PDA

View Full Version : New Orleans Wastes ???

Liberator TJ1984
09-08-2005, 07:26 AM
BATON ROUGE, Louisiana (Reuters) -- The toxic brew of chemicals and human waste in the New Orleans floodwaters will have to be pumped into the Mississippi River or Lake Pontchartrain, raising the specter of an environmental disaster on the heels of Hurricane Katrina, experts say.
The dire need to rid the drowned city of water could trigger fish kills and poison the delicate wetlands near New Orleans and the Gulf of Mexico at the mouth of the Mississippi. (Full story)
State and federal agencies have just begun water quality testing but environmental experts say the vile, stagnant chemical soup that sits in the streets of the city will contain traces of everything imaginable.
"Go home and identify all the chemicals in your house. It's a very long list," said Ivor van Heerden, head of a Louisiana State University center that studies the public health impacts of hurricanes.
"And that's just in a home. Imagine what's in an industrial plant," he said. "Or a sewage plant."
Gasoline, diesel, anti-freeze, bleach, human waste, acids, alcohols and a host of other substances must be washed out of homes, factories, refineries, hospitals and other buildings.
Try and figure this one out ??
The city is a cesspool of bacteria and diseases due to all the bodies and whatever else is in the water , :skull: , and now they are pumping that Water Back Into Lake Ponchitrain ??? isn't that where they get their drinking Water from ??? Don't seem to be making things better to me :confused:
any other thoughts on this ???

Poster X
09-08-2005, 07:30 AM
The whole ordeal has become a rush to appease and to make a show of it. I doubt they are thinking anything out they do? At this point they are just making good television.

Taylorman
09-08-2005, 07:48 AM
The city is a cesspool of bacteria and diseases due to all the bodies and whatever else is in the water , :skull: , and now they are pumping that Water Back Into Lake Ponchitrain ??? isn't that where they get their drinking Water from ??? Don't seem to be making things better to me :confused:
any other thoughts on this ???
What other choice is there, leave the water in the city? Doesn't drinking water get treated before it reaches you faucet?
Im not bashing you or your thread so don't take what im about to say personal. There is way to may people being way to critical regarding this tragedy. Its so easy for some reporter in New York or LA or any other state for that matter, to get on the tv and be critical and say what they should or should not be doing in New Orleans. Its easy for them to say that this could have been prevented. Well guess what, that doesn't change the fact that things can't be changed. Now all they can do is move on. The f***ing reporter have no clue whats going on over there and i don't believe any one person can comprehend what just happened nor can one person figure out how to fix it. So i wish all the "EXPERTS" sitting in their news rooms would either contribute to help out the people in New Orleans or shut the **** up. What alot of people fail to realize is that the majority of what is being shown on tv are the poorest of the poor people. These people live in parts of New Orleans that i would never consider visiting. What the new is not showing is the thousands of middle class who had nice houses and are now gone and have lost everything they own.

Liberator TJ1984
09-08-2005, 10:38 AM
No Offense taken Taylormann :chi:
I know they are trying to do their best......
It just don't seem right just to " Move the problem " somewhere else ???
If the water is that bad it seems they would put it in tanker ships , or haul out into the desert and dump, or pump into the ground into " Disposal Wells " :confused:

riverbound
09-08-2005, 10:44 AM
If the water is that bad it seems they would put it in tanker ships , or haul out into the desert and dump, or pump into the ground into " Disposal Wells " :confused:
Dumping it into the desert in "disposal wells" doesnt solve the problem either it just hides it for later so Our kids can deal with it. Who knows what is right or wrong thing to do right now :frown:

Forkin' Crazy
09-08-2005, 11:53 AM
What other choice is there, leave the water in the city? Doesn't drinking water get treated before it reaches you faucet?
Im not bashing you or your thread so don't take what im about to say personal. There is way to may people being way to critical regarding this tragedy. Its so easy for some reporter in New York or LA or any other state for that matter, to get on the tv and be critical and say what they should or should not be doing in New Orleans. Its easy for them to say that this could have been prevented. Well guess what, that doesn't change the fact that things can't be changed. Now all they can do is move on. The f***ing reporter have no clue whats going on over there and i don't believe any one person can comprehend what just happened nor can one person figure out how to fix it. So i wish all the "EXPERTS" sitting in their news rooms would either contribute to help out the people in New Orleans or shut the **** up. What alot of people fail to realize is that the majority of what is being shown on tv are the poorest of the poor people. These people live in parts of New Orleans that i would never consider visiting. What the new is not showing is the thousands of middle class who had nice houses and are now gone and have lost everything they own.
Amen to that!!
From what I understand is as the leaves off the trees decay that the storm blew off, they make it poisonous to the fish. There are already fish kills in The Ticfaw River. The swamp feed the rivers, that feeds Lake Maurepas, that feed Lake Pontchartrain.

2Driver
09-08-2005, 12:04 PM
Think I'll be staying away from gulf seafood for a year or so...blue crab, shrimp etc... :yuk:

Forkin' Crazy
09-08-2005, 12:36 PM
Think I'll be staying away from gulf seafood for a year or so...blue crab, shrimp etc... :yuk:
LOL!!! You really don't know how much waste, etc flows down the Mississippi, do you? :wink:

mickeyfinn
09-08-2005, 12:52 PM
I don't know for sure how much area is affected but if you assume that it is just one square mile covered 20 feet deep you have 4,170,000,000 gallons of stuff to get rid of. The last I heard you couldn't haul more than 5,000 or 10,000 gallons in a truck. 10,000 is way overweight. Seems they are doing the best thing which is to put it into the lake where it will ultimately wind up in the ocean and the dilution will take it from there. May not be an appealing option, but the only real option available.

BajaMike
09-08-2005, 12:58 PM
Amen to that!!
From what I understand is as the leaves off the trees decay that the storm blew off, they make it poisonous to the fish. There are already fish kills in The Ticfaw River. The swamp feed the rivers, that feeds Lake Maurepas, that feed Lake Pontchartrain.
I used to water ski in the Ticfaw River and swim in Lake Maurepas....they weren't very clean then, but when it's hot......you go swimming. :smile: :boxed:

Taylorman
09-10-2005, 09:55 AM
I doubt that is possible. Waaaaaaaaaaaaaay to much water in the city for that to be an option.
Forkin Crazy, where are you from?

topless
09-10-2005, 10:12 AM
My brother inlaw is there right now and tells me that the news doesn't even touch the tip of the iceberg as far as how bad it is there. He said on one street alone there were about 80 bodies floating in the street. The stentch can be smelled 40 miles away. I agree with Tayloman. They are doing what they can. If all these people that say they should do this or that have a better plan then let them get down there and do something about it.

Tom Brown
09-10-2005, 10:22 AM
What do you propose they do with a few billion gallons of water? :confused:

Tom Brown
09-10-2005, 10:24 AM
Forkin Crazy, where are you from?
He's from Scream & Fly... originally. :D