PDA

View Full Version : marine motor in a truck???

wrenchdaddy
08-30-2005, 03:06 PM
what Im trying to find out is if a marine engine (454 BBC, forged bottom end, ported and polished heads, and some REALLY nice other stuff,etc, etc) could run in a car without any negative consequences. I've heard that a marine motor is built with larger tolerances, would that effect anything in a car? It has Childs and Albert gapless moly rings if that has anything to do wth it. Im thinking of putting it in my 72' chevy pickup, i know gas sucks but I don't really care.

Sleek-Jet
08-30-2005, 05:32 PM
I've got a marine motor in my Cutlass... runs pretty good too. :D

wrenchdaddy
08-30-2005, 06:25 PM
IS there any difference in performance or reliabilty/life of the engine if its built for marine use or not?

Sleek26
08-30-2005, 08:23 PM
Assuming we're not talking about all out marine racing engines, lets look at the issues.
Marine engines are built to run at 5500RPM or so for extended amounts of time.
This means that you had better use quality pieces/parts when you build them.
It also demands quailty machine work and first class assembly knowledge and techniques.
Typically these motors are built to be torque monsters.
I believe those are the qualities I would look for in a good STREET motor.
That's just my humble opinion though.

wrenchdaddy
08-31-2005, 03:52 AM
Thats exactly the answer i was looking for, thanks sleek

victorfb
08-31-2005, 08:45 AM
the cam is about the biggest factor. the marine cam normally starts its power curve higher in the rpm range. you may want to change the cam for more of a street/rv cam, or change the torque converter to have a higher stall speed.

Squirtin Thunder
08-31-2005, 08:50 AM
Well I am putting a Truck engine in my boat, but changing the cam.

victorfb
08-31-2005, 09:08 AM
jim, your bass ackwards. lol ok, i have to admit, i put my truck motor in my boat too. :) but this guy wants to do the opposite.

Squirtin Thunder
08-31-2005, 10:42 AM
jim, your bass ackwards. lol ok, i have to admit, i put my truck motor in my boat too. :) but this guy wants to do the opposite.
I was just agreeing on the cam thing !!!

victorfb
08-31-2005, 11:17 AM
yea i know jim, just funnin with ya. we are both bass ackwards when it comes to this thread. he is doing the opposite.

Sleek26
08-31-2005, 03:13 PM
Face it, if any of us had any sense we wouldn't devote 90% of what brain matter we have to playing with boats.
Then again, what kind of life would that be?????????

wrenchdaddy
10-11-2005, 07:07 PM
whats the difference between a marine motor and a regular street motor? If I run 20w 50 in my boat motor and then I put it in my truck, do I run the same oil or like a 10w 30? its a 454 chevy, all the nice stuff, gapless moly rings, forged pistons, rods, crank, ported and polished heads, etc, 550+hp. Will it have a lot of blowby? What are the upsides and downsides?

ECeptor
10-12-2005, 05:09 AM
For me, it would depend greatly on how I was going to use the truck. If it was a daily driver/tow rig like my current a high rpm boat engine might feel like a dog and drink fuel. If it's a hotrod or custom that you just play with, it might be just right.
Think about the amount of time in your truck you spend over 3,000rpm - very little for me. Then think about the time you spend below 3,000rpm in your boat - very little for me.
So, for a tow rig/daily driver I think a hot marine 454 would suck - large heads, single plane intake, big cam all make for a weak and inefficient low rpm performance. What heads are on your engine? If they are rectangular port you could switch to large oval port topped with a dual plane intake and an RV cam for good truck performance.

wrenchdaddy
10-12-2005, 08:49 AM
It has ported and polished oval heads with a dual plane intake right now, lol. Its just one of those things that if I drop that motor in my truck I know it will be serioulsy fast, you don't see an old truck with a beefed up big block on the road very much anymore, I like the attention and the ability to blow the doors off all these new cars that people spend so much money on.

H2OT TIMES
10-12-2005, 02:56 PM
I wouldn't set my sight too high or bet too much on the first few races if I were you. I don't doubt your truck will run real nicebut, The new Chargers & Mustangs are running 13 second quarter miles bone stock. Put a cold air intake, good free flowing exhaust and replace or reprogram the chip and those puppies will get after it. Have Fun.