PDA

View Full Version : Lifted truck mud flaps

nodigg
09-10-2005, 06:20 AM
Anyone else been pulled over yet and cited or am I just special? Seriously I got pulled over doing 75 in a 75 just west of Kingman last week and cited for no mud guards. The citation is not recorded, you sign it off yourself, and there is not fine. Holy Moly!

riverbound
09-10-2005, 06:28 AM
How high??
I used to get pulled over in this all the time, for no mudflaps. Usually the cop would let us off because he got sidetracked by the paint :cool:
http://www2.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/681JASON_FLAME_TRUCK.jpg

Vada
09-10-2005, 06:30 AM
wtf? :confused:

Mardonzi
09-10-2005, 06:33 AM
I've been pulled over in Utah for it. The UHP cop stated that Utah law requires mudflaps that cover the tire from the centerline of axle up. Now from what I've seen on any stock 4WD pickup, not a single one comes off the showroom complying with this law.

Vada
09-10-2005, 06:35 AM
what a retarded law! :hammerhea

Jordy
09-10-2005, 06:36 AM
In Arizona if you lift/modify it you're supposed to run mudflaps. I've never encountered any problems with modified trucks in over 10 years (knocking on wood right now) although they technically haven't been lifted. On an interesting side note, you can take a Tahoe, Suburban, Excursion, or the like, put a 36" lift on it with 60" tires and you don't need mud flaps. The law only applies to trucks. :D

nodigg
09-10-2005, 06:38 AM
I was informed that if you are higher than stock, in AZ, you must have mudflaps. I think I pissed him off when I slowed down for the zone I know to be a speed trap. He tailed me for a few miles then hit me with the lights. Maybe he was jsut bored?
Oh, and I have a 6/2 lift.

nodigg
09-10-2005, 06:40 AM
In Arizona if you lift/modify it you're supposed to run mudflaps. I've never encountered any problems with modified trucks in over 10 years (knocking on wood right now) although they technically haven't been lifted. On an interesting side note, you can take a Tahoe, Suburban, Excursion, or the like, put a 36" lift on it with 60" tires and you don't need mud flaps. The law only applies to trucks. :D
Now that makes sense! NOT! But yup, its the law. This cop was going on about how he has had his windshield hit by rocks from lifed tucks. I held back the temptation to try to tell him my tread was so aggressive it will not hold rocks.

Jordy
09-10-2005, 06:41 AM
Now that makes sense! NOT! But yup, its the law. This cop was going on about how he has had his windshield hit by rocks from lifed tucks. I held back the temptation to try to tell him my tread was so aggressive it will not hold rocks.
Here it is, right out of ARS:
28-958.01. Rear fender splash guards
A. A person shall not operate a truck, trailer, semitrailer or bus on a highway unless the vehicle is equipped with rear fender splash guards that comply with the specifications provided in this section.
B. The splash guards:
1. Shall be attached in a manner that prevents the splashing of mud or water on the windshield of other motor vehicles.
2. Shall extend to a length of not more than eight inches from the ground.
3. Shall be wide enough to cover the full tread or treads of the tires being protected.
4. Shall be installed close enough to the tread surface of the tire or wheel to control the side throw of the bulk of the thrown road surface material.
5. May be constructed of a flexible rubberized material.
6. Shall be attached in a manner that, regardless of movement either in the splash guards or the vehicle, the splash guards retain their general parallel relationship to the tread surface of the tire or wheel under all ordinary operating conditions.
C. This section does not apply to:
1. A vehicle commonly known as a pickup truck with a manufacturer's rating of three-quarter ton or less, except that this section applies if the pickup truck has been modified from the original bumper height design to raise the center of gravity of the pickup truck.
2. A truck tractor or converter dolly when used in combination with another vehicle.
3. A single axle trailer with fenders wide enough to cover the full tread or treads of the tires being protected and that extend to a length of not more than fourteen inches from the ground.

nodigg
09-10-2005, 06:43 AM
Maybe he jsut got out of a mudflap update training seminar?

HM
09-10-2005, 06:47 AM
We have the same law in CA. I used to get them all the time. I didn't mind them as that was the ticket they would give me instead of a speading ticket. In CA, you have to have the cops sign it off. I don't know what the specific height is, but I think all trucks are supposed to have them. The Temecula Police love to give this ticket - I have a buddy who gets that ticket several times a year from the Temecula Cops.

UnionJack
09-10-2005, 06:49 AM
I got one outside goodyear, AZ