PDA

View Full Version : U.S. Nats.. Anyone watching?

HighRoller
09-05-2005, 07:24 PM
Was wondering if anyone was watching. That deal with Tony Pedregon's car yesterday scared the crap out of me and I wasn't even there! I'd hate to be standing in front of a Fuel F/C when the throttle went wide open!!!!

Mrs.Racer277
09-05-2005, 07:28 PM
I did not see it.
Listening to John Force right now on Wind Tunnel. Someone please shut him up!!! :hammer2:
I was standing next to him in staging last year in Pomona. I had to put in my ear plugs becuz of him.
He just said his car's suck! LOL
Dave is trying to get a word in here. Now he is just trying not to laugh. :D

HighRoller
09-05-2005, 07:33 PM
He used to be entertaining all the time, now he's annoying half the time. But I still watch to hopefully hear that winning sound bite.

Morg
09-05-2005, 08:07 PM
Was wondering if anyone was watching. That deal with Tony Pedregon's car yesterday scared the crap out of me and I wasn't even there! I'd hate to be standing in front of a Fuel F/C when the throttle went wide open!!!!
Watching final qualifing on ESPN2 right now.
Did they hit the body on the Hat when lowering it??

HighRoller
09-05-2005, 08:14 PM
No, the linkage was stuck on the body before the burnout. Dickie V told the crew member to lift the body and the butterflies flew open when he yanked it up. Although it was scary, it was funny too because the exhaust from the pipes literally blew Dickie's pants off!!! The crew member actually did a reverse headstand after he fell off the hood, which was lucky because he didn't get run over. Like I said, the first time I saw it I had the sound cranked up and it scared the crap out of me because I wasn't expecting WOT while the guy was lifting the hood.

boater72
09-05-2005, 08:23 PM
No, the linkage was stuck on the body before the burnout. Dickie V told the crew member to lift the body and the butterflies flew open when he yanked it up. Although it was scary, it was funny too because the exhaust from the pipes literally blew Dickie's pants off!!! The crew member actually did a reverse headstand after he fell off the hood, which was lucky because he didn't get run over. Like I said, the first time I saw it I had the sound cranked up and it scared the crap out of me because I wasn't expecting WOT while the guy was lifting the hood.
There was nothing funny about it !

Morg
09-05-2005, 08:25 PM
We were at Vagas in October last year. Had a great time. Got sprayed by Selzi with silly string while he was wearing a nun outfit.
BTW- What happems in Vegas not nesaccarily stays in Vegas, My wife is in the nursery with him right now, Ca'mon

HighRoller
09-05-2005, 08:27 PM
I misspoke. It wasn't funny at the time, but I'm sure he will get some ribbing about having his pants blown off sometime in the future by his team. You know how race teams are.....ruthless!!!

Flat Crazy Racing
09-05-2005, 11:05 PM
Yes his pants and 1st and 2nd degree burns from the headers, it only lurched forward at WOT for a split instant, Tony hard on the brake, but that much HP said screw you to the brakes. It could have been alot worse, just glad some burns and a chipped tooth were the only results. It had to shake Tony up, but everyone envolved are pros, they'll get over it....How about Herbert running 4.46!! Career best, with Amato's old tuner Wayne Dupree...MP

HighRoller
09-05-2005, 11:25 PM
What's up with the tuner changes these days? Wayne switches to Herbert's team, his brother takes over Amato's deal, and John Stewart goes from Amato's team to Densham's team in like a week! It all went downhill after Tim Richards started boning Kim Lahaie!!! :rolleyes:

Dusty Times
09-06-2005, 09:11 AM
I watched that when I got home from the lake last night.
CRAZY! I've never seen anything like it before.

Bt273
09-06-2005, 09:13 AM
There was nothing funny about it !
DITTO!!!

Craig
09-07-2005, 07:26 AM
Good races (except for Tony's incident) I was hoping Frank would have won funnycar. Would have liked to see Hot Rod Fuller win TF. I don't know about that Pro Stock Bike finish though :idea:
Craig

Hustler
09-07-2005, 07:32 AM
Good races (except for Tony's incident) I was hoping Frank would have won funnycar. Would have liked to see Hot Rod Fuller win TF. I don't know about that Pro Stock Bike finish though :idea:
Craig
I'm with you on that one. that turned out kinda strange. I still think Steve Johnson got robbed

Flashover
09-07-2005, 08:05 AM
I love listening to Force he cracks me up. Also glad to here that WJ will be back for a couple of more years. Wasn't there another accident just like the one the other day with Tony P That happend last year but not as bad, also with Tony's team?

Flashover
09-07-2005, 08:06 AM
Ohh and the bike final was screwed up...

Flat Crazy Racing
09-07-2005, 08:14 AM
Is it possible the first bike to the finishline was carrying the front wheel above the beam? Replays clearly showed he was there first, and I don't think the front wheel was in the air, but what other explanation is there??...Moneypitt (from BHC)

Flashover
09-07-2005, 08:23 AM
Is it possible the first bike to the finishline was carrying the front wheel above the beam? Replays clearly showed he was there first, and I don't think the front wheel was in the air, but what other explanation is there??...Moneypitt (from BHC)
Do you think there could have been a timing problem when he left the line? Rather than when he crossed the finish line...

Sleek-Jet
09-07-2005, 08:27 AM
I love listening to Force he cracks me up. Also glad to here that WJ will be back for a couple of more years. Wasn't there another accident just like the one the other day with Tony P That happend last year but not as bad, also with Tony's team?
I thinks it BS what 'ole WJ pulled this year.
I go to the spring LV race, and they were playing it up how this would be his final year (the whole Schools Out tour), even had a little ditty on the big screen before the races on Sunday. Hell, I almost felt a little nostalgic for the guy.
I hope he doesn't go one round for the next three years. :messedup:

Hustler
09-07-2005, 08:35 AM
I thinks it BS what 'ole WJ pulled this year.
I go to the spring LV race, and they were playing it up how this would be his final year (the whole Schools Out tour), even had a little ditty on the big screen before the races on Sunday. Hell, I almost felt a little nostalgic for the guy.
I hope he doesn't go one round for the next three years. :messedup:
I'll bet that GM had a little something to do with him not retiring this year. :jawdrop:

Flashover
09-07-2005, 08:41 AM
I'll bet that GM had a little something to do with him not retiring this year. :jawdrop:
Maybee he just decided he was havin too much fun runnin as good as he has been this year and wanted to keep goin. Yeah the whole retirement Schools out tour is now in the toilet but what do ya do. I like seing the old man mix it up out there with the younger guys. Maybee Rusty's Lat Call will go to Shiat too....

Hustler
09-07-2005, 08:45 AM
there was kind of a mention in a interview with WJ that I saw about being "forced" to continue but WJ would not comment. He's a class act in my book.

Sleek-Jet
09-07-2005, 08:48 AM
I bet it was just the opposite. Last season he could barely qualify, and if he did, he went out in the first round. :notam:
As long as he keeps putting on a good show, he'll still have a ride.

Flashover
09-07-2005, 09:02 AM
This is also the year that him and Kurt received the new Engine package from GM and there Horepower went way up and so there performance followed. Did you see how Greg Anderson just drove around Ricky Smith in the finals yesterday. That's just huge HP. WJ didn't have that last year and now he does. he is also no sloutch on the line either. :D

Sleek-Jet
09-07-2005, 09:15 AM
Anderson has been making some serious HP for the last few years.
Personally, I think KJ going to the Cobalt has as much to do with him winning, it seems like it's a little more slippery than the other bodies. That plus the new found power is making it a tough combo.
Not that I'm a big blue oval fan, but I wish Ford would get back into pro-stock.
Actually I'm kinda glad WJ is sticking around, in a way... I was trying to decide on who I was going to root against next year... :D

Flashover
09-07-2005, 09:25 AM
Anderson has been making some serious HP for the last few years.
Personally, I think KJ going to the Cobalt has as much to do with him winning, it seems like it's a little more slippery than the other bodies. That plus the new found power is making it a tough combo.
Not that I'm a big blue oval fan, but I wish Ford would get back into pro-stock.
Actually I'm kinda glad WJ is sticking around, in a way... I was trying to decide on who I was going to root against next year... :D
Just root against Jeg, Im still bent about him geting in kahoots with shumacher. That guy has an evil plan to take over the NHRA in every class, Dude has alot of cars and money....

Sleek-Jet
09-07-2005, 09:46 AM
hmmmm.... NSRA kinda has a nice ring to it... :D

Flashover
09-07-2005, 09:58 AM
Ford is having so much success with Force that i don't think they care about anything else. Plus with ashley comming on soon they will have another big attraction driving a ford. Oh and she is hot as hell.. I met her at vegas during the test and tune session (Dammmmm... :2purples: :2purples: :2purples: )

Sleek-Jet
09-07-2005, 10:01 AM
She is a taste morsel.... :D
I heard a rumor a while back that Force was looking at buying/starting a T/F dragster team for her to move up to... unsubstatiated of course, but a juicy rumor none the less.

Flashover
09-07-2005, 10:04 AM
Yeah i heard the same thing. Cant wait to see what she can do when she moves up it should be pretty cool.

Tom Slick
09-07-2005, 10:10 AM
Sounds like Ashley won't be turning pro unitl 2007. She has been making some test launches in daddys car during test sessions. In fact she got it sideways last week and hit the wall at about 350 feet off the line. Then she accidently hit the fire bottles and made a big mess. I bet we see her in a funny car by the end of next season. Ford has so much influence with Force that I doubt you will see a Top Fuel car in that camp anytime soon.

boater72
09-07-2005, 10:17 AM
I'm with you on that one. that turned out kinda strange. I still think Steve Johnson got robbed
Think! there is no dought he got robbed.

Sleek-Jet
09-07-2005, 10:20 AM
Sounds like Ashley won't be turning pro unitl 2007. She has been making some test launches in daddys car during test sessions. In fact she got it sideways last week and hit the wall at about 350 feet off the line. Then she accidently hit the fire bottles and made a big mess. I bet we see her in a funny car by the end of next season. Ford has so much influence with Force that I doubt you will see a Top Fuel car in that camp anytime soon.
Oops... :D
I wonder why she isn't in a TA Funny-car???

Flashover
09-07-2005, 10:43 AM
I heard she has been testing. Didn't know she smacked the wall or hit the fire bottles. i heard her in an interview say how nervouse she was being inside a car rather than an open cockpit. Give her enough time and i think she will do well.
Hey Slick tell me a little about your login name. Is your name Slick???

Sleek-Jet
09-07-2005, 10:47 AM
NHRA is claiming the bike wasn't set up properly and didn't trip the light.... :rolleyes:

Flashover
09-07-2005, 10:49 AM
I was wondering if the scorring problem started with the staging lights (beam) maybee. Because it looked to me like he was leeding the entire lenght of the track.

boater72
09-07-2005, 11:07 AM
I was wondering if the scorring problem started with the staging lights (beam) maybee. Because it looked to me like he was leeding the entire lenght of the track.
Flashover not to sure what you ae trying to say but that is the problem he was leading the entire length of the track, as you can see from the picture he was ahead but NHRA doesn't care. What happened is that for some reason after four rounds of qu. and four rounds of racing with no problem of scoring with SJ's bike the final round which would have been his 9th pass of the weekend the top end lights caught his faring and not his front tire. But NHRA says it's the drivers problem not there's. But the way I see it is why did it only happen once and not the other 8 times. There were other problem with the light's this weekend. A TAD car had there 1'000 foot time displayed as the 1320 time world record NOT.

Flashover
09-07-2005, 11:15 AM
Flashover not to sure what you ae trying to say but that is the problem he was leading the entire length of the track, as you can see from the picture he was ahead but NHRA doesn't care. What happened is that for some reason after four rounds of qu. and four rounds of racing with no problem of scoring with SJ's bike the final round which would have been his 9th pass of the weekend the top end lights caught his faring and not his front tire. But NHRA says it's the drivers problem not there's. But the way I see it is why did it only happen once and not the other 8 times. There were other problem with the light's this weekend. A TAD car had there 1'000 foot time displayed as the 1230 time world record NOT.
what i mean is since he was leading the entire length of the track and NHRA said the other guys scoring times were all faster that meybee when he left the line the timer didn't start exactly when he left. That would put him slower in the timing due to a malfunction or something occuring at the start line. maybee he didn't break the beam with the front tire at the start line. wouldn't that put him behind in the scoring... :idea:

boater72
09-07-2005, 11:20 AM
what i mean is since he was leading the entire length of the track and NHRA said the other guys scoring times were all faster that meybee when he left the line the timer didn't start exactly when he left. That would put him slower in the timing due to a malfunction or something occuring at the start line. maybee he didn't break the beam with the front tire at the start line. wouldn't that put him behind in the scoring... :idea:
I am pretty sure they said that SJ"s times were all faster until the 1320 mark. SJ 60 foot 330, 660, 1000 he was faster. On paper he lost by .001. But in picture not true I will try and repost pic again but it keeps going away.
http://us.f3.yahoofs.com/users/43110d51z36df0468/ae61/__sr_/6c09.jpg?pho9eHDBsorZ1Jl7

Blown 472
09-07-2005, 11:25 AM
Pro mods were bitchen, the toyota turbo cars, wtf???? 6.70 at 215 with six cylinder?? Clouds of yellow horse power, people not able to see but one hard core old mofo walks right up to the rope and stands there. :220v: :220v:

Flashover
09-07-2005, 11:26 AM
Whatever happend it's pretty obviouse who won the race and NHRA should have ruled it that way. I thought for sure they would.

Flashover
09-07-2005, 11:28 AM
Oh and my favorite part was seing Bazemore go deep on Capps and beet him. Capps looked pissed in the interview....

Sleek-Jet
09-07-2005, 11:35 AM
Oh and my favorite part was seing Bazemore go deep on Capps and beet him. Capps looked pissed in the interview....
To put it mildly... Bazemore looked a little sheepish as well. Don't think that went down as planned.
Points race??? What points race.... :boxingguy :boxingguy

Flashover
09-07-2005, 11:39 AM
To put it mildly... Bazemore looked a little sheepish as well. Don't think that went down as planned.
Points race??? What points race.... :boxingguy :boxingguy
Yeah that look on Bazemores face was great!!! Just like you said i don't think that went as planned, but it was great.... Can't wait for the next race.. :crossx: :crossx: I dont think Baze invited capps over for wine and cheese in his motorhome after the race.

Tom Slick
09-07-2005, 11:55 AM
I heard she has been testing. Didn't know she smacked the wall or hit the fire bottles. i heard her in an interview say how nervouse she was being inside a car rather than an open cockpit. Give her enough time and i think she will do well.
Hey Slick tell me a little about your login name. Is your name Slick???
Yeah, she is going to do great. I think the original plan was for her to possibly run a Top Fuel car, but sponsorship from Ford, etc. is looking like the team will stay all Funny Car in the future. Who knows, things can change.
No, my name is not Slick. My login name comes from the old cartoon character Tom Slick. He was a race car driver cartoon that was on with Poppey and Super Chicken when I was a kid.

Tom Slick
09-07-2005, 11:57 AM
Oops... :D
I wonder why she isn't in a TA Funny-car???
They say the launch in the A/Fuel car is similar to the launch of a AA/Fuel car, so it would be better training for her.

Flashover
09-07-2005, 12:08 PM
Yeah, she is going to do great. I think the original plan was for her to possibly run a Top Fuel car, but sponsorship from Ford, etc. is looking like the team will stay all Funny Car in the future. Who knows, things can change.
No, my name is not Slick. My login name comes from the old cartoon character Tom Slick. He was a race car driver cartoon that was on with Poppey and Super Chicken when I was a kid.
Right on just curious.
I don't see Force owning anything other thatn a funny car anyway i just can't see it. I am wondering why he hasn't had her testing any sooner in her career though. she has been doing well in her A fuel dragster. I do think it would be cool to see her in a funny car instead, ya know the whole following in her fathers footsteps thing...

Tom Slick
09-07-2005, 12:56 PM
Right on just curious.
I don't see Force owning anything other thatn a funny car anyway i just can't see it. I am wondering why he hasn't had her testing any sooner in her career though. she has been doing well in her A fuel dragster. I do think it would be cool to see her in a funny car instead, ya know the whole following in her fathers footsteps thing...
It looks like from all of the rumors that the sport is starting to favor funny cars a little more then TF. There has been some talk of someday eliminating TF altogether and having a 32 car funny car field. :frown: NHRA is trying to follow in the footsteps of NASCAR, by crowning I champion at the end of the year, thus making the sport a little easier to follow for the masses. This would help the growth of the sport they say. I personaly favor TF, but funny car is awesome too. I say if it ain't broke, don't fix it. I love the sport just the way it is.

Sleek-Jet
09-07-2005, 01:02 PM
It looks like from all of the rumors that the sport is starting to favor funny cars a little more then TF. There has been some talk of someday eliminating TF altogether and having a 32 car funny car field. :frown: NHRA is trying to follow in the footsteps of NASCAR, by crowning I champion at the end of the year, thus making the sport a little easier to follow for the masses. This would help the growth of the sport they say. I personaly favor TF, but funny car is awesome too. I say if it ain't broke, don't fix it. I love the sport just the way it is.
Agreed.... one of the reasons I like watching drag racing because every hour or so, something else is going on.
The heritage of the sport are in the top fuel cars, I hope they never become extinct, but knowing NHRA it's possible.

boater72
09-07-2005, 05:24 PM
Johnson declared Mac Tools U.S. Nationals Pro Stock Motorcycle winner
NHRA officials announced Tuesday that the result of Monday’s Pro Stock Motorcycle final has been overturned, and the victory at the 51st annual Mac Tools U.S. Nationals has been awarded to Steve Johnson. More can be read at:
http://www.nhra.com/apcm/templates/news_template.asp?articleid=7784&zoneid=7
http://us.f3.yahoofs.com/users/43110d51z36df0468/ae61/__sr_/6c09.jpg?phxVkHDBQepO1Jl7

Hustler
09-07-2005, 05:42 PM
That great news. Johnson has been at it long and hard and deserves the win. He is one of the awsome guys in NHRA.