PDA

View Full Version : Armstrong retired... well maybe not

Rexone
09-07-2005, 03:08 PM
AUSTIN, Texas (AP) -- After winning his seventh Tour de France title, Lance Armstrong stepped off the winner's podium in Paris and into retirement, declaring, ``I'm finished.''
Six weeks later, he's already talking about a comeback.
Recently engaged to rocker girlfriend Sheryl Crow, Armstrong issued a statement Tuesday confirming that he's contemplating a return to competitive cycling in part because he knows how much it would rankle French media who believe his record of seven straight Tour wins is tainted by drug use.
``While I'm absolutely enjoying my time as a retired athlete with Sheryl and the kids, the recent smear campaign out of France has awoken my competitive side,'' Armstrong said. ``I'm not willing to put a percentage on the chances, but I will no longer rule it out.''
When he retired, Armstrong said he was looking forward to time away from the grueling months of training and six-hour rides around the countryside.
He planned to spend a few days ``with a beer, having a blast'' with time dedicated to playing with his three young children from his first marriage.
But he's been dogged in recent weeks with allegations of performance-enhancing drug use. On Aug. 23, the French newspaper L'Equipe reported it had evidence that six of Armstrong's urine samples from the '99 Tour tested positive last year for the blood booster EPO. The substance was banned in 1999, but there was no reliable test at the time.
Armstrong has angrily denied the charge, saying he was a victim of a ``setup.''
He first hinted of a comeback in an interview Monday with the Austin American-Statesman. An Armstrong spokesman on Tuesday said the comments were a joke, but within hours, the cyclist confirmed it was possible.
``I'm thinking it's the best way,'' to anger the French, he told the newspaper. ``I'm exercising every day.''
Dan Osipow, manager of Armstrong's Discovery Channel team, seemed to be caught off-guard by Armstrong's comments, but said the cyclist appears determined to protect his legacy.
``That to me sounds very Lance-like. It leaves things open and the motivation seems pretty clear. He is immensely proud of his reputation,'' Osipow said.
``Lance was pretty definitive when he announced his plans for retirement. But circumstances change. Who knows?'' Osipow said. ``I leave that to him. We all know he planned on staying fit.''
Although Armstrong will be 34 by next year's race, Osipow said it's likely he could win again.
``People said if he'd stuck around, he'd be the favorite the next two, three, four years,'' Osipow said.
Armstrong had said he'd be back on the Tour next year, as adviser for the Discovery Channel team. Now it could be as the lead rider.
``He owns part of the team,'' Osipow said. ``If there's a certain rider from Texas who wants to join the team, we'll have space.''

It's all Good
09-07-2005, 04:02 PM
I expected him to comeback after all of that crap from L'Equipe and the doping allegations. Just when they thought they could get their beloved race back...

Zeug
09-07-2005, 04:23 PM
Yep, I say come out of retirement and kick thier asses once again. Then tell them the only reason you put your beer down and got back on the bike was to show them they will never again rule thier own race. Lance is best when he is pissed off. :boxingguy
I cant believe after all Lance has done for the tour, including increased revenues, that LeBlanc would jump on the anti-Lance bandwagon. I got to meet LeBlanc this summer at the tour. Seemed nice at the time.

Tom Brown
09-07-2005, 04:30 PM
This Armstrong guy seems to have a certain je ne sais qois..... non?

LAFD
09-07-2005, 04:34 PM
he needs to come back and have a beer holder on his bike. kick all them french pricks ass. go lance...

HocusPocus
09-07-2005, 04:56 PM
screw the french!!!

Zeug
09-07-2005, 05:22 PM
This Armstrong guy seems to have a certain je ne sais qois..... non?
LMAO

Zeug
09-07-2005, 05:26 PM
he needs to come back and have a beer holder on his bike. kick all them french pricks ass. go lance...
Sad thing is there are no real french contenders to leash out an ass whoopin' on. Even if Lance didnt race, they would still loose thier own race to someone else.
It's kinda like mouthin off to someone on your front lawn and then getting your ass handed to you in front of your whole family. Must suck to be French. :hammer2:

ECeptor
09-07-2005, 06:26 PM
Les Français sucent le pénis d'âne.
Donnez un coup de pied leur âne Lance!