGATION RULES.
I'd be curious as to the number of people that don't have a clue???
I'll bet it's astounding :supp:.
>

rrrr
09-01-2005, 07:17 AM
NAVIGATION RULES.
I'd be curious as to the number of people that don't have a clue???
I'll bet it's astounding :supp:.
Use the term "stand-on vessel" and see how many blank stares you get..... :confused:

gmocnik
09-01-2005, 07:24 AM
o.k. this thread finally hit my hot button...navigation rules...
yes, there are a lot of idiots who drink too much, drive their boats, and create dangerous situations. just hang out at site six for a few hours at dusk and count the number of drunken idiots. But to see more close calls per minute than anything created by a drunk, just watch how many people completely ignore (or are ignorant of) navigation rules when coming around the island at site six. i have lost count of the number of times when heading north (or west) around the island some idiot is coming counterclockwise, close to shore, coming straight at me and making the move to pass on my starboard side. a much more dangerous situation in my opinion. Same thing happens all day long when people head out of copper canyon heading back to thompson bay. They run right at you, on the wrong side of the lake, and have no clue as to what side to approach on.
Instead of the drunk patrol, why LE does not spend some time observing and nailing these idiots is beyond me.
I quess sitting on a bike, or walking the channel looking for boobs is a tougher job???....
my rant for the day

voodoomedman
09-01-2005, 07:38 AM
Okay. You guys are right that knowledge of naviagation rules and inexperience causes accidents and close calls. That should be cracked down on. However, it does not mean that alcohol doesn't cause problems. It's the same as driving a vehicle on the highway. Some people are just idiots but a lot of it is alcohol related as well. If I were to drive my boat drunk (hypothetical because I would never do that), I know that I would be impaired enough to maybe not see something I should have or not be able to manuever out of an accident. Yes I would be aware that I was drunk and try and be as safe as possible but you can't overcome the effects of alcohol until it is out of your system. It slows you down and impairs your judgement. Now these people that you call idiots speeding and not knowing the rules is bad enough. Now imagine that same person drunk doing 80mph up the gorge coming around a blind corner at let's say blankenship bend and on the other side of that corner is you in your boat with you wife and kids. Oh and guess what you maybe had a chance to get out of the way but since you've had a six pack of beer in the past 2 hours then your reaction time was just slow enough that your family is dead or in critical condition. Oh yeah. You survived just fine so that you could feel sorry for yourself and have a miserable life for not letting your sober wife drive the boat or just waiting to get back to the house or hotel or campground to get drunk.
o.k. this thread finally hit my hot button...navigation rules...
yes, there are a lot of idiots who drink too much, drive their boats, and create dangerous situations. just hang out at site six for a few hours at dusk and count the number of drunken idiots. But to see more close calls per minute than anything created by a drunk, just watch how many people completely ignore (or are ignorant of) navigation rules when coming around the island at site six. i have lost count of the number of times when heading north (or west) around the island some idiot is coming counterclockwise, close to shore, coming straight at me and making the move to pass on my starboard side. a much more dangerous situation in my opinion. Same thing happens all day long when people head out of copper canyon heading back to thompson bay. They run right at you, on the wrong side of the lake, and have no clue as to what side to approach on.
Instead of the drunk patrol, why LE does not spend some time observing and nailing these idiots is beyond me.
I quess sitting on a bike, or walking the channel looking for boobs is a tougher job???....
my rant for the day

desertbird
09-01-2005, 07:52 AM
Use the term "stand-on vessel" and see how many blank stares you get..... :confused:
So would the "stand-on" vessel be the drunk guys floating or the Eliminator doin' 80 in the previous example?
(Holy Mackeral, desertbird knows his rules!)
:rollside: :rollside: :rollside:
As much as I agree with all of the OUI statements, the analagy before makes a lot of sense, and it's something that scares the crap outta me. Let's imagine this:
You leave the sandbar 1/2 hour too early because of an iminent T-Storm. For arguments sake you have not had a drink in over an hour, but maybe your BAC is a .08999999 right? Cruising upriver at 45 mph and some dipsheet water lice cuts left, just because it seems like a good time to do it. Your reactions aren't impaired, but the afternoon sun puts up a blinding glare on the water. You know he was off your right a second ago, you squint, BAM! You collide.
Nobody is fatally injured, but the seadoo is wasted and dude's got a broken leg. Guess who's going to jail tonight?
When are we going to get smart and enforce boater/watercraft safety courses? Treat it like the ATV community did and require them up to a certain age.
Here's another: How bout a Class T Driver license? That would look cool next to most of our C's and M1's.......T for TRAILER. You must back a 4ft Carson Trailer through a cone course with a Crew Cab truck in order to pass...... :rolleyes:

C-2
09-01-2005, 08:22 AM
And the mechanism for going to jail in both hypotheticals.....ALCOHOL.
Could happen to many of us on any given day.
Maybe DD's would eliminate the problem? Both hypotheticals would be moot with a sober driver.