PDA

View Full Version : $4.00 Gallon Gas ?

sdpm
08-30-2005, 01:41 PM
If gas gets to $4.00 a gallon and stays there how will it affect your life? Will you sell your toys? Will you stop going to the lakes, rivers, deserts, camping? I can't carpool or take a bus to work and I doubt most realisticly many of you can't either. Do you think it would cut down on daily and weekend traffic? Would you go buy a little car that got 30mpg as your daily driver? From what I am hearing and reading this could come. I know I think about it. :frown: Do you?

riverroyal
08-30-2005, 01:43 PM
i will stop going to the river,i started doing the math at 3.50 this morning,we will spend 400 to 500 in fuel this labor day,,,how many trips a month can you do like that?

rivercrazy
08-30-2005, 01:44 PM
IT WILL HAPPEN. Demand will continue to increase.
Plus the oil companies have monopoly power and the government will not do anything to break it up. Oh yea, there are a bunch of rich oil guys in government!
The oil company's keep coming up with creative ways of decreasing supply. Records profits are the result

riverroyal
08-30-2005, 01:47 PM
desert season cost me allot less in fuel,,,cant wait

BarryMac
08-30-2005, 01:47 PM
Less trips is all for us. Sad that the boat will sit but we need to keep our elected officials that are Oilmen in their plush houses, plus the CEO's of these Oil Conglomartes wont be able to survive without there multi million dollar bonuses, I would hate too see them have to do without... :burningm: :burningm: :burningm:

Essex29
08-30-2005, 01:49 PM
I'll never stop going....I think :eek:
I'll just park it or float more :sleeping:

dicudmore
08-30-2005, 01:50 PM
I'll never stop going....I think :eek:
I'll just park it or float more :sleeping:
its only money...

riverroyal
08-30-2005, 01:50 PM
its the 600 miles round trip,,,15mpg at 4.00 a gallon,,,hmmm

Mrs. Bordsmnj
08-30-2005, 01:52 PM
desert season cost me allot less in fuel,,,cant wait
Amen to that!!! :rollside:

sintax
Hopefully I can score a sweet deal on a 3/4 ton truck. :idea:

BarryMac
Well I have one of those converter boats on top of it all, it turns fuel into thin air...

Blown Spectra
08-30-2005, 01:53 PM
its this simple
you make more money=cost of life goes up
people want to make lots and lots of moneyand want to pay 1.15 pe gal for fuel.
stop the bitching and work harder... dammm
eric<<<<---- just my 02

lucky
08-30-2005, 01:55 PM
i will just go to a cove and swim - I'm actually starting to think about alky . and a still :eek:

riverroyal
08-30-2005, 01:56 PM
;)

Blown Spectra
08-30-2005, 01:57 PM
;)
:cry:

HM
08-30-2005, 01:57 PM
IT WILL HAPPEN. Demand will continue to increase.
Plus the oil companies have monopoly power and the government will not do anything to break it up. Oh yea, there are a bunch of rich oil guys in government!
The oil company's keep coming up with creative ways of decreasing supply. Records profits are the result
I heard Bush created the Hurricane Katrina so that oil companies...his buddies, wink wink wink wink wink wink wink wink wink wink wink, could make more money and take advantage of the working man. What are we to do?
:sleeping:

2Driver
08-30-2005, 01:58 PM
I am rethinking the boat type I am about to buy and will use the lakes near my home more and pretty much bag the river. For a week at the river I can now hop to Maui via America West for the week and go surfing. Lot's of options open up.
At the end of the day it's all relative to your income and expenses. If $3,000 more a year for fuel puts you over then I guess your done. Would hate to see anyone pull back saving for retirement and kids education to fund the fuel costs. :mad:

Billy Heinlein
08-30-2005, 01:59 PM
Dammm 15 MPG I wish i got that towing more like 9 or 10

sdpm
08-30-2005, 02:00 PM
its this simple
you make more money=cost of life goes up
people want to make lots and lots of moneyand want to pay 1.15 pe gal for fuel.
stop the bitching and work harder... dammm
eric<<<<---- just my 02
Your right Eric, so I when I charge $700.00 for a start of season service on your boat or someone elses I don't want to hear no BITCHING! :D
CORRECTION: $1000.00 you can always work a little harder to afford it. Right?

riverroyal
08-30-2005, 02:00 PM
85 hours on our boat in a year,ive been to havasu i think 15 times since april,my only crying would be not going every weekend

BarryMac
08-30-2005, 02:02 PM
I heard Bush created the Hurricane Katrina so that oil companies...his buddies, wink wink wink wink wink wink wink wink wink wink wink, could make more money and take advantage of the working man. What are we to do?
Hmmm, I think all these gas price increases started well before Hurricane Katrina, she's just icing on their cake...

M&M247
08-30-2005, 02:02 PM
Seems like we need to buy a "socal bus" to carpool and then we will all be doing alot of floating at the river.

riverroyal
08-30-2005, 02:04 PM
when gas is still 3.75,im gonna leave my truck in storage with the boat,drive the wifes car,it gets like 35 mpg on the freeway

Blown Spectra
08-30-2005, 02:04 PM
Your right Eric, so I when I charge $700.00 for a start of season service on your boat or someone elses I don't want to hear no BITCHING! :D
right

Rexone
08-30-2005, 02:08 PM
Yeah and on top of that he sent in the seals to weaken all the offshore platforms prior to creation of the storm. He's such a dick.

riverroyal
08-30-2005, 02:10 PM
ive never towed the boat home,in storage at the lake!,,only tow my 5th wheel twice,take it out,bring it home

Billy Heinlein
08-30-2005, 02:11 PM
ive never towed the boat home,in storage at the lake!,,only tow my 5th wheel twice,take it out,bring it home
Dammm I knew I was doing something wrong

Rexone
08-30-2005, 02:11 PM
Seriously, the way I see it the guys that got the cash to go will continue to go.
But the guy that was on the edge of affording it at $2 a gallon will have no choice but to cut back or change professions and make more $ to give to the oil co's. Or take out a HELOC for gas money. :frown:

Havasu_Dreamin
08-30-2005, 02:12 PM
I'll park the suburban, my current daily driver, out at the LHC pad and buy a more fuel efficient car for teh daily commute and trips to the lake.

riverroyal
08-30-2005, 02:13 PM
trailer cost 300 for a spot,full hook ups,for 6 months,boat storage is 175,,if we go 2 times a month we are money ahead,no towing,no motels,no house rentals etc,plus i can leave late friday not towing,i can get there alot fast with less stress,it works well,,,,if you never go then forget it

Dribble
08-30-2005, 02:17 PM
IT WILL HAPPEN. Oh yea, there are a bunch of rich oil guys in government!
Are you saying that if there weren't a bunch of rich oil guys in government that gas would be $1.55 a gallon even when world crude prices are 68.00 a barrel???

Blown Spectra
08-30-2005, 02:18 PM
Seriously, the way I see it the guys that got the cash to go will continue to go.
But the guy that was on the edge of affording it at $2 a gallon will have no choice but to cut back or change professions and make more $ to give to the oil co's. Or take out a HELOC for gas money. :frown:
or have Newport Lending do the refi on your home, put you in a better refi program,
refi home,
pay off HELOC/2nd mortgage,
some home inprovement,
have vacation/river money,
stop the complaining
SMILE!!!!!! :wink:
Eric

Blown Spectra
08-30-2005, 02:19 PM
just buy one of these to go to work.... (http://www.commutercars.com/)

JB in so cal
08-30-2005, 02:22 PM
I drove by a station last night at 9:00; regular was 2.76. Just went there to fill up; 2.85!

riverroyal
08-30-2005, 02:24 PM
tonite,,,i need a 55 gallon drum to fill for the boat!

Liberator TJ1984
08-30-2005, 02:25 PM
I think it's great :devil:
I work for a Major player in Oil production , the more they make ,the more I Make :p and more for the 401 etc. etc..
But all B>S aside it does need to stay at a RESONABLE Level :idea:

JB in so cal
08-30-2005, 02:26 PM
tonite,,,i need a 55 gallon drum to fill for the boat!
Just wait. DO it at the pump by the store at BML. SHould only be about 12.00/gallon.

prosthogod
A couple of points:
1-less boats on the water in havasu wouldn't bother me at all.
2-hopefully they are all wakeboard boats
3-gas prices and saleries are relative. If my hobbies cost more, then I will need to get it from someone else.

riverroyal
very proud of ya,,,,,ha,just kiddin,at least someone here is making money off it

Mrs. casean
08-30-2005, 02:29 PM
But all B>S aside it does need to stay at a RESONABLE Level :idea:
YES IT DOES! It's getting out of control for the little people to afford it! :rolleyes: The hubby commutes 90 miles a day... it's killing us! We thought about buying another boat, yeah right! There's no way we can afford to use it once we bought it w/ these prices... and it's only going to get worse which was already mentioned. And ditto about desert season coming up! A little cheaper on our pockets! Pfew!

lucky
08-30-2005, 02:29 PM
hey rex , do you still have your speed ski whacker ? i still love that boat -- :D what type of consumption did you get ( shhhh make it sound real good and up the asking price ) lol :coffeycup

Mrs. casean
08-30-2005, 02:30 PM
2-hopefully they are all wakeboard boats
Hell yeah!

lucky
08-30-2005, 02:31 PM
i'm leaving my blown 468 in for looks and hooking up a 5hp briggs and stratton to the prop shaft :yuk: and i should still be able to take jimmy anderson

Mrs. 4-B
08-30-2005, 02:34 PM
I'll park the suburban, my current daily driver, out at the LHC pad and buy a more fuel efficient car for teh daily commute and trips to the lake.
This is what we talked about doing too. Just that I need something big enough for my dogs to have a somewhat comfortable commute to the river house (2-85 pounders). Considering the money for a third car and the extra insurance, not sure if its worth it. May be just as much as the extra fuel for my Yukon XL. :squiggle:

Liberator TJ1984
Your correct there Rexone , But we boat a little different here :rolleyes: so it's not that big of deal....
for most around here it is anywhere from 2 - 10 miles from the lake or river...most boats hold 10-20 gals. of gas ...launch,haul butt to favorite spot, drink a few hanging out ,ski -tube a little, maybe load up zip over to another hangout spot , etc...etc...a few Ski-Nautiqes and mostly lake Rods , I can run on 20 gals gas pretty much all day .....No Scarabs or DCB's around here :)
if we had to fill one of those dogs up we would ALL have to pitch in :cry:

rivercrazy
I didn't say that. But supply is being manupulated by the big oil companies and our government is doing nothing about it. Because the politicians have more personal gain this way.
Actually the government is also to blame by further restricting supply.
Big oil is making criminal levels of profit but not reinvesting it into new refining plants. But the exec's sure are enjoying themselves at the expense of the lower middle class

Havasu_Dreamin
08-30-2005, 02:36 PM
Considering the money for a third car and the extra insurance, not sure if its worth it. May be just as much as the extra fuel for my Yukon XL. :squiggle:
Yeah, I would need to run the numbers on it to see if it is justifiable. Have not seriously considered it......yet. But as the gas prices get closer to $3 a gallon at Costco, then I'll have to seriously look into it.

cdog
08-30-2005, 02:39 PM
There will be a backlash. Eventually the economy will stumble as they pull the final straw. Untill then I'll use my 5% cash back card and put in my order for a bio diesel still as soon as I get a new diesel HD. It's not the gas in the boat that bothers me it's the cost to tow out there that I don't enjoy paying. I need to find some storage out there.

crf311
08-30-2005, 02:39 PM
If gas gets to $4.00 a gallon and stays there how will it affect your life? Will you sell your toys? Will you stop going to the lakes, rivers, deserts, camping? I can't carpool or take a bus to work and I doubt most realisticly many of you can't either. Do you think it would cut down on daily and weekend traffic? Would you go buy a little car that got 30mpg as your daily driver? From what I am hearing and reading this could come. I know I think about it. :frown: Do you?
I will gladly pay any price if I could have my house and every thing I lost in the hurrican back.. Right now there is 10' of water in the parish Ilive in. I heard a torndo hit in my neighbor hood taking everything. So quit Whinning.

Havasu_Dreamin
08-30-2005, 02:40 PM
Big oil is making criminal levels of profit but not reinvesting it into new refining plants. But the exec's sure are enjoying themselves at the expense of the lower middle class
I'll bitch about the high gas prices as much as the next person, but since when was making a profit criminal? Also, from what I understand, the supply of oil is not what the real problem is, it's the lack of refining capacity. Now who is to blame for that? Bush? I don't think so. Blame that one on all of the hippie liberals and NIMBY peeps that don't want to see new refineries built. The government, local, state and federal, have made it virtually impossible to build new refineries. Are the oil companies taking advantage of the situation, an arguement can certainly made to support that theory. But it needs to be proven.

Rexone
08-30-2005, 02:40 PM
hey rex , do you still have your speed ski whacker ? i still love that boat -- :D what type of consumption did you get ( shhhh make it sound real good and up the asking price ) lol :coffeycup
Yes Lucky still have, it only uses 2 gallons a day regardless of how far you go, special price for you only, 55K. :)

Havasu_Dreamin
08-30-2005, 02:41 PM
I need to find some storage out there.
That shouldn't be too hard, seems like there are hundreds of new storage units being built out there.

cdog
08-30-2005, 02:44 PM
That shouldn't be too hard, seems like there are hundreds of new storage units being built out there.
Does anyone have the Tele # to the indoor storage in Erihnburg? There are a couple of them as you head thru town.

riverroyal
08-30-2005, 02:45 PM
i may come home that way next monday,if yoy still need numbers let me know by then

rivercrazy
08-30-2005, 02:46 PM
There are provisions in current law that prohibit monopolies. Call big oil what you will but they enjoy monopoly power and practice price manipulation. That is also illegal.
Don't get me wrong I'm a red blooded american the believes in free enterprise and the laws of fundamental economic theory. But what is going on with oil is out of the box

Havasu_Dreamin
08-30-2005, 02:46 PM
Does anyone have the Tele # to the indoor storage in Erihnburg? There are a couple of them as you head thru town.
From Yahoo. Don't know if they are boat storage places though
* Ehrenberg Self Storage
(928) 923-8029
48150 Ehrenberg-Poston Rd
Ehrenberg, AZ
* River View Storage
(928) 923-7867
49253 Parker Poston Hwy
Ehrenberg, AZ

2Driver
08-30-2005, 02:47 PM
Why did God put our oil in such screwed up places anyway? :rollside: :rollside:

cdog
08-30-2005, 02:47 PM
i may come home that way next monday,if yoy still need numbers let me know by then
I'll be out there on friday morning. The pain in the ass is that my verizon cell phone does not work at the place we are stayin at.

sdpm
08-30-2005, 03:01 PM
I will gladly pay any price if I could have my house and every thing I lost in the hurrican back.. Right now there is 10' of water in the parish Ilive in. I heard a torndo hit in my neighbor hood taking everything. So quit Whinning.
I'm not whinning, just asking a question?

Eliminator 4 Life
08-30-2005, 03:27 PM
I think Ill buy a vespa :D

Dribble
08-30-2005, 03:28 PM
I didn't say that. But supply is being manupulated by the big oil companies and our government is doing nothing about it. Because the politicians have more personal gain this way.
Actually the government is also to blame by further restricting supply.
Why then were we able to buy gas at $1.15 a gallon a few years ago when the world price of crude was $23.00. Would the oil companies have made even bigger profits by charging more?
Answer yes, except one problem. Competition. The major companies had too much gasoline. They sold the excess to the independents who in turn sold it cheap. Driving down the price. The independents are now paying big dollars for gasoline on the open market.
This is not as simple as the politicians are causing it etc. Or George Bush and his buddies need to get richer because they can't get by on what they have.
This is more like a perfect storm of OPEC (read Saudi Arabia) limiting production keeping the cost of crude high. An increased world demand. Envronmental regulations limiting new refineries. And oil companies (which are largely owned by shareholders) doing what any business should do. Maximizing profits.

Throttle
08-30-2005, 03:35 PM
Dammm 15 MPG I wish i got that towing more like 9 or 10
he said 15 you say 9 or 10. I get 11 on the average, maybe I should drop below 90mph.
Definatley sucks having the prices come up so high! Just gonna have to float a bit more, I guess. Work "More Overtime"!
Who in their right mind is gonna want to buy any of our toys at the price of gas? (big scare). :2purples:

riverroyal
08-30-2005, 03:38 PM
diesel,no lift,stock tires,only way to go,,cruise control at 75ish

Billy Heinlein
08-30-2005, 03:41 PM
he said 15 you say 9 or 10. I get 11 on the average, maybe I should drop below 90mph.
Definatley sucks having the prices come up so high! Just gonna have to float a bit more, I guess. Work "More Overtime"!
Who in their right mind is gonna want to buy any of our toys at the price of gas? (big scare). :2purples:
Well there is a sucker on every corner, good old Keith at Conquest talked me into sell my sleek and getting one of his new Boss Cat II on Saturday, and did not even get a kiss or anything. :frown:

spectras only
08-30-2005, 04:06 PM
I'll pretend that I'm broken down and have a free ride here and there :rollside:
http://www3.telus.net/spectrasonly/Img_8559.jpg

bchbum
08-30-2005, 04:48 PM
We sold our river boat (jet boat ) , as we were only making 3-4 trips a year . Will be looking for a bigger one that will go into the ocean ( 6 miles away ) . It wasn't gas prices , just family things that kept us away . A larger boat will save us 600 miles a trip & give us more boating time .

riverroyal
08-30-2005, 04:49 PM
sometimes i kinda wonder why i drive 600 miles in a weekend,its just so fun :D

bchbum
08-30-2005, 05:03 PM
I would drive it in a heart beat but , We have both girls in comp. dance. I swear this is a full time job for them . It's practice , or a show , or a comp.
We told them they can do this till it's not fun anymore for them .

riverroyal
08-30-2005, 05:10 PM
but the ocean in the back yard is hard to pass up

ECeptor
08-30-2005, 06:17 PM
I think there is a (federal?) law against something called price gouging.
If a lumbar yard sells plywood for $200/sheet due to high demand due to a hurricane, it's illegal. If the gas monopolies raise their prices due to the hurricane it's called free market. Please explain to me the difference aside from the fact our current administration make millions off the oil industry.

ECeptor
08-30-2005, 06:25 PM
This is more like a perfect storm of OPEC (read Saudi Arabia) limiting production keeping the cost of crude high.
If that is truly the case then I'd like to see my tax dollars go toward B2 jet fuel to deliver some "presents" to the leaders of OPEC. Why are we dicking around with Afganistan and Iraq when these other countries are getting filthy rich at the expense of every singe American!
Oh, one more thing - screw the wildlife and start drilling in Alaska! Seriously, I've been to Europe enough to know I don't want to live in a +$4/gal society!

Blown 472
08-30-2005, 06:39 PM
There are provisions in current law that prohibit monopolies. Call big oil what you will but they enjoy monopoly power and practice price manipulation. That is also illegal.
Don't get me wrong I'm a red blooded american the believes in free enterprise and the laws of fundamental economic theory. But what is going on with oil is out of the box
Well you had to expect that putting an oil man in office now didn'tcha??? :confused:

77charger
08-30-2005, 06:44 PM
prices are getting higher and higher not what i want to see.At 2.60 a gallon i am struggling to go play.working overtime to do so and saving when i can.After 3.00a gallon dune trips will cut to 2 for the year and boating will be local with only one long trip a year thats it.Toys are paid for and i dont plan on selling them.Thats just the way it will have to be.I have plenty of other hobbies that i havent done much of in the last 2 years.