PDA

View Full Version : 7.3 vs 6.0

victorfb
10-05-2003, 10:48 AM
i know this is not boat related but, does anyone have any info to share about the comparison between the Ford 7.3 to the 6.0 diesels?
from the factory the 6.0 is definatly out performing the 7.3 but, with a banks system on the 7.3 the motor absolutly comes alive. i spoke to a couple techs at Banks and the 6.0 is still in the R&D . and not sure if they will be able to get much more performance from it. did Ford take all banks tricks and add it to the new 6.0 and basicaly max it out? the 7.3 has been a proven motor but unfortunatly was mated to a 4 speed automatic that had its share of problems. now the 6.0 is having a couple problems but its mated to a good 5 speed automatic. so which is the better combo? and please people, i dont want to hear about the duramax, or the cummins, or any other of your favorites. i just want to keep this between the Ford 7.3 and the 6.0 . thanks... :D

blown540flattie
10-05-2003, 11:45 AM
I have all three. The 7.3 idi w/turbo , 7.3 di and the 6.0. Between all of the they have had thier fair share of problems. 6.0 oil leaks rolling idle and so on. But let me tell ya the 6.0 is bad axx. It has alot of more potential. Ford holds some of the good stuff back in the beginning and the boosts hp and tq down the production line. The 6.0 is a new design, they ALL have problems. Ford will work them out.
[ October 05, 2003, 09:42 PM: Message edited by: blown540flattie ]

OMEGA_BUBBLE_JET
10-06-2003, 05:10 AM
I heard the new 6.0's are bad about dropping injectors.........my advice give em a couple more years to work the bugs out.
Omega

rrrr
10-06-2003, 08:00 AM
I'm having some troubles with the 6.0 in my Excursion. So far they have replaced an injector and a shift solenoid in the tranny. The ECU was reprogrammed in an attempt to fix a couple of issues, but it's not quite right. Ford has been promising a new flash program will be ready any day now.
All that aside, the truck is totally bad ass. It gets 15-17 MPG in town, and the 5 speed pulls like crazy. I've even done some stoplight mashes with Chebbies and dusted 'em off! :D
I think in a few more months this stuff will all be fixed. I would wait for the all clear signal and then buzz on down to the dealer and order one....

COELIMINATOR
10-06-2003, 08:19 AM
The 6.0 runs like a 7.3 with mild chip. After 9-29-03 the run problems are supposed to be "fixed". The 6.0 is "Mod" friendly. It takes the Edge or Quadzilla enhancement very well (it runs like crazy). One factor that really helps the 6.0 is the 5R55 transmission that Ford is using. It works great and seems to have a real good track record. I am sure someone will adapt one to the earlier 7.3 and that will be interesting. We have been told that the 6.0 can not be "bombed" like the 7.3s. Some are saying there is more performance available in the 7.3 than the 6.0. This is similar to what you heard from Banks. Time will tell, for as we speak many after market people are working on the performance enhancements that will enable the 6.0 to show its "Muscle".