PDA

View Full Version : Fired up.

Thunderbutt
08-31-2005, 07:49 AM
I srarted the motor today. While it is ideling it pumps out smoke from all of the breathers.(not steam) When I rev it up it stops, then back to idel it starts again. This is the first it ran since a rebuild. I took off one of the hoses to the puck tank so I could smell it, it doesen't smell like exhaust,(But my nose is as bad as my ears) kinda like oil. If a valve is hanging open will it put exhaust back into the motor? WHAT DO YOU THINK? Jim

Moneypitt
08-31-2005, 08:14 AM
Your rings are leaking badly. It may be because they are not seated. What type rings did you use. Iron and/or chrome rings are slow seaters. The cylinder wall finish also has alot to do with ring seating. The smoke you are seeing is blow by, compression leaking past the rings and vaporizing the oil. MP

Carnivalride
08-31-2005, 08:26 AM
Did you put them in your bores and check ring end gap before you installed them on the pistons? I just sent a set of Total Seals back earlier this year because the second rings had a .201" end gap. They had to have been mispackaged.
My .02

blowngas
08-31-2005, 01:10 PM
the rings won't seat untill the first time you put a decent load on the motor, no matter how much you idle it or even using "ring seal"

Thunderbutt
08-31-2005, 06:54 PM
the rings won't seat untill the first time you put a decent load on the motor, no matter how much you idle it or even using "ring seal"
blowngas, I agree with you. It goes in the water tomorow.
moneypitt, your also right. (Chrome rings)
Thanks guy's
Jim

Thunderbutt
09-02-2005, 07:51 AM
The rings are seated. I had to adjust the valves a little. I could only get 4500, because the carb's weren't opening all of the way. back in the water today. This is proberbly bullshit, the guy that built the motor said they only make chrome rings for this size piston. Is that true? it is a 468, standerd stroke. I don't know what size piston.

Carnivalride
09-02-2005, 08:28 AM
This is proberbly bullshit, the guy that built the motor said they only make chrome rings for this size piston. Is that true? it is a 468, standerd stroke. I don't know what size piston.
I'd say you called it look in any of the catalogs there are all kinds of rings for the BBC based engines, file fit or pre fit.
Just my .02