PDA

View Full Version : How did everybody do at Lake Bryan??

DeputyDawg
08-30-2005, 01:15 PM
At the last minute some family stuff popped up and I didn't get to go. How about a race update.

mrgoslow
08-30-2005, 02:39 PM
"lewd act" on the boards won his class with his 18 ft gullwing. 11 second i think

Shark In The Pond
08-30-2005, 03:17 PM
Hotter then hell :crossx:

460rogers
08-30-2005, 04:31 PM
I got a nice sunburn.

Rocket2003
08-31-2005, 12:01 AM
Wesly Ice won 1st in T/E! :D Great job Wes!!
Tony Denton got 2nd in RR! :D Way to go TD!!!!
The Baryman Bullet laid down a real nice 229 mph pass on Saterday!!!!! :hammer2:
I Won a round against one of the tuffest boats in my class (Greg Carr's "Ain't Skeard"), Then I red lit my butt on the trailer the next round! :frown: But we had a blast! Got sun burned as hell and got to see what kind of times we can expect in the 1000' for "Smokin in the Cove"!!!! :hammer2:

TexasJet
08-31-2005, 03:59 AM
Had a great time with Greaser, Black, 460Rogers just to mention a few. :smile: I saw something interesting ( aside from the many pretty women :jawdrop: ). There is a "rerun" class, I guess if you get beat in your class you can pay a fee and come back to run in what they call "rerun class". Anyway this one rerun was between a tunnel hull with a blower vs a jet ski. The tunnel hull had to give 6 or 7 seconds at the start. The jet ski took off and the tunnel hull guy was watching the jet ski timing lights and took off before his light even came on. Since he left way early he in effect lost to the jet ski. I think the jet ski ran the 1/4 in 23 sec. @ 36 MPH approximately. I'd hate to be that guy. Man, that had to be embarassing. :cry: :hammerhea

Greaser
08-31-2005, 08:41 AM
Good to hang out w/ you also TJ

sdba069
08-31-2005, 12:53 PM
It was good to see you guys, Greaser, Black, TJ, and others. Congrats to Wes on the win and Tony on the runner-up, that's as close to 2 in a row as you can get without being there. TJ, I'm already working on the project for you. Our 8 second jet was defeated in the second round of the second chance by one of the most feared jet skies ever seen. We dialed a 8.13 and the ski dialed a 16. something. My driver had a better light and caught him about 1000 feet, and never backed out. He ran a 8.08 at 128 on a 8.13 dial. I guess he's too used to running the hydro's that are 20 to 30 MPH faster than the jet in the 1/4. We spent Saturday night battoning down the hatches as a storm blew through and wreaked havoc on the easy-ups and awnings. All this while we were trying to watch the Nextel Cup race from Bristol.

DeputyDawg
08-31-2005, 05:48 PM
I guess the dude on the jetski would be in deep shit if the jet got out of shape and switched lanes huh? I have seen it happen on asphault bracket tracks. Hey Gary, sounds like your 8 second jet hauls ass. What kind of power does it have and what hardware is in that thing?
Also, were there any of the new Cheyennes there and if so how did they run?

sdba069
08-31-2005, 08:24 PM
Hey DD. Didn't see any new Cheyenne's there. A friend of mine has his California Cheyenne for sale. Very nice boat. If interested, let me know and I will get some info on it for you. The Placecraft has a blown alky 509 Chevy. has a stock 3.5 degree lake intake with shoe and rideplate. Has a Berk pump with preloader and SS impeller.It was a full fledged lake boat. I moved the steering over to the center. It ran 7.70 at Waco early this year with a 4.29 eigth mile e.t. Doesn't run big MPH, only between 128 and 135. intake opening is too small. Have to run a lot of shoe. Motor is tired and down on power right now, but hope it lives through SITC. It will be tough running 6 seconds right now, may have to back it down and run 7 seconds. I guess we could dump a little nitro in it. Ran a 6.13 up there last year and was # 23 qualifier.

sdba069
08-31-2005, 08:32 PM
I don't know why they allow them to run together when the dial ins are that far apart. They have a 2 second rule in the Lake Racer class. The fastest they can dial is 12.00 and the slowest they can dial is 14.00. Also, If I recall correctly, on a heads up race, the course is red lit 2 seconds after the light goes green, so that a boat that may have problems and doesn't leave the line on time, doesn't run through the rollers from the first boat. In the second chance races, there can be a 7 second Pro Mod against a 20 second jet ski. I do have a problem with that, and I guess I should bring it to the board's attention.

DeputyDawg
08-31-2005, 09:02 PM
Hey Gary, I don't want you to think that I was bagging on the organization for letting two boats run with dials that far apart, it just seems dangerous to me. A long time ago I saw a 4.7 sec(1/8 mile) super pro car almost run over a guy in a go kart that had dialed a 20 something seconds. The people who ran the track(you know them) had a buddy that had been playing with his kids go-cart earlier in the day and actually had the thing dialed perfect. They thought it would be funny to do a handicapped grudge race for $100 cash with the 4.70 car so they lined them up. The go-cart was almost at the finish line when the dragster took off and at about 3/4 track something happened to one of the rear brake calipers on the dragster causing it to sling the ass end side to side about five times before it got straight again and during the ass end dance it crossed the center line and almost clipped the go-cart. The go-cart won the $100 but had to spend some of it on dry cleaning!! Stupid Stunt! Ahh the good ole days.

sdba069
08-31-2005, 09:07 PM
No problem., Bo. I feel strongly that it is not safe and plan to voice my opinion to the SDBA board. They are a pretty safety conscious bunch.

Cheyenne372
09-01-2005, 04:36 PM
2-R's:
That issue has been brought to the attention of the board. You know me and bringing things to the attention of the board..... :cool:
So has the fact that a guy that is running the 10-second class (or any class for that matter) can get eliminated in the first round and then dial in a 9.00 in the second chance (if his boat will run it)...even though he might not be licensed for or able to pass tech in that class.
My thought is that you should be required to dial-in the second chance no quicker than the class you were competing in during eliminations. You could dial-in slower than that, but not quicker than that. Only makes sense because that is the class that you were teched and paid entry fee to run for the weekend.
Should have hung around for the class rep election meeting and talked about some of these things. FYI...with all of the ET Jet boats in attendance, there were only 6 that stayed for that meeting!
Hope all of the others like the new rules next year!
Oh...one more thing....don't forget to have your letter to Alex Tradd by September 15th!

sdba069
09-01-2005, 08:10 PM
Hey Gary........ I emailed John last night about what I mentioned and he assured me that they were aware of the problem and were looking for a viable solution. Didn't know about the meeting. I'm not a member anyway.

Cheyenne372
09-02-2005, 06:15 AM
2-R's:
The "viable solution" would be to enforce the rules....and if the rules were being violated, to apply the proper penalties that go with them.
As for the meeting, there was a MANDATORY ATTENDANCE drivers meeting at Bryan, followed by the election of class reps, that is ALWAYS held at the last race of the year.
Even though you are not a member, your advice, wisdom, knowledge, insight and comments are welcome!
Just remember, you didn't get all that grey hair from not paying attention along the way!.....and I am rapidly catching you!

sdba069
09-02-2005, 09:27 AM
I resemble that remark. I heard about a couple of absentees at the mandatory driver's meeting. If I understand the rules, which I may not, if a driver doesn't show then he is disqualified from the event. Then, I hear that one of the guys that didn't make the meeting won his class. So, if a role call was made and and it was known that the driver was not in attendance, then why, in the first place, was he running on Sunday? In the second place, even if he did slip in, un-noticed on Sunday, why would the class participants not throw a fit? Rules are rules, and therefore, not guidelines and should be strictly adhered to. Personally, I'd much rather piss off one guy off by kicking him out on a flagrant rule violation, than piss off the whole class by not kicking him out. But that's just me. Hey 1r, I feel your pain.

Cheyenne372
09-02-2005, 11:24 AM
Quoted by 2-R's:
"...Personally, I'd much rather piss off one guy off by kicking him out on a flagrant rule violation, than piss off the whole class by not kicking him out...."
I have a new motto. Comes from a song by Van Zant and there is a line that goes:
"I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I am not!"
Kinda fits doesn't it!

blowngas
09-02-2005, 02:46 PM
I hear that one of the guys that didn't make the meeting won his class.
that sir is correct!!!

ekimzark
09-03-2005, 04:00 PM
Photos are now online on my website http://www.dragboatphoto.com please check them out and I hope y'all enjoy!

Rocket2003
09-04-2005, 06:22 AM
I resemble that remark. I heard about a couple of absentees at the mandatory driver's meeting. If I understand the rules, which I may not, if a driver doesn't show then he is disqualified from the event.
Is that really a rule? :confused:

blowngas
09-04-2005, 08:32 AM
It was announced over the PA that all drivers attend and that it was mandatory---if you were there, then you answered the role call

blowngas
09-04-2005, 08:43 AM
the participant agrees to be bound by all of the decisions, rules, and regulations of NDBA and the sanctioning division, including, but not limited to, all provisions and procedures provided for in this rule book, and by decisions, rules, and regulations which are applicable to a specific event.
from the SDBA rule book

Rocket2003
09-04-2005, 11:00 AM
It IS a Rule in the NDBA rule book! :idea: I looked! (I learn something new Everyday!)
IMHO,, I don't think that there was enough prior NOTICE to enforce it to the LETTER of the book! :idea: But a nice little fine,, might help them remember next time!! :hammer2:
In their defence (which I don't even remember who they were) The announcement was made,, late in the day Saterday... They finished qualifing 96 boats, 3 rounds each, by 2:50pm,,,, The Drivers meeting wasn't until 5:00 (or even 5:30 if I remember right).....
It was REALLY HOT, and if you had a wife and/or kids to keep happy,, then I might have split early too! :supp:
In the 4 years I've been racing with SDBA,, I think this is one of the first times they've had a roll call!!!! :confused: Now I think it's a good idea, to make "Mandatory Driver meetings" from time to time (maybe every race) and call a roll call!!! But, that's up to the "Powers that be"!
I'm not making Excuses for them,,, Just pointing out a few things.....

sdba069
09-04-2005, 04:47 PM
Hey Mike.... Your point is valid. My point is that there is always a driver's meeting after qualifying. One of my team driver's took his father to the motel after qualifying, but asked us to be sure to call him in time to get back to the driver's meeting. He left right after qualifying, but was aware before he left that there would be a mandatory driver's meeting around 5:30. My thought is that the guys who didn't show up for the meeting, did know about it, since my driver, who left as soon as qualifing was over, knew about it before he left.

Cheyenne372
09-07-2005, 03:36 AM
Mike:
A driver's meeting IS mandatory, but roll call is not. This being the last race of the season and the time that we always have the election of class reps, which you are, roll call should be mandatory.
There was a time in racing when EVERY MEETING was mandatory and roll was called EVERY TIME....on Sunday morning! If you weren't there, guess what...your competition got a legal single to the next round!
Here is the quote from the rule book with a few words highlighted for clarification:
Drivers Meeting
A drivers meeting may be held whenever necessary. Attendance at such meetings is mandatory. Roll call may or may not be taken. If a roll call is made, any driver who is absent will automatically be eliminated from the racing program.
Guess I'm part of the "Old School" that thinks that the Rule Book is there to, as is stated in the first pages of the book, are to "...establish MINIMUM acceptable requirements..." In this case, the MAR for a driver's meeting is for drivers to be there!
Also don't think that the association needs to be babysitting anybody! All drivers got notified about drivers meetings when the paid their membership and got their rulebook.

Rocket2003
09-07-2005, 04:40 PM
Mike:
roll call should be mandatory.
Gary,, I agree with you 100%! :cool:
And,,,I NEVER miss a meeting!! :cool: Heck,,I'm always afraid that they will start 1st round with my class,,,,,, and I'll get caught with my PANTS DOWN (or not on!!!)! :2purples:
But as you said,,, I'm only a Class rep,,,and I don't enforce the rules (that's for the Board to do),, I just (Try) and follow them!!! :wink:
Maybe this is something for US to bring up to the board for next years season???? :coffeycup
Rocket

Cheyenne372
09-08-2005, 03:25 AM
Mike:
The comment you made that you are only a class rep and it is not your responsibility to enforce the rules is preposterous!
It is absolutely your job to enforce the rules!
At the meeting, I talked with the 7 jet boat drivers that stayed around about the helmet restraint issue. One of them told me on Sunday that after I talked about it, Sunday was the first time that they hooked up the front snap on their helmet!
I was also told about three (3) drivers that use one legal jacket to go through tech with and then they use another jacket when they race because they are too tight to buy a legal jacket for competition.
So do I wait for the board to enforce it or do I make sure that it is handled?