PDA

View Full Version : 496 water pump

phebus
05-08-2006, 06:22 AM
It's time to replace the impeller again, but when I replaced it last year, the body and end cap were getting pretty scored, so it's time to replace the entire seawater pump.
So, any suggestions on the place with the best price? I know a company was coming out with a replacement that was supposed to be far superior, but I haven't seen anything yet, so I guess I will have to go with the Merc pump.

caroftheweek
05-08-2006, 06:32 AM
i think the company is R&R in havasu. Chad @ Magic was telling me about it. we were planning on doing one in our boat but the house ended up being ok. sorry i don't have anymore info.
Ryan

Not So Fast
05-08-2006, 06:33 AM
It's time to replace the impeller again, but when I replaced it last year, the body and end cap were getting pretty scored, so it's time to replace the entire seawater pump.
So, any suggestions on the place with the best price? I know a company was coming out with a replacement that was supposed to be far superior, but I haven't seen anything yet, so I guess I will have to go with the Merc pump.
I hope you find an after market one Rick because the factory one is ridiculously priced, what were they thinking :idea: Oh I know, more money. Seriously, thats why I never power off when beached anymore and we just did my impeller and very little damage to the brass, whew. NSF

Throttle
05-08-2006, 06:35 AM
Yep, rs... merc is it I think... a real biatch to get er done too... a little scoring is okay but since its brass now you should replace the whole thing... prolly gonna b about 500 bucks...

caroftheweek
05-08-2006, 06:43 AM
Phebus:
i will be calling Chad this morning sometime. i will get a name and number for you when i speak to him.

phebus
05-08-2006, 06:44 AM
I know the end cap can be resurfaced, but it's a shame no one makes a stainless insert that can be installed in the body.

phebus
05-08-2006, 06:45 AM
Phebus:
i will be calling Chad this morning sometime. i will get a name and number for you when i speak to him.
That would be great,
Thanks

BadKachina
05-08-2006, 07:15 AM
KPM makes a replacement housing for the regular Bravo style water pumps. Hardin Marine does too, I'm not sure that either of them will work on the 496 style pump. CP sells the Hardin, you can ask them, and Trick Marine sells KPM.
Your stock replacement pump is part # 46-862914A2, that should be a complete kit, retail is $329.00.
Impeller only is part # 47-862232A2, for $32.00 retail.

jbtrailerjim
05-08-2006, 07:16 AM
R & R Products sells a impeller kit. I bought a kit but have not put it in yet. Their ph# is (928)453-6411. Talk to Russ.

C-2
05-08-2006, 07:18 AM
My neighbor had his impeller housing machined; cost him $50 and 2 years later still works great.
I guess having the oldschool, multi-part housings is a good thing :)

dm25advantage
05-08-2006, 10:55 AM
I Had My Machine Last Year And It Works Great. I Would Resurface It Until U Can't Do It Anymore Than Hopfully Someone Comes Out With A Aftermarket Kit.

dm25advantage
05-08-2006, 10:55 AM
I Had My Machine Last Year And It Works Great. I Would Resurface It Until U Can't Do It Anymore Than Hopefully Someone Comes Out With A Aftermarket Kit.

SummitKarl
05-08-2006, 11:28 AM
Hey Rick
try to find one at home, HAVASU IS OUT OF STOCK
I have 2 friends looking for one now and no luck :rolleyes:
all the usual places are out of stock

phebus
05-08-2006, 11:50 AM
Thanks Karl, will do. I may just put it off for a little while. I just replaced it mid season last year, and the boat is running cool. It's just that I like to stay on top of it, as I do beach the boat and I'm sure the sand on start up takes it toll on the impeller.
I've never had one go bad though, so I guess I change them often enough.

SummitKarl
05-08-2006, 02:04 PM
Thanks Karl, will do. I may just put it off for a little while. I just replaced it mid season last year, and the boat is running cool. It's just that I like to stay on top of it, as I do beach the boat and I'm sure the sand on start up takes it toll on the impeller.
I've never had one go bad though, so I guess I change them often enough.
yup thats the first thing that crossed my mind, you must use the engine to back off from beaching, the engine in my new boat must have been 1/3 full of beach sand.....HUMMMM!!!! I wonder why it was running hot :rolleyes:
and my neighbor with the same boat just cooked his engine from this.
scratched water pump housing tells you sand/debris is being put in the engine.
the result (over time) is steam out the exhaust and you still have plenty of water flow out the exhaust.
after discovering this, I decided to try a old FORD trick and put a $20 inline GANNO filter on the water inlet. so after about 12 running hrs and 4 beachings guess what.......it was full and I had to empty it, but one hose clamp sure is alot easier than one complete motor.
this is a trick I use on my cars it keeps junk out of the radiator and it seems to work well on the boat, and when your running temp starts to climb, it's time to empty the filter