PDA

View Full Version : Open bow jets.

Danhercules
08-31-2005, 01:24 PM
My brother is lookin for a open bow jet. 18 or 19'
Who made them back in the day?
I know advantage did, Roost, what is your boat called? Is there a model?
Anyone got one for sale?

Cas
08-31-2005, 02:28 PM
kind of rare but Bahner made this 18' model. It has the Roger's 18 bottom with the Bahner tunnel hull top.
http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data/500/3870Cas2.JPG
http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data/500/3870Cas1.JPG
been half thinking of selling but really don't know yet

bordsmnj
08-31-2005, 03:11 PM
i thnik cole boats made one too. i could be wrong....

Sleek26
08-31-2005, 03:19 PM
Meanwhile, back at the ranch, Tonto, not knowing the Lone Ranger was cleverly disguised as a conoe. Jumped in stroked 3 times and shot off across the lake.

victorfb
08-31-2005, 03:21 PM
roosts is an advantage. not sure how many were made. but i think they will still make one to order.

hbpdub
08-31-2005, 04:32 PM
Anyone got one for sale?
My Dad's got a 1991 18.5 Ultra jet he's looking to sell.

Slacker
08-31-2005, 06:06 PM
Found one on ebay:
needs fixing up.......
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/86-TAYLOR-OPEN-BOW-JET-BOAT-BBC-BERKELY-PARTS-PROJECT_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ26455QQitemZ457 2258885QQrdZ1

wasted$$
08-31-2005, 07:21 PM
I've got this 1978 Hawaiian. Needs carpet & interior. I have a Ford 460 that I can install and give it to you turn-key, or I'd sell just the hull. I took the pump apart last season, impeller looked good. Re-shimmed it and cleaned up the veins on the bowl, then put it back together. It's a JC pump. Make an offer...
http://www.intechequip.com/images/hawaiian1.jpg
http://www.intechequip.com/images/hawaiian2.jpg

SPECTRABRENT
08-31-2005, 07:34 PM
Anyone got one for sale?
I have a 1988 21 Hallett SS open bow (bare hull & trailer) if your brother cant find a 18 or 19 footer.
Brent

NELSON#109
08-31-2005, 07:46 PM
My Dad's got a 1991 18.5 Ultra jet he's looking to sell.
THAT WAS GONNA BE ONE OFF MY SUGGESTIONS. I'VE ALSO SEEN A FEW OPEN BOW CP GULLWINGS.... I'VE SEEN A BUNCH OF THE LITTLE ULTRAS UP CLOSE, THEY ARE COOL LITTLE BOATS...

moneysucker
08-31-2005, 08:35 PM
SDPM makes the open Gulwing style boat, not a CP, They are really nice boats. Any colors you want and you couldn't ask for a nicer guy to do business with.
Cy

Rocknpalms
08-31-2005, 09:00 PM
I am danhercules brother and I thank you for the informaiton. The boat I saw and really liked was the Advantage.
Sorry if I sound dumb but what is a CP Gullwing.
Does any one have pictures of these boats? and do they look like the Advantage?
I really would like a bubble deck like the Advantage as it reminds me of my old 78 Rogers.
I am looking for a winter project so any condition is fine.

Danhercules
08-31-2005, 10:05 PM
I've got this 1978 Hawaiian. Needs carpet & interior. I have a Ford 460 that I can install and give it to you turn-key, or I'd sell just the hull. I took the pump apart last season, impeller looked good. Re-shimmed it and cleaned up the veins on the bowl, then put it back together. It's a JC pump. Make an offer...
http://www.intechequip.com/images/hawaiian1.jpg
Hey there HairyPalms, I mean Rocknpalms, you told me that you wanted a Advantage open bow with no motor if possible. Well, Here ya got a open bow with no motor, two out of three are not bad!!!! PLUS, its got a bubble deck. Thats what you like with the Advantage.
A "CP" is a "California Perfomace" hull. A name like "Rogers". BUT, (hehe, I said butt) The CP Gullwings are popular hulls for going fast. They are an "air entrapment " hull. Its a "V", but its got what I call a makshift tunnel. They pack air to get out of the water. I dont think the CP is up your ally money wise.
There is a pic of a KILLER open bow CP Gullwing that was down at MPD. I have seen pics on here before.

SB
09-01-2005, 06:25 AM
Baja made some.

BonnevilleBaby
09-01-2005, 07:38 AM
hi there franz, glad to see you finally made it to the forums.
whatever happened to the other boat you picked up and fixed up?? never did see you out at the river. say hi to patty & the kids.
Toni

superdave013
09-01-2005, 08:04 AM
Sorry if I sound dumb but what is a CP Gullwing.
Think low profile tri hull

AZKC
09-01-2005, 10:14 AM
I think this is a custom deal, my 79 Hawaiian is a walk thru :confused:
:rolleyes:
http://www2.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/5772884787iXeBYX_ph.jpg

Cas
09-01-2005, 10:27 AM
since you're wanting a project for the winter, just get yourself a hull you like and turn in into an open bow. Just build the bow supports first, install them and start cutting. :)
see that OR, I do listen to what you tell me :D

old rigger
09-01-2005, 11:23 AM
I really would like a bubble deck like the Advantage as it reminds me of my old 78 Rogers.
That's because it is/was a Rogers.
That 78 Hawaiian wasted$$ has didn't come stock with an open bow, that was done later. The only open bow back in the day was the one like AZKC has. It was the first low profile open bow boat on the market other than the tri-hulls. It was an Omega before it was a Hawaiian.
Good looking boat AZKC. My dad had one of those for 20 years.
Cas is right. It's easier than foggin' a mirror to convert a closed bow to an open.

round2
09-01-2005, 11:44 AM
my neighbor has a boat for sale... i believe it is a 1990's ultra, open bow, stock 454 w/berkeley pump. i think he is asking around 8 or $9000. im not sure of the length but i will ask him if i can take pictures and if he still has it.

AZKC
09-01-2005, 01:01 PM
That's because it is/was a Rogers.
The only open bow back in the day was the one like AZKC has. It was the first low profile open bow boat on the market other than the tri-hulls. It was an Omega before it was a Hawaiian.
Good looking boat AZKC. My dad had one of those for 20 years.
Thats one of the reasons I keep fixin it. Its not the best built boat, but I see very few like it. I bought it new in 79 and my dad had it for awhile up at Orville, he gave it back to me around 8 years ago :D

Rocknpalms
09-01-2005, 08:04 PM
hi there franz, glad to see you finally made it to the forums.
whatever happened to the other boat you picked up and fixed up?? never did see you out at the river. say hi to patty & the kids.
Toni
Hello Toni,
Nice to hear from you! How are things?
We brought the fixer up boat to a great fun family boat. We went up to Havasu, Needles, Parker and Blythe this year. We like the small uncrowded week/weekends. Never once did we need to pull out the tools except for a small exhaust leak. Other than that we put many hours and alot of fuel through it. We are now looking for a walk thru, open bow, small jet boat like the mid to late 80s Advantage that we saw in Blythe.
The boat is now for sale to make room for the new boat that we are looking for. Check it out if any one is interested. Price is not firm. http://adcache.boattraderonline.com/6/5/4/80590854.htm
We have planned a trip with Dan and my sis to Blythe Oct 29-31st.

Rocknpalms
09-01-2005, 08:19 PM
Hey there HairyPalms, I mean Rocknpalms, you told me that you wanted a Advantage open bow with no motor if possible. Well, Here ya got a open bow with no motor, two out of three are not bad!!!! PLUS, its got a bubble deck. Thats what you like with the Advantage.
A "CP" is a "California Perfomace" hull. A name like "Rogers". BUT, (hehe, I said butt) The CP Gullwings are popular hulls for going fast. They are an "air entrapment " hull. Its a "V", but its got what I call a makshift tunnel. They pack air to get out of the water. I dont think the CP is up your ally money wise.
There is a pic of a KILLER open bow CP Gullwing that was down at MPD. I have seen pics on here before.
I am looking for a walk thru so this boat doesnt work (actually I want a pickle.) If you have more info on a used CP I am game. I like the idea of a faster boat. You remember the old Rogers right? I got the go ahead from the boss to spend more on a boat, the compromise is an open bow. So we settled for open engine, low free board and open bow.
I need to wait a few more years for the 3 rotor turbo EFI Meth Pickel. It will happen!!!!!! UNLIMITED RPMS
What is MPD? Do I sound dumb or what?

Danhercules
09-01-2005, 08:54 PM
MPD, is a shop. Marine Performance Design. They do Jet pumps.
There was a rotary boat on here a while back on ebay. It was like a 16' or somthing like that. It was a 13B.
I will keep lookin for the Gullwing.

DeputyDawg
09-01-2005, 10:04 PM
old rigger posted --
That 78 Hawaiian wasted$$ has didn't come stock with an open bow, that was done later. The only open bow back in the day was the one like AZKC has. It was the first low profile open bow boat on the market other than the tri-hulls. It was an Omega before it was a Hawaiian.
Hey Old Rigger, I know you know these old jets better than most, but weren't the low profile open bow Rochelles built back then about the same time or before? I really don't know but I think I have seen a 78' Rochelle before. Do you remember the Rochelles, and what do you think about them?

old rigger
09-02-2005, 07:48 AM
Hey Old Rigger, weren't the low profile open bow Rochelles built back then about the same time or before? I really don't know but I think I have seen a 78' Rochelle before. Do you remember the Rochelles, and what do you think about them?
You're probably right. I should have said that Omega was the first low profile open bow that I can remember on the market. It too was out around '78, with the Hawaiian right on it's heels. In fact, Schuster bought a Omega, we installed new interior and name tags and debuted the boat at the same boat show that Omega did. We were taking orders and didn't even have a set of molds yet. The Hawaiian was called a Moonraker after the James Bond move of the same name. (sorry, I know I've told this story before)
I've never see or heard of a Rochelle. Where were they built?

victorfb
09-02-2005, 09:35 AM
hey RocknPalms. man that is too funny. you went from an 18 rogers to a tahiti tiger jet, and i did just the opposite. though i still have both boats. the tahiti looks almost exactly like yours. anyhow, the CP gullwing youve got your interest on right now is an awsome boat. like the rogers hull, it too can be set up for high speeds. but they do have a quirk or two. be sure to talk to some gullwing owners before you buy. that hull has a reputation for hooking at high speeds. its a very fast hull, but needs lots of respect. i have never ridin in one so i cannot tell you about the ride. the Advantage 18 open bow is just what OldRigger said, a splash or better yet near copy of the Rogers 18 bonneville. only advantage opted to use the "E" pump and that has limited the performance somewhat. talk with mike "Roostwear" on this board. he has one that is doing around 71mph with a mild 460. ive ridin in that boat and it rides real well. glad to see you back in the boating world. sorry we didnt get to hook up on the water yet. hopefully soon. say hi to the fam for me.

hack job
09-02-2005, 09:41 AM
hey RocknPalms. man that is too funny. you went from an 18 rogers to a tahiti tiger jet, and i did just the opposite. though i still have both boats. the tahiti looks almost exactly like yours. anyhow, the CP gullwing youve got your interest on right now is an awsome boat. like the rogers hull, it too can be set up for high speeds. but they do have a quirk or two. be sure to talk to some gullwing owners before you buy. that hull has a reputation for hooking at high speeds. its a very fast hull, but needs lots of respect. i have never ridin in one so i cannot tell you about the ride. the Advantage 18 open bow is just what OldRigger said, a splash or better yet near copy of the Rogers 18 bonneville. only advantage opted to use the "E" pump and that has limited the performance somewhat. talk with mike "Roostwear" on this board. he has one that is doing around 71mph with a mild 460. ive ridin in that boat and it rides real well. glad to see you back in the boating world. sorry we didnt get to hook up on the water yet. hopefully soon. say hi to the fam for me.
vic the hook i think your talking about is in the cp tunnels not the gulwings. ;)
the gulwings are a sick boat and the 19 with the open bow is a sweet ride! there was one at cbbb that was super clean. there is one that runs down at big river as well. and i know george fomr clay smith cams has one and he runs down in blythe. i would talk to bill scotten if you seriously looking for one of those. he might be able to tell you were to look. ;)

victorfb
09-02-2005, 09:53 AM
very cool. thanks for the info hacksaw. i knew i heard about the CPs having the hook deal and just wanted to warn him before hand. didnt realize it was only the tunnel that had the quirk. sounds like theres no worries then.
hey Oldrigger, did you happen to see my post in the V-drive section about "Orrin boats"? maybe you know more about that hull. i believe he said it was a manaco or manarch, something like that. way cool all mohogany boat.

old rigger
09-02-2005, 10:09 AM
[QUOTE=victorfb] the Advantage 18 open bow is just what OldRigger said, a splash or better yet near copy of the Rogers 18 bonneville. only advantage opted to use the "E" pump and that has limited the performance somewhat. [QUOTE]
A near copy? lol I guess you could say that, they're out of the same molds. They bought them from Roger. But they didn't build them the same way he did.
Most of the 18, open bow e pumps that we did at Advantage were SMC powered. And not all of the 18s had an e pump, that was something Harry did to get sales going when Advantage was growing. Later 99.9% were JG pumps.

old rigger
09-02-2005, 10:14 AM
Victor,
are you talking about Harlan Orrin? He's down by you in Fallbrook. Does amazing work with wood boats and wood decks. He was one of THE guys back in the day for wood decks. Worked for Stevens, Mandella, and so on. He's still 'the' guy.
He was at the boat races in Long Beach again this year and he always brings a wood boat with him for display. This year he had an unrrestored hydro.
cool guy.
What's your post under in the vdrive section?

Newcastle
09-02-2005, 10:15 AM
I sold my '89 Bahner a year ago. Ran like a champ and had no problems whatsoever...
Good luck
http://www2.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/2185boat_9.JPG

Cole Trickle
09-02-2005, 10:34 AM
1987 Cole 20.5 I think
http://www2.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/2491cole2.JPG
brand new berkeley pump
new 496 BBC rated at 500hp by Superior auto in Anaheim (Needs to be tuned)
new gauges
New throttle/jet cables
Almost new interior
Almost new Carpet
Dual batteries
Good stereo with 2 12's, 6 speakers and disc changer
Good Gel
Cover
Ellis Trailer
You don't even want to know how much we have into this boat!!!
My dad would like to get close to $12,500 but I think he would take $11,000 to get it out of his side yard.
Let me know
Brandin

Cole Trickle
09-02-2005, 10:39 AM
http://www2.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/2491cole.JPG
http://www2.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/2491cole3.JPG

probablecause
09-02-2005, 11:42 AM
This is a little shorter than 18" but it is an open bow :messedup:
http://www2.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/1838Mississippi_BassBoat2.JPG

pebrown
09-02-2005, 11:54 AM
Hey guys, I'm a little late on the thread, I've heard of Rochelle. they were built in Oklahoma in '78-'79, then went out of business. The only ones I ever saw came with a Ford/berk JE pump. Taylor made a nice open bow based on their 21 LP hull. I have a NICE '81 Eliminator 20' Sport open bow, and I love mine. 454/berkley w/ a jetavator. I'll see if I can find a picture. Those "opens" are out there but are kind of a rare commodity. I'm located in Missouri by the way. Good Luck!

MBlaster
09-02-2005, 07:21 PM
http://www2.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/2491cole.JPG
http://www2.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/2491cole3.JPG
Sweet Cole...where's it at?

Cole Trickle
09-03-2005, 08:08 AM
Sweet Cole...where's it at?
Currently in Orange County, CA
We also have a place in Parker.

victorfb
09-03-2005, 09:35 AM
Victor,
are you talking about Harlan Orrin? He's down by you in Fallbrook. Does amazing work with wood boats and wood decks. He was one of THE guys back in the day for wood decks. Worked for Stevens, Mandella, and so on. He's still 'the' guy.
He was at the boat races in Long Beach again this year and he always brings a wood boat with him for display. This year he had an unrrestored hydro.
cool guy.
What's your post under in the vdrive section?
yep, thats him. seemed like a way cool dude. saw him parked in the tractor supply parking lot with a 52 (or around there) all mohogany boat behind the truck. he just refinished it and was ready for rigging. i took a few pics but havnt developed them yet. he told me about the hydro too. i believe he has about 14 boats at his place. he is down deluze canyon a bit, about 5-10 minutes from me. they do a little rod meet type thing every weekend here and he was bronging the boat to that to show it off. oh, and the post in v-drive section was called "Orrin Boats". im gunna have to scoot down there one of these days and check out his fleet and his shop, maybe get to listen to some stories too.
sorry for the hijack dan. :hammerhea

INFINITEJJ
09-03-2005, 04:10 PM
1975 19' TAHITI converted open bow jet. I'm selling it to my sister in law's boyfriend. If the deal falls thru i'll let you know. I love the boat, only selling so i can move up. Wish i could keep it AND buy a new one.
http://www2.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/486digi_1316-med.JPG

olbiezer
09-03-2005, 04:42 PM
dont know how many times i took water over the bow of my closed bow biesemeyer from large boat wakes......dont know if i would want a open bow myself......

Jetmugg
09-05-2005, 05:56 AM
I'm one of the guys who has owned a 19 CP Gullwing open bow. It was/is a beatiful boat, fast, fun, lots of room for a 19'. That boat is now in Alaska. The water over the bow problem is real, however. On many occasions, I took water over the bow from bigger boat wakes. That water gets EVERYWHERE. Under the seats, down into nooks and crannies that you don't even know exist until they are full of water. There were a couple of spots on the CP (along the outside edges of the Gullwing "tunnels") that would trap and hold water when it came over the bow. Very tough to get that water out, and could lead to musty smelling carpet if you didn't get it out.
That was the biggest down-side of the open bow gullwing. I suspect that other low profile open bows are similar.
SteveM.

Rocknpalms
09-05-2005, 06:36 AM
1975 19' TAHITI converted open bow jet. I'm selling it to my sister in law's boyfriend. If the deal falls thru i'll let you know. I love the boat, only selling so i can move up. Wish i could keep it AND buy a new one.
http://www2.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/486digi_1316-med.JPG
Let me know if the deal falls thru. This boat interests me.