PDA

View Full Version : So here's a stupid question Regarding Gulf Coast Disaster

jdogginla
09-02-2005, 11:16 AM
Why the hell are we not drop shipping supplies......i.e water, food, mre's etc?
WTF?!@%$ Someone give a reasonable explanation for this?

topless
09-02-2005, 11:20 AM
yesterday i said something about the government kinda seems like they dropped the ball a bit,i got bashed and removed my posts. :confused:And you still will. What did the government do? Create the hurricane? :messedup: :lightsabe

riverroyal
09-02-2005, 11:20 AM
here we go again,,,knew i shouldnt have said anything

riverroyal
09-02-2005, 11:21 AM
it just seems slow going now,thats all

jdogginla
09-02-2005, 11:22 AM
I get bashed here all the time for those type of remarks............and yes I did mean air dropp'n.
Seems like a reasonable solution to relieve some of the immediate tensions.

topless
09-02-2005, 11:23 AM
here we go again,,,knew i shouldnt have said anything
I'm just reading every one of your posts so I can find something wrong with it. :D :D (thats a joke ya know)

riverroyal
09-02-2005, 11:25 AM
for that,Im not in any position to solve problems,just speaking my mind,I dont come here to debate with people,really not worth it......i will say that I knew 4 days before it hit the beach it was gonna be the worse hurricane to ever hit that area,and i live in socal,guess no one heard that

riverroyal
09-02-2005, 11:27 AM
i still love ya,i actually turned the TV off,it was bumming out.Getting hard to watch,I saw the footage of that guy dead on the freeway,kinda freaked me out a bit

bigq
09-02-2005, 11:28 AM
Maybe it has something to do with being shot down? :eek:
They had to stop evacuating people for that reason.
Good example of Anarchy. :eek:

riverroyal
09-02-2005, 11:29 AM
poor pilots,just trying to help

bigq
09-02-2005, 11:34 AM
They said a lot of those reports were already being considered urban myths. I saw that on CNN a few hours ago.
Huh, who knew. It was plastered all over the place. Cops being shot at, busses being hijacked. One was a live report from a channel 7 reporter there. He said he walked out and there was guys riding in backs of trucks holding rifles and saying"kill the cops". I guess the news can get out of hand. :notam:

topless
09-02-2005, 11:40 AM
You should turn on a news program sometime. Bush and the government are getting blasted. Not by the liberal media either. The New Hampshire Union Leader wrote a scathing editorial that appeared in today's paper. The NHUL is one of the most conservative newspapers in the country, if not the most.I get all my news right here. :crossx:

riverroyal
09-02-2005, 11:42 AM
just ate a quesadilla,looking for my pepsid now

topless
09-02-2005, 11:43 AM
just ate a quesadilla,looking for my pepsid nowGood to know, I'll pass the word on if ya want me to. ;)

Schiada76
09-02-2005, 11:44 AM
In REAL defense of the President and the federal government.
This was no surprise to anyone, it's been predicted for the last 100 years or more. It was a cat 1 when it hit Florida and a cat 5 a few days later. Relief efforts were well underway before it hit. You want to blame someone? Blame the state and local govt (which is notoriously corrupt) for not having a better plan in place, blame the state for not having the National Guard in place. Don't blame the feds or the POTUS. Unlees of course like all liberal scum you think he's actually God. :D

jdogginla
09-02-2005, 11:45 AM
I work in television and entertainment...........as much as it may pain you, our news is telecasted more as entertainment than just straight hard facts and information.
The president ended his vacation yesterday a day early. This disaster happened on monday! Our government has not handled this correctly, and now needs to expediate what ever plan they have. Our government has the ability to ship and fly military men to rescue russians trapped at the bottom of the ocean in heartbeat, but can not put into plan something to help the immediate tensions? And I stress immediate tensions.......this disaster will need a long well thought out plan and execution, but there are things that can be done to help those people that are standing in 6ft of sewage or sitting on rooftops still.

riverroyal
09-02-2005, 11:47 AM
thats a real loose word,local gov,state gov etc.During the white house briefing this morning they already said there was going to be a "investigation" on why the responce has been slow

slink
09-02-2005, 11:48 AM
Why the hell are we not drop shipping supplies......i.e water, food, mre's etc?
WTF?!@%$ Someone give a reasonable explanation for this?
last I heard they were shooting at the helicopter :idea:

Schiada76
09-02-2005, 11:48 AM
The states cannot command the National Guard to appear, they are a federal instrument.
They have to request them to be deployed.

Schiada76
09-02-2005, 11:50 AM
Blame Blame Blame
If I lived 10 to 15 feet below sea level and a cat 5 was headed my way with a predicted storm surge of over 20' ABOVE sea level my ass is wayyyyyyyyyyyy out of the way.

riverroyal
09-02-2005, 11:51 AM
most people in that city are poor,they dont own cars,or have money to just leave,so this is the result.

Schiada76
09-02-2005, 11:52 AM
Yes, and that's not what you said.
I didn't tell you how to put your underwear on this morning either. I'll assume you managed.
You don't read very well, I said it's more of a state and local issue, you just backed it up. THE STATE GOVT should have requsted the guard days before the storm.
Not POTUS

OutCole'd
09-02-2005, 11:53 AM
In defense of President Bush, he was still finishing up his 5 week vacation. :D
LMAO !! :D

riverroyal
09-02-2005, 11:54 AM
you still heading south saturday???JB gonna have his speedo on i heard

Schiada76
09-02-2005, 11:57 AM
OK, blame the victims.
If my house was situated on a major fault line or overlooking a cliff near the ocean, I'd just move.
Earthquakes and landslides come without warning, not five to ten days advance notice like a storm. :hammerhea :hammerhea

OutCole'd
09-02-2005, 12:03 PM
you still heading south saturday???JB gonna have his speedo on i heard
http://www2.***boat.com/forums/showthread.php?t=90785

Schiada76
09-02-2005, 12:05 PM
I assure you, I read and write quite well. Just worry about yourself.
I apologize. It's the comprehension that's the obvious problem

Schiada76
09-02-2005, 12:07 PM
Semantics. The warning signs are certainly there, some people just choose to bury their heads in the sand and pretend they don't see them.
BBBBBBBBBBAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHA!
Semantics!
BBBBBBAAAAAAAAAHAHAHAHA!

jdogginla
09-02-2005, 12:21 PM
I'm with SWB on this one........ :notam:

FHI-prez
09-02-2005, 12:23 PM
I realize that not everyone has cars and could leave. Although I have seen a striking amount of cars in 4 or more feet of water. Am I the only one? Soooooooooooo, let me get this straight. The mayor and others tell everyone to leave. Some do, some don't. THEN for the ones who don't you want to drop MORE stuff for them people to fight and kill each other over when they are trying to get them to LEAVE still! You don't drop in supplies to help people stay where they are when you are trying to get them to leave. They will just end up fighting over it, and/or getting diseases with a full stomach from all the contaminated water/enviroment. Help them get out of the city, if they refuse, let them die. If they shoot at you, shoot back to kill. This is what happens when people get scared. So much for all the prayers LMAO!
If you can't tell, I'm not a people person. :D
Nor am I a religeous man. Thank God! :jawdrop:

topless
09-02-2005, 12:25 PM
I realize that not everyone has cars and could leave. Although I have seen a striking amount of cars in 4 or more feet of water. Am I the only one? Soooooooooooo, let me get this straight. The mayor and others tell everyone to leave. Some do, some don't. THEN for the ones who don't you want to drop MORE stuff for them people to fight and kill each other over when they are trying to get them to LEAVE still! You don't drop in supplies to help people stay where they are when you are trying to get them to leave. They will just end up fighting over it, and/or getting diseases with a full stomach from all the contaminated water/enviroment. Help them get out of the city, if they refuse, let them die. If they shoot at you, shoot back to kill. This is what happens when people get scared. So much for all the prayers LMAO!
If you can't tell, I'm not a people person. :D
Nor am I a religeous man. Thank God! :jawdrop:Well at least you are compassionate.

MagicMtnDan
09-02-2005, 12:31 PM
Why no air drops? You ever see the videos of the people in Africa getting food dropped in to them? Ever see the videos of Somalia? That's why you can't just drop food and water in!
Do you have any idea how huge this disaster is? How many square miles of devastation and how many people are affected? It's not just downtown New Orleans.
This is the largest (scale-wise) disaster to ever hit this country. You don't (can't) just drop a few thousand tons of food, water, clothing, etc. to everyone affected in the first days.
This is a HUGE problem and it will take time. The TV reporters aren't in places where the power is coming back on and things are getting better - they're where it's the worst and they're showing it 24/7. :devil:

FHI-prez
09-02-2005, 12:43 PM
I'm very consistent tho, I hate everyone equally. :cool:

Schiada76
09-02-2005, 12:48 PM
I'm with SWB on this one........ :notam:
Umm, How so?
The part about how if GW cut his "vacation" shorter none of this would have happened?

sdpm
09-02-2005, 01:09 PM
O.K. on a lighter note, well maybe not, does anyone know the weight capacity of those cables on those helo's? Some of those women look pretty big! :jawdrop: How about a 6'3" man with a 27" color T.V.. What do you think that weights?

jdogginla
09-02-2005, 02:00 PM
CNN.........just reported that a Navy ship from Virgina will arrive late tomorrow and begin air dropping supplies to those towns on the gulf coast that they can not get to.
Glad to hear that some people will get a lil bit of relief.

Seadog
09-03-2005, 06:10 AM
The governor of a state can activate its National Guard at any time unless they are already under federal activation. Louisianna probably did not do this because when the Guard is acitvated by the state, the state pays their salaries. Air dropping to a remote area is one thing. Air dropping into a crowded city is asking for disaster. And, even in the wrappings, if water and food comes into contact with the flood waters, it cannot be considered safe.
The main fault lies with the the corrupt city administration. They did not have supplies stockpiled for their people, they did not have any type of emergency communication system, no provisions were made before or after the storm to get people out and the city ignored many of the tenants of emergency planning. They received a huge part of the Homeland Security funding and yet, their cops and officials only had one police channel and walkie talkies for communications. They were telling people to go places and making no provisions to receive them or provide supplies. FEMA is blamed for not getting supplies to the convention center, but FEMA only found out they were there from the television.
As much as I love the city, it is a cesspool of humanity. The dregs of society find their way there. You have doped up gangs shooting at will, the cops are overwhelmed and underarmed. The cops are leaving, rather than be shot. The bus drivers that are needed to haul the people out, are refusing to go in.
This is a state and city failure, not a federal failure. The feds are also taking care of Gulfport, Biloxi and Mobile. They had to stage everything into safe areas until the storm went through. At first, it looked like the damage at NO was secondary to Mississippi and they concentrated on that. When the dikes failed, FEMA had to bring in additional assets or divert some from other areas.
And criticizing teh President for 'being on vacation' is asinine. Anyone with half a brain, is fully aware that in today's world, there is no difference between what the President can do in Texas versus what he can do Washington. He was closer to the situation in Texas.

DCBob
09-03-2005, 06:43 AM
The governor of a state can activate its National Guard at any time unless they are already under federal activation. Louisianna probably did not do this because when the Guard is acitvated by the state, the state pays their salaries. Air dropping to a remote area is one thing. Air dropping into a crowded city is asking for disaster. And, even in the wrappings, if water and food comes into contact with the flood waters, it cannot be considered safe.
The main fault lies with the the corrupt city administration. They did not have supplies stockpiled for their people, they did not have any type of emergency communication system, no provisions were made before or after the storm to get people out and the city ignored many of the tenants of emergency planning. They received a huge part of the Homeland Security funding and yet, their cops and officials only had one police channel and walkie talkies for communications. They were telling people to go places and making no provisions to receive them or provide supplies. FEMA is blamed for not getting supplies to the convention center, but FEMA only found out they were there from the television. As much as I love the city, it is a cesspool of humanity. The dregs of society find their way there. You have doped up gangs shooting at will, the cops are overwhelmed and underarmed. The cops are leaving, rather than be shot. The bus drivers that are needed to haul the people out, are refusing to go in.
This is a state and city failure, not a federal failure. The feds are also taking care of Gulfport, Biloxi and Mobile. They had to stage everything into safe areas until the storm went through. At first, it looked like the damage at NO was secondary to Mississippi and they concentrated on that. When the dikes failed, FEMA had to bring in additional assets or divert some from other areas.
And criticizing teh President for 'being on vacation' is asinine. Anyone with half a brain, is fully aware that in today's world, there is no difference between what the President can do in Texas versus what he can do Washington. He was closer to the situation in Texas.
Still it's a scarry thought....Billions dumped into the new Homeland Security Deal and all other governmental agencies and w/a disaster of these proportions they can't get food, water and porta shitters into some of these locations faster than they are doing. What if it were of larger scale proportions than it is? Sounds like more empty suits in new agencies with huge tax funded budgets that can't get it done when called upon :confused: My .02

oldbuck40
09-03-2005, 07:02 AM
I work in television and entertainment...........as much as it may pain you, our news is telecasted more as entertainment than just straight hard facts and information.
The president ended his vacation yesterday a day early. This disaster happened on monday! Our government has not handled this correctly, and now needs to expediate what ever plan they have. Our government has the ability to ship and fly military men to rescue russians trapped at the bottom of the ocean in heartbeat, but can not put into plan something to help the immediate tensions? And I stress immediate tensions.......this disaster will need a long well thought out plan and execution, but there are things that can be done to help those people that are standing in 6ft of sewage or sitting on rooftops still.boo hoo all the people standing in sewer! if i recall they told them to get out b/4 it hit and they had time but elected to stay and now they want to blame somebody else for their mistake. thats typical of those kinda of people!

Ion
09-03-2005, 08:01 AM
You should turn on a news program sometime. Bush and the government are getting blasted. Not by the liberal media either. The New Hampshire Union Leader wrote a scathing editorial that appeared in today's paper. The NHUL is one of the most conservative newspapers in the country, if not the most.
Interesting bit on partisanship: G-Dub just had a broadcast from Mobile, AL where he was flanked by governors from Mississippi and Alabama, both (R). They both had nothing but rave reviews about the efforts being made to address the situation, but...the governor of Louisana and the mayor of N.O., both liberals who were not present, did nothing but dis the efforts.

jbone
09-03-2005, 08:21 AM
I heard on the radio this morning that tons of rescue and relief personnel, equipment and supplies were staged in some town in Mississippi prior to Katrina.
They are being help up due to no vehicle access to the area. Bridges and roads are not there anymore, and those that are are completely obstructed.
It could take weeks before any real relief is able to reach the problem areas.
If the people still there stopped acting like animals and worked together, emergency personnel still there would be able to do their job. However, they are being shot at by the gangs that purposly stayed behing to benefit from the chaos.
I'm pissed!

H20 Toie
09-03-2005, 08:44 AM
When i left on Sun there were National Guard trucks coming into town, Understand they did not have 5 days notice, the storm trackers had it turning up the coast of Florida until friday night, then on sat morning they said it may hit on monday, Sat afternoon is when we got the word to get out. then the airlines cancelled all the flights on sunday,
The thing i don't understand is why the able people don't just walk out, it is not like there is a current, the people that can't walk is one thing but all these people hanging out waiting for someone to save them, save themselves.
There are alot of needy people there but there a also a lot of people that are just being stupid.

Riverkid
09-03-2005, 08:46 AM
If it wasn't bad enough, now the looters are starting to burn large complexes (like a mall). The FD could reach the scene but were driven away by "rioters" so they were forced to let it burn.
Additional AP reports New Orleans LEO's are turning in their badges, stating they have lost their homes as well and feel no real need to go into the hazardous city areas and get shot at? The NG is amassing so I am fairly sure once those guys get staked out there, most of this crap will be stopped so the real work can begin, albeity with a level of safety to all those responding...
Sad times. :frown: