PDA

View Full Version : motor storage

69 Elim
02-19-2002, 09:18 AM
What is the best way to prep a motor for storage when you're not planning on touching it for over a year. I've heard lots of rumors, now lets set it straight.

Tinkerboater
02-19-2002, 12:02 PM
What I do is change the oil and put marvel mystery oil in the cylinders and turn it over by hand then put the plugs back in and block off all openings. once a month you need to turn it over by hand is best or else you should back off the rocker arms so that there isn't any tension on the valve springs.

waterbum
02-19-2002, 08:30 PM
Gotta love that Marvel Mystery oil.I use it in everything I own.It works great in the fuel system and for storage purposes,not to mention it smells good.In my humble opinion Tinker gave very sound advice.I also spray the entire engine and outdrive with WD-40.Bum

Seth Livzz
02-19-2002, 09:19 PM
I just recently acquired a Jet boat with a BBC motor in it my Dad stored approx 8 years ago. He stored it exactly like the manual said to. He let the engine idle then slowly poured motor oil down the carb. Don't add too much cuz it'll kill the engine before you get enough oil in it to cover the cylinder walls. He gradually added more and more oil until it finally sputtered out. I thought he was nuts using this method until last summer (when i took control of the boat) we added a set of fresh spark plugs and it started right up after no more than 2 seconds of cranking. I then changed the oil, pulled the plugs, and had a look-see inside the cylinders expecting to see tons of either rust or carbon. It was clean as a whistle! I'm sure whatever little carbon there was got blown out when it was started. Make sure you either drain all the gas or add Stabil to it so it won't lacquer up the carb.

Tinkerboater
02-20-2002, 08:26 PM
Seth what you are discribing is how to winterize an engine ( I would still use MARVEL MYSTRY OIL because it will disolve gum and clean the engine and it will also stay stuck to the metal where regular oil will run off). If an engine sits for a long period of time without being turned over to a new spot on the crank the valve springs will be damaged and weakened by being compressed for so long. When you start the motor up it is possible that the valves that were open all that time will float at high rpm because of the weakened springs. AND WE ALL KNOW WHAT VALVE FLOAT DOES TO OUR VP CLEARANCE.
[This message has been edited by Tinkerboater (edited February 20, 2002).]

Seth Livzz
02-21-2002, 03:48 AM
So it might be possible that i may have to replace my valve springs after it being stored so long? I haven't had it out on the water yet to see how it runs at higher RPM yet.

Tinkerboater
02-21-2002, 07:01 PM
At the first sign of any misfire or funny noise at higher rpm back off the throttle.