PDA

View Full Version : Orrin Boats

victorfb
08-30-2005, 09:08 AM
Last friday i had the pleasure of meeting one of our pioneers in the boat building history. his name is Harlan Orrin. it was a quik road side visit so i didnt get much info on the guy but he was towing an old early 50's mohogany boat that he had just finished restoring. a flat bottom v-drive that i believe he called a "monaco" or "monarch" something like that. he told me of some hydro's he has and has build but didnt get alot of info about those either. fortunatly he lives nearby and i plan to visit his shop soon and check out the other 12 boats he said he had there. a couple old sangers i believe aswell. that old wood boat was amazing. puts the old chriscrafts to shame really. well maybe not but still an amazing looking boat. (if your into the old stuff). if anyone has some pics and knows more about these boats id love to see em and hear what you know. Harlan is real cool old timer and i cant wait to hear some more about his attributes in the boat biz. when i figure out how to get the pics up, i will, but all i had was a film camera and no scanner at the moment.

dmontzsta
08-30-2005, 10:08 AM
Cool to run in to history like that. I had the opportunity of visiting with some great history in the sport on Saturday.

mouzer
08-30-2005, 10:24 AM
ORRIN, is a good guy, hes been to old MOuZers house several times! :cool: :cool:

victorfb
08-30-2005, 10:24 AM
yea, he spouted off alot of names that i never heard of, but he did say he was good friends with schuster, roger wieman, and his dad, and a few others i recognized. i have a feeling Harlan is well known in the biz and i look forward to learning more.

mouzer
08-30-2005, 10:29 AM
HE actually just swung by here to look at a couple of my wood deckers flats i had for sell! then i met him at elsinore and he brought out his photo albums!WOW does he do great wood work! super nice guy Too! :cool:

victorfb
08-30-2005, 10:36 AM
i didnt get to see the album, but the boat i saw was amazing. and yea your right, he seems like a way cool dude. and does some wonderful work. he is in deluz canyon about 5-10 minutes from my place so i plan to check out his shop real soon. the grandson didnt seem to know alot of his history but then again he only looked to be about 16 or so, so im betting he is just starting to get into it. hope he learns the trade and continues the legacy.

EXTREMEBOATS
08-30-2005, 12:50 PM
There are some pics over on the Ski Land site of
Avenger 99-F
Hey, what’s that circle boat doing at Ski-Land? One of Bud Meyer’s 266 cubic inch hydros. Harlan Orrin designed, built and drove the boat as a 150 with a Bud Meyers Chevy Nova engine, then as a 266 with a sbc., then at the drags with a injected gas 327. After Bud Meyer and Harlan split partnership, he formed a partnership with Pete Altman & Wayne Rexwinkle. At the first meet at Long Beach Marine Stadium, Harlan set the APBA UGH record @ 107.14 as 99-F HOMEWRECKER. breaking the APBA UNBLOWN GAS, HYDRO, AUTO ENGINE, DRAG record at the Long Beach Marine Stadium, on July 18, 1965. Also, NDBA 100 mph club. We ran for several years undefeated. Harlan Orrin
Very neat stuff. Kristina ;)