PDA

View Full Version : The Quality Of Extreem trailers

Flying Tiger
09-09-2005, 04:08 PM
My Extreme Boat trailer was committing suicide the last year I owned it.
Within two years old it was rusting pretty badly,, falling apart too.
I take very good care of my stuff. Never in salt either.
I've had saltwater boat trailers not galvanized or stainless,, just a cheap-o trailer that held up better in salt than my Extreme did in fresh.
I'll be buying another new boat probably spring,, and maybe will pass on Extreme this time.
Who else makes a good trailer that may perhaps hold up to the Colorado river water?

rivercrazy
09-09-2005, 04:11 PM
Hmmm. My Extreme has been flawless so far. Been dipped in both salt and consistently at the river. No rust, cracks, issues of any kind. But I ante'd up for their Galvatube trailer. Great fit/finish and quality throughout

Havasu Hangin'
09-09-2005, 04:11 PM
All trailers rust- it really depends on the quality of the paint. I guess you could go powdercoat...but according to jrocket, it's tough to fix if you scratch it.

Tom Brown
09-09-2005, 04:15 PM
I recommend Holsclaw trailers with no reservations. :cool:

Havasu Hangin'
09-09-2005, 04:16 PM
I recommend Holsclaw trailers with no reservations. :cool:
You don't need to make a reservation? :confused:

Tom Brown
09-09-2005, 04:17 PM
You don't need to make a reservation? :confused:
Actually, it would be a good idea. There aren't a lot of new production positions available. :D

mike37
09-09-2005, 04:28 PM
my boat is on an intertec trailer and it has held up great

locogringo
09-09-2005, 07:28 PM
Extreme is using Cosmolyne (sp?) (protectant wax) inside their tubes to better circumvent the effects of salt and water. This is what is used inside all the rails of the cars/trucks etc. particularly the European ones but now it seems that everyone is using it across the board.
I believe it is an option though not something that is included.

welk2party
09-09-2005, 07:31 PM
My trailer has been great. My only complaint is that the surge brake hardware on the tongue is not stainless. I have rust marks and the hardware is completely rusted. Other than that...GREAT!

Lake Ape
09-09-2005, 07:45 PM
I hate to refer anyone here over to a wakeboarding site but check out this thread.....Extreme Trailers (http://www.wakeworld.com/MB/Discus/messages/3183/253146.html?1126227032)

RiverToysJas
09-09-2005, 07:51 PM
My Extreme has had several issues, but Extreme has been very good about taking care of them. Including new axles at less than a year.
Also check out Shadow Trailers in Cypress.
RTJas :D

CJ
09-09-2005, 08:35 PM
I love my Extreme, had a regular one for 5 years, no rust, and now I have a Galvatube one and hit the ocean with it a few times and no rust. Haven't checked under the diamond plate tho.
Haven't heard many bad stories about them. Remember, there aren't many companies that there isn't a complaint or two hangin' around.
Just stay away from the ones that have regular complaints. Make sure you post how your experience with Extreme is if you decide to talk to them about the issue.

Flying Tiger
09-09-2005, 08:36 PM
I hate to refer anyone here over to a wakeboarding site but check out this thread.....Extreme Trailers (http://www.wakeworld.com/MB/Discus/messages/3183/253146.html?1126227032)
http://www.wakeworld.com/MB/Discus/messages/3183/253147.jpg
Brutal wasnt it!!!
The exact same crap I was going through!
And I mean in about 12 months that rust set in.
Not a good trailer, and they never returned my calls, and I even talked to one of the owners at the boat show,, he assured me he'd get back,, nope,, and no returned call from my follow ups either,,,,,,,
glad to read some of you got service

xs ultra
09-09-2005, 08:42 PM
I got a extreme built in 02 The engineering is right,trailers greats------but I'm pulling off the dam fenders the winter so I can fit the F**king rust by the diamond plate on both side of the trailer.I take care of the trailer too. Only be in fresh water.I polish the trailer . Just plain shitty prep/paint work.I thought I was the only one with this problem.

RiverToysJas
09-09-2005, 08:43 PM
Just stay away from the ones that have regular complaints. Make sure you post how your experience with Extreme is if you decide to talk to them about the issue.
Maybe some people aren't complaining because they don't want Extreme to stop taking care of their issues. ;)
RTJas :D

BigDogIvan
09-09-2005, 08:46 PM
I have an 6 year old Hoss that the only thing wrong is the brakes(self inflicted problem). Never been in salt a couple rock nic's(i don't know how you can avoid).
BD

SPECTRABRENT
09-09-2005, 09:00 PM
TRy Ellis Trailers.
Brent

djunkie
09-09-2005, 09:48 PM
TRy Ellis Trailers.
Brent
My Ellis is going on 16 years old and it is in great shape. I've even had it in salt water a few times. It's got a little rust starting on the steps but not bad for being 16 years old.

FreshTracks
09-09-2005, 09:59 PM
I've had Extreme trailers for 8 years with no problems with the trailer itself. A few years ago the jack went out, and Extreme replaced it on the spot no questions asked, no bill. Very good customer service overall IMO.

charlyox
09-10-2005, 03:20 AM
I have an Extreme trailer that is rusting also. I don't know why they use those shitty Carlisle tires.

Freak
09-10-2005, 03:49 AM
If you can pass on all the flash get a all aluminum and stainless Rolls Axle trailer. Even the brakes hardware is stainless. No more rust - EVER.
http://www.rollsaxle.com/

NashvilleBound
09-10-2005, 04:05 AM
My Extreme had an axle bend.....they said I overloaded it...I guess too many life jackets or something. I ended up fixing it myself....I paid for everything.... Why is it nobody stands behind their products any more...they sure are getting good prices for them....in full....sometimes up front. I wish I could get someone to pay me upfront for my services.

Beer-30
09-10-2005, 04:12 AM
I am extremely happy with the Zieman that is under Beer-30. No abnormal tire wear. Disc brakes work wonderfully. Couldn't ask for better tracking. Smoothed and bodyworked welds. Going on 5 years old, and the only thing replaced so far is the lights (to LEDs). This winter I will replace the bunks as a precautionary measure.

bgchuby01
09-10-2005, 05:01 AM
there is only one supreme trailer, If you look at most of the race boats and large offshore boats they sit on myco trailers. they make them in steel or aluminum and if you use aluminum they will paint it to match your boat. Their trailers are made from blueprints from your boat mfg blueprints so they fit perfect.

superdave013
09-10-2005, 05:18 AM
It seems to me that any trailer that's made out of boxed tubing is gonna rust. How can it not? Well I guess you could use 316L stainless tube. Now that would be bad ass! lol
There are lots of 25+ year old Compettive trailers out there.

Froggystyle
09-10-2005, 07:31 AM
A couple of items to note...
One of the problems you are seeing under the diamond plate is misleading. One of the things that we noticed was that basic silicone sealant, when used under stuff like diamond plate for adhesive does two things... One... eat the paint and two... never dries. I know they tried to hold those things on without fasteners so they wouldn't have to penetrate the paint with the drill and fastener... opening up an opportunity to corrode. Looks like it may have backfired on them and the cheap silicone is coming loose. I mention this because it was probably used as a solution to a problem that backfired.
Regarding customer service, I can't attest negatively to Extreme's. I had a problem with a Carlise back a few years ago that tattooed the side of my boat and trashed the trailer. Without a hassle, they repaired the gel, new fenders and paint job and four new tires. One phone call... done deal.
I hate the Carlises as well (had one go bad this weekend in fact) and won't spec them for our boats. I am still tossed up as to whether or not I am going to spec out 8 lugs and full size axles as stock items as they are considerably heavier, but also heavier duty and match the bolt pattern on most people's tow vehicles.
Bottom line is, I don't want to make excuses, but I have seen the same thing happen in that picture to perfectly installed paint with wet silicone on it for a year, and I am still choosing Extreme for our stock trailer.
Wes