PDA

View Full Version : Is This True?????

OOfatso
11-16-2002, 11:07 AM
Hey Guy's!
A little help here! I have got about 230 hrs on my 500HP EFI, and I got some info from someone that Mercrusier recommends that at 300hrs, the motor should be gone through?.... My feelings are that if my cylider compression is still OK (150lbs) on all 8 cyliders its still a good Engine. Please let me know if anyone knows anything different!!! Oh Ya, by the way, to go through the motor is approxamitly $4K!!!!!
"OO"fatso
eek! $ eek! $ eek! $

BOFH
11-16-2002, 11:15 AM
Compression test, (all within %10) leakdown test, oil pressure, spring pressure, and accessories. (distributer, water pump, thermostat) This is all that is checked or fixed in a rebuild. If all of the above are fine, don't touch it. However, it may be the outdrive that needs "going through" and someone else will have to field that one.

OOfatso
11-16-2002, 11:20 AM
BOFH:
Compression test, (all within %10) leakdown test, oil pressure, spring pressure, and accessories. (distributer, water pump, thermostat) This is all that is checked or fixed in a rebuild. If all of the above are fine, don't touch it. However, it may be the outdrive that needs "going through" and someone else will have to field that one.Thanks BofH,
I think that I should be able to find out the stuff that you mentioned yto be a little cheaper. As far as oil pressure, at idle is 20lbs, and just a increase of 500rpm it shots up to 60 lbs. and as far as water goes , the boat has never, never ben hotter the 180 degree's. I also change the impeller every year!
"OO"fatso
:D

502procharger
11-20-2002, 10:44 PM
no way in hell do you need to go through that motor. check all above things and run it. i ran a bbc 454 900 hrs and i beat the shit out of my stuff and i only rebuilt it b/c of a head gasket.
keep track of the vitals and keep running it.

Rexone
11-20-2002, 11:25 PM
Now while I realize a boat engine is under much more stress and wear than a car engine, lets do a little comparison. Your average car engine with proper care will go lets say 150000 mi or more. Lets use 150000. 150000 miles at lets say 60 mph as an average speed figure. That translates into 2500 hours on the average car engine give or take a few hours.
300 hours ain't shit if properly maintained IMHO. Unless the engine is abused or a very high horsepower race deal which this isn't I think Merc's pullin someone's chain here. I too have had boat engines go many hundred hours if not 1000+ without coming apart for rebuild. It does depend on the circumstances, the engine, the maintenence, etc. but I think 300's way on the light side for most any type on non-race type performance engine.

OOfatso
11-21-2002, 02:33 PM
Hey Guy's,
thanks for your feelings on this issue! It sounded a little over the top for me too! I think that maybe that 300 hr statement is for the guy who races for $$$$$... God know's I dont race for money!
"OO" fatso
:D