PDA

View Full Version : logs

iggdog
11-03-2002, 10:46 AM
I have pulled the motor to do some mild port work and port matching on my 468 bbc. Is there any way to up the flow of my Hardin wet logs while I'm at it? I want to run a bigger cam (currently a 501 lift, 218 duration, at .050, 8.5 to 1 pistons, "290" oval port, closed chamber heads), strip dominator intake and 800 Holley dp. All of this is in an 18' Cole jet (aka Stoopid). I like the wet logs because I have kids and don't worry much about anyone getting burned. I'm looking for more speed. I'm running 63-64 right now, would like to see 70. I'd like to do this on a reasonable budget so I'll port the heads myself. Any good advice or tips?
Thanks!

missilemud
11-03-2002, 01:20 PM
exstrude-a-hone procces , but it gets pricey and hard to find a shop that will do it.i know theres like 30 plus horses hiding in logs, but its hard to unleash it because of water jacket thickness's that vary. i mess around alot with glenwood manifolds and after diddling we couldn't get much more outta what you could do to them. teflon coating helps for inside gremlins but you have to do that when there outta the box.

Dennis Moore
11-03-2002, 02:34 PM
Why don't you use a center riser style exhaust manifold. These do not run any hotter than your logs and will produce much more horsepower. Lots of the newer jets are running em. Use some Imco's or EMI's with cast aluminum elbows and cast aluminum "S" pipes.
Sincerely
Dennis Moore

Dennis Moore
11-03-2002, 02:36 PM
PS They make oil filter changes much easier as well.
Dennis

hack job
11-03-2002, 03:23 PM
or you could go with lightings or c.m.i.'s
they are a water jackected headers they dont get any warmer than a log manifold! i run lightings on my jet boat!
www.boatheaders.com (http://www.boatheaders.com)
:D wink

DansBlown73Nordic
11-03-2002, 05:11 PM
I can tell you guys first hand. I put a set of old Eagle O/T headers on my 66 Stevens. I have run Logs for the last 3-4 years. I couldn't believe the difference. I gained about 4-500 rpm,s. The boat was 4-5 mph faster. Plus the sound was super.
I can see if you cleaned up the castings it would help some, but no matter how good they flow they still reverb back into the other cylinders.
I always thought the logs were the Cats Ass. But Not Anymore!!!! :D

iggdog
11-03-2002, 06:51 PM
misslemud !Tell me more.Dennis Moore, tell me Moore!

iggdog
11-06-2002, 06:34 PM
O.K soI need to buy headers, great!Has anyone out there tried to do their own garage port job? You know like with the Standard Abrasives kit?I'm pretty handy with the tools and all yuk yuk.

MikeF
11-06-2002, 07:47 PM
I, There is a guy by the name of Bob McKray that only does heads. I do not know if he will give you all his secrets but he might help you out. He is located in Mission Viejo in the Via Fabricante st/area. Look him up in the book (I don't have his # but I have had him do work before). :)