PDA

View Full Version : 20 hour service

Indobos
08-30-2005, 04:57 PM
Sorry, but I am wondering from you mechs out there. How close to the 20 hours do I need to be or how over can I be for the 20 hour service?

riverroyal
08-30-2005, 04:58 PM
at 28hr,,,496ho,,,no biggie

Indobos
08-30-2005, 05:10 PM
at 28hr,,,496ho,,,no biggie
Anyone else? Not wanting to F-up anything... :crossx: but shoot gonna end up throwing a whipple on it in a year.

Wonderboy
08-30-2005, 05:25 PM
I did mine a few days ago. I am at 23 hrs. But I just found oil in the storage unit and the boat's at the stereo shop so I can't go see what's wrong with it :burningm: Oh, 496HO BTW

Ultracrazy
08-30-2005, 06:24 PM
I did mine a few days ago. I am at 23 hrs. But I just found oil in the storage unit and the boat's at the stereo shop so I can't go see what's wrong with it :burningm: Oh, 496HO BTW
That happened to me........it was the brass elbow of the oil sending unit. It's under warranty right? No biggie.
UC

Wonderboy
08-30-2005, 06:34 PM
That happened to me........it was the brass elbow of the oil sending unit. It's under warranty right? No biggie.
UC
Yeah, but I had the service done somewhere else. I know the place that serviced it will take care of it. They seem to be pretty cool.

SnakeWrench
08-30-2005, 06:44 PM
You want to try to get as close to the 20 mark as possible. The reason is that if there is any issues with the motor/drive package, it is best to get it done soon as possible.
As for the oil fittings on the oil cooler, Merc had an issue with the lines coming loose in transport. I've had a few and now we check them before we install the engines. It is also one of the usual service checks also.

Ultracrazy
08-30-2005, 07:16 PM
You want to try to get as close to the 20 mark as possible. The reason is that if there is any issues with the motor/drive package, it is best to get it done soon as possible.
As for the oil fittings on the oil cooler, Merc had an issue with the lines coming loose in transport. I've had a few and now we check them before we install the engines. It is also one of the usual service checks also.
Yep......that was it.....it had maybe 9 hours on it when found about 3 qts of oil in the bilge.

Wonderboy
08-30-2005, 07:30 PM
Yep......that was it.....it had maybe 9 hours on it when found about 3 qts of oil in the bilge.
That sucks! I'll find out tomorrow where the oil is coming from. Did it take long for them to fix it? I'm supposed to leave for the river on Thursday.

SnakeWrench
08-30-2005, 07:33 PM
No, A few days. If the hose broke, they should be able to get it out within a few days. I have one of those hoses in stock if you need one.

Wonderboy
08-30-2005, 07:35 PM
No, A few days. If the hose broke, they should be able to get it out within a few days. I have one of those hoses in stock if you need one.
Ok. I'll let you know tomorrow. The problem is the boat is at the stereo shop until Wed. and we're supposed to leave thurs. The boat was fine though until I had the service done. That's when it started leaking.

riverroyal
08-30-2005, 07:36 PM
its just a lose drain plug?something simple

Wonderboy
08-30-2005, 07:40 PM
its just a lose drain plug?something simple
I hope so!! That would be a relief!

Supultlbich
08-30-2005, 07:52 PM
What kind of system are you putting in?? We just had two subs done at car toyz, and it came out awesome, how are you the other half enjoying the boat so far?? It was good to meet you guys that day at steamboat.

M&M247
08-31-2005, 05:28 AM
Should the 20 hour service be done by a shop, or is it something that can be done myself?

dicudmore
08-31-2005, 06:32 AM
Should the 20 hour service be done by a shop, or is it something that can be done myself?
drive alignment is supposed to be checked, and thats done at a shop ;)
also, if there is an issue, better for them to go ahead and catch it than have you break down. My boat at the 20-hr service they found that the bellows had been leaking water and rusted my u-joints etc. Had the 100-hr service at 75 and found the same thing...

dicudmore
08-31-2005, 06:34 AM
Anyone else? Not wanting to F-up anything... :crossx: but shoot gonna end up throwing a whipple on it in a year.
Don't do it...
The odds are strongly against it living through the season...

M&M247
08-31-2005, 06:44 AM
The boat is stored in Parker. Any recommendations in Parker or Havasu for the 20 hour check up.

OGShocker
08-31-2005, 06:50 AM
Ok. I'll let you know tomorrow. The problem is the boat is at the stereo shop until Wed. and we're supposed to leave thurs. The boat was fine though until I had the service done. That's when it started leaking.
Who did the service? :notam:

voodoomedman
08-31-2005, 07:24 AM
Get it done between 20 and 30 hours. You also want to get your next one done by about 70-75 hours because your impeller will need changed by then. Definately have a shop do it unless you are a gearhead that has the proper tools and manual and can do everything right. A mechanic will know what to look for and for warranty purposes you will want to be able to show Merc that a professional checked it out okay. You also probably won't be able to check drive alignment yourself. A good and honest mechanic will tell you when exactly it needs to come back and exactly what he will do. My reccomendation is Aaron at Absolute Speed and Marine in Lake Havasu City. Drop it off for a few hours and you'll have it back done with no worries and they'll service your trailer and everything.

M&M247
08-31-2005, 08:06 AM
Get it done between 20 and 30 hours. You also want to get your next one done by about 70-75 hours because your impeller will need changed by then. Definately have a shop do it unless you are a gearhead that has the proper tools and manual and can do everything right. A mechanic will know what to look for and for warranty purposes you will want to be able to show Merc that a professional checked it out okay. You also probably won't be able to check drive alignment yourself. A good and honest mechanic will tell you when exactly it needs to come back and exactly what he will do. My reccomendation is Aaron at Absolute Speed and Marine in Lake Havasu City. Drop it off for a few hours and you'll have it back done with no worries and they'll service your trailer and everything.
Do you have number for Absolute Speed and Marine. I could not find them thru information. Also, someone recommended Eddy Marine in Parker, Any Thoughts?

voodoomedman
08-31-2005, 08:14 AM
Do you have number for Absolute Speed and Marine. I could not find them thru information. Also, someone recommended Eddy Marine in Parker, Any Thoughts?
Absolute Speed and Marine
1607 Industrial Boulevard
Lake Havasu City AZ 86403
Tel: 928-855-2252
Fax: 928-855-1063
Email: LHCBOATS@Yahoo.com
Not familiar with Eddie Marine in Parker but Aaron at Absolute is freakin' awesome. Do a search on here and type in Absolute and you will see what I mean. I used him and couldn't be happier. This guy goes above and beyond and is as honest as can be. All this and his work is impeccable.

goneboatin
08-31-2005, 08:14 AM
Also, someone recommended Eddy Marine in Parker, Any Thoughts?
Run, Forrest, run!....run away as fast as you can, don't even look back!