PDA

View Full Version : HDMI help...

Rock-A-Bye-Baby
08-30-2005, 06:55 AM
I just bought a 46' Samsung DLP with hi def. I also bought the Directv Hi-def reciever. The manual for the Directv says to plug the HDMI straight from the back of the reciever into the tv. The TV manual says i need to that in addition to running RCA cables from the reciever to the tv using all 3 (video and 2 audios). The tv manual also says to run a coaxial cable from the vidoe out fo the reciever to the video in on the tv. Well, there is no coax out on the reciever. none the less, i tried running the HDMI straight and got no signal. i do have signal running the S-video cable and 2 audios.
Also, there is a resolution button on my reciever. it is on 480. if i push it to 710 (?) or to 1080 it tells me that these have not been enabled in the setup. When i go to setup, there is nothing that allows me to enable these resolutions.
it seems to me that the HDMI cable is not working and that i am not getting the best possible picture i can get. Any suggestions?

Rock-A-Bye-Baby
08-30-2005, 07:09 AM
i think i used "reciever" incorrectly. i was referring to the directv reciever and not my stereo reciever...if that makes any difference.
i have the Directv HD reciever and the Samsung HL-R4667w DLP tv.
my setup is like this:
i have the HDMI cable from directv box to tv.
I have S-video Cable from directv box to tv
i have 2 audo cables from direct tv box to tv
i have 2 audio cables from direct tv box to stereo reciever
i have S-video cable from dvd player to tv
i have 2 audio cables from dvd player to stereo reciever
i have 3 rca's from vcr to tv.

Rock-A-Bye-Baby
08-30-2005, 08:36 AM
bump

desertbird
08-30-2005, 08:57 AM
I do not have Direct TV, but with my Digital Cable and HD setup, the box has to be configured to produce the digital signal, and the HDMI cable must be the selected source.
On my TV, there are multiple inputs for each of the 4 available. (Meaning each of the 4 methods of input to my TV can use either Component, S-Video, or Standard) but only one of those at a time. Perhaps the S-Video connection is automatically cutting out the HD signal in either the box or the TV?

Rock-A-Bye-Baby
08-30-2005, 09:30 AM
What's the model # of your D* box? Sorry, I had to take the rugrat to school and go to the gym.
HD-10. No mfg name on it.

Rock-A-Bye-Baby
08-30-2005, 09:31 AM
BTW- i did a little googling. i think there might be a switch that takes it from component to digital. i will have to look at that when i get home. The problem witht the google results is that it refers more to the Dtv Tivo then just the HD-10

Rock-A-Bye-Baby
08-30-2005, 09:59 AM
I actually have a .pdf H10 manual and I find no mention of a switch in the manual. Try cycling everything when you get home. Get it all setup properly and then unplug the unit, wait 30 seconds and plug it back in.
will do. Thanks....

ROZ
08-30-2005, 10:15 AM
What about the tv? Do you have to go into the menu to activate the HDMI port?

ROZ
08-30-2005, 12:00 PM
That was just a thought, Bob.. Kinda like having to assign the optical inputs..
I do know that the tv won't go to the HDMI mode unless the HDMI source is "on"... Why do you have all of the cables connected? You really only need the HDMI cable connected....
Another thing is that the tv may not be receiving it's native resolution from the source...I think in this case atleast the audio will work..
Maybe the menu has output selection rather than a switch in the back..

Rock-A-Bye-Baby
08-30-2005, 12:11 PM
I do know that the tv won't go to the HDMI mode unless the HDMI source is "on"... Why do you have all of the cables connected? You really only need the HDMI cable connected....
it was a process of elimination. I can unplug the HDMI and still get signal but cannot unplug the rca's and get siganal.

Rock-A-Bye-Baby
08-30-2005, 12:12 PM
Maybe the menu has output selection rather than a switch in the back..
there was nothing obvious that i saw and i spent a lot of time back there!!

ROZ
08-30-2005, 12:15 PM
there was nothing obvious that i saw and i spent a lot of time back there!!
Is that by Hughes?
what about on the bottom of the unit?
How about in the unit's menu?

ROZ
08-30-2005, 12:16 PM
I emailed him the .pdf manual. There's definately a resolution setup in the menu.
Shoot that to CROZMUS@TWTR.com as well... I think this was the same unit THOR had?

Rock-A-Bye-Baby
08-30-2005, 12:18 PM
i read the Thor post and think we have similar problems though it seems like he got his signal to work.
did he get his problem fixed?

ROZ
08-30-2005, 01:11 PM
Pg 36 - pg 39 of your manual tells you how to set your resolution. If not set correctly, there is a chance thay you'll get no audio or video...
I think this may be the problem :)

Rock-A-Bye-Baby
08-31-2005, 07:32 AM
it turns out the HDMI output on the D* reciever was no good. So i took it back to Circuit City and swapped it out. Now it works.....until this morning when we turned the tv on, the picture filled about 1/3 of the left side of the screen and the rest was green.
whats up with that?

Rock-A-Bye-Baby
08-31-2005, 07:58 AM
Wow, another bad receiver? Maybe a bad cable? Try resetting it. I've never seen that before, but you never know.
i went in and changed the default view settings to:
Resolution: All
Native: On
not sure what Native is though....

PhantomChaos
08-31-2005, 08:04 AM
I've got the HD DirecTV TiVo unit and it has the HDMI output. Comes with a cable too....which I connected to my 62" Misubishi DLP unit. I couldn't get the dang thing to work via HDMI at all. Only via RCA jacks on normal resolution.
THEN, the HD DirecTV TiVo unit locks up (dies) after about 4 months. Luckly, I got the very extended warranty. I did that since I've heard of these things dieing early. Took it back to BestBuy and got a new one. Plugged it in via the HDMI and it worked perfect.
So....either the cable was bad, or the HDMI output was bad. Not sure which now, but that's all I have hooked up. HDMI supports both digital video and digital audio. DVI supports only video.

Rock-A-Bye-Baby
08-31-2005, 10:35 AM
Make sure your TV actually supports all resolutions before you select all. Native resolution ON lets your receiver adjust to the resolution of each individual TV program. For example, CBS-HD is 1080i and ESPN and ABC HD are 720p. If you force your receiver into 1080i mode, the 720p may not look as good, or it may look better. Play around with the resolution mode on different channels to see what presents the best picture.
I'll check that out. Native ON seems to be the way to go....

Waldo
08-31-2005, 10:48 AM
I would have just kicked the damn thing!