PDA

View Full Version : Holy Sh!t - I didnt know what I had!!!!!

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
11-17-2002, 10:46 AM
I just pulled off my heads on my 455 olds. Come to find out that it is .60 over with sleevs. I have another one I ws going to rebuild that is .30 over. My question is do I rebuild the block that is .60 over or the .30 over. The block that is .60 over has a frozen cam. I will be taking it to the machine shop this week to see if they can save it. They both need a cam,rings and bearings. What do you guys think???
396 :)

Jordy
11-17-2002, 10:55 AM
Sounds like you have two potential anchors... time to switch over to Bow-tie power. Sorry, just had to be the first one in an Olds thread to suggest it.
Jordy :D

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
11-17-2002, 11:43 AM
jordanpaulk:
Sounds like you have two potential anchors... time to switch over to Bow-tie power. Sorry, just had to be the first one in an Olds thread to suggest it.
Jordy :D Jordy I cant wait untill I get my boat back in the water. I just wanna sit on the beach at saguaro and open a cold drink and talk about my roooooooooosssssttteeerrr!!! I know I have 2 anchors now but I know I will have one hell of a rooster. I am going bigger on my wedges. I have a 5 and 6 degree but I am switching to a 6 and a 6!! I wont race you in this boat but I will race you when my 454 BIG BLOCK CHEVY is ready for my other hull. For some odd ass reason Jordy I loike you. Maybe its because we grew up in the same area!! :D :D :D :D

Jordy
11-17-2002, 11:46 AM
What's all this race talk? I don't race people in my slow jet boat... 50 mph won't get me anywhere when it comes to racing. :D :D :D

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
11-17-2002, 11:50 AM
jordanpaulk:
What's all this race talk? I don't race people in my slow jet boat... 50 mph won't get me anywhere when it comes to racing. :D :D :D Jordy your so full of Sh!!!!!t and you know it! I have seen you run. I thought I saw a bright ass yellow boat blow by a big ass boat comming from the back of the lake! Was that you...... naw it was someone else!! :D

Jordy
11-17-2002, 11:52 AM
Wasn't me. Must have been some other bright ass yellow boat. wink :D :cool: :p

HOSS
11-17-2002, 12:00 PM
If it already is sleeved, I`d go with the 60 bore. Sleeves can be replaced. 15 yrs ago, sleeves were a scary thing, not anymore!
Gotta love those bench racing fags!

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
11-17-2002, 12:30 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by HOSS:
[QB]If it already is sleeved, I`d go with the 60 bore. Sleeves can be replaced. 15 yrs ago, sleeves were a scary thing, not anymore!
That makes me feel even better. I just hope I can save it because the cam is frozen to the bearings. You can still see some bearing left in it though. Would I have to get oversized cam bearings? :confused:

malcolm
11-17-2002, 09:41 PM
How's the bore look in the .030 block? I wouldn't want to screw around with blue cam bores.

HOSS
11-18-2002, 07:52 AM
Oversized cam bearings? No, let a shop look at it. It could be almost broken meaning broken camshaft (warped if you will). The most important thing is to let a machine shop do the work. Line bore, etc. If there is a lot of rust in the cylinders, it may not be able to clean up with a bore.

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
11-18-2002, 02:23 PM
I just finished disassembling an engine for the first time:) I was very suprised on how the cam came right out and the bearings came with it. Everything looked good as far as the cam goes(I do need a new cam though). I pulled the bottom end apart and what a surprise. Someone already rebuilt it not too long ago. It has brand new pistons and it is completely balanced. I just dropped it off to the machine sho and the guy told me that it looks good. The crank will need to be turned but everything looks good. I will be miced today and I will know the results of everything tomorrow. I feel really good now :)
396(lets pray for the 455 olds)

77charger
11-18-2002, 09:15 PM
jordanpaulk:
What's all this race talk? I don't race people in my slow jet boat... 50 mph won't get me anywhere when it comes to racing. :D :D :D I dont know about that velocity stack it might make some serious hp.

AZKC
11-21-2002, 01:10 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by 396_WAYS_TO_SPIT:
[QB] I was very suprised on how the cam came right out and the bearings came with it.
If the bearings are siezed on cam and spun in the block, not good, make sure a pro cks it out. It may have made the journals to big to have the cam bearings fit properly. eek!
KC

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
11-21-2002, 06:09 PM
AZKC:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by 396_WAYS_TO_SPIT:
[QB] I was very suprised on how the cam came right out and the bearings came with it.
If the bearings are siezed on cam and spun in the block, not good, make sure a pro cks it out. It may have made the journals to big to have the cam bearings fit properly. eek!
KCMe and my dad tapped it 3 times to see if it would move and if fell out. Its at the machine shop getting mic'd.

mister460
11-21-2002, 07:15 PM
Just to throw some weird info out there for you all. If bearings spin in the block it somehow shrinks the hole. If you spin a main bearing it will shrink and line boring is necessary, usually that one hole is all that needs cut. Same with cams usually. Even if it did get real hot you probably won't need oversize cam bearings. Just a line bore will clean it up.

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
11-21-2002, 07:18 PM
mister460:
Just to throw some weird info out there for you all. If bearings spin in the block it somehow shrinks the hole. If you spin a main bearing it will shrink and line boring is necessary, usually that one hole is all that needs cut. Same with cams usually. Even if it did get real hot you probably won't need oversize cam bearings. Just a line bore will clean it up.Sweet deal! the cam froze to the bearings and broke the dowel pin.

Hotcrusader76
11-21-2002, 07:53 PM
396_WAYS_TO_SPIT:
mister460:
Just to throw some weird info out there for you all. If bearings spin in the block it somehow shrinks the hole. If you spin a main bearing it will shrink and line boring is necessary, usually that one hole is all that needs cut. Same with cams usually. Even if it did get real hot you probably won't need oversize cam bearings. Just a line bore will clean it up.Sweet deal! the cam froze to the bearings and broke the dowel pin.
396If you don't mind me asking, who's doing your machine work out there?
~Ty

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
11-21-2002, 08:41 PM
Hotcrusader76:
396_WAYS_TO_SPIT:
mister460:
396If you don't mind me asking, who's doing your machine work out there?
~TyOn this particular boat(455) my fathers friend at tnt(Napa with a machine shop). My other boat(454) wilky's did the block and I am still shopping for head work. Why do you ask ty?

GofastRacer
11-21-2002, 08:47 PM
Because you're going to the wrong places!!!... eek! eek! eek!

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
11-22-2002, 08:37 AM
GofastRacer:
Because you're going to the wrong places!!!... eek! eek! eek! Its ok bro eek! They are just checking the clreances. The only thing they are doing is turning the crank. thats it. The 455 isnt going to be a hot rod. Its just a little cruiser. anyways I have antother 455 olds thats ready to if this one isnt doesnt work wink By the way where do you think I should get my work done? What do you recomend?

GofastRacer
11-22-2002, 10:02 AM
396_WAYS_TO_SPIT:
GofastRacer:
Because you're going to the wrong places!!!... eek! eek! eek! Its ok bro eek! They are just checking the clreances. The only thing they are doing is turning the crank. thats it. The 455 isnt going to be a hot rod. Its just a little cruiser. anyways I have antother 455 olds thats ready to if this one isnt doesnt work wink By the way where do you think I should get my work done? What do you recomend?
396Mike Zimmerman in Glendale!.. wink

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
11-22-2002, 05:27 PM
GofastRacer:
396_WAYS_TO_SPIT:
GofastRacer:
396Mike Zimmerman in Glendale!.. wink I just asked my father what they were doing and he said they are just mic'ing and vatting it. There is nothing wrong with the block. wink