PDA

View Full Version : 454 BBC hp ideas??

1000mhz
09-27-2001, 01:05 AM
I was just looking for all the different ideas and ways to get the most out of my motor. I know most of the expensive ones, but I like talking about the 454 so any comments would be great!
So far (havent torn down yet) the motor has a holley 850/dp, victor jr. intake, roller rockers, mallory ign, bassett headers.

MikeF
09-27-2001, 10:39 AM
I plan on going through my engine sometime in the near future. I would like to know any thoughts on what is the highest compression I can put in the engine, running on pump gas (91 octane). The engine has iron 990 open chamber polished, 2.30/1.88, approx ave. .600 lift cam w/ 108 lobe center, single plane manifold. I am figuring that w/ the low temperature of the air/fuel going into the engine and the lower running temperature of the engine @ speed (water cooling of engine much faster than coolant type system) that I might be able to run a higher compression w/o detonation problems..... Any thoughts??!! Thanx, Mike

Boater Bill
09-27-2001, 07:10 PM
Here is my $.02 Roller cam and head work. Are you running a spark box? If not, its worth it. Are your rockers full roller or just roller tip? Easy way to build more power is jacking up the compression but then you run into fuel octane issues. I don't think you can run them hard on todays pump gas at more than 9.5/1 without starting to damage internals no matter what the temps are. To me bottom line to making power whether spending big or little bucks is getting a good combination together and then getting the tune up down. Seen lots of people, cars and boats, who buy parts without thinking about their combination and end up disappointed.

1000mhz
09-27-2001, 08:32 PM
Hey Boater Bill. Ive got full rollers. I dont know what a spark box is. I have a spark arrestor. Im thinking you meen a spark inhancer for my ign. system?
So high compression motor is the cheapest way to go if you are into a full rebuild right?
Why cant you go blown with a high compression motor? I could never get a traight answere on this.
Thanks

DEL51
09-28-2001, 12:31 AM
Hello 1000MHZ,I have experience with 4 different versions of my 454 chev.These were installed in my 18ft jet boat.1st was an oval port head with 9.5/1 and 850 carb,280dur. 510 lift cam.Result was 65mph.2nd was square port heads, Roller rockers, dart intake with 1050 dominator carb,LS7 solid lifter cam.82mph.3rd Was same s above with full msd ignition and Nitrous.90Mph.4, 871 blower with roller cam,7.5/1 compression,2 1050 holley carbs and a jesel belt drive.100 mph, 97mph with full tanks and three large adults.I wish I had went with the blower set up right away.The power is there when you need it and you don't have to keep filling nitrous bottles.You can tune the motor by boost and timing changes. Higher boost and more timing=more power.You have to use the right fuel when cranking up the power level.Low compression(7.5/1to8.5/1) is used in gasoline powered blower motors. This allows more boost than a higher compression engine. Alcohol engines run 10/1 to 12/1 compression due to the characteristics of that fuel.When I crank up the power level I put race gas in the tanks. Blower Drive service has a great catalog that explains a lot of what goes on.You could put some blower pistons in and I would go with an 871 blower. You could get another 850 carb and that would work fine.Good Luck,DEL51

Boater Bill
09-28-2001, 07:32 AM
1000mhz - you said you were running Mallory ignition, I was assuming just the dist. Hope you are not running points type. Spark box I was refering to is Hyfire type (Mal) or MSD box. I'm running a unilite with IVa box and am very happy with it. Seen lots of people dog Mallory and pump up MSD but I've seen problems with MSD also so...High compression is not necessarily the cheapest way to go if you don't run high enough octane to support it cause you will hurt parts fast and that ain't cheap! I'm at 10/1 and run a mix of pump/race gas and have still hurt parts. Was just trying to provide some lower cost options if there is such a thing. DEL51 had some nice comments about blowers and nitrous, these I consider the expensive ways to go and honestly I don't have any experience here. Again, get a good combination together then work on the tune up. My setup is similar to yours. I'm not a pro, just a tinkerer with enough knowledge to be dangerous and a big ass smile when I hit the throttle.

1000mhz
09-30-2001, 09:32 PM
Thanks guys. The Mallory ign. is electronic with the spark unit mounted on top of the cap making it one peice.
I would really like to go blown. That would be great, It just seems expensive to me. Im gonna have to look into total cost of this.
"ADM sucks"

DetroitJim
10-01-2001, 07:52 AM
Hey guys, here is a summary of my experience, I only know what works for me. I have jets, I/O's and v-drives, look at photos.yahoo.com/jcbracewell. First of all, jets are fun, but for serious speed, get a v-drive. You can put all your money into the motor and the drive will take all you can throw at it.
1999 setup: SBC 9.5 to 1, solid lifter cam, Torker, 780 Holley, Basset pipes, 64 mph.
2000 setup: BBC 462, 10.2 to 1, oval port merlins, 222/233 cam, dual plane, same holley, Basset pipes, 84 mph.
Spring 2001, prepped motor for blower. flat top TRW's, 8 to 1. 240/246 cam. everything else the same. 84 mph EXACTLY THE SAME SPEED!
July 2001: Mike Kuhl 8-71 blower, 2 750 edelbrocks. Still running oval ports, 2 bolt main, cast crank 30 under, 3/8 ARP rod bolts, no studs on mains or heads, stock rockers, any pump premium gas, runs cool at 105 degrees, turning 5900 rpm, 94 mph on gps. Beat the crap out of it all summer.
My point? Don't waste money on ultra high rpm speed equipment, insane compression, racing gas, 1050 Dominators, etc. Take that money and get a blower. $2500- $3500 will buy you a ton of torque. Keep rpms reasonable, temps down, boost under 7-8 lbs and go have fun.
Of course, my results are in a cool climate with high humidity and cold water. You might have to work a little harder in desert conditions. My 2 1/2 cents worth,
DetroitJim

MikeF
10-01-2001, 09:20 AM
DetroitJim, It all sounds good to me! What hull are you pushing and what cut impeller are you turning? Thanx, Mike