PDA

View Full Version : Help with First Boat

DLane
09-01-2005, 07:28 AM
I know this is a very general question, and it shows how little I know.
I retired a year ago, and my wife and I will be relocating to coastal Oregon where we bought a place on a small lake. There are many larger lakes in the immediate area, as well as a good salmon river.
I've been researching boats for about a month on the internet, and I've been overwhelmed by all of the data. What I'm hoping to get are your recommendations for size and brand of boat, based on what I can tell you about its anticipated use.
I'll be using the boat for fishing primarily, on a number of lakes. I'll have to trailer it frequently, so it can't be too large. Size is also governed by my budget. I can afford no more than $25K.
The boat will be used occasionally for family outings when the kids and grandkids come to visit.
Thank you for any general advice or guidance, or for any specific recommendations regarding style, motor, drive, etc. I am really a beginner.

Outnumbered
09-01-2005, 07:49 AM
I retired a year ago, and my wife and I will be relocating to coastal Oregon where we bought a place on a small lake. There are many larger lakes in the immediate area, as well as a good salmon river.
I've been researching boats for about a month on the internet, and I've been overwhelmed by all of the data. What I'm hoping to get are your recommendations for size and brand of boat, based on what I can tell you about its anticipated use.
I'll be using the boat for fishing primarily, on a number of lakes. I'll have to trailer it frequently, so it can't be too large. Size is also governed by my budget. I can afford no more than $25K.
The boat will be used occasionally for family outings when the kids and grandkids come to visit.
Thank you for any general advice or guidance, or for any specific recommendations regarding style, motor, drive, etc. I am really a beginner.
I would get a used good quality Bass boat like a Ranger. Maybe 5 years old. Get at least a 150 motor so the kids and grand kids can ski, wake, and tube. Be sure to get at least a 21' so it will ride nice and have plenty of room. A tandem trailer is a must for safe towing. Outboards are pretty easy to maintain and seem to run forever.
The other option that I would recommend would be a used Tri-Toon, 18'-24' with at least a 200 motor. The Tri-Toons plane well and you can ski/tube/wake behing them. Tons of room and they are good for fishing unless you are a hardcore Bass-pro looking to get into the tight spots.
Good luck.

BarryMac
09-01-2005, 07:52 AM
The other option that I would recommend would be a used Tri-Toon, 18'-24' with at least a 200 motor. The Tri-Toons plane well and you can ski/tube/wake behing them. Tons of room and they are good for fishing unless you are a hardcore Bass-pro looking to get into the tight spots.
Good luck.
I would agree with this, a Pontoon would be a perfect boat, you can find a really nice one within your budget. Good Luck and welcome to the Boating world...

cdog
09-01-2005, 07:56 AM
Wait a couple of more months to buy. I'd bet prices will go down as people will reliaze that their cheap get away weekend in the boat will cost them as much as a carribean cruise. Good Luck.

Outnumbered
09-01-2005, 08:08 AM
Wait a couple of more months to buy. I'd bet prices will go down as people will reliaze that their cheap get away weekend in the boat will cost them as much as a carribean cruise. Good Luck.
Ya, but don't those cruise ships run on diesel? :sqeyes:

voodoomedman
09-01-2005, 08:30 AM
I would get a used good quality Bass boat like a Ranger. Maybe 5 years old. Get at least a 150 motor so the kids and grand kids can ski, wake, and tube. Be sure to get at least a 21' so it will ride nice and have plenty of room. A tandem trailer is a must for safe towing. Outboards are pretty easy to maintain and seem to run forever.
Good luck.
What he said.

a catered life
09-01-2005, 08:48 AM
Good luck.
great answer but wait until the boating season slows down (oct-feb)you will see a huge drop in price and a huge increase in boats available good luck and play safe

mirvin
09-01-2005, 09:33 AM
I don't know fellas....this seems like a perfect scenario for one of those "Ski & Fish" combos...
I think Larson, Glastron, etc. makes them. Open bow converts to a deck and the two captains chairs mount on the front and rear deck and they are great for skiing and family outings too. They even have a custom mount for a trolling motor.
A friend of mine has one....that's how I know.
mirvin ;)

DCBob
09-01-2005, 10:31 AM
I don't know fellas....this seems like a perfect scenario for one of those "Ski & Fish" combos...
I think Larson, Glastron, etc. makes them. Open bow converts to a deck and the two captains chairs mount on the front and rear deck and they are great for skiing and family outings too. They even have a custom mount for a trolling motor.
A friend of mine has one....that's how I know.
mirvin ;)
And spend the time to take a boater safety course. Too many people out there w/boats, jet skis, etc don't have a clue about rules of the road, simple boating courtsey cleaning up after theirselves and generally keeping their family, friends and others safe. Some of the best people you will meet and the best times you will have will be after you start boating if you just get the above. It's just as important as what kind of boat to buy :hammer2: Good luck and safe/happy boating :D