PDA

View Full Version : Anyone used Edelbrock marine carbs?

79Hawaiian
02-23-2003, 11:49 AM
My holley 600cfm is in need of a rebuild and I was thinking about trying a Edelbrock Marine 750 (http://www.edelbrock.com/automotive/marine.html). I was wondering if anyone had any experience with these?
I am running a fairly stock 460, performer manifold, log exhaust, mild cam.

Hotcrusader76
02-23-2003, 11:58 AM
I haven't heard of anyone using them at this moment but Edelbrock just released a new line of carburetors. It would be in your best interest to purchase a tuning/calibration kit as well.
There is alot of hidden potential with the use of those types of carburetors; small primaries-triple booster venturies, large secondaries.
I have just released a new line of performance overhauled Q-jets and should have pics late next week once I get them back from the powdercoater/anodizer. Of course they really show their true colors (no punn intended) on mild mannered small blocks but once they've been worked a little, they should prove to be real winners on a big-block.
Stay tuned...
~Ty

rrrr
02-23-2003, 12:38 PM
I bought one for my bowrider, it has a 7.4L Merc. I was having a little trouble with the stock Weber and decided to try the Edelbrock.
It performed fine, I was too lazy to tune it so I had the Weber rebuilt. Ty is right, if you take the time and try different metering rods and other things they are good carbs.
Big Block Chevy Marine Performance by Dennis Moore has good info on how to tune these carbs.

powerplay230
02-23-2003, 01:19 PM
If I'm not mistaken the Edelbrock and Weber carb are one and the same other than maybe the way they come set up from factory tuning.

rrrr
02-23-2003, 01:29 PM
powerplay230:
If I'm not mistaken the Edelbrock and Weber carb are one and the same other than maybe the way they come set up from factory tuning. That's correct.

LeE ss13
02-23-2003, 04:18 PM
Is Edelbrock the old Carter AFB ???

iparky
02-23-2003, 05:27 PM
I used one a few years ago and it never gave me any problems, ordered from JEGS. Was used on a new stock 460, log exhaust, edlebrock dual plane manifold. I've been told the single plane is better for the rpm I was running (jet). :D
[ February 23, 2003, 05:31 PM: Message edited by: iparky ]

DansBlown73Nordic
02-23-2003, 05:40 PM
I have a friend with a twin engine Welcraft. He has run a pair of them for about 4-5 years without any problems.

Jordy
02-23-2003, 05:41 PM
I put an Edelbrock carb in my Blazer back when I was in high school because I got tired of the Holley flooding out when we'd go out and go rock climbing or bouncing around at the river. It was the biggest piece of shit I have ever seen. It would flood out of I took a corner too sharp, and I paid to have it all set up and dialed into my truck. I took it back and put the Holley back on. Hopefully they've changed their game a bit.

01RENEGADE
02-23-2003, 05:45 PM
Dennis and I just installed a edelbrock 600 cfm on my 350 small block.waiting to take it out to see how it works this is going from a 2 barrel to a 4 barrel also he installed a edelbrock intake hope it works.I will be posting pics soon it looks great.

79Hawaiian
02-23-2003, 05:53 PM
Thanks for the feedback! I have been doing some research today on the web and have found some feedback on other boards. Here is what I have found:
- Cold starting is better on the Edelbrock
- Performance is better on the Holley
- Fuel economy is better on the Edelbrock
- Tuning is easier on the Holley
- Tuning the Edelbrock is VERY sensitive
I got to say I like the looks of the Holley 4050 over the Edel. There are a lot of chrome bolt-on goodies available for the Holley too.
The Holley I have been running is an automotive carb I bought a few years ago out of the recycler. I have grown a bit paranoid over reading some of the previous threads about boats blowing up after using car parts and not marine.
I just ordered a new Edel 750 today. I am thinking the additional CFM (750 vs. 600 now) will compensate for the performance lag reported on the Edel. I will post a report when I get her back in the water with the new carb.

Hallett19
02-23-2003, 09:51 PM
I like edelbrock as a company, but the holley is so much easier to work on !!! I had a holley 780 and went to a edelbrock because the guy at the speed shop practically strong armed me into buying it and it was ok for a while, but I started running into all these problems, so I had the holley rebuilt and put on, no problem so far and its much more dependable.

Back To Havasu
02-25-2003, 11:32 AM
I have had two Edelbrocks. If buying again, I would check out Demon carbs. wink

Sleek-Jet
02-25-2003, 11:52 AM
I have run one (edlebrock) on my truck for 4 years now. Once I got it tuned, no problems.
The only maintenence that I have had to do is clean the carb once a year.
But, my boat is going to get a demon when it's rebuilt this spring.

spectras only
02-25-2003, 11:58 AM
The edelbrock[weber] 750 marine carb works fine, easy start with the electric choke.Had it on my 24 spectra v-drive .Put back the holley 800 DP no choke ,that was stock in 1972 with the LS-6, for nostalgic wink reasons only.No speed change with either.

79Hawaiian
02-25-2003, 11:59 PM
rrrr:
powerplay230:
If I'm not mistaken the Edelbrock and Weber carb are one and the same other than maybe the way they come set up from factory tuning. That's correct. I just found out that it is actually a Carter 9000 carb that has the word "Weber" stamped into the metal on side of the bowl and a Edelbrock tag glued on next to that. I have decided to put my own sticker on the thing next to all the rest and start my own line of marine carbs.
May I present... The Demented Oxygen Race Karb 9000 or "DORK 9000" for short. Please click on the DORK 9000 image below for the order form.
Thank you for your support.
http://boener.com/boat/dork.jpg (http://www.thedork.com/)

Hydro-Thunder
02-26-2003, 06:11 AM
I have run 750 cfm, square-flange, electric choke, marine #1410 for a couple of years now and have no problems with it.
Jesse

79Hawaiian
02-26-2003, 08:43 AM
I guess I am a bit disappointed. The whole rebranding thing sucks. You don't know what you are buying. Thank god for the Internet and availability of information.
I have no stink about Weber but I have had some bad experiences with Carter. I have a motorhome running a dodge 440 with a thermoquad. I rebuilt the carb, had it rebuilt again professionally, bought a new carb and the thing never ran right. I then threw a Holley thermoquad replacement on and it ran like a bat out of hell.

powerplay230
02-26-2003, 07:55 PM
Thing that gets me is the wide range of prices for what is the same product. The Edelbroch is a fraction of the Weber price, so would go with it as long as can get it tuned right

HP350SC
02-26-2003, 08:28 PM
The Edelbrock 750 will work fine. In my opinion,they are easier to tune.Metering rods and springs take 2 minutes. I have also changed main jets while on the water since no fuel spills when you lift the top off.

Posey
02-27-2003, 05:20 PM
I had the weber on my 502 mag. had the boat 5yrs. w/no trouble. I've used them on street rods as well with no problem. Edelbrock is the same carb. Edelbrock sent the old AFB to weber for redesigning and thats what they come up with. I have talked with eldelbrock on occasions and they will tell you what jets, metering rods and springs to run when you give them the info of your engine and what your doing with it. Holley's are ok to, mostly WFO :)

1tricky1
03-05-2003, 06:54 PM
HP350SC:
The Edelbrock 750 will work fine. In my opinion,they are easier to tune.Metering rods and springs take 2 minutes. I have also changed main jets while on the water since no fuel spills when you lift the top off. I must agree! I run 2 of them on a 500hp bbc and I think they work great! Very easy tuning. The metering rods are a piece of cake to change and the jets can be changed with no fuel spillage! Very cool in my book!