PDA

View Full Version : Be nice now

Kim Hanson
08-30-2005, 03:20 PM
I have a question on my rudder, why does it turn hard left and just slightly right..There must be a reason for this ..........( . )( . ).......................... :D

Roman 1
08-30-2005, 03:29 PM
I have a question on my rudder, why does it turn hard left and just slightly right..There must be a reason for this ..........( . )( . ).......................... :D
Because your left handed. All those years "jerkin the gerkin" has made ol lefty quite the powerhouse.
Roman won! :D

Kim Hanson
08-30-2005, 03:32 PM
Because your left handed. All those years "jerkin the gerkin" has made ol lefty quite the powerhouse.
Roman won! :D
Im right handed and the wife takes care of that stuff, now you still never answered the question Roman?
Roman Lost in Space again..............( . )( . )..............I will go take some fing pictures maybe that will help you guys out :D

dmontzsta
08-30-2005, 03:37 PM
Has it always done this?
Do you run off the snout?

Kim Hanson
08-30-2005, 03:41 PM
Turns left really hard..........( . )( . )........... :eek: This is all the way left
http://www2.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/72HPIM0989.JPG

Kim Hanson
08-30-2005, 03:42 PM
This is all the way right.......( . )( . ).......... :confused:
http://www2.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/72HPIM0990.JPG

dmontzsta
08-30-2005, 03:43 PM
hmmm...I would check your cables, make sure they are not binding anywhere.
Also, loose that wedge rudder and get a trailing, you will turn much better.

O.B eddie
08-30-2005, 03:49 PM
aaHHHAAAAAAA lmFao, LMFAO LMFAO LMFAO BWWWAAAAHHHHH are you fricking KIDDING me, LMFAO LMFAO, Oh god I am crying from laughter!! What in the hell, or how in the hell did that thing win JUNKYARD WARS!! Kim I must say that boat is the only thing UGLIER THAN YOU!! Holy sh*t HEE HAWW :D

O.B eddie
08-30-2005, 03:51 PM
aaHHHAAAAAAA lmFao, LMFAO LMFAO LMFAO BWWWAAAAHHHHH are you fricking KIDDING me, LMFAO LMFAO, Oh god I am crying from laughter!! What in the hell, or how in the hell did that thing win JUNKYARD WARS!! Kim I must say that boat is the only thing UGLIER THAN YOU!! Holy sh*t HEE HAWW :D
Please post some more this is the funniest stuff I have seen in a long time!! HEE Haww :D

Kim Hanson
08-30-2005, 03:52 PM
hmmm...I would check your cables, make sure they are not binding anywhere.
Also, loose that wedge rudder and get a trailing, you will turn much better.
I have looked at all the cables and chains, they all look tight and work smooth and as for turning faster, sheet Donald I don't have a whirlaway and all I have to do is let off at 70 and its instant back the other way :jawdrop: I was thinking does circle racing just go left all the time :idea: Counter clock wise action?.........( . )( . )......Im just asking a nice question guys..please :D

Kim Hanson
08-30-2005, 03:55 PM
Please post some more this is the funniest stuff I have seen in a long time!! HEE Haww :D
Im really trying to be nice here you fing queer, go stand in front of your bo and get him to take some pictures and you can laugh forever........( . )( . )........ :D stupid gueer ! :D

Monkey Bung
08-30-2005, 04:16 PM
Looks to me like the quadrant moved.

Kim Hanson
08-30-2005, 04:21 PM
Looks to me like the quadrant moved.
Whats that Bung..........( . )( . )...........I had to tighten up the plate acros the top of the rudder shaft after the last time to the Lake it started to sqeal when turning it, it was really loose and fixed that all up and it turn smooth and easy. It has never turned hard right and I just thought I would ask you guys if anyone heard of this crap before............thanks :smile:

dmontzsta
08-30-2005, 04:22 PM
Kim, My boat goes full right and full left. Look under the dash is the chain equal to the cable? I have never experience this, has it always been like this?

Monkey Bung
08-30-2005, 04:28 PM
Whats that Bung..........( . )( . )...........I had to tighten up the plate acros the top of the rudder shaft after the last time to the Lake it started to sqeal when turning it, it was really loose and fixed that all up and it turn smooth and easy. It has never turned hard right and I just thought I would ask you guys if anyone heard of this crap before............thanks :smile:
The quadrant is the piece that is on the rudder itself that the cables attach to. It should have a woodruff key holding it centered. I would take it all apart and make sure it did not move. You should be getting a whole lot more right turn and less left turn.

superdave013
08-30-2005, 04:29 PM
OK Kim, put the rudder in the middle and take a look at the chain under the dash and eyeball the quadrant (located in the rudder shaft). Move the steering all the way to the left and eyeball things again. Move rudder all the way to the right and repete.
You should be able to tell what's off by doing that.
Quadrant could have slipped, and if that's off take it all apart to scope out the key that holds it to the rudder.
The chain that goes around the sprocket on your steering shaft could be off.
Or a turnbuckle could be hitting a pully when turned to the right.
Just a few things to get you started.
You really should take a good look at everything because someone didn't put something together right. If it come apart you will go for a swim so scope it out really close.

coolchange
08-30-2005, 04:32 PM
Your quadrant has moved per MB. Or you have jumped the chain at the steering shaft. When the rudder is straight you should have and equal amount of chain on both sides. In any case you should do some serious checkin before you put someones eye out!

Kim Hanson
The quadrant is the piece that is on the rudder itself that the cables attach to. It should have a woodruff key holding it centered. I would take it all apart and make sure it did not move. You should be getting a whole lot more right turn and less left turn.
I will go look at that Bung, thanks.............( . )( . ).......... :cool:

coolchange
Damn I type slow

Kim Hanson
08-30-2005, 04:41 PM
OK Kim, put the rudder in the middle and take a look at the chain under the dash and eyeball the quadrant (located in the rudder shaft). Move the steering all the way to the left and eyeball things again. Move rudder all the way to the right and repete.
You should be able to tell what's off by doing that.
Quadrant could have slipped, and if that's off take it all apart to scope out the key that holds it to the rudder.
The chain that goes around the sprocket on your steering shaft could be off.
Or a turnbuckle could be hitting a pully when turned to the right.
Just a few things to get you started.
You really should take a good look at everything because someone didn't put something together right. If it come apart you will go for a swim so scope it out really close.
When its centered, its about 12" on the bottom and maybe 8" on the top. Nothing is binding anywhere either.........( . )( . ).......when it moves to the right it stops on the pulley though, when the clamp holding the cable together hits it...I feel so stupid right now, how do chains slip off sprockets?

Kim Hanson
08-30-2005, 04:45 PM
Damn I type slow
You have a boat that looks tits though :D ...........( . )( . )......... :cool:

Jetboatguru
08-30-2005, 04:45 PM
I will go look at the Bung, thanks.............( . )( . ).......... :cool:
Is this classic Hanson or what!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Kindsvater Flat
08-30-2005, 04:46 PM
When its centered, its about 12" on the bottom and maybe 8" on the top. Nothing is binding anywhere either.........( . )( . ).......I feel so stupid right now, how do chains slip off sprockets?
Loose cables will cause the chain to jump.

coolchange
08-30-2005, 04:49 PM
You still haven't solved the problem. When the rudder is straight is the quadrant in a straight position, not favoring on side? If so then go to steering shaft. Maybe the chain didn't jump but the sprocket slipped on the shaft? At any rate its time for an overhaul. Didn't someone just post a thread bout gettin wet or hurt when a link let go?

Kim Hanson
08-30-2005, 04:50 PM
Is this classic Hanson or what!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Im just asking a question Tony, do you have a clue whats wrong with it? It still rips hard just don't turn good right to go pick up the wet tubers that I was pulling...........( . )( . )............ :confused: I will send you a donut if you're be nice to me :p j/k :D :D Oh, yeah you just drive those Race Boats :p

Rexone
08-30-2005, 04:53 PM
I will go look at the Bung, thanks.............( . )( . ).......... :cool:
Sorry Kim rotflmao on that one :D
Good advice listed, use it... :)
Rudder should be turning equally on each side from straight center.

Jetboatguru
08-30-2005, 04:58 PM
Kim, everything these guys have told you is golden. I think they have covered every avenue. Now put down the Labatts, tie your mullet/ponytail up pull up your underwear, wash your hands and go do what they are telling you. :notam:

Rexone
08-30-2005, 05:00 PM
Kim, everything these guys have told you is golden. I think they have covered every avenue. Now put down the Labatts, tie your mullet/ponytail up pull up your underwear, wash your hands and go do what they are telling you. :notam:
Tony you're way ahead of him here, he's still looking for the bung. Patience.

Jetboatguru
08-30-2005, 05:01 PM
:D :D
Careful Mike, he gets a little ruffled when he asks a serious question. :mad:

Kim Hanson
08-30-2005, 05:07 PM
You still haven't solved the problem. When the rudder is straight is the quadrant in a straight position, not favoring on side? If so then go to steering shaft. Maybe the chain didn't jump but the sprocket slipped on the shaft? At any rate its time for an overhaul. Didn't someone just post a thread bout gettin wet or hurt when a link let go?
You still haven't solved the problem. When the rudder is straight is the quadrant in a straight position, not favoring on side?
Yes, it is straight!
At any rate its time for an overhaul. If it jumped the chain would the steering wheel be all screwed up , mine looks like a tee when straight........( . )( . )...........

Kim Hanson
08-30-2005, 05:12 PM
Sorry Kim rotflmao on that one :D
Good advice listed, use it... :)
Rudder should be turning equally on each side from straight center.
I missed some letters :p whoopty do........( . )( . ).......isn't the bung the back end on one of these warshing machines........ :p

Kim Hanson
08-30-2005, 05:15 PM
I think my cables are loose :D ..........( . )( . )...........

Kim Hanson
08-30-2005, 05:17 PM
Do you guys make a mockery of everything?.............( . )( . )........

Kim Hanson
08-30-2005, 05:19 PM
:D :D
Careful Mike, he gets a little ruffled when he asks a serious question. :mad:
I do not.........( . )( . ).......so back away from the puter and shut up ! :p ...........

Jordy
08-30-2005, 05:21 PM
Now put down the Labatts, tie your mullet/ponytail up pull up your underwear, wash your hands and go do what they are telling you. :notam:
But put some different shorts on before you go try and destroy your tub. It would suck to have a boat that doesn't turn and a wife that's pissed off because you f'ed up her favorite pair of shorts. :D :D :D

Jetboatguru
08-30-2005, 05:22 PM
Come on Kim. Just having fun!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
at yer expense

Kim Hanson
08-30-2005, 05:23 PM
But put some different shorts on before you go try and destroy your tub. It would suck to have a boat that doesn't turn and a wife that's pissed off because you f'ed up her favorite pair of shorts. :D :D :D
Later .........( . )( . )............. :cry: :p

dmontzsta
08-30-2005, 07:43 PM
Im just asking a question Tony, do you have a clue whats wrong with it? It still rips hard just don't turn good right to go pick up the wet tubers that I was pulling...........( . )( . )............ :confused: I will send you a donut if you're be nice to me :p j/k :D :D Oh, yeah you just drive those Race Boats :p
I thought yours was a "marlin race boat"? :D
BTW: You dont need to turn right anyways. :cool:

ColeTR2
08-30-2005, 07:55 PM
Kim, take pictures under the deck of all the steering cables chain pulleys and everything in the back rudder quadrant stuffing box. And post them so we can see what is going on. Sounds like something is failing. . I would not neglect this!!

GofastRacer
08-30-2005, 08:23 PM
Damn I don't know if I should reply to this, I'm liable to get bashed into Iraq or some fkn place, but shezzz steering equipment ain't nothing to joke about I would think, at least it ain't in my boat!.. :confused:

dmontzsta
08-30-2005, 08:26 PM
Damn I don't know if I should reply to this, I'm liable to get bashed into Iraq or some fkn place, but shezzz steering equipment ain't nothing to joke about I would think, at least it ain't in my boat!.. :confused:
Art, its ok...its a racing boat according to Kim, it only turns left. :2purples:
Kim, did you use the triangular piece chopped out of your cav plates for skegs? :)

ColeTR2
08-30-2005, 09:06 PM
steering equipment ain't nothing to joke about
I will second that!!

Rexone
08-31-2005, 12:12 AM
Do you guys make a mockery of everything?.............( . )( . )........
So you feel you don't deserve a little funnin huh?
http://www2.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/732hanson-snow.jpg
Maybe you got an iceberg blocking one side of the quadrant Kim... :D
Good idea above post some pics of the hardware so we can help you out better. ... :)
(brush the snow off prior to pics please)

Squirtin Thunder
08-31-2005, 12:20 AM
Good idea above post some pics of the hardware so we can help you out better. ... :)
Holly Shit Kim what the **** are you thinkin leaving it out like that ???? Those Damn chevys can't take the cold like you Canadians. That thing should at least have a block heater on it and a bag over the scoop !!!!

Rexone
08-31-2005, 12:39 AM
Holly Shit Kim what the **** are you thinkin leaving it out like that ???? Those Damn chevys can't take the cold like you Canadians. That thing should at least have a block heater on it and a bag over the scoop !!!!
Jim someone told him he had a really cool boat and he took it a little too seriously.

Boy Named Sue
08-31-2005, 12:41 AM
That's funny shitt. I remember this guy I worked with had a Pinto he thought was bad asss. Carburetor sticking out through a hole in the hood. One day it was raining pitchforks and babies and he laid a shop rag over the intakes to keep the water out. Clock out, turn it over, crunch, bam, crap the oil all over the street. Trust me when I say no one laughed. Yeah, right, ha ha!
Good times!

repo man
08-31-2005, 12:39 PM
this same thing just happened to my brothers boat, turns out that the cable sliped through the thing that locks it to the quadrant.

dmontzsta
08-31-2005, 12:45 PM
If he would have got up to move the boat, his beer would have gotten warm.
:idea:

lucky
08-31-2005, 01:10 PM
hey kimmy can you snap some pics - ( of the inside ) with your rudder locked out to either position - - be nice to kim could be his life , lets not discourage him - just give him shit after he fixes it ! :D I would also like to mention to have some safty collars on your rudder - just in case it don't :D
kimmy take alot of pic if you can -- so we might see whats happening !
ps all you shpinker lappers - can give me all the shit you want ) and i know you will :) :coffeycup :D

Kim Hanson
08-31-2005, 01:54 PM
I thought yours was a "marlin race boat"? :D
BTW: You dont need to turn right anyways. :cool:
It is so there Donald.........( . )( . )......I use it for the Lake alot also, they pull tubes really good :cool:

dmontzsta
08-31-2005, 01:55 PM
It is so there Donald.........( . )( . )......I use it for the Lake alot also, they pull tubes really good :cool:
Didnt you say it sinks pretty fast too? :D

Kim Hanson
08-31-2005, 01:57 PM
Close to that though.......( . )( . )........... :D

dossangers
08-31-2005, 01:57 PM
Somethings wrong here Is HANSON trying to be SERIOUS or is he Lonely??? :( :(

Kim Hanson
08-31-2005, 02:01 PM
I don't think I could kill a Dodge engine Jim.........its covered up also, that a Canadian Igloo garage , think of it as hibernating :p ........( . )( . ).......

Kim Hanson
08-31-2005, 02:05 PM
Didnt you say it sinks pretty fast too? :D
I made a splash shield for the back now and she won't sink again..........( . )( . )....... :cool:
http://www2.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/72HPIM0983.JPG

Kim Hanson
08-31-2005, 02:09 PM
Somethings wrong here Is HANSON trying to be SERIOUS or is he Lonely??? :( :(
I fixed it, it was the attwood automatic bilge pump switch it was so close to the one side it would hit and stop, I took it out and it works great now all the way to the left and all the way to the right. Thanks all for the help and yes Art I will check all the pulleys and cables..Chain also :cool: ........( . )( . )........Lonely...thanks for the laugh Dos :p

dmontzsta
08-31-2005, 02:17 PM
I made a splash shield for the back now and she won't sink again..........( . )( . )....... :cool:
http://www2.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/72HPIM0983.JPG
Nice! Was that metal a piece of someones roof in the trailer park?

Kim Hanson
08-31-2005, 02:31 PM
I went and got a piece of tin from a shop here in town and made it, polishing isn't one of the things that I like to do but its got a shine from the polishing I did to it so far and if it don't get better, I can take him this piece and he can make me one out of Stainless :notam: ...........( . )( . ).........I don't have a store close to me where you can just go buy them Donald, so you make them up yourself. :D If it stops the water from coming in over the back of the boat cool by me then......... :p

Rexone
08-31-2005, 03:50 PM
This is the first time I recall anyone fixing the steering travel with a bilge pump switch. Glad you got er done.
Post the pics up anyway. Not that I don't trust you or anything. :rollside: Lets just have a look-see anyway at your steering hardware to make sure you're race ready. :)

Kim Hanson
08-31-2005, 05:25 PM
This is the first time I recall anyone fixing the steering travel with a bilge pump switch. Glad you got er done.
Post the pics up anyway. Not that I don't trust you or anything. :rollside: Lets just have a look-see anyway at your steering hardware to make sure you're race ready. :)
It was right beside it, don't understand that chit.........( . )( . ).....you can see where the quad is hitting it...... :notam:
http://www2.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/72HPIM0993.JPG

Kim Hanson
08-31-2005, 05:27 PM
:notam:
http://www2.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/72HPIM0994.JPG

Kim Hanson
08-31-2005, 05:30 PM
:notam:
http://www2.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/72HPIM0995.JPG.........( . )( . )..........

Kim Hanson
08-31-2005, 05:31 PM
http://www2.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/72HPIM0995.JPG........( . )( . )...........

Kim Hanson
08-31-2005, 05:33 PM
Last one.........( . )( . )...........its smooth to both sides :cool:
http://www2.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/72HPIM0997.JPG

Rexone
08-31-2005, 05:55 PM
http://www2.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/72HPIM0995.JPG........( . )( . )...........
Kim as a safety addition I recommend you add the following:
Where the cable passes under the little plate on top of the quadrant that's held on by the 2 allens... Take a short piece of cable and run it over the top of that plate, between the 2 bolts. Then put a cable clamp on each side, clamping the steering cable to the short piece. This insures the cable will not slip in the quadrant. I have the pieces to do this and they're cheap. The cable will slip if those bolts get the least bit loose and occasionally when they're not loose. Either way not a good thing.
Also inspect your cable closely where it comes out around the side of the quadrant (point of sharpest bend). This is where it will fail. If there are any broken strands it is time to replace the cable.
See, just info, no giving you shit :D

Kim Hanson
08-31-2005, 06:08 PM
Kim as a safety addition I recommend you add the following:
Where the cable passes under the little plate on top of the quadrant that's held on by the 2 allens... Take a short piece of cable and run it over the top of that plate, between the 2 bolts. Then put a cable clamp on each side, clamping the steering cable to the short piece. This insures the cable will not slip in the quadrant. I have the pieces to do this and they're cheap. The cable will slip if those bolts get the least bit loose and occasionally when they're not loose. Either way not a good thing.
Also inspect your cable closely where it comes out around the side of the quadrant (point of sharpest bend). This is where it will fail. If there are any broken strands it is time to replace the cable.
See, just info, no giving you shit :D
Im the slow one now right :D , why not just put a small cable clamp on each side and it wouldn't move at all...This is the front steering cables :( and it freaked me out, they should be tight no?........( . )( . ).........
It sure looks old under here :(
http://www2.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/72HPIM0992.JPG

Kim Hanson
08-31-2005, 06:13 PM
Gas pedal sure works good though :D ...........( . )( . ).............

V-DRIVE VIDEO
08-31-2005, 06:15 PM
Check out the Caselli quadrant on that thing! :cool: :cool:

Rexone
08-31-2005, 06:18 PM
Im the slow one now right :D , why not just put a small cable clamp on each side and it wouldn't move at all...This is the front steering cables :( and it freaked me out, they should be tight no?........( . )( . ).........
It sure looks old under here :(
http://www2.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/72HPIM0992.JPG
Because the clamps are designed to clamp 2 cables together much better than just clamping onto one.
Yes they should be tight. If you don't know the correct feel a good rule of thumb is tighten them up till the steering wheel starts getting stiff then back off just to the point it feels free. There should be no sagging anywhere going down the stringers.

Kim Hanson
08-31-2005, 06:22 PM
Check out the Caselli quadrant on that thing! :cool: :cool:
Check what? It looks good and works great now, what do I check for now :notam: ..........( . )( . )...........

Rexone
08-31-2005, 06:22 PM
Also, and this is important, you should be looped through at least the second link on that chain, not the end like it is now. That end link post comes out and you are on your head.
I use 2 clamps at all connect points too. Clamps are cheap. And like anything mechanical they can come loose. I like backup when it comes to steering.
You can buy those clamps at any good elec supply store. They are copper. Do not use brass (soft). They also make stainless ones but not for electrical.

V-DRIVE VIDEO
08-31-2005, 06:23 PM
Because the clamps are designed to clamp 2 cables together much better than just clamping onto one.
Yes they should be tight. If you don't know the correct feel a good rule of thumb is tighten them up till the steering wheel starts getting stiff then back off just to the point it feels free. There should be no sagging anywhere going down the stringers.
Or if your Guru tighten the shit out of it. :D

V-DRIVE VIDEO
08-31-2005, 06:24 PM
Check what? It looks good and works great now, what do I check for now :notam: ..........( . )( . )...........
I was saying thats a caselli quadrant...very cool! :cool:

Rexone
08-31-2005, 06:30 PM
shit don't tell him that Jerry he's gonna go out and pack ice around it now!

Kim Hanson
08-31-2005, 06:33 PM
Im really familar with that cable crap working the rigs that I work on Mike and all you would have to do is double it up and cased. Now the steering part has me confused, why not have the steering wheel straight and pull on the loose end of the cables to tighten it up :confused: They are not even near the stringer either Mike............( . )( . ).............

Kim Hanson
08-31-2005, 06:39 PM
Also, and this is important, you should be looped through at least the second link on that chain, not the end like it is now. That end link post comes out and you are on your head.
I use 2 clamps at all connect points too. Clamps are cheap. And like anything mechanical they can come loose. I like backup when it comes to steering.
You can buy those clamps at any good elec supply store. They are copper. Do not use brass (soft). They also make stainless ones but not for electrical.
I have thought about 2 clamps also , thanks Mike and Im going for the electrical ones focker :wink: ........( . )( . )..........

Kim Hanson
08-31-2005, 06:43 PM
I don't know what cool is with these boats and here I am asking for it again, old boat and still rips hard, shit beat a 502chevy JetTunnel in the 1/4 ..2 weeks ago :cool: ....( . )( . )........

Rexone
08-31-2005, 06:43 PM
Post some pics of your steering pulleys Kim as there are different styles. There should be one or two turnbuckles in the cable if you have inside stringer pulleys. There should be a rear tensioning pulley if you have outside the stringer pulleys.
This looks like a good candidate for the WTF did he just say thread... :confused:
you would have to do is double it up and cased.
Put down the Labatts and concentrate, this is important shit here... :D

Kim Hanson
08-31-2005, 06:55 PM
Shit no, my cooler is in the front..I even put in beercan holders in this thing :D ..........( . )( . ).............. :D Stereo is the next day I get off :D

Kim Hanson
08-31-2005, 07:00 PM
Post some pics of your steering pulleys Kim as there are different styles. There should be one or two turnbuckles in the cable if you have inside stringer pulleys. There should be a rear tensioning pulley if you have outside the stringer pulleys.
This looks like a good candidate for the WTF did he just say thread... :confused:
Put down the Labatts and concentrate, this is important shit here... :D
Mine runs outside the stringers and they don't have nothing but cables and pulleys Mike, nothing looks like it any type of tensioner attached to it, got something else :D ........( . )( . ).........

Rexone
08-31-2005, 08:18 PM
Mine runs outside the stringers and they don't have nothing but cables and pulleys Mike, nothing looks like it any type of tensioner attached to it, got something else :D ........( . )( . ).........
If you have no tensioner then you need to have at least one of the turnbuckles pictured inside the cable picture (the long thing) below...
http://www.rexmar.com/images/page140.jpg

GofastRacer
08-31-2005, 08:39 PM
You have to have either a tentioner setup at the back or a turnbuckle by the chain to tighten it up!..When you're rudder is centered, is the quadrant centered??, and if they are both ends of the chain should be together :2purples: . That's some scary shit the way the chain is clamped!..

lucky
09-01-2005, 05:44 AM
lmao that shit was funny mike ... good job helping "kim snow job hansen " :wink:

superdave013
09-01-2005, 05:58 AM
I don't know what cool is with these boats and here I am asking for it again, old boat and still rips hard, shit beat a 502chevy JetTunnel in the 1/4 ..2 weeks ago :cool: ....( . )( . )........
Kim, he's saying that because back in the day Ray Caselli made lots of hardware for the v drives. And he drove Panic Mouse, a Top Fuel Flatbottom. He's a hero to any Hondo fan or pretty much anyone that was into drag boats back in the day.
He got killed racing so we all get a kick out of seeing his hardware pop up from time to time.

Kim Hanson
09-01-2005, 02:09 PM
If you have no tensioner then you need to have at least one of the turnbuckles pictured inside the cable picture (the long thing) below...
http://www.rexmar.com/images/page140.jpg
I will get one and Mike how much are those Billet Pullys sets :cool: I need some of those..........( . )( . ).......

dmontzsta
09-01-2005, 02:23 PM
I think they are like $430 Kim, they are definately bitchen, I have had my eye on them as well.

Kim Hanson
09-01-2005, 02:40 PM
You have to have either a tentioner setup at the back or a turnbuckle by the chain to tighten it up!..When you're rudder is centered, is the quadrant centered??, and if they are both ends of the chain should be together :2purples: . That's some scary shit the way the chain is clamped!..
It has this on the front for a pulley :D
http://www2.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/72HPIM1005.JPG
This is the tentioner on the back I guess :D I will fix the steering cables also Art, calm down now :D :D
http://www2.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/72HPIM1007.JPG
This stuff looks it was taken off Noahs Ark for christ sakes, Mikey help a bud out :D

Kim Hanson
09-01-2005, 02:44 PM
Kim, he's saying that because back in the day Ray Caselli made lots of hardware for the v drives. And he drove Panic Mouse, a Top Fuel Flatbottom. He's a hero to any Hondo fan or pretty much anyone that was into drag boats back in the day.
He got killed racing so we all get a kick out of seeing his hardware pop up from time to time.
Well thats good to hear I have one piece of history on this boat thats :cool: .........( . )( . )...........:D

Kim Hanson
09-01-2005, 02:46 PM
I think they are like $430 Kim, they are definately bitchen, I have had my eye on them as well.
I need some for next summer, those are tits.........( . )( . )........... :cool:

dmontzsta
09-01-2005, 03:04 PM
Those Hall Crafts are a dime a doze, I have a few laying around somewhere.
That plywood on top of the stringer is still looking nice.

Rexone
09-01-2005, 04:09 PM
Kim that rear pulley is the tensioning pulley. You crank the bolt out to tighten the cables and crank it in to loosen.

Kim Hanson
09-01-2005, 04:32 PM
Kim that rear pulley is the tensioning pulley. You crank the bolt out to tighten the cables and crank it in to loosen.
The front is so loose that I think I will try to get them a little tighter and then use the back pulley to snug it up :cool: What about those Billet Pulleys Mikey..How much $$$$$$ and how long would it take to get here?.......( . )( . )............

Jetboatguru
09-01-2005, 04:53 PM
Kim is steppin up!

Bt273
09-01-2005, 05:03 PM
Have you ever thought of cleaning that thing? those cables and pulleys look to be in a bad state,better start with new, and a can of degreaser, then post some photos. :idea:

Kim Hanson
09-01-2005, 05:41 PM
Have you ever thought of cleaning that thing? those cables and pulleys look to be in a bad state,better start with new, and a can of degreaser, then post some photos. :idea:
The back 2' is sort of black compared to the front, that is like this.........( . )( . ).........I have beer holders also :p I was playing with the wiring cause a CD Player is next to be installed in it.
http://www2.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/72HPIM1002.JPG

Monkey Bung
09-01-2005, 07:44 PM
HANSON......What the f%ck. You leave your boat out in the snow and think all is well??? No disrespect intended, but you have to have a little respect for your own equipment.

Bt273
09-01-2005, 07:47 PM
It has this on the front for a pulley :D
http://www2.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/72HPIM1005.JPG
This is the tentioner on the back I guess :D I will fix the steering cables also Art, calm down now :D :D
http://www2.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/72HPIM1007.JPG
This stuff looks it was taken off Noahs Ark for christ sakes, Mikey help a bud out :D
Kim,I have that front pulley, and tensioner rear pulley set-up brand new,never bolted on,if interested,for a a steal of a price!

Kim Hanson
09-02-2005, 07:17 PM
HANSON......What the f%ck. You leave your boat out in the snow and think all is well??? No disrespect intended, but you have to have a little respect for your own equipment.
I am trying to, that is why I want it to live now! It runs good , it doesn't let me down even after pulling tubes for 6 hrs straight :jawdrop: I just need some eye candy stuff put on her now and a nice tribal or old school flame job and some better seats........( . )( . ).......... :cool:

Kim Hanson
09-02-2005, 07:19 PM
Kim,I have that front pulley, and tensioner rear pulley set-up brand new,never bolted on,if interested,for a a steal of a price!
I really want the billet, but anyways how much?..........( . )( . )........ :D

dmontzsta
09-02-2005, 08:20 PM
Hanson you said the floor is black? is the wood rotten?
Also a beer holder? WTF? you drink and drive? CD player? geez Hanson, your turning that thing into a mullet mobile.

Kim Hanson
09-02-2005, 08:50 PM
Hanson you said the floor is black? is the wood rotten?
Also a beer holder? WTF? you drink and drive? CD player? geez Hanson, your turning that thing into a mullet mobile.
The floor isn't rotten Donald, just looks black like the insides of the boat on each side!
I have 2 coffee cup holders in her and no Donald, I drive and drink :D On the beach .
I like very loud music and I have room for 2 -12" subs and more speakers than I can find place's to hide them at............( . )( . )............ :D

Rexone
09-02-2005, 09:02 PM
The front is so loose that I think I will try to get them a little tighter and then use the back pulley to snug it up :cool: What about those Billet Pulleys Mikey..How much $$$$$$ and how long would it take to get here?.......( . )( . )............
About $400 US, shouldn't take long just let me know. :)
Glad to see you are enjoying your boat finally Kim. Maybe an old tarp or cowhide over her this next winter? :D

Kindsvater Flat
09-02-2005, 09:05 PM
Glad to see you are enjoying your boat finally Kim. Maybe an old tarp or cowhide over her this next winter? :D
Thats like 800 canatard right?

Kim Hanson
09-02-2005, 09:18 PM
I will Mikey and you know that really aren't that bad, once you get use to it...( . )( . ).......It's in the garage this year early :D , before the snow........ :p

dmontzsta
09-02-2005, 09:19 PM
The floor isn't rotten Donald, just looks black like the insides of the boat on each side!
I have 2 coffee cup holders in her and no Donald, I drive and drink :D On the beach .
I like very loud music and I have room for 2 -12" subs and more speakers than I can find place's to hide them at............( . )( . )............ :D
This is the best post all year!

Kim Hanson
09-02-2005, 09:25 PM
Im not going to explain it to you Donald, time for :sleeping: :sleeping: ...........( . )( . )............ :D

Monkey Bung
09-02-2005, 10:58 PM
:confused:

Kim Hanson
09-03-2005, 06:45 PM
Okay Donald, here we go.... :D The boat is all natural wood on the inside right from the front to the back of the engine and then its black...straight line right across the boat black! Where it starts to curve up it has this same black ( looks like painted fiberglass to me )!
The cup holders are used, it sure don't sit much floating on the beach and I need fluid on the water son! :D
Why not a stereo that kicks ass? They will hear the pumping being pulled on the tubes along with the exhaust.........( . )( . )........... :idea:

Kim Hanson
09-06-2005, 01:28 PM
Okay , Mike and Art...how is this looking? I put on clamps with extra wire rope and it works smooth and looks safe to me :)
http://www2.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/72HPIM1010.JPG

Kim Hanson
09-06-2005, 01:30 PM
Now for Art, how does this look now.......( . )( . ).......... :D
http://www2.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/72HPIM1011.JPG

Kim Hanson
09-06-2005, 01:34 PM
I moved it forward one link on the chains also, maybe you are right :D ........( . )( . )..........Working under the dash on this boat sucks, you guys take yoga or something? I felt like a prezel at times :D

Monkey Bung
09-06-2005, 02:06 PM
The two clamps by the eye are kernys. Those are for terminating wire conections. Replace them with crosbys.

Boy Named Sue
09-06-2005, 02:09 PM
Monkey,
He used the wrong clamp but he put them on the right way. ;)

Kim Hanson
09-06-2005, 02:13 PM
The two clamps by the eye are kernys. Those are for terminating wire conections. Replace them with crosbys.
The ones that were on it were wrong from the get go :confused: First clamps to the chain ?........( . )( . )...........

Boy Named Sue
09-06-2005, 02:30 PM
The ones that were on it were wrong from the get go :confused: First clamps to the chain ?........( . )( . )...........
Bung is saying the copper clamps are for electrical use, the ones with the U bolts are correct. You never want to use copper or brass on steel especially where it might get wet because you will get electrolysis and the steel will corrode away.

Monkey Bung
09-06-2005, 02:47 PM
:wink:

Kim Hanson
09-06-2005, 03:47 PM
Bung is saying the copper clamps are for electrical use, the ones with the U bolts are correct. You never want to use copper or brass on steel especially where it might get wet because you will get electrolysis and the steel will corrode away.
Great, I have to go back in there and change them 2 out :( I will do it in the pm, enough yoga for one day.........( . )( . ).......... :wink:

INEEDAV
09-06-2005, 04:05 PM
Thats like 800 canatard right?
Man I wish there dollar was still there, won't be long its going to invert. Last time there was like $1.28 to $1. Used to be like $1.55 to $1.
Made the lap dances from the french girls a lot more affordable. :devil:

Lookin for Liquid
09-07-2005, 01:45 PM
Just my .02, We have never used anything else besides copper split bolts due to their clamping ability. The hardware store 1/4" U bolts that are carbon steel and galvanized plated, which doesn't help their strength to begin with, could be twisted in two with a 3/8" ratchet. I have never seen Stainless Steel cable corrode from electrolysis or any other form of corrosive chemical reaction, much less rust. We do wrap the split bolts with electrical tape to clean up the look but would not trust anything else to do this job. Not trying to stir s##t, like I said my .02

Schiada76
09-07-2005, 02:10 PM
Mine are chrome plated. Can they be purchased that way?

O.B eddie
09-07-2005, 02:32 PM
Just my .02, We have never used anything else besides copper split bolts due to their clamping ability. The hardware store 1/4" U bolts that are carbon steel and galvanized plated, which doesn't help their strength to begin with, could be twisted in two with a 3/8" ratchet. I have never seen Stainless Steel cable corrode from electrolysis or any other form of corrosive chemical reaction, much less rust. We do wrap the split bolts with electrical tape to clean up the look but would not trust anything else to do this job. Not trying to stir s##t, like I said my .02
Not tryin to stir either but "L for L" those copper clamps were designed for electrical wire not I.W.R.C rope stainless or not.... Although they may work I would not use them on anything other than electrical wire! If the cable clamps you purchased were of a somewhat low quality phone a rigging supply store in your area and purchase the correct clamp's CROSBY is the mfg. with a very reputable name.And contrary to popular beleif there is a certain way to install these!!! Just my 02. Hee Haww :shift:

Lookin for Liquid
09-07-2005, 02:56 PM
Not tryin to stir either but "L for L" those copper clamps were designed for electrical wire not I.W.R.C rope stainless or not.... Although they may work I would not use them on anything other than electrical wire! If the cable clamps you purchased were of a somewhat low quality phone a rigging supply store in your area and purchase the correct clamp's CROSBY is the mfg. with a very reputable name.And contrary to popular beleif there is a certain way to install these!!! Just my 02. Hee Haww :shift:
Very good point as absolutely the best place to obtain cable clamps is a rigging supply store. I was only comparing galvinized crap clamps to split bolts and their clamping ability from the picture. I am familiar with the rigging stores as having done special effects with the studios, on the other hand a whole lot more people are familiar with Home Depot. If you want to tell Hanson he needs to go to a rigging supply house in Canada, go ahead.

O.B eddie
09-07-2005, 03:38 PM
Very good point as absolutely the best place to obtain cable clamps is a rigging supply store. I was only comparing galvinized crap clamps to split bolts and their clamping ability from the picture. I am familiar with the rigging stores as having done special effects with the studios, on the other hand a whole lot more people are familiar with Home Depot. If you want to tell Hanson he needs to go to a rigging supply house in Canada, go ahead.
I do not know if one exists up there, they still power there automobiles with foot power YAABBADABBA DOOOO hee haww :)

Lookin for Liquid
09-07-2005, 04:05 PM
I do not know if one exists up there, they still power there automobiles with foot power YAABBADABBA DOOOO hee haww :)
And judging by his addiction to internet porn, I wonder if they have live porn as well, besides elk. j/k Kim, Thanks for all the wonderfulllllll ( . ) ( . ) pics

Boy Named Sue
09-07-2005, 05:18 PM
I knew someone would call me on that. Stainless won't corrode. Steel will though. I couldn't tell if Kim had stainless cable or not, I hope so. I'd still spend the $2.50 for the Crosby wire rope clamps and rest assured it was done right and not worry about it anymore.
Never saddle a dead horse O.B but feel free to flog them anytime!

ColeTR2
09-07-2005, 05:26 PM
I will add .02 to this a now you have .04. I use the copper ones :)

Rexone
09-07-2005, 05:34 PM
We've used them for about 25 years now too with no issues whatsoever unlike many u-clamps I've seen over that same period. They're strong and don't twist apart like steel or even stainless. You can apply trememdous clamping pressure with these. Many renowned riggers use them as well.
My addl .02.

GofastRacer
09-07-2005, 06:06 PM
My first boat back in the early 70's had the copper ones and just about every boat I've seen had them and I still use them and will continue to use them. In my worthless opinion you can't get a better clamp for this purpose!.. Safety first!..

GofastRacer
09-07-2005, 06:13 PM
If your rudder is straight at this time, that is why you can't move the rudder equally to both sides, you don't have enough travel on the upper part of the chain, both ends of the chain need to be equal when the rudder is straight!..

Lookin for Liquid
09-07-2005, 06:24 PM
I knew someone would call me on that. Stainless won't corrode. Steel will though. I couldn't tell if Kim had stainless cable or not, I hope so. I'd still spend the $2.50 for the Crosby wire rope clamps and rest assured it was done right.
I have never known anyone in the last 30 years put a steel cable in a boat for steering. I think we can take a look at Kim's installation and assume it has probably seen some hard winter months without rust on the cable and come to a conclusion it just might be Stainless. If you look at my post #122, I do agree with the rigging clamps and you can use whatever you want. My point on a public forum is to try to supply information that I have learned and what has worked for most and is available to most so they can do it safely, effectivly and not worry about it, in addition spending hours looking for it at a rigging store, thats all.

Kim Hanson
09-07-2005, 06:45 PM
And judging by his addiction to internet porn, I wonder if they have live porn as well, besides elk. j/k Kim, Thanks for all the wonderfulllllll ( . ) ( . ) pics
Thats a hobby Liquid and glad you like them, I sure do like looking for them :D I will just add another wire rope clamp to it than and just leave that other bad one on also. On a rig ( Service Rig ) like I work on we use lots of these clamps to hold up monkeyboard and the rod board and they hold alot of weight ( they are alot bigger than these tiny ones ) Ii have never had them fail ever and I have been rigging for along time now 25+ years...Thanks for being nice and answering my question guys, it sure is better than getting the run around :cool: ........( . )( . ).........

dmontzsta
09-07-2005, 06:48 PM
Kim, in all seriousness. I am glad to see you posting this stuff and getting help to do it RIGHT!

Kim Hanson
09-07-2005, 06:52 PM
I knew someone would call me on that. Stainless won't corrode. Steel will though. I couldn't tell if Kim had stainless cable or not, I hope so. I'd still spend the $2.50 for the Crosby wire rope clamps and rest assured it was done right and not worry about it anymore.
Never saddle a dead horse O.B but feel free to flog them anytime!
Ob Eddie the flogger, he step down farther that ManHatten Queer now :eek: .......( . )( . )............I will change out the entire cable system this winter and new pulleys also. Rudder, gas tanks, all bushing and put on a new prop. I don't want to take someone for a spin and die in it now would I :D You should have heard Marcy when I raced this 502 Chevy JetBoat, 1/4 mile smoke him and then she was screaming so loud you could hear her over the exhaust..( LOUD )......... :p

Kim Hanson
09-07-2005, 07:02 PM
If your rudder is straight at this time, that is why you can't move the rudder equally to both sides, you don't have enough travel on the upper part of the chain, both ends of the chain need to be equal when the rudder is straight!..
I just went and checked again , this is all the way left :D
http://www2.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/72HPIM1012.JPG
This is all the way right..........( . )( . ).............
http://www2.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/72HPIM1013.JPG

Kim Hanson
09-07-2005, 07:06 PM
Kim, in all seriousness. I am glad to see you posting this stuff and getting help to do it RIGHT!
I asked serious before and left it the way it was and then when I can't make heads or tails on something I ask whats wrong, I may be stubborn and bull headed but even I need help with stuff I don't know about-----v-drives :D I will not look like the same boat next Spring after I get done with it this Winter........( . )( . ).............. :eek:

GofastRacer
09-07-2005, 07:48 PM
I just went and checked again , this is all the way left :D
http://www2.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/72HPIM1012.JPG
This is all the way right..........( . )( . ).............
http://www2.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/72HPIM1013.JPG
Well looks like you have equal travel so everything works!..

Kim Hanson
09-07-2005, 08:10 PM
Okay Art, since I have your attention right now! Those plug holes..do they really need that square box around them? Those things are ugly and I was thinking of just getting rid of them and just using the same plugs in it! My OB doesn't use nothing but the fiberglass holes and it solid tight with water..from getting in it.........( . )( . )..........Would it be better to have a water pick-up at the cavatitaion plate, rather than on the prop ( holder ) i don't know what you call it :( ?

Kim Hanson
09-07-2005, 08:12 PM
Is that a strut?.........( . )( . )...........

Rexone
09-07-2005, 08:14 PM
I will not look like the same boat next Spring after I get done with it this Winter........( . )( . ).............. :eek:
I have no doubt about that... :D

GofastRacer
09-07-2005, 08:21 PM
Okay Art, since I have your attention right now! Those plug holes..do they really need that square box around them? Those things are ugly and I was thinking of just getting rid of them and just using the same plugs in it! My OB doesn't use nothing but the fiberglass holes and it solid tight with water..from getting in it.........( . )( . )..........Would it be better to have a water pick-up at the cavatitaion plate, rather than on the prop ( holder ) i don't know what you call it :( ?
From the pic they look like J drains(flapper) that are fked up and need to be replaced???.. Those work great especially if you take in a bunch of water over the top, you just go along just under plane and the water will drain outomatically!.. If your pickup works now with no problems just use it, no sense in changing stuff around for no reason, save the money for needed stuff!.. Yes it is the strut!

Kim Hanson
09-07-2005, 08:28 PM
I have no doubt about that... :D
I will take the training wheels off, those would be the ski's :D .........( . )( . )...........

Kim Hanson
09-07-2005, 08:48 PM
From the pic they look like J drains(flapper) that are fked up and need to be replaced???.. Those work great especially if you take in a bunch of water over the top, you just go along just under plane and the water will drain outomatically!.. If your pickup works now with no problems just use it, no sense in changing stuff around for no reason, save the money for needed stuff!.. Yes it is the strut!
Those are the same thing then as the plugs on those River Racers, this guy had plugs in them and I just added new ones and thought I had it cased with water in the boat. Why can't I take those totally out and just use 3 screw in plugs..that eliminates 12 holes in the back that really shouldn't be back there.
If your pickup works now with no problems just use it, no sense in changing stuff around for no reason, save the money for needed stuff!
This Ducky guy told me when I bought it , that it would screw up the water flow hitting the prop ( cups out right in front of the prop on both sides )
How hard is it to change bushings on struts and ( new one Art..sorry ) Isn't there a way to check for oil in the case of off the drive shaft? Mine has water and thats it, after seeing the cables for steering it made me think about it :frown: .........( . )( . )........
I can PM you my # if it would be faster Art, I have a few more questions though :D Lots and lots :2purples:

GofastRacer
09-07-2005, 09:02 PM
Those are the same thing then as the plugs on those River Racers, this guy had plugs in them and I just added new ones and thought I had it cased with water in the boat. Why can't I take those totally out and just use 3 screw in plugs..that eliminates 12 holes in the back that really shouldn't be back there.
All the circle racers use them(I wouldn't be without them), makes it easy to retrieve a boat after it flips but you can use whatever you want!!..
This Ducky guy told me when I bought it , that it would screw up the water flow hitting the prop ( cups out right in front of the prop on both sides )
Well it's possible depending where it's at???..
How hard is it to change bushings on struts and ( new one Art..sorry ) Isn't there a way to check for oil in the case of off the drive shaft? Mine has water and thats it, after seeing the cables for steering it made me think about it :frown:
Cut them out with a hacksaw blade and use a piece of threaded rod with washers and a couple of nuts and pull them in, make sure you draw a line down the center before you cut it and then line the marks up!..
PM me your questions and I'll try and answer them for ya!..

Kim Hanson
09-07-2005, 09:14 PM
All the circle racers use them(I wouldn't be without them), makes it easy to retrieve a boat after it flips but you can use whatever you want!!..
Well it's possible depending where it's at???..
Cut them out with a hacksaw blade and use a piece of threaded rod with washers and a couple of nuts and pull them in, make sure you draw a line down the center before you cut it and then line the marks up!..
PM me your questions and I'll try and answer them for ya!..
Okay, I will ask those guys at Eagle Racing about those squirt plugs things...I will get back to you, work in 6hrs...Thanks Art for your time, I have more to ask just focking tired after 14hrs of work........( . )( . ).......... :(

Boy Named Sue
09-08-2005, 09:43 PM
We've used them for about 25 years now too with no issues whatsoever unlike many u-clamps I've seen over that same period. They're strong and don't twist apart like steel or even stainless. You can apply trememdous clamping pressure with these. Many renowned riggers use them as well.
My addl .02.
In all due respect, are you f'ing kidding me? Copper is stronger than steel? Those clamps are designed for an electrical compression union, not for a union under tension (shear). Granted, the shear exerted by your rudder is not tremendous, why not use the proper hardware designed for clamping wire rope? Those riggers would be renowned because they were laughed off the job and blackballed. If the clamps are being twisted or deformed its because you're making them too tight Magilla! It's only 1\4" rope killer, snugged up is good enough. I'm sure lots of types of clamps and squeezing goodies will work great to hold that union, but only one is the proper union, and most likely the cheapest (and designed for that purpose).
Now to the fella that said he's never seen anyone use steel wire rope for steering. I've never seen anyone use copper kearney clamps on wire rope and when I did how could I know the same guy wouldn't use steel cable on a marine application? I can't since he's already using the wrong hardware for the job. If you can argue against this equation - Proper hardware = Job well done - and show me Kearney clamp manufacturer's recommending they be used for wire rope unions in marine applications then I will never speak on a technical level here again. Like I ever do.
Suey's two bits.
Possibly my longest post ever. :D

Rexone
09-09-2005, 12:47 AM
I didn't say copper was stronger than steel. I said they don't twist apart like steel or stainless. The small u-clamps designed for 3/16 (std steering size) wire rope don't take alot of torque without breaking (small diameter threads). The Crosbys are rated at 90 inch pounds in the size that fits 3/16 cable. The corresponding Copper clamp is 165 inch pounds. It's a much larger thread diameter and clamping surface which makes it stronger than the corresponding steel u-clamp for the same size cable. I'm sure the Crosby's work great but not everyone has em or even knows they should. Most go to home depot or equiv., it's human nature.
Many things are used successfully in industry and in racing that don't conform to their original design purpose. That doesn't necessarily mean their all inferior when used in alternative use. Some can be but not a given. A cast block of a Chevy big block was never designed by the factory to stand up to 1200 hp either but they do it.
Considering that most u-clamps people buy aren't of Crosby's quality from the local hardware store etc, the copper are a great inexpensive alternative that don't break (the hardware store ones do). As said above we know they work well in this application and are probably way overkill in terms of clamping force necessary. Personally I like overkill. Thats why I use 2 at every connection.
In 25 years I have yet to see or hear of one breaking or failing in thousands sold, unlike the cheepo corresponding u-clamps from the hardware store. I know "their not designed for that use" but they work really well.
12 ga. dove loads weren't designed to kill badguys either. But they work really well. :)

Boy Named Sue
09-09-2005, 12:55 AM
I didn't say copper was stronger than steel. I said they don't twist apart like steel or stainless. The small u-clamps designed for 3/16 (std steering size) wire rope don't take alot of torque without breaking (small diameter threads). The Crosbys are rated at 90 inch pounds in the size that fits 3/16 cable. The corresponding Copper clamp is 165 inch pounds. It's a much larger thread diameter and clamping surface which makes it stronger than the corresponding steel u-clamp for the same size cable. I'm sure the Crosby's work great but not everyone has em or even knows they should. Most go to home depot or equiv., it's human nature.
Many things are used successfully in industry and in racing that don't conform to their original design purpose. That doesn't necessarily mean their all inferior when used in alternative use. Some can be but not a given. A cast block of a Chevy big block was never designed by the factory to stand up to 1200 hp either but they do it.
Considering that most u-clamps people buy aren't of Crosby's quality from the local hardware store etc, the copper are a great inexpensive alternative that don't break (the hardware store ones do). As said above we know they work well in this application and are probably way overkill in terms of clamping force necessary. Personally I like overkill. Thats why I use 2 at every connection.
In 25 years I have yet to see or hear of one breaking or failing in thousands sold, unlike the cheepo corresponding u-clamps from the hardware store. I know "their not designed for that use" but they work really well.
12 ga. dove loads weren't designed to kill badguys either. But they work really well. :)
Blah Blah Blah Mike if you read both posts we agree at some point. No? Mike you are talking inch pounds. Magilla said with a 3/8 drive you could twist the U bolt. No shit! Over tightened you hairy knuckled gorilla. You could deliver more than 165 inch pounds with a 3/8 drive on the copper ELECTRICAL clamp to a fizzuck it up. The point is, both will work in this application but the correct clamp is the Crosby if a Sasquatch does not over tighten it. If you have no idea how much you should crush that poor little 3/16" stainless wire rope then by all means use a copper electrical fitting and everyone will know there is a Home Depot in the Moreno Valley.
Kidding aside we really just wanted y'all to know if you are going to use clamps to dead end a wire rope when you are lifting a load... ie a motor, a hull, what ever, don't use those nifty copper clamps as they might strip and pull through and your load will kiss the ground faster than Frenchie on a hound.

Rexone
09-09-2005, 01:02 AM
Blah Blah Blah Mike if you read both posts we agree at some point. No?
ok whatever you say sueeeeeey :)

Boy Named Sue
09-09-2005, 01:22 AM
ok whatever you say sueeeeeey :)
I'm glad you agree with me :rollside:

Jordy
09-09-2005, 07:21 AM
your load will kiss the ground faster than Frenchie on a hound.
That's funny right there. :D :D :D

lucky
09-09-2005, 09:27 AM
any thing over 800 hp in a stock chevy block is pushing the envelope , as they wills start to walk the main caps .. , so i have been told ..

Rexone
09-09-2005, 12:21 PM
any thing over 800 hp in a stock chevy block is pushing the envelope , as they wills start to walk the main caps .. , so i have been told ..
I guess my turbo motor's 1140 hp wills are walkin my main caps pretty good then... ;)
(I propose we start a Lucky, wtf did he just say thread) :)
Just attach some copper cable clamps to the wills and the main caps will never move an iouta

Lookin for Liquid
09-09-2005, 02:39 PM
Just attach some copper cable clamps to the wills and the main caps will never move an iouta
Mike, you really need to learn boat stuff if you are going to make a business out of what you have. Please do not tell anyone anymore to use those copper clamps for any thing other than what they are designed for. I am sure you will agree with me as it has offended .0001 % of the boating population.
Signing off
"Hairy Knuckled Gorilla aka Sasquatch"

Rexone
09-09-2005, 04:10 PM
Dan you should try a little nair mixed with your agent orange hand cleaner. :)

Squirtin Thunder
09-09-2005, 04:20 PM
BTW - Did Kimmy ever fix her problem ???

Lookin for Liquid
09-09-2005, 04:25 PM
Dan you should try a little nair mixed with your agent orange hand cleaner. :)
Mike, Ive tried everything from Stripeaze, Crosby razor blades to Caustic alfalfa sprout juice. What is really bad is when I get a case of crabs on my hands from ....... Not real pretty combing your hands with that little comb they supply. Will try the nair thing, thanks for the info, hope it works better than copper split bolts on steering cable.

Kim Hanson
09-09-2005, 05:39 PM
BTW - Did Kimmy ever fix her problem ???
Well ya, good as new again..........( . )( . )..... :D

Squirtin Thunder
09-09-2005, 06:10 PM
Just checkin little lady !!!

SUI-CY-COLE DIMARCO
09-09-2005, 06:17 PM
good as new?????????????????????????????.......flats dont come with cup holders do they???.. :idea:

Kim Hanson
09-09-2005, 06:54 PM
Just checkin little lady !!!
I don't break them everytime I go out Jim...........( . )( . ).......... :p

Kim Hanson
09-09-2005, 06:59 PM
good as new?????????????????????????????.......flats dont come with cup holders do they???.. :idea:
They don't come with CD Players and subs either, I want to be alittle different with this one. :p .............( . )( . )..............Im thinking about side gas tanks and I thought...why not just use one of those Moon tanks at the back between the stringers ? Bad idear? They sure would polish out nice :idea: , but only hold 10 gallons of gas! That sure would make for alot of fill ups at the Lake :cry: But, it would be lighter!

Rexone
09-09-2005, 11:51 PM
thanks for the info, hope it works better than copper split bolts on steering cable.
Im sure it will Dan those copper deals don't work worth a shit.
You might try this for tightening the copper split bolts Dan, it may perserve the luster of the hair on your knuckles. Good luck.
http://www2.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/732iw16.jpg

lucky
09-10-2005, 06:19 AM
(I propose we start a Lucky, wtf did he just say thread) :)
Just attach some copper cable clamps to the wills and the main caps will never move an iouta[/QUOTE]
After my thread to traci , I was thinking that some smart ass would bring this up :) :D It would be indignient as no one appreciates second fiddle !
and there's your first one mike :idea:

Boy Named Sue
09-10-2005, 03:57 PM
"Hairy Knuckled Gorilla aka Sasquatch"
Don't forget "Magilla". :D

Sleek26
09-10-2005, 11:05 PM
shezzz steering equipment ain't nothing to joke about I would think, at least it ain't in my boat!.. :confused:[/QUOTE]
True, but damn it isn't brain surgery either. The rudder moves further one direction than the other. How hard can it be figure out why?????