PDA

View Full Version : Painting wrought iron?

Jrocket
05-07-2006, 08:09 PM
Anybody here a painter? I need my wrought iron gates and fencing painted? Roller/brush or spray...which is best?
Anybody here want to come by and give me a price to paint it?
Riverside area.

bchbum
05-07-2006, 08:14 PM
I heard there's a glove made for this . Put the paint on it & wipe it on.But I'm only a plumber , what do I know :cool:

SHAKEN Not Stirred
05-07-2006, 08:47 PM
Don't paint.....
Sandblast & powdercoat !!!!
Later,
CJG
:)

YeLLowBoaT
05-07-2006, 08:48 PM
well they make a mit that works great. If I had my choice I would use a electrostatic airless( or for that matter a pot sprayer) If its round you can just spray one side and it will coat every thing. If its square you need to spray 2 opposite sides...If you can rent a electrostaitc airless, go with it... I love them.

Jrocket
05-07-2006, 08:49 PM
Don't paint.....
Sandblast & powdercoat !!!!
Later,
CJG
:)
Thought of that,but the gates are so big that i really dont want to take them off,load them up and go through all the hassle.gates are 25ft wide and 6-7ft tall...2 of them,plus the fence parts.

Riomouse911
05-07-2006, 08:54 PM
Yellowboat has the right idea.. thats the same technique they use on aircraft. It sticks and covers the whole piece you're painting, and it reduces overspray. Shouldn't be too expensive to rent at a good painter supply house..

Charley
05-07-2006, 08:55 PM
how about a patina finish... I am considering a copper patina finish on my wrought iron, any help would be appreciated

Jrocket
05-07-2006, 08:58 PM
Yellowboat has the right idea.. thats the same technique they use on aircraft. It sticks and covers the whole piece you're painting, and it reduces overspray. Shouldn't be too expensive to rent at a good painter supply house..
I'll check into it....but would really like to have a professional do it instead.I could only imagine the f'up I could make doing it myself. :)

YeLLowBoaT
05-07-2006, 08:58 PM
Well I should I have painted about 15k ft of it.... actually I rent one About 4 time s a year( I don't have 12k to spend on a airless that is only really good for metal) its about 200 a day, 800 a week. They are Harder to find, tipicaly the airless "repair shops" or the industrail paint suppliers are the only places that even know what it is ( or for that matter have them to rent).
If your in Norcal I would be more then happy to give you a bid.... :)
I almost forgot... if you want to ge the "best job" look for a industrail painter... most "house painters" do not have the knowlegde/exp to do this type of job.... Some do, but most don't.

BA Kurtis
05-08-2006, 04:15 AM
I'll check into it....but would really like to have a professional do it instead.I could only imagine the f'up I could make doing it myself. :)
Jrocket were are you located, if close by I would come by and see what you got, and may be able to help you out.

Jbb
05-08-2006, 04:33 AM
I paint with a Graco Electrostatic airless/air assist everyday President pump pro xs/aa gun.....they are nice....and take some getting used to......but if you think the "wrap" effect will allow you to paint from one side only......you are gonna be disappointed...

mike37
05-08-2006, 05:31 AM
rustolium and a brush or glove