PDA

View Full Version : Lake McClure info wanted (Merced)

Spotondl
09-02-2005, 07:21 AM
Heading up to Lake McClure for the Labor Day weekend and was looking for tips and such since I have never been there... Places to go, things to see, things to be wary of, etc...
Thanks.
Rich

MOBrien
09-02-2005, 09:49 AM
Just went to McClure for our first time back in June. We really enjoyed it. It's fairly narrow but seems to be pretty long. We never saw either end and were out there for two solid days....but we float a lot. The lake stayed pretty calm while we were there and never got rough because it's pretty well sheltered from wind....at least when we were there. As well, it seems that it's far enough of the beaten path that it doesn't get too crowded on a regular weekend....not sure what it will be like on the holiday. But June is obviously a big boating month and the place was pretty quiet...which was nice. It was full too. Probably less water now, but nothing to be concerned about. As far as I know, not much to do there and not much to see.....just camp, boat, & have a great time. We never made it to the "marina", so I don't know what ammenities are available there. Gotta imagine fuel will be very costly there if they even have lakeside pumps, so get it before heading up the hill.
Have a great time....if you like the smaller lakes you'll like McClure.
-MOB

Eliminator 4 Life
09-02-2005, 10:21 AM
McClure sucks the real boats will be at PEDRO :p :cool: Naw its a cool lake have a great weekend :)

UltraStealth
09-02-2005, 11:43 AM
Have to agree with E4L, Don Pedro is better. McClure is still a great lake. It has a lot of similarities to DP. McClure always seems to be less crowded than DP. You should have a good time, weather and water are perfect up there. Just got back from DP last Thursday.

230EAGLE
09-02-2005, 12:02 PM
We love the lake. Fully stocked marina, really good lunches. Not a whole lot of idoits on the lake. Go all the back in the river, alot of white sand beaches. :)

bocco
09-02-2005, 12:03 PM
Remember, Mclure is a directional lake. You've got to stay to the right. I havn't been there in a while but I've heard the sheriff is very enthusiastic.

MOBrien
09-02-2005, 02:13 PM
Remember, Mclure is a directional lake. You've got to stay to the right. I havn't been there in a while but I've heard the sheriff is very enthusiastic.
ooooops. never knew that. no bouys to tell you like they have at Naci.

Eliminator 4 Life
09-02-2005, 03:52 PM
We love the lake. Fully stocked marina, really good lunches. Not a whole lot of idoits on the lake. Go all the back in the river, alot of white sand beaches. :)
white sandy beaches what have you been smoking you make it sound like its Mexico or something :supp:

Eliminator 4 Life
09-02-2005, 03:53 PM
Have to agree with E4L, Don Pedro is better. McClure is still a great lake. It has a lot of similarities to DP. McClure always seems to be less crowded than DP. You should have a good time, weather and water are perfect up there. Just got back from DP last Thursday.
Man I have been there the last two weekends next time you head up you better let someone know :D

77charger
09-02-2005, 04:33 PM
we use to go there years ago when my parents had a house in merced.about 80-84 i dont remember sand beaches but mud beaches yes.I agree don pedro was real nice i went there once pretty big from what i remember.
we mainly boated yosemite lake back then it was free then went to a buck to use the boat there(was a big deal then but i lookl back and laugh now)Water was always cold but it was only 4 miles for us
back then my dad wanted to try all the lakes nearby so we went to alot.we were only use to perris,pyramid,puddingstone mud pit and castaic.Nor cal was freedom

sam pioske
09-02-2005, 07:43 PM
House boat [G Raft] stop by and have a cold one, Mcclure small - 1.2 m acre feet ain't small, one of the states larger lakes, but don't tell anybody!

Spotondl
09-02-2005, 10:48 PM
Thanks for all the info and opinions... I am kinda looking forward to trying something new... hope the beaches aren't all mud though... Will keep and eye out for G-Raft :D ...