PDA

View Full Version : First Time Out

Cole Sanger
09-03-2005, 10:07 PM
So, I finally got my boat out on some choppy water. I have been working on getting this boat in the water for a long time.
Short history: Bought first 72 Sanger flat in 1999 out in San Diego. It was metallic gold flake w/black stripes and black interior (Super Hot in the sun). Had a 427 BBC with a single 750 Holley. Nothing special, just cheap stuff. I decided to get it painted...big mistake. Long story short, I had painter problems. So, I bring it out to AZ. Finally find a guy to gel the outside. Get that done, start to half ass it back together. Get a good recommendation to get the inside gel coated. I take it back to the same place and get screwed (tuned out like crap). Take it to Havasu Barney where he hooks it up awesome. Start looking at getting it back together and get laid off (early 2003 at this point). Got another good recommendation to buy a boat that was just too good to pass up (another 72 Sanger flat - have a baby daughter). Both boats in the garage for a little while with no engine in either (wife loves this). Sell the first one that I had gel coated. Get news that my 427 is going to take a lot of work, and wouldn't be that great after all was said and done. Decision was made to buy a new to me block (454)and get it built. Another long story short, I have problems with money and one machine shop (heads). Get the motor put together and then make the right decision to have the heads done right. So, motor in and it starts a few times in the driveway (neighbors in homeowners community love that).
Now for today. Go to Saguro, work on the timing for a few minutes. Sounds great. Took a little more water on that I expected. Not a lot, and it would clear out when I was on plane. We decide to be safe than sorry. I circle around, call to my friend so that he can get the trailer. I am yelling at him, pointing at my Suburban, you would figure he would know what I meant. I did leave him my keys and tell him that if anything went wrong, bring the trailer back. He yells to me, "What's going on?". I get it back to the trailer. Then the small problem I really didn't expect happened. My oil sender is remote mounted. The oil line going to it somehow come off. "Hey, there is a lot of oil floating on the water back there", my friend tells me. Lucky I didn't go back out. Oil everywhere that water was, and then some. I spent the rest of the day cleaning the oil up.
So, it could have been a lot worse. Could have sunk the boat, blew up the motor, burned the boat down, broke something in the steering and ran into something, got pitched out of the boat, etc. All in all, a bad (not so bad) day on the water is better than a good day on land. Now all I have to do is fix the minor little problems and have fun with it til spring when I can put it up for sale...it's been a long 6 years. Baby number two is on the way, and this boat won't fit baby number one.
Anyone know how to post a video? Is it just like uploading a pic and then posting the link? Let me see if it will work.
Click here to watch 'Boat-Noise1' ('http://media.putfile.com/Boat-Noise1')

DansBlown73Nordic
09-04-2005, 03:58 AM
Sounds like my Luck....If things can Fu.. Up they will...... :hammer2: Sounds like a shame to sell it after all that. Id get a part time job.. ;) Maybe get a box of Rubbers....... :D

Cousin Bob
09-04-2005, 03:59 AM
congrats on the safe maiden voyage, and glad to see you had fun, but saguaro lake, I guess its close enough for a test. did it once myself. Now get it fixed and head to the river. :) :) :)

DansBlown73Nordic
09-04-2005, 04:00 AM
Congradulations on the baby.... ;)

DUECE'SDAD
09-04-2005, 07:14 AM
Sell It ?????? No Way

skipr
09-05-2005, 08:46 PM
Went out today in my buddy's 75 Hondo runner bottom fot it's madien voyage today. Boat ran and handled very good. Needs a little more tuning on the setup, but other than that it was awsome. It was my first ride and driving of a v-drive. It was awsome, just thought I would share the expirencwith you guys. P.S. Been working on this boat for three years. :wink: :wink:

sintax
09-06-2005, 02:21 PM
Sell It ?????? No Way
yea, would be kinda hard to sell the baby. For some reason the females get strangly attached to those things =\
On a serious note, if you fix the above problems correctly, its one less thing you'll have to worry about next time ;)

Cole Sanger
09-06-2005, 02:58 PM
Thanks for all the kind words. I want to sell it after I use it for the winter. I need something bigger.