PDA

View Full Version : bomb the hurican ....

lucky
09-02-2005, 11:59 AM
i have a question - when katrina was out to sea why could we have not bombed it with a boomer ? altering the storm ? what would be the pro, cons ? vs the aftermath - other than the radiation - would this seem so outrages ?
yea call me a moron or what ever - i don't care

PHX ATC
09-02-2005, 12:00 PM
Moron. Just kidding.
Uneducated guess, but I'm sure the aftermath of radiation would be far worse than any act of God. Besides, I don't think that would've altered the course of a hurricane by just walloping it with a split atom or 2.

uvindex
09-02-2005, 12:02 PM
From the National Hurricane Center:
Subject: C5c) Why don't we try to destroy tropical cyclones by nuking them?
During each hurricane season, there always appear suggestions that one should simply use nuclear weapons to try and destroy the storms. Apart from the fact that this might not even alter the storm, this approach neglects the problem that the released radioactive fallout would fairly quickly move with the tradewinds to affect land areas and cause devastating environmental problems. Needless to say, this is not a good idea.
Now for a more rigorous scientific explanation of why this would not be an effective hurricane modification technique. The main difficulty with using explosives to modify hurricanes is the amount of energy required. A fully developed hurricane can release heat energy at a rate of 5 to 20x1013 watts and converts less than 10% of the heat into the mechanical energy of the wind. The heat release is equivalent to a 10-megaton nuclear bomb exploding every 20 minutes. According to the 1993 World Almanac, the entire human race used energy at a rate of 1013 watts in 1990, a rate less than 20% of the power of a hurricane.
If we think about mechanical energy, the energy at humanity's disposal is closer to the storm's, but the task of focusing even half of the energy on a spot in the middle of a remote ocean would still be formidable. Brute force interference with hurricanes doesn't seem promising.
In addition, an explosive, even a nuclear explosive, produces a shock wave, or pulse of high pressure, that propagates away from the site of the explosion somewhat faster than the speed of sound. Such an event doesn't raise the barometric pressure after the shock has passed because barometric pressure in the atmosphere reflects the weight of the air above the ground. For normal atmospheric pressure, there are about ten metric tons (1000 kilograms per ton) of air bearing down on each square meter of surface. In the strongest hurricanes there are nine. To change a Category 5 hurricane into a Category 2 hurricane you would have to add about a half ton of air for each square meter inside the eye, or a total of a bit more than half a billion (500,000,000) tons for a 20 km radius eye. It's difficult to envision a practical way of moving that much air around.
Attacking weak tropical waves or depressions before they have a chance to grow into hurricanes isn't promising either. About 80 of these disturbances form every year in the Atlantic basin, but only about 5 become hurricanes in a typical year. There is no way to tell in advance which ones will develop. If the energy released in a tropical disturbance were only 10% of that released in a hurricane, it's still a lot of power, so that the hurricane police would need to dim the whole world's lights many times a year.

lucky
Moron. Just kidding.
Uneducated guess, but I'm sure the aftermath of radiation would be far worse than any act of God. Besides, I don't think that would've altered the course of a hurricane by just walloping it with a split atom or 2.
yea but think of the fun we can have with this thread :crossx:

topless
yea call me a moron or what ever - i don't careI don't want to call you names but if you insist! Moron :D

lucky
09-02-2005, 12:06 PM
lol I new bush should haved gotten rid of the nukes and invested in DR Evils plan of world domination via buhahahahah the hurican reighn machine -- buhahahaaha
bush is such a looser ---
we never had this problem with clinton -- :D

lucky
09-02-2005, 12:08 PM
i knew you fine people of hot boat would edumacate a hillbilly like me :cool:

lucky
09-02-2005, 12:08 PM
I don't want to call you names but if you insist! Moron :D
and thats MR to you babe .

topless
09-02-2005, 12:59 PM
and thats MR to you babe .
Ok, Mr Moron

ao/al2
09-02-2005, 01:11 PM
Now were talking .........do you guys think we could talk to someone in palmsprings to turn in there direction those big fans they have over there and lets blow the hurricane away. lol :cool:

Delta Jets
09-02-2005, 01:22 PM
Hey ya'll its not a problem to stop the hurricane's i heard it on tv Robert Kennedy said it was caused by George Bush & our Gov'na Haley Barbour so why don't we just tell them to stop it do not do that anymore wa la no more hurricane's simple solution :idea:

topless
09-02-2005, 01:28 PM
Hey ya'll its not a problem to stop the hurricane's i heard it on tv Robert Kennedy said it was caused by George Bush & our Gov'na Haley Barbour so why don't we just tell them to stop it do not do that anymore wa la no more hurricane's simple solution :idea:Can someone translate this for me please? :confused:

lucky
09-02-2005, 01:29 PM
i think we should put this in the political retorical , as there are more blow hards on that thread --

Delta Jets
09-02-2005, 01:39 PM
Well i saw it on fox last night and a Kennedy said it so it must be true

topless
09-02-2005, 01:41 PM
Well i saw it on fox last night and a Kennedy said it so it must be trueNow I know it's true because I just read it here. :D

Delta Jets
09-02-2005, 01:44 PM
That does it then lets get the cards and letters rolling to tell them to stop making hurricanes then i know the county is behind me on this LOL

Jordy
09-02-2005, 01:45 PM
Why not just build a big hurricane proof fence all along the coast to keep them out??? :jawdrop: :confused: :D

Delta Jets
09-02-2005, 01:46 PM
No No his son the one that flies all over the world burning fossil fuel telling everybody what a bad thing it is

Jordy
09-02-2005, 01:47 PM
Another idea stolen from Robert Kennedy. :D They could use the fence they use to keep illegals out. :D
Whatever. I didn't see him post it. :D

Sleek-Jet
09-02-2005, 01:47 PM
Why not just build a big hurricane proof fence all along the coast to keep them out??? :jawdrop: :confused: :D
Where would all the cheap weather come from then??? Our economy would collapse... :rolleyes: :rollside: :D

Jordy
09-02-2005, 01:48 PM
Where would all the cheap weather come from then??? Our economy would collapse... :rolleyes: :rollside: :D
Idiot. Gosh!!!! The high gas prices and heated diesel from Flying J would keep everything rolling. :hammer2: :hammerhea :cool: :D

Debbolas
09-02-2005, 01:50 PM
From the National Hurricane Center:
Subject: C5c) Why don't we try to destroy tropical cyclones by nuking them?
During each hurricane season, there always appear suggestions that one should simply use nuclear weapons to try and destroy the storms. Apart from the fact that this might not even alter the storm, this approach neglects the problem that the released radioactive fallout would fairly quickly move with the tradewinds to affect land areas and cause devastating environmental problems. Needless to say, this is not a good idea.
Now for a more rigorous scientific explanation of why this would not be an effective hurricane modification technique. The main difficulty with using explosives to modify hurricanes is the amount of energy required. A fully developed hurricane can release heat energy at a rate of 5 to 20x1013 watts and converts less than 10% of the heat into the mechanical energy of the wind. The heat release is equivalent to a 10-megaton nuclear bomb exploding every 20 minutes. According to the 1993 World Almanac, the entire human race used energy at a rate of 1013 watts in 1990, a rate less than 20% of the power of a hurricane.
If we think about mechanical energy, the energy at humanity's disposal is closer to the storm's, but the task of focusing even half of the energy on a spot in the middle of a remote ocean would still be formidable. Brute force interference with hurricanes doesn't seem promising.
In addition, an explosive, even a nuclear explosive, produces a shock wave, or pulse of high pressure, that propagates away from the site of the explosion somewhat faster than the speed of sound. Such an event doesn't raise the barometric pressure after the shock has passed because barometric pressure in the atmosphere reflects the weight of the air above the ground. For normal atmospheric pressure, there are about ten metric tons (1000 kilograms per ton) of air bearing down on each square meter of surface. In the strongest hurricanes there are nine. To change a Category 5 hurricane into a Category 2 hurricane you would have to add about a half ton of air for each square meter inside the eye, or a total of a bit more than half a billion (500,000,000) tons for a 20 km radius eye. It's difficult to envision a practical way of moving that much air around.
Attacking weak tropical waves or depressions before they have a chance to grow into hurricanes isn't promising either. About 80 of these disturbances form every year in the Atlantic basin, but only about 5 become hurricanes in a typical year. There is no way to tell in advance which ones will develop. If the energy released in a tropical disturbance were only 10% of that released in a hurricane, it's still a lot of power, so that the hurricane police would need to dim the whole world's lights many times a year.
This is such an interesting post :rollside:
Lucky,
your not a moron, your just asking the wrong question.............instead of bombing the hurricane, we should find a way to attract it AWAY from land!!
(If only we could CREATE air pressure)
:D

topless
09-02-2005, 01:54 PM
You guys are cracking me up now! :crossx:

Delta Jets
09-02-2005, 01:56 PM
We could put all of the enviromental wako's on an island they would suck enough to alter its path then we can punch wells have our own oil

lucky
09-02-2005, 01:59 PM
This is such an interesting post :rollside:
Lucky,
your not a moron, your just asking the wrong question.............instead of bombing the hurricane, we should find a way to attract it AWAY from land!!
(If only we could CREATE air pressure)
:D
FEED Tom brown more bran - It could be a Two fer' - we could send a projectile missle AND a air turbulence :idea: good going Deb - your a genious :D

Delta Jets
09-02-2005, 01:59 PM
They don't want any new drilling off the Mississippi or Alabama coast because it will ruin the view plenty of places in Alaska

lucky
09-02-2005, 02:02 PM
i say next time a hurricane arrives we send all the wake board boats behind it and place all the roost boats in front of it --- and wallla three problems solved :D

Jordy
09-02-2005, 02:02 PM
You just punch a well and up pops oil? Is that how it works?
Nope. That's not how it works. You have to be out in the woods and shootin' at some food, then up from the ground comes bubblin' crude. Don't you know anything??? Gosh!!! :D :D :D

Jordy
09-02-2005, 02:03 PM
i say next time a hurricane arrives we send all the wake board boats behind it and place all the roost boats in front of it --- and wallla three problems solved :D
What about the PWC idiots??? They should be out there too. They can go against the flow of the storm and slow it down. :idea:

topless
09-02-2005, 02:04 PM
Nope. That's not how it works. You have to be out in the woods and shootin' at some food, then up from the ground comes bubblin' crude. Don't you know anything??? Gosh!!! :D :D :D
ROTFLMAO!!!!!!!!!! :rollside: :rollside:

Delta Jets
09-02-2005, 02:05 PM
Ok i am going huntin in the mornin

Cole Trickle
09-02-2005, 02:05 PM
I think chain-link would work the best!!! :p

Jordy
09-02-2005, 02:07 PM
Then it wouldn't block anyone's view. Good thinking. You might get some dumb vandals trying to spray paint on it though... :D :D :D

lucky
09-02-2005, 02:08 PM
a chain chinc fence -- :eek:

Delta Jets
09-02-2005, 02:12 PM
They just need to elect the people of ***boat we have great ideas and can solve all the worlds problems

Delta Jets
09-02-2005, 02:15 PM
Better vacation than what i have now and the pay is from now on so not a bad gig and WE can rule the world