PDA

View Full Version : Starter Drag ???

shagmebabe
05-08-2006, 10:49 AM
I have a 1979 Nordic 22 with a 355 small block. Mild compression, mild cam, HEI , Quadra Jet carb. Boat runs ok for what it is. But..... Some times when I go to start it, it acts like there is a bunch of timing in it. I only have 28 degress total advance . I have replaced the starter , upgraded the Battery cables to # 2 and have also added dual batteries. What could be causing this ???? any help please !!!

Moneypitt
05-08-2006, 04:25 PM
Sounds like the advance is sticking. Pull the cap and rotor and feel around in there. You may find a bunch of rusty parts where the weights and springs use to be........Just a guess..............MP

GofastRacer
05-08-2006, 07:04 PM
Yep sounds like advance is sticking, common on plain HEI stockers but also make sure ALL electrical connections are CLEAN and TIGHT, all it takes is a loose or cruddy connection and you'll get the same symtoms!... Just something else to check!..

tbanzer
05-09-2006, 01:42 PM
Check your battery isolater. I had the same problem and it drove me nuts. It turned out to be bad contacts inside of the isolater causing a voltage drop.

shagmebabe
05-10-2006, 06:59 AM
Hey guys...... thanks for the input. I just replaced the old point system with a Davis DUI HEI . It had the same problem. I have replaced all the cables and starter and switches. and what it a battery isolater ?

Moneypitt
05-10-2006, 05:01 PM
You said it right off. Check the brush end bushing in the starter. Just pull the end plate and look at the bushing, is it worn out of round on the bottom? The weight of the armature rides on that bushing and over the years they do wear out. Try turning the end plate 180*, putting the worn part on the top and see if your problem continues. When the windings in the field and the armature get hot, they expand. Any contact between these two parts extremely lowers the efficiency of the voltage to make them turn, as it is just an electromagnet that has polarity. If the bushing is in fact worn out, there is a good chance the rest of the starter is close behind, like the brushes and the armature where they ride. Also solinoids do wear out, and that is what supplies the current to the rest of the starter. And yes, any one of these problems can come and go............MP

502 JET
05-10-2006, 06:02 PM
I have a 1979 Nordic 22 with a 355 small block. Mild compression, mild cam, HEI , Quadra Jet carb. Boat runs ok for what it is. But..... Some times when I go to start it, it acts like there is a bunch of timing in it. I only have 28 degress total advance . I have replaced the starter , upgraded the Battery cables to # 2 and have also added dual batteries. What could be causing this ???? any help please !!!
You say you replaced the starter.Is this a rebuilt or new unit?I have seen many rebuilt starters over the years that were NFG.

GofastRacer
05-10-2006, 06:23 PM
I have seen many rebuilt starters over the years that were NFG.
That applies to a lot of shit!, LOL.. :D

Moneypitt
05-10-2006, 06:48 PM
Well, OK, you've replaced the starter already. But, did you use the replacement starter with a weak,(old) battery? That could murder a new starter. A low, or weak battery, really heats up a starter as it trys to crank without enough current. You mentioned new batt cables, how about the wire to the solinoid? Also, what is the cranking amps,(CCA) of the new battery?......MP

GofastRacer
05-10-2006, 06:54 PM
How about the size of the battery cables???, the longer they are the larger they need to be, I use welding cable on mine!..

502 JET
05-10-2006, 07:00 PM
You should hydrometer test a battery when ever possible if not load test it.Then you will know the condition of your batteries.

shagmebabe
05-11-2006, 06:28 AM
The batteries are brand new and the positive cable is a welding cable that is 48" the ground is all # 2. The new starter was a rebuilt and I more than likely did crank it on a worn battery.
:idea: I have a Tilton super starter from my racing days. I didnt install that because I was lazy and didnt want to install a ford style solinoid in the jprocess. Im gonna give it a try..... Ill keep ya updated.
Thanks for all the imput !!!