PDA

View Full Version : Water temp

burning cole
08-06-2002, 10:12 AM
I have a 440 chyrsler that until two trips ago never got the gauge to go above 100. These past two trips she idles hot and cools when running over 1500 rpms. SO I thought there was something plugged in the pump! Nope, pulled all the lines, changed the oil, and stuck a feeler in both sides of the pump nothing. I also pulled the motor plugs to check for sand but nothing came out except clean water. Hooked up a hose to check flow while on trailer and of course there was.
If you guys could, what do I need to check next! I am going to Willow Valley this weekend and I am going to have a great garage to play with it. But I need to know what else to look for. I just had the pump redone this winter and has about 30 hours or so this season.
I could really use your help.
Thanks.

Hallett19
08-06-2002, 11:03 AM
Possibly a blown head gasket, or some grime somewhere clogging up your system. Those problems are hard to find.

burning cole
08-06-2002, 11:58 AM
if I had a blown head gasket the would'nt the motor be running hot right off the bat. It takes a good 10 or 1 minutes before I see the temp gauge move. And also, would'nt there be water in the oil? I have great oil pressure.

burning cole
08-06-2002, 12:00 PM
if I had a blown head gasket the would'nt the motor be running hot right off the bat. It takes a good 10 or 1 minutes before I see the temp gauge move. And also, would'nt there be water in the oil? I have great oil pressure.

Jordy
08-06-2002, 12:14 PM
That is what happened to me. Had a head gasket blow and start trickling water into the oil. Temperature wont really be affected because it is always running cold lake water through the motor. My only indication was my oil pressure gauge was ticking, which it had never done before. Acted like a bad pressure sender. Come to find out it was due to the water that was being mixed with the Mobil 1. Did a great job on the main bearings.
Jordy

Hallett19
08-06-2002, 12:43 PM
jordanpaulk:
Did a great job on the main bearings.
JordyI bet it did. The only thing I can think of is blocking going on somewhere, you might have to pull the motor apart and hot tank it if you cant find anything in the lines. And you pulled all the freeze plugs ? How long has it been since the motor has been out of the boat ?

tmdog
08-06-2002, 01:17 PM
Burning cole--- I have the same problem . I suspect it's the oil cooler. I'm getting ready to remove cooler, I think is corroded from salt water and restricting the flow.Will let you know.

burning cole
08-07-2002, 06:32 AM
Thanks for all your help. I have never pulled the motor out of the boat and I have had it for 2 years. I did not take the freeze plugs out. Just the pipe plugs.
What I did not check last time that I am going to this time, is flow to the motor from the pump. I have the lines disconnected and I am just going to start it when I put it in the water for just a second to even see if the flow is good. Then I can through process of elimination rule out the pump.
jordanpaulk, If there was water in the oil, I would see it when I changed the oil, right? Dont scare me!
tmdog, I do not have an oil cooler. I have never had this problem before I went to Blyth and started running in that shallow water. So I suspected sand in the block and it was not cooling.
Another thing that I noticed is that the water is not going through the block. It is when I put a hose on the lines but when I have to rely on the pump to do its job I never notice water coming out of the back of the boat.
I DO NOT KNOW!

Jordy
08-07-2002, 08:54 AM
If you had water in your oil you would definately know it. Would have a mayo look to it. Granted, if you pull your valve covers and there is some mayo looking gunk in there, I wouldn't worry about it as that is due to condensation. Worry if you pull your dipstick and it looks like something you would put on a chicken sandwich.
Jordan

burning cole
08-07-2002, 09:09 AM
I pull the dip stick and it looks good. Is there anything else that you may be able to think of! Thanks for all your help so far.

SCHIADA 21 RC
08-07-2002, 10:17 AM
It has been about 25 years since I had a jet but here goes. Are you getting your cooling water for the motor from the jet and or do you have a separate water pump? If the water is coming directly from the pump I would check to make sure there is nothing clogging the input from the cooling water input from the jet. If it is partially blocked with the motor at idle the flow may be restricted and as the RPMs increase the flow may then become adequate to cool the motor. If you have a separate water pump take it apart and check it. If none of this works give me a call and I will drop by & see if I help in real time. I am just over the hill from you in Camarillo. 805/484-8851

burning cole
08-07-2002, 11:11 AM
cooling water is coming directly from the pump. But I had my girlfriend put her hand up there and she has small hands and could not feel anything. I also Took the line off and blew it clear with an air hose. So if there was anything there it is gone now.
I will bet that I will take it this weekend and I will not have a problem with temp. Knock on wood.
How do I check the Head Gasket, just as preventitive maintence? I know that there is no water in the oil but just want to make sure.

pgf127rt
08-07-2002, 01:36 PM
BC, You can do a compression check for a blown head gasket, I have a jet and if you have been running in shallow water the water passages in the block are probably sand packed, another clue to this is when you hook up the water hose to the pump and are not seeing water thru the pump, as the water from the pump goes thru the block, and exits thru the nozzle, with part going thru the exhaust risers, unless you are running dry over transom headers.

skeepwerkzaz
08-07-2002, 11:01 PM
If it is just a little but of water in your oil, it may just burn off (evaporate) do you notice any steam? A leak-down test will tell you a whole lot more than a comp check. Any reputable shop should have one. Good luck.

burning cole
08-08-2002, 06:59 AM
pgf127rt:
BC, You can do a compression check for a blown head gasket, I have a jet and if you have been running in shallow water the water passages in the block are probably sand packed, another clue to this is when you hook up the water hose to the pump and are not seeing water thru the pump, as the water from the pump goes thru the block, and exits thru the nozzle, with part going thru the exhaust risers, unless you are running dry over transom headers.I have over the transom headers but they are wet. When i hook up the hose on the trailer the water goes all the way through the block and out the back. But I have never noticed when I was running if water is coming out the back. The only thing that I have noticed is when it is hot then steam will come out that hole. I just think that maybe the jet is not making enough pressure. Because I can get it to go through with a hose.

burning cole
08-08-2002, 07:01 AM
skeepwerkzaz:
If it is just a little but of water in your oil, it may just burn off (evaporate) do you notice any steam? A leak-down test will tell you a whole lot more than a comp check. Any reputable shop should have one. Good luck.Just the opposite, I checked the oil again last night and pulled out about a quart and there was no water in the oil. I changed the oil last trip just to check and there was no oil there either.

burning cole
08-12-2002, 10:02 AM
Hey guys just wanted to say thanks for all your help. Took the boat out this weekend to willow valley and she ran great. Made it to the sand bar on Sat. About a 1 hour drive and motor did not get above 120, no bubbling sounds. Whatever was blocking I am assuming is now gone. Finally got a GPS handhold system, and she got to 76.4. And the oil pressure never go below 60. Best trip of the season. Again Thanks for all your help.

Thunderbutt
08-13-2002, 10:13 AM
Burning Cole, Check the hose from your pump to the motor, maybe it was collasping from the pressure. Sometimes they do and sometimes they don't.

burning cole
08-13-2002, 10:49 AM
Thunderbutt:
Burning Cole, Check the hose from your pump to the motor, maybe it was collasping from the pressure. Sometimes they do and sometimes they don't.What am I looking for when I take it off. It is worn on the bottom from the glass, and I did not notice if it was soft. Why and how would it collapse. If you had pressure going from the jet to block I would think that it would expand right!? How much do you think that it would cost to redo all the water lines. I would like to do it just to do it and they are a little worn but were done three years ago. I would also like to get all new fittings that are shiny, the red and blue on my fittings have started to dull a little.

Liberator TJ1984
08-13-2002, 11:24 AM
Cole , saw on case here where the block was full of sand...just idling around it would heat up..running at speed it would cool off...it had a lot of hours on it so the owner just decided to be safe and rebuild it..as he popped out the freeze plugs sand was completely packed into block from years of running ...is there alot of sandy bottoms where you run ??? :)

burning cole
08-13-2002, 01:03 PM
Liberator TJ1984:
Cole , saw on case here where the block was full of sand...just idling around it would heat up..running at speed it would cool off...it had a lot of hours on it so the owner just decided to be safe and rebuild it..as he popped out the freeze plugs sand was completely packed into block from years of running ...is there alot of sandy bottoms where you run ??? :) Liberator TJ1984, I pulled the pipe plugs that are actually lower then the freeze plugs on the block, and nothing come out except clean, little rusted looking water. stuck my finger there and it felt clean. I am doing everything I can to not have to pull the motor out. I do not have the expertise or the tools, or the $$$$ to do it right now. Because when I pull it out I really want to do some nice stuff to the motor. I have been accumulating parts for about a year, but just do not have enough money to pay someone 60-70 an hour to put it all together.
if there is sand in the block I would think that when I flushed it with the plugs out i would have seen some reminates of sand right!?