PDA

View Full Version : Questions for the road race guys(sport bikes)

DEEZ NUTTS
09-08-2005, 03:01 PM
Back when I had my bike I coudnt afford to race and ended up selling it to buy a wedding ring. Now about 8 years later I gotta scratch that itch.
Question is, what would pros/cons be for racing in the 600cc class vs. 750cc. What is the 750 class like since there are only a couple of manufacturers at the time. Would I be lumped into an open class?
Seems to me that the 600 class being cheaper and bikes easily found that it would be a packed gate every race and full of yay-hoos waiting to take everyone out.
So do I get the GSXR600 or 750 for a race bike that will have limited street use too?

FHI-prez
09-08-2005, 03:21 PM
Ok....back up....you sold your bike to buy a f***ing what???
Gixxer 6
I race a Gix 750 but that's cuz I'm just bullheaded. :D
The 600 class is an absolute bleepin riot. :boxingguy
OR, if you really want to have a ball, race the SV 650's, get a cheap as shit race bike fully prepped, and get a streetbike. If you want to pull double duty and get a street/track bike...you HAVE to have two sets of rims at least. The only way to fly!!
Have fun.

77charger
09-08-2005, 03:22 PM
depends on the local clubs that run the events.To be honest a 750 can be competitive with the 1000s (provided it is a gsxr)they do hold alot of track records.And unless you are a pro you probably will never use all the power in the 1000.
600s are fast also alot more out and can be just as fun
Main thing the bike is only as good as the rider is good rider on a 600 vs an avg rider on a 1000 600 will win on the track
I ride a gsxr 750 myself have also raced bikes the 1000 is better for wheelies and strait line racin but on the track the 750 and 1000 are equal just depends on experience

FHI-prez
09-08-2005, 03:30 PM
To answer your question, don't worry about classes and all that jazz, you got bigger fish to fry if you're looking to race. There are guys out there that can kick the shit out of most liter bikes on any track, any day. The bike means very little until you get to the pros. If you are able to ride a smaller bike fast, the sky is the limit.
Please just don't be one of those assholes that shows up to the track with a high powered liter bike and just haul ass on the straights and get passed by mopeds in the corners. Those guys are freekin dangerous to themselves and others.
If you got the cabbage to do it, start with the smaller CC's and you may never look for anything more. If you get to the point that a Gix 6 can't handle your ability, you probably should be raciing Moto GP and make about 30 mil a year. Put it this way, the local track record was held for a LONG time on a 250 cc two stroke. Finally this crazy asshole took it with a Gix 750...but that's besides the point.
:D :D

DEEZ NUTTS
09-08-2005, 03:39 PM
I know what you guys are saying about the liter bikes. I have no desire to ever own one. I would be mainly hitting Firebird in Phx. Gettin the bike soon before winter sets in here in Flagstaff so I dont have much time to go check out the local scene.

Just Electric
09-08-2005, 03:45 PM
if you want to learn more to scrarch yo itch come join the boyz over at SportBikeS.com and you'll see whats up

Sane Asylum
09-08-2005, 04:41 PM
I know what you guys are saying about the liter bikes. I have no desire to ever own one. I would be mainly hitting Firebird in Phx. Gettin the bike soon before winter sets in here in Flagstaff so I dont have much time to go check out the local scene.
Lemme help..............
1) Roadracing is expensive........PERIOD
2) It doesn't pay chit
3) I raced for 9 years........2 years as an amatuer, 7 as a pro/expert. Two national amatuer titles in 750 production and super class. Several National endurance titles (Middleweight production) with my boys from Columbus Cycle and ATV.......
4) WERA and AMA pro license - Get all the licenses you can and go through their schools
5) Race something that pays contingency - tires, fork oil, helmets....whatever...
6) Race for somebody if you can
7) Endurance racing gives you about six gazillion more hours of seat time vs sprint racing.
8) Lots of idiots in the amatuer class........Get your expert license quickly
9) Go to school, go to school, go to school
10) Get in shape, get in shape, get in shape
11) Get in shape
12) Most of the focks street racing are the largest pussies known to man when it comes to real roadracing....
13) Watch a great roadracer and do what he does. If you look different you're going too slow.....
14) Don't skimp on leathers.........Buy GOOD chit......
15) Be humble....
I have more.....PM or call me if you get the urge.......

SnakeWrench
09-08-2005, 04:47 PM
I used to be an MSF instructor and also an instructor at West valley speedway in Ohio. (before it closed) I have raced all over the country and have seen every club. They all do it different. Myself, I would have you start off on a 600 and get your feet wet again. Maybe next year jump to the 750's.
The 600's are running like lap times to most of the 750's, but a good rider can keep himself close to a 750, and in some cases, outrun them. The 600 is going to be easier on tires and is a little lighter.
I've riden most and still come back to the 600's because they are much more fun to ride hard.
Good luck
Snake

SnakeWrench
09-08-2005, 04:50 PM
Lemme help..............
2) It doesn't pay chit
3) I raced for 9 years........2 years as an amatuer, 7 as a pro/expert. Two national amatuer titles in 750 production and super class. Several National endurance titles (Middleweight production) with my boys from Columbus Cycle and ATV.......
4) WERA and AMA pro license - Get all the licenses you can and go through their schools
5) Race something that pays contingency - tires, fork oil, helmets....whatever...
7) Endurance racing gives you about six gazillion more hours of seat time vs sprint racing.
11) Get in shape
12) Most of the focks street racing are the largest pussies known to man when it comes to real roadracing....
13) Watch a great roadracer and do what he does. If you look different you're going too slow.....
15) Be humble....
And what he said!!! LOL

DEEZ NUTTS
09-08-2005, 05:12 PM
Lemme help..............
2) It doesn't pay chit
11) Get in shape
15) Be humble....
I'm just looking for fun. Raced dirt bikes on and off for 20 years so I know the drill. Considering that I can run 500-800$ of just gas through my boat in one weekend on Powell makes racing look cheap.

Sane Asylum
09-08-2005, 05:32 PM
I'm just looking for fun. Raced dirt bikes on and off for 20 years so I know the drill. Considering that I can run 500-800$ of just gas through my boat in one weekend on Powell makes racing look cheap.
Then buy some good leathers, get your upper body strength where it needs to be and have some fun.........There are some senior type classes (AMA) that look kind of neat.......
The $500-$800 number is about a weekend of sprint racing by the time you buy fuel, tires, hotel and food......If you do it "just for fun"
Now, I wanna ride in a boat that burns that much fuel cause there's some horsepower somewhere in the equation...... :2purples: :shift: :jawdrop:

DEEZ NUTTS
09-08-2005, 05:42 PM
Now, I wanna ride in a boat that burns that much fuel cause there's some horsepower somewhere in the equation...... :2purples: :shift: :jawdrop:
Not hard to put in a 150 mile run on a saturday on Powell plus 50 mile round trip just to camp, then run to floating crapper, then speed runs ect. It ads up. Twin 540s dont help either.

ECeptor
09-08-2005, 06:02 PM
OR, if you really want to have a ball, race the SV 650's, get a cheap as shit race bike fully prepped, and get a streetbike. If you want to pull double duty and get a street/track bike...you HAVE to have two sets of rims at least. The only way to fly!!
I haven't raced, but have ridden sportbikes on the street since I was a teenager.
I'll second the SV650 suggestion.
I was going to start racing a couple years ago and that's the route I was headed...until the boating bug bit me hard!

laveydayz
09-08-2005, 09:03 PM
I used to be an MSF instructor and also an instructor at West valley speedway in Ohio. (before it closed) I have raced all over the country and have seen every club. They all do it different. Myself, I would have you start off on a 600 and get your feet wet again. Maybe next year jump to the 750's.
The 600's are running like lap times to most of the 750's, but a good rider can keep himself close to a 750, and in some cases, outrun them. The 600 is going to be easier on tires and is a little lighter.
I've riden most and still come back to the 600's because they are much more fun to ride hard.
Good luck
Snake
Tommy Hayden smoked the 750 field in 2004 on the Kawi zx6r (636). I bought a new ZX6R this year and its and its an amazing bike. The 600's are so much more fun to ride in my oppinion.

DEEZ NUTTS
09-09-2005, 03:30 PM
I raced both mx for 20+ years and road raced for 4 1/2 years, like sane, did it the right way by going to three different racing schools, C.C.S. (James Cox), Willow Springs (Kenny Kopecky) and P.IR.in Az.
I raced a CBR900RR, so I was limited as an amatuer, CCS ON Saturdays for 1hr Solo gp's, Sunday for Unlimited Supersport. Willow as an amatuer you could only run 1 class. I did get to Daytona to race in 94', GTO Class, was awesome, started on the 3rd row, finished 30th out of 70+, race shortened due to red flag/darkness.
The next 3 1/2 years had my expert/pro license, that is where the fun is !!!, you won't make alot of money, if any at all, but the experiences, friends and tracks were all worth it !!! Two sets of rims will allow you to compete in extra classes, the 600 is open to any 600 / 750 or open class. Open class bikes are kinda limited, but the h.p. is fun to have.
some of the tracks I raced were old + new Las Vegas, Willow, (2) Firebird Tracks, Heartland Park-Topeka,Kansas , Daytona, PIR, Putnam Raceway-Indianapolis,In
Don't Skimp on your gear, sometimes you can find Boots/ Leathers second hand in great shape, if cost is a factor, new Danise cost about 1800.00
The endurance races are the best for seat time !!!!!!!/ track time !!!!!!
Come down to Firebird and check it out, i think at pir they may still have track days.
Take the time to properly setup your ride !!!! get the shocks done !!! and don't cheap out on your TIRES !!! oem race or slicks, I rode with Michelins.
And most of all have fun, any questions give me a p.m.
Scott, CCS #556
So if I get a 600 I can ride in any class? If thats the case I'm going that route. I always double class at the mx races for more track time too.

Sane Asylum
09-09-2005, 03:53 PM
So if I get a 600 I can ride in any class? If thats the case I'm going that route. I always double class at the mx races for more track time too.
You can ALWAYS race up.......But not down......And like everyone else on here has said, the 600's are pretty damn fun.......

SnakeWrench
09-11-2005, 03:43 PM
Tommy Hayden smoked the 750 field in 2004 on the Kawi zx6r (636). I bought a new ZX6R this year and its and its an amazing bike. The 600's are so much more fun to ride in my oppinion.
I agree. They are a hell of a lot more fun to ride than 750's.

DEEZ NUTTS
09-12-2005, 06:39 PM
Picked up a new 600 saturday. Need to get myself geared up and should be able to hit the next track day.
http://www2.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/830112_1255_Small_.JPG

77charger
09-12-2005, 06:45 PM
cant go wrong with a gixxer.NIce bike
IMO i still prefer the 750