PDA

View Full Version : anyone try an Eagle crank or rods?

svtrich
08-05-2003, 04:10 PM
I keep seeing these things and the price is just awsum.BUT,are they any good when you put some real power to them?
Richard

oldphart
08-05-2003, 04:51 PM
I have used Eagle rods in our modified & Sprint car engines for 7 years now. In the beginning there was some bolt failures but no problems since. I currently have an Eagle 514 kit in my boat and love it. I had lost an oil pump drive so needed to replace everything but the block. $1400.00 got me everything and balancing too! just can't beat that. Some of the CAT stuff on Ebay is pretty good too

schiada96
08-05-2003, 05:18 PM
I hae one in my motor after lots of long runs it looks great.

Moneypitt
08-05-2003, 09:34 PM
Ran Eagle rods in a PS BBC for 2 years, 7450 RPM for 5 miles per heat, never a problem...Moneypitt

DEL51
08-05-2003, 10:05 PM
Isn't it funny that a comany with the name "eagle" is chinese.You would think they would be called draqgon or budda !

Infomaniac
08-06-2003, 09:04 AM
Eagle and Scat parts are plenty strong enough for most hot lake/river boats. Cat power systems supply them.
The machine work is not exact and needs close attention during assembly.

Snowboat
08-06-2003, 02:56 PM
I bought an Eagle crank and it was .002" bent. It was promply swapped, with no hassle for a perfectly straight one. Info is right. The journals vary across each one. Since I was following Fiat's advice and building a very loose engine, at least by most standards, it didn't matter. It was a biatch to balance. The machinist lost his ass. He said it was very hard and the counterweights had a beaucoup holes when it was finished. He also said he hates all after market cranks, hard to balance. This crank hasn't been abused very long, but I expect it to do fine. I would buy another one. I also got Cat rods with ARP bolts and they are fine so far. The rods weighed right on the money, but the small ends needed a light hone. In my next lifetime, I might be rich and buy only name brand race parts. For now this seems to work. As for horsepower, mines like Gofast's, understated. I think they will do fine, from what I've read, under sustained 1,000 hp, properly built.