PDA

View Full Version : vibration and backlash

martini-friday
08-31-2005, 09:42 AM
hi
I just bought my first v-drive, a 1968 Stevens powered by a 454 linked to a pretty standard Casale drive and i'm having some mechanical issues. I'm 20 and dont have much experience with this sort of thing and my old man, while quite mechanically adept has never worked with these particular kinds of boats before either.
Anyway my problems are these...
the motor runs great in neutral, but when the forward is engaged the thing will hardly turn over. When you do start it, it barely runs at an idle and shakes like hell when throttled up. Any thoughts? Also i have heard that these things vibrate even when tuned well...so how much vibration is tolerable?
Also, there is roughly 1/8th turn backlash in the prop shaft after the v-drive, when the drive is forward engaged. Should there be this much? or any at all? what could cause this?
Thanks.

Sangerboy
08-31-2005, 11:07 AM
Martini, I think I would check the ignition system if you're having trouble while under load. Double check your timing, the quality of the wires and plugs, distributor, cap and rotor. It sounds like you may not be getting a strong spark into the combustion chamber. There's a lot of people smarter than me on here I'm sure they'll weigh in with suggestions also. The play in the propshaft while you are in gear is not unusual, especially if you are running a 2-dog engagement, that is why some v-drives really rattle at idle while in gear.

coolchange
08-31-2005, 08:46 PM
1/8 turn seems excessive. If you are running it in gear on the trailer and have a rubber strut bushing it will make a gawd awful howl. If you have a 2 blade it will shudder when it takes off and rolls over ( jeez I miss that). My old boat would shake so hard it would pop the mag switch back to the off position. But after that it should be smooth. 3 blade should be virtually vibration free. If you feel the motor is solid I would disconnnect the drive shaft and roll the drive over by hand for "feel". Also check the oil for junk.
Welcome to the addiction, you're here for life.....

V-Drive Tom
09-01-2005, 05:53 AM
Martini- If you would like to call me I will help you find out what is creating your vibration. :squiggle: TOM..

martini-friday
09-01-2005, 09:07 AM
I really appreciate all the input, gives me a starting point anyway. V-Drive Tom, I may take you up on your offer as it would be nice to ask some more detailed questions about stuff.
Thanks and keep it coming if you have any other thoughts.