PDA

View Full Version : how much should a good balance job cost?

YeLLowBoaT
08-30-2005, 01:33 PM
I need to have my roatating assembly balanced. I am just looking to see what it should cost to have every thing wieghted and matched then have the crank be internally balanced. why I am asking is I am having a valve job done on my heads with new SS valves and I was was wondering if I can afford it get both done at the same time or wait .....

Nucking futs
08-30-2005, 01:57 PM
I pay about 125.00.

Squirtin Thunder
08-30-2005, 02:30 PM
If you request them to work the crank it will cost a bit more standard is $150. I like to keep the cranks as light as possible. I usually pay $250 after I balance the pistons and rods.
Just don't lean out !!!

Infomaniac
08-30-2005, 03:14 PM
$150.00 for a race balance. Custom crank work or Mallory metal extra.

Moneypitt
08-30-2005, 04:31 PM
Stock stuff, $90. Aftermarket stock replacement stuff, $90. Aftermarket hipo stuff, factory crank, $90. Aftermarket stuff with aftermarket crank, $90. and up, depending on time spent with the crank. (Last eagle crank balance job was $180.).......MP

Norseman
08-30-2005, 05:44 PM
Stock stuff, $90. Aftermarket stock replacement stuff, $90. Aftermarket hipo stuff, factory crank, $90. Aftermarket stuff with aftermarket crank, $90. and up, depending on time spent with the crank. (Last eagle crank balance job was $180.).......MP
MP;
Why all the extra time on the Eagle Crank????
Bob

YeLLowBoaT
08-30-2005, 06:21 PM
I knew that a$$ was giving me sh*t when he said 300

GofastRacer
08-30-2005, 06:30 PM
I knew that a$$ was giving me sh*t when he said 300
You mentioned "internally balanced", and as Info said crank work and Malory metal is extra. Malory is expensive and you have to bore the crank for the slugs, that adds up!. I haven't had a crank internally balanced (by a competant balancer)for some time now but $300 don't seem too out of line for these times!.. :confused:

Fiat48
08-30-2005, 06:50 PM
Heavy metal about $25 a stick. Usually 4 sticks to get a chevy into internal balance from external balance.
I just try to be fair on price and depends on what I have to do to get it right. Around $125 up to $500.
The internal conversion on a hardened external crank is no picnic.

GofastRacer
08-30-2005, 07:05 PM
Yep that's what I thought!..

Moneypitt
08-30-2005, 09:38 PM
The crank was "raw". Never balanced to anything, so there was a great deal of counterweight material to remove.....Most of the time, a crank has prior use. Sure its been re ground and refreshed for a different application, but the counter weights,(factory balanced), are at least close to the new bob weight. This is not always the case, but most of the stuff I deal with falls in this catagory. When using new, quality aftermarket parts my balancer loves it because the pistons are so close to each other, and the aftermarket rod sets are also usually a "matched" set. These factors all have a bearing on the cost, and as stated here to internal an external is time consuming and costly. Just about any balancer will tell you the advantages of internal far out weigh the price..........MP

Norseman
08-31-2005, 04:13 PM
The crank was "raw". Never balanced to anything, so there was a great deal of counterweight material to remove.....Most of the time, a crank has prior use. Sure its been re ground and refreshed for a different application, but the counter weights,(factory balanced), are at least close to the new bob weight. This is not always the case, but most of the stuff I deal with falls in this catagory. When using new, quality aftermarket parts my balancer loves it because the pistons are so close to each other, and the aftermarket rod sets are also usually a "matched" set. These factors all have a bearing on the cost, and as stated here to internal an external is time consuming and costly. Just about any balancer will tell you the advantages of internal far out weigh the price..........MP
MP;
That makes sense, you had a lot of time in it!!
Bob

C-2
09-01-2005, 10:23 PM
Cracking backs, blasting turkeys and turning wrenches. You're an interesting guy there Moneypitt.
How the hell you know all this stuff?