PDA

View Full Version : Hurricane Katrina

Debbolas
08-31-2005, 11:53 AM
You know, I was just thinking :idea: (I'm watching CNN) and they say this hurricane will be the BEST DOCUMENTED storm, because of all the cell phone cameras and video cameras............
Well...........
It occured to me, (I'm just floored by all this damage)
This has happened before, we just haven't been able to see it.
(the boats just break me up......) :cry:

Mrs.Racer277
08-31-2005, 12:05 PM
You know, I was just thinking :idea: (I'm watching CNN) and they say this hurricane will be the BEST DOCUMENTED storm, because of all the cell phone cameras and video cameras............
Well...........
It occured to me, (I'm just floored by all this damage)
This has happened before, we just haven't been able to see it.
(the boats just break me up......) :cry:
I keep thinking about Hoss. He stayed at his house. :(

Miss Perfect
08-31-2005, 12:07 PM
I keep thinking about Hoss. He stayed at his house. :(
I know, I keep thinking about him too :(

Debbolas
08-31-2005, 12:08 PM
So :idea:
how do we check on our hot boat friends (and strangers :wink: ) down there?
Is that Hot Spots Central or East............why isn't there a South :(

Miss Perfect
08-31-2005, 12:10 PM
That's just nuts. How close to the action is his town?
He lives in New Orleans if I'm not mistaken.

Vada
08-31-2005, 12:11 PM
Does anyone know of how many fatalities this has caused?

HCS
08-31-2005, 12:12 PM
That sucks for HOSS. Iv'e been wandering about the ***boaters down that way. :(

Debbolas
I think they are still counting, they said there were bodies floating in the water in New Orleans :frown:

RP1
Yes he does. James let us know how you're doing when you have a chance.

Vada
08-31-2005, 12:13 PM
I think they are still counting, they said there were bodies floating in the water in New Orleans :frown:
Ah geeze...my prayers to everyone involved :frown:

Mrs.Racer277
08-31-2005, 12:14 PM
You are correct. We last heard from him at about 3:30 am yesterday. :( He was posting on the inside line.

pjones
08-31-2005, 12:15 PM
According to reports, 80% of New Orleans is
under water. And it's getting worse because
they havn't been able to plug the levee yet.
Maybe we'll hear from Hoss, crf311 and any others from
that area soon....
My hear goes out to them all.....
PJ

HCS
08-31-2005, 12:16 PM
Does anyone know of how many fatalities this has caused?
I don't think they'll have a count for a while. They said this morning that one appartment building broke in have and killed 33 people.
They had another incident where this lady had the force off the wind slam her house door shut on her finger. Chopped her finger off and they were seeking medical help.

pjones
08-31-2005, 12:16 PM
Oh yea, Keep those prayers and thoughts coming....
PJ

Debbolas
08-31-2005, 12:27 PM
Oh yea, Keep those prayers and thoughts coming....
PJ
Is it ok where you are? :confused:
I have relatives in Marshall Texas, that is just by you :confused:

topless
08-31-2005, 12:31 PM
I've been through hurricanes when I lived in Texas but was far enough inland not to feel the full effect. What I don't understand is why people stay put and not evacuate when told to. They do have enough warning to get out of the way.

Magic34
08-31-2005, 12:36 PM
That's just nuts. How close to the action is his town?
From what I was reading on inside line, he is right there in the mix of it. I though he said he was close to Lake Ponchotrain. I hope I am wrong.
This situation is beyond really bad. I'm praying for all of them.

deltarat
08-31-2005, 12:41 PM
From what I was reading on inside line, he is right there in the mix of it. I though he said he was close to Lake Ponchotrain. I hope I am wrong.
This situation is beyond really bad. I'm praying for all of them.
I thought they said he lived a two or three blocks from the levey, I sure hope that he OK.

AZKC
08-31-2005, 12:42 PM
I've been through hurricanes when I lived in Texas but was far enough inland not to feel the full effect. What I don't understand is why people stay put and not evacuate when told to. They do have enough warning to get out of the way.
They wanted to go shopping at the Everybodys Store :burningm: :boxingguy

topless
08-31-2005, 12:45 PM
They wanted to go shopping at the Everybodys Store :burningm: :boxingguy
LOL, it's just sad that people have to resort to things like that. :idea:

AZKC
08-31-2005, 12:48 PM
The sad truth is that its going to get much worse in the next few days :( It will be interesting to watch society break down into anarchy :lightsabe :frown:

FHI-prez
08-31-2005, 01:03 PM
Well, from the perspective of living in Fl. I think I can answer this pretty well. The reason has many parts. Ignorance, frustration, inability, and gambling.
Some people don't leave because they haven't been through a bad storm and think everything will be messed up, but in the end....ok.
Have you ever evacuated? Evacuation is an absolute nightmare. The roads leaving sometimes seem more dangerous than staying through a hurricane. Hurricanes can be very unpredictable, so it's pretty much the norm to keep a close eye on it and see where it's deffinitely going to hit. The devastation from a hurricane is reletively close to the eye, so even if you are comparably close to the eye, it depends on which side and what kind of house you have and how far you live above sea level.
Also, some people in the metro areas don't have a car, they can't leave if they wanted to. Public transportation is great for the enviroment and the persons pocket book in some cases, but it sucks big time if you have to grab personal belongings and go on a 12 hr trip in total gridlock with no car to get you into the gridlock.
It is a gamble, there are a LOT of false alarms when it comes to these storms. Sure you have a week or even days to leave, but you don't really know for sure that you are in harms way until the day before, sometimes less. By the time you do know for sure (assuming you are able to leave and are thinking about staying) the roads are so backed up it's a real possibility of getting stranded on the highway, out of fuel or a broken down car.
The best thing to do is assess your house. If it's reletively strong and in a good high area with cover, in the very least if there is a storm headed toward you, get full tanks of gas with as much extra fuel cans as you can. Food and medication as well as other essentials should be kept all hurricane season. If you feel the need to leave you can, and at least don't have to worry about food and gas. You just have to worry about some asshole rear ending you on the interstate because he/she is calling there mother in Kansas.
Hurricanes are a lose lose situation. You stay, you can get screwed, if you leave you can get screwed. Getting back in to secure your home is also a HUGE problem once the storm has passed. Even if this storm kills 200 people, it's still a low % compared to the number of the people in the area. Chances are you'll live, probably like 100,000 to one or even more. That's pretty good odds.

pjones
08-31-2005, 01:09 PM
Is it ok where you are? :confused:
I have relatives in Marshall Texas, that is just by you :confused:
We're all high and dry here, Shreveport is receiving alot
of the rufugees w/ evidently a whole lot more on the way.
Marshall is about 45 miles due west of me on I20.
God this is getting horrible...!

topless
08-31-2005, 01:19 PM
Have you ever evacuated? Yes I have evacuated on more than one occasion. I also worked at a red cross shelter during hurricane Alicia. It was scary to say the least. I would rather evacuate than take my chances.

H20 Toie
08-31-2005, 03:00 PM
I left New Orleans on Sunday morning to go to Houston which is normally a 5 hour drive, it took us 6 hours to go five miles, it took 20 hours to get to Houston, i would have rather stayed in town than have got caught on the road. we had flights booked for sunday which was before the storm hit but they were cancelled sat night so we had to find a way out, there were no rental cars available, no taxi's

riverroyal
08-31-2005, 03:13 PM
so how did you get to houston?

H20 Toie
08-31-2005, 03:58 PM
so how did you get to houston?
They chartered buses there where 100 crew people that they had to get out, we were working on Wheel of Fortune

riverroyal
08-31-2005, 04:03 PM
glad you ok,,,,was vanna ok? :D

riverroyal
08-31-2005, 04:19 PM
just watch the msnbc coverage from a helicopter,damn its bad,ive stayed in biloxi miss and its gone,,,

KACHINA KEN
08-31-2005, 04:29 PM
We're all high and dry here, Shreveport is receiving alot
of the rufugees w/ evidently a whole lot more on the way.
Marshall is about 45 miles due west of me on I20.
God this is getting horrible...!
I'm from Bossier originally, my fam is still there.

FHI-prez
08-31-2005, 06:42 PM
Yes I have evacuated on more than one occasion. I also worked at a red cross shelter during hurricane Alicia. It was scary to say the least. I would rather evacuate than take my chances.
I agree, and in MOST cases it is the smart thing to do. For example when you have a CAT 5 headed your way. But I don't always do the smart thing. Stayed through 4 last year and was very glad i did, but they were nothing like this one. If i lived in a flood prone area, i'd be outta there. It's still a risk to stay, but sometimes it's worth it. Sometimes you get your ass kicked. I don't have any kids, so I don't have to worry about risking children if I decide to stay.

mmered8299
08-31-2005, 06:57 PM
Did you guys check out the cops pointing shotguns at the looters? Give me a break. What are you going to do? Kill the guy for stealing some food. I'd be like, hey arrest me. That way I got a place to sleep and food to eat, otherwise I'll be sleeping on the roof of my house eating my bag of cheese puff and Dr. Pepper.

98 Vector 21
08-31-2005, 06:59 PM
Its bad news any way you slice it...Our prayers go out to all....

pjones
09-01-2005, 05:49 AM
I'm from Bossier originally, my fam is still there.
Really?...Small world huh?
Thought I saw on a previous thread where someone
had a brother in Shreveport, was that you?
When did you leave Bossier? Better still when was the last time
you were here? Boy things have changed a bunch recently...

Debbolas
09-01-2005, 10:19 AM
What is it like in Shreveport?
I have family in Marshall Texas, pretty close to you...(Cado Lake) :rollside:

pjones
09-01-2005, 10:47 AM
We didnt even get any rain out of it...really weird...
Just waiting on more evacuees.
Its' really very sad.....

Debbolas
09-01-2005, 11:31 AM
very sad :(