PDA

View Full Version : Oops

LaveyJet
08-30-2005, 07:25 AM
Accident on the 15 in Cajon Pass Yesterday
http://extras.mnginteractive.com/live/media/site208/2005/0829/20050829_031838_082905-crash400.jpg

Havasu_Dreamin
08-30-2005, 07:29 AM
DAMN! Any idea what happened?

Redneck
08-30-2005, 07:33 AM
by guess was the guy was towing at 200 mph the boat wasnt strapped good enough and the brakes werent adjustted or he had the front boat launch trailer

coolchange
08-30-2005, 07:35 AM
Guy tagged a fire truck on the shoulder that was workin a fire.

duffster
08-30-2005, 07:38 AM
Tie downs on the back of the trailer probably could have saved the boat from kissing the truck. But it looks like the trailer came off and could be a cause. This sucks but it's all about ball size.

Miss Perfect
08-30-2005, 07:40 AM
I think I read that he injured a few firefighters. Hope they're ok! :frown:

dicudmore
08-30-2005, 07:41 AM
I saw some of the aftermath of this...what a mess

LAFD
08-30-2005, 07:43 AM
that majorly sucks. hope everyone is ok....

Mandelon
08-30-2005, 07:44 AM
I wonder if tie down would have held under such forces....

Beer-30
08-30-2005, 07:46 AM
Look farther forward than your hood ornament, people! Too late now, I guess. :hammerhea

HocusPocus
08-30-2005, 07:46 AM
if thats what happened.. then he was going to fast and not paying attention to what was going on ahead of him.
it always amazes how some people.. even those with some towing experience.. only look directly in front of them or they don't realize how wide the trailer may be. almost every trip i take i always find at least one person who is driving their truck with the trailer haning into the opposite lane.
enough preaching.. hope everyone ends up ok out of this.

Havasu_Dreamin
08-30-2005, 07:50 AM
Really!?!?!?!? How the hell does someone manage to do that!?!?!?! As was said, towing too fast and paying attention I guess. Hopefully everyone is ok.

dicudmore
08-30-2005, 07:52 AM
I wonder if tie down would have held under such forces....
my bet, NO

dicudmore
08-30-2005, 07:53 AM
Really!?!?!?!? How the hell does someone manage to do that!?!?!?! As was said, towing too fast and paying attention I guess. Hopefully everyone is ok.
I just wish I had more warning about it...
Stayed on the 15 down to the 210 rather than going the Pearblossom route and it was 2.5 hrs from Hesperia to Rancho Cucamonga :hammer2:

wanna B V
08-30-2005, 07:56 AM
tv news said driver was blinded by the smoke from the fire and ran into the fire truck. didnt look like there was any straps on the back of the boat either. too bad, nice truck and boat.

LaveyJet
08-30-2005, 07:58 AM
Paper said the driver is ok, a couple of Fire Fighters had minor injuries but are doing fine.
CAJON PASS - A crash involving a boat-towing pickup truck and a fire engine shut down Interstate 15 Sunday and injured five firefighters responding to a brush fire.
The collision occurred at 1:26 p.m. on the northbound side of the freeway at the base of the Cajon Pass. California Highway Patrol closed all north and southbound lanes of the freeway for about an hour, causing bumper-to-bumper traffic from Fontana to the High Desert into the evening.
A U.S. Forest Service firefighter, Jason Megowen, was airlifted to Arrowhead Regional Medical Center in Colton. After regaining consciousness, he appeared fine, said Forest Service spokeswoman Ruth Wenstrom. Another Forest Service firefighter, Travis Thogmartin, and three county firefighters Chad Patterson, Don Hulquist and Juan Deleon suffered minor injuries, she said. One of the county firefighters was thrown into oncoming traffic, said county fire Battalion Chief Gary Bush.
The driver of the pickup, Jack Creasy, 46, of Apple Valley was not cited. CHP is investigating what caused Creasy to broadside the Forest Service engine.
"It could have been nature,' said CHP Sgt. Fernando Contreras.
Creasy told the CHP's investigating officer, Arlene Brannon, that thick smoke had wafted across the freeway and obscured his vision.
"He didn't see the fire truck,' Brannon said. "As soon as he saw it, he hit the brakes and tried to avoid the firefighter. It was too late.'
Brannon said it was unclear if Megowen was struck by Creasy's truck or the engine after it was hit.
Creasy declined to comment.
The collision rocketed Creasy's racing boat off its trailer and onto his truck bed. His black Ford pickup appeared totaled. So did his boat, Beauty and the Beast.
The collision was the most recent example of the danger firefighters face when they respond to roadside calls. Being hit by oncoming traffic is not unusual.
"People are getting hurt all the time,' said San Bernardino County fire Battalion Chief Barry Fox. "It scares me to death.'
The firefighters had responded to three small brush fires that erupted on the east side of Interstate 15 at 1:09 p.m. The fires,

Havasu_Dreamin
08-30-2005, 08:23 AM
At least no one was seriously injured.
Three small brusfires? When driving back from Havasu on 8-21 there were two small brush fires along the 40 West. No vehicles around so I can only surmise it was some idiot who threw a lit cigarette butt out of the window. :mad: Just like the idiots that decide to throw their cigarette butts in the water while at the river/lake! :mad:

Debbolas
08-30-2005, 09:32 AM
Man, I hate to see that.............. :( glad everyone is ok